Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm in (oh god please don't be an incredibly long or expensive run)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

You got 454. Batman/Daredevil King of New York. If you can't find a convenient way to obtain this, considering it's a crossover comic and therefore never reprinted ever, let me know. I'll grant a reroll, considering how much of a rights nightmare intercompany/Amalgam stuff is.

Hell yea these are my two favorite characters

SMP
May 5, 2009

Justice was one of the first comics I ever read so I like it probably more than I should (though now I don't really like Alex Ross at all). I was like 15 and had just seen The Dark Knight so it was actually cool as hell to see like every DC villain/hero in one story.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Batman/Dardevil: King of New York

I lucked out by getting assigned a 40-page one shot starring my two favorites, but unfortunately the quality didn’t live up to the premise. I suppose I shouldn’t have expected much from an 18 year old company crossover, but the quality of recent DC crossovers, like King’s Batman/Elmer Fudd, had me interested.

King of New York is a pretty uninspired fare, with a boilerplate story and artwork. Daredevil and Batman team-up to track Scarecrow across Gotham and eventually New York because he’s going to do his fear gas thing again. Yawn. There’s no real exploration of the relationship or differences between the two characters (again, what was I expecting?), they just coexist and do their things together this time. It’s simply about smashing toys together with purple-ish prose narration.

Catwoman’s presence in the comic seems to only be driven by the artist’s love for her rear end. Just about every panel she’s in has her breaking her back to shove her rear end at another character or the camera. Otherwise, she doesn’t have any reason to be in the story, she just hands off some of Kingpin’s files to Scarecrow’s guys at the beginning.

Though to be fair, Daredevil is on some weird poo poo as well.

Scarecrow seems like a natural fit for Daredevil though, and it would be cool to see that crossover done again today by someone like Tom King or Mark Waid. Although Waid already traumatized Daredevil in his run with the Purple children arc, so I’m not sure what else could be explored there.

All in all I can’t say I’d recommend bothering with this unless you have a huge desire to read the company crossover that will never happen again (until Disney buys WB).

SMP
May 5, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

It's six volumes unless there's been a re-release that I'm overlooking (source: the books are less than two feet from my head).

Daredevil has a villain called Mr. Fear who also has a fear gas which makes having him chase down the Scarecrow seem a bit odd; he already fights his own version of that character. Daredevil versus pretty much any other Batman villain seems more interesting.

Ah that's true, I forgot about him. He's the one who fridged Matt's girlfriend, right?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Which one? I thought Bullseye was the leading cause of death among Daredevil's paramours.

Milla, the blind one. I think Brubaker's run had Mr. Fear put her in a coma.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I've always been very skeptical of the Superman-as-an-immigrant take. I admittedly haven't read much Superman outside of the hits, but I find it really hard to compare Clark and his upbringing to that of an immigrant. Like yeah sure, he's an alien with superpowers that he has to suppress, but he's also a traditionally handsome straight white guy raised in Kansas by two white parents. There's no way he faced any of the same challenges actual immigrants face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I mean, yes, that's sort of the intentional dramatic irony of Superman and also part of why the immigrant argument can be easily criticized, but on the other hand Superman was the creation of two Jewish sons of immigrants escaping persecution at the hands of the Russian Empire, during a time when Nazism was on the rise in Central Europe. Like, his race is part of the coding of his character - he's meant to be the perfect embodiment of German eugenic supremacy, and he spent that time punching Hitler in the face. And, I mean, there's the time when Superman basically literally helped destroy the Ku Klux Klan, so much of his character even early on has been a reflection and the destruction of nativist supremacy arguments.

You can even argue that Superman is essentially the concept of the Jewish golem given comic form.

To me this sounds more like Superman's real-world origin and history is the ultimate immigrant story, rather than Superman himself being the story of an immigrant.

• Locked thread