Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arena of Valor is a 5v5 mobile MOBA designed by Tencent Games. Its been out for a while in other countries and launched in the US last month. Its F2P and as far as I can tell really the only thing you'll spend real money on are skins which can't be bought with gold. All of the other characters can be bought with gold and there are 6 free rotating characters.

Characters:
These are all the ones currently available world wide but some of them are not out in the US yet but I would expect them to show up eventually.

Here is a Tier list - https://mobilegamerhub.com/arena-of-valor/tier-list/tulen-patch-tier-list/ Obv Superman is S Tier but we don't have him yet.

Also play 3 ranked games as soon as you can because you get Violet for free and she is pretty good.

Goon Guild : StolenGoonValor (case sensitive can join at level 6)

Helpful links:

http://toucharcade.com/2018/01/02/arena-of-valor-beginners-guide-the-basics-of-a-moba/
https://mobilegamerhub.com/arena-of-valor
https://aovstats.zam.com

This is from August

quote:

Honor of Kings, the iOS and Android smash-hit that’s the world’s top grossing game right now, just helped Tencent, China’s social media giant, hit US$15.7 billion in revenue from April to June – that’s compared with US$10 billion the same period last year.

That resulted in a major milestone: Tencent’s mobile game revenues surpassed those from PC for the first time.

It marks a major shift in China, where PC-era multiplayer titles like World of Warcraft, League of Legends, and Crossfire, either played at home or in nicotine-stained “internet cafes”, have been popular for decades.

It pulled in US$828 million in the first three months of the year, according to gaming industry database CNG. Tencent did not disclose revenue specific to the game in its earnings report this afternoon.

Tencent, maker of WeChat, could see its revenue surge again later this year as it rumored to take the hit game to the US and Europe, where it’ll be renamed Arena of Valor.

Honor of Kings has proved so popular this year in China that Tencent came under attack from Chinese authorities, which branded it “harmful to the psychology of minors.” Tencent in July was forced to limit the hours underage users can access the game. The ban restricts kids under 12 to one hour of game play per day and limits users under 18 to two hours, reported Reuters at the time.

So the game is loving huge and it is actually a lot of fun. I'm terrible at MOBAs and I really enjoy the 3v3s for how quick and dirty they are. The 5v5s are a little long but they are still fun.

Come join the guild and kill dudes with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Reserved for something I guess.

Also I increased the guild size to 25 and I can go up to 30 but I'm not sure what the max. Maybe if there is enough interest we can find out.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Reserved for something I guess.

Also I increased the guild size to 25 and I can go up to 30 but I'm not sure what the max. Maybe if there is enough interest we can find out.

Max guild size seems to be 150. I read that it costs premium currency to increase the cap. I'm having fun with this.

I'm thinking of getting the Beginner Hero Pack (Azzen'Ka, Taara, Omega) from the shop and I think you get a hero for buying IAP for the first time as well (Zephys). I still haven't completed the Road to Glory, so I still have plenty of heroes to unlock from that. And I'm working on my 3 ranked games to get Violet.

I love how the game gives you a nice roster for playing, and I can't wait for the DC characters.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Roshambo posted:

Max guild size seems to be 150. I read that it costs premium currency to increase the cap. I'm having fun with this.

I'm thinking of getting the Beginner Hero Pack (Azzen'Ka, Taara, Omega) from the shop and I think you get a hero for buying IAP for the first time as well (Zephys). I still haven't completed the Road to Glory, so I still have plenty of heroes to unlock from that. And I'm working on my 3 ranked games to get Violet.

I love how the game gives you a nice roster for playing, and I can't wait for the DC characters.

Ah ok yeah 150 is probably expensive as poo poo to unlock. I spent 499 tickets to go up to 25 members and it looks like it costs 699 to go up to 30. So if it keeps scaling like that I bet it’s about $100 to get 150 going from 145.

I have tickets left over so if we need to go up to 30 I’m down.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why the gently caress are superman and joker there?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Why the gently caress not?!?

Probably the same reason you see them in puzzles and dragons. Cross promotional stuff.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

DC Whores out their superheroes.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I maxxed out the TouchArcade guild at 150, it cost me around $300. Each size upgrade is more expensive than the last.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

io_burn posted:

I maxxed out the TouchArcade guild at 150, it cost me around $300. Each size upgrade is more expensive than the last.

How do the rewards scale with guild size? I noticed that as I increased the size it takes more points to get the first reward.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

MarcusSA posted:

How do the rewards scale with guild size? I noticed that as I increased the size it takes more points to get the first reward.

They cap out at 800 gold, 43 gems, and one hero trial card for each member.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m really kinda terrible at this game but it is a lot of fun.

That tip is pretty awesome.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Just joined as snowmank

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So what are people spending gems on? I’m guessing the lucky orb is the best bet?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Is MVP only determined by how much gold you obtain in the match? I just played a game where I was a controller healer with over half the kills on the team but a guy with 2 kills but lived 90% of the time in the jungle farming get MVP. I never saw him near a tower or the enemy base.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

MarcusSA posted:

So what are people spending gems on? I’m guessing the lucky orb is the best bet?

The "best" thing to spend them on, if you don't care about skins is the gold doubler (or maybe the xp doubler if you're impatient to level).

edit: In the guild as SlothHugger and my ~*girlfriend*~ is LadyDiana.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

devilmouse posted:

The "best" thing to spend them on, if you don't care about skins is the gold doubler (or maybe the xp doubler if you're impatient to level).

edit: In the guild as SlothHugger and my ~*girlfriend*~ is LadyDiana.

Ah I didn’t even think about the gold doubler that’s a good call.

I also increased the guild size to 35 since we filled up.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
All I know is that I either play amazing or abysmal with no middle ground.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Campbell posted:

All I know is that I either play amazing or abysmal with no middle ground.

So much this lol. Honestly even if I’m sucking I still enjoy it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah one game it’ll feel like every time I even glance at someone they explode. Then the next I’m getting killed in a blink despite trying to be super cautious. Pretty sure it’s the difference between teams voice chatting to call targets or not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of voice chat has anyone actually used it? I imagine it’s terrible with pubbies.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Speaking of voice chat has anyone actually used it? I imagine it’s terrible with pubbies.

It's worse than you can imagine. My one experience with it was someone yelling in garbled Spanish. I couldn't decipher what they were saying, but I'm pretty sure they were insulting my play style. We lost, I got MVP, so I'm pretty sure it was a Brazilian.

I would love a discord if the game gets popular enough among goons.

Also, I unlocked Zill because I wanted to test the Tier List in the OP. His High damage self invuln Ultimate, and the ability to teleport a good distance on a super short cooldown make him pretty insane. Went 18-1-10 on him in the first ranked match I played with him albeit bronze league. Second ranked match was 8-2-14. His ult is a free kill on a single target, or just shits damage on the whole team in a real fight without any penalty because you can just kind of teleport in, and if it doesn't kill everyone, teleport out.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Roshambo posted:

It's worse than you can imagine. My one experience with it was someone yelling in garbled Spanish. I couldn't decipher what they were saying, but I'm pretty sure they were insulting my play style. We lost, I got MVP, so I'm pretty sure it was a Brazilian.

I would love a discord if the game gets popular enough among goons.

Also, I unlocked Zill because I wanted to test the Tier List in the OP. His High damage self invuln Ultimate, and the ability to teleport a good distance on a super short cooldown make him pretty insane. Went 18-1-10 on him in the first ranked match I played with him albeit bronze league. Second ranked match was 8-2-14. His ult is a free kill on a single target, or just shits damage on the whole team in a real fight without any penalty because you can just kind of teleport in, and if it doesn't kill everyone, teleport out.

I prefer Zephys over Zill. Insane mobility, short cooldowns and high damage. Jump in, explode someone, get out, repeat...

He's great at ganking from the Jungle as well. I go: red buff, small camp, blue buff, two small camps on blue side, that'll get level 4 and your ultimate before everyone else, then gank a lane, hopefully get a kill and then kill the mini-dragon with your top laner. (started playing just over a 2 weeks ago and currently up to gold 4).

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
My voice chat experience:

-Someone yelling in Chinese anytime anyone on our team died.
-Someone playing in what sounded like the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant.
-Someone yelling in Chinese who spoke enough English to tell us how bad and gay we were.
-Two people with non-English names yelling at each other in Chinese.

I have since disabled it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I finally unlocked Violet and drat she is a lot of fun to play.

I like her skills except the one where she rolls into the dudes she's targeting. That might be handy if the person is low on health and you can kill them but drat besides that I never use it lol.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Heh, her first skill (the roll) is the reason she's top-tier. Being able to outrange people, to reset your attack, get away and more all on a single fairly low cooldown skill is so good. You don't have to roll towards them though. :)

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Yeah that roll ability is the entire reason to play Violet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I'm just terrible at this game then ha!

She is fun though I'm gonna have to put more games in with her.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Is there a trick to playing other roles in ranked beyond tank/support? It seems like when I join ranked games people instantly lock in ADC/Mid/Jungle. If I try to lock in one of those roles, my idiot team will just spam the "I'll Jungle!" macro or whatever it says, if I don't change to tank or support, we'll have two junglers. Is the key to just not give a gently caress and play the role you want even if it fucks your team? I really wish this game had League of Legends style role queuing when searching for games.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Ugh, I wish. The insta-locks get a little better the higher you climb in ranks, but it's still people spamming "I'll jungle!!!" with Butterfly. To get around it, I'll often pick someone flexible (Lu Bu is my goto tank/dps/jungler) and just go top and enjoy a soothing solo lane and occasionally invade the enemy jungle during a wave) or grab a mage and go bot and say gently caress it and fight your carry for creeps.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Welcome to MOBAs.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Virtue posted:

Welcome to MOBAs.

Not all MOBAs, LoL solved this problem by allowing you to queue for the role you want and it's pretty rare for you to come across people in this queue who are like "gently caress you I queued for support but I'm playing ADC." Matching takes a tiny bit longer, but it's so, so worth it.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So I have never played a MOBA, I have just been shooting dudes with Violet and the Dwarf with a Cannon.

What roles are there? And what should I be doing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

So I have never played a MOBA, I have just been shooting dudes with Violet and the Dwarf with a Cannon.

lol I have no loving idea I just do the same thing.

I'm going to guess that jungling means you go off to the sides of the lanes and kill the NPCs there for gold and xp for your team. So you could do that.

I'm also probably terribly wrong because I have no idea about MOBAs

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Snowmankilla posted:

http://toucharcade.com/2018/01/02/arena-of-valor-beginners-guide-the-basics-of-a-moba/#typical_team_positioning

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Thanks!

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Getting back into the game, now that I knows that Goons are playing. Joined the Guild as Mancalledm.

EDIT: Hate to be "That Guy", but you guys might want to grow the Guild, since I just joined the last slot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The man called M posted:

Getting back into the game, now that I knows that Goons are playing. Joined the Guild as Mancalledm.

EDIT: Hate to be "That Guy", but you guys might want to grow the Guild, since I just joined the last slot.

I just kicked someone who hadn't been on in like 4 days and was some rando.

Also how do people log on but not get any points for doing stuff? Are you just logging on for the rewards? I don't really care its just weird to see people logging on but not doing anything lol.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

huh this game is actually pretty fun

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
What I saw in my guild was people logging in for daily rewards but not playing to get guild activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

It has been a busy week, but what do I need to do to help the guild?

• Locked thread