Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Slam that motherfucking button for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What's an Anita Blake?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hoo boy I got a fun one apparently

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Desktop is an option for MU still

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll do buy the trades for Anita Blake when I get paid on the 18th.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is there any chance I could get another roll to do in the meantime while I wait to get paid so I can get the Anita Blake trades? Preferably something easier to get a hold of through comixology or something.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Okay, but you're toxxing for both then.

You got 51. Fantastic Four: Unthinkable (Waid/Wieringo). One of the best FF stories of all time! This story runs from FF vol. 3 #67-70 and issue 500. Every issue is on MU.

Oh neat. I can do that right now.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alright, I finished Unthinkable pretty fast, so here are my thoughts. I'm still learning how to articulate my thoughts on comics, so my review isn't going to be anything special.

So, story-wise, I felt this was a strong arc, and it makes me interested in reading the rest of Waid's run on Fantastic Four sometime. I'm missing context on a lot of what happened in this, and while I did think Doom killing his girlfriend and turning her skin into his armor was probably a bit too much, I do think it does show how cruel Doom is during this time period pretty well. The rest of the arc has a lot of good character moments from Thing, but probably the standout character here is Reed. I don't know how many times Reed has learned this lesson before and after this arc, but the important part of this one was that it made me feel like this was new ground for him: Having to admit that magic is way outside of his expertise, and he's just unable to be as useful as he can be. Topped off with the finale of him sending Doom flying while borrowing Ben's catchphrase, it makes for a satisfying bit of character development.

As for the art, I must admit, I really miss art like this in mainstream superhero comics. It feels like the majority of it goes for that kinda bland looking DC house style, where everything is drawn realistically, and any kind of art that feels cartoon-ish is relegated to comedy series. It works really well here, and it's nice looking at the vivid colors and exaggerated faces. That may just be a me thing though, because most people I talk to don't really like the look of comics from this era too much.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty solid Fantastic Four arc, at least, for somebody who hasn't exactly read too much Fantastic Four.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I finally managed to read through Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Guilty Pleasures and good God did I not enjoy that.

The art is some of the worst Brett Booth art I've ever seen, and holy poo poo is that saying a lot.

(I had to look up some scans online for this, and they seem to be old ones too. The print editions aren't much better looking though.)

This is just from the first few pages, and there's just something so off about the coloring that makes Booth's art even more unflattering to look at.

I have no idea what the books read like, and I never heard of it before this, so I can't judge how it works as an adaptation. I finished this book feeling like the source material is probably just as trashy as the comic adaptation.

Which is why, what Anita Blake really needs is to embrace the garbage schlock and get a CW adaptation.

It's perfect for CW. Also Fang-Face is an excellent insult for a vampire. Unfortunately, it felt like this adaptation just did not want to be silly often enough for me.

Overall, really not worth checking out. Definitely deserves suck a low ranking.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah. I didn't have a whole lot to say on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just want a new printing of the trade for that more than anything but that's not going to happen.

• Locked thread