Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Applied to the guild. Game is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Applying to guild as idiotsavant. What are best new free chars to learn to play MOBA mans? Best ones for 3v3 as well? I imagine they need to be a little more rounded for smaller games

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I restarted on US/Canada Servers and applied as Mr.PayDay

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Applied to the dumb guild as LimpingNeedle

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Btw no idea how active people are on this but I’m just going to start adding people for friend bonus matches and such.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Considering I still haven’t been accepted into the guild I’d say not.

You can add me. Name above

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Got my first salty report for beating a team so badly today. :circlefap:

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah the guild seems dead, like 75% of the players haven’t logged in for well over a month, including the guild leader.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Season reset on the 1st, lots of bad plays happening in the lowers now. Pretty sure a Yorn is going to merk my family because he was feeding and I made fun of his in-game farm but he thought I meant his real farm.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Had you added but then I accidentally pres butaned and removed you.

Re:Yorn, love how it’s an auto pick for people no matter how many marksmen are already selected, and then the Yorn is inevitably terrible at knowing how to ADC.

Also love when I’m hanging on to a 1v2 all early game long and hoping that my team will be able to use the statistical advantage on other lanes but nope. At least I’m getting sort of ok with Lu Bu.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Are you still in Silver? I am and it seems pretty toxic. I've been focusing on Violet, Zephys, and Krixi for some variation when needed. Trying to figure out who to buy next. I'm thinking maybe Kriknak or Lauriel.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Virigoth posted:

Are you still in Silver? I am and it seems pretty toxic. I've been focusing on Violet, Zephys, and Krixi for some variation when needed. Trying to figure out who to buy next. I'm thinking maybe Kriknak or Lauriel.

Butterfly is pretty good for stomping noobs.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah, I’m in Silver II right now and it’s stupid and toxic as gently caress. Lately it’s been people taking half of my jungle and then going apeshit when I ask them not to, then I end up under-leveled and underfarmed as a result and am basically useless as Butterfly or Violet and we gradually lose.

I haven’t bought any heros because a) a lot of the good ones are way too expensive; b) I’m saving all my gold for arcana; and c) you already get some of the best heros for free. I might buy Chuagnar because apparently he’s pretty decent at higher play levels and he’s really cheap; 1888 gold.

Right now I play a lot of Lu Bu ‘cause a decent Lu Bu can carry team fights pretty hard and can do awesome stuff in Silver with his ult, plus everyone at this level instapicks as many Yorns and Valheims as possible so a decent tank is good. I’m ok but not great at Violet (mainly because people pick ADC no matter what’s already been picked) and I’ve been practicing Butterfly just because she can gently caress poo poo up big time when teams you face are three ADC and a mage.

The heros I want to focus on now are basically:
Lu Bu (I think he suits my play style best so far)
Violet
Butterfly (mainly for Silver where teams are 3 ADC and a mage and she can gently caress everyone up)
Zephys
Ormarr
Thane
Chuagnar if I end up getting him

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I bought The Joker and he is really fun to play.
He needs some games to get used to. He his squishy but his rocket gives great reach. He works best as support DPS and can finish off hurt targets with his burst (Punchline Pistol Shot and Killing Joke Rocket followed by Canned Laughter). Flanking and sneaking up to harass and terrorize foes is amazing, his voicelines add the smug on top of it.
You need movement speed tho, I was hunted and followed by pissed enemies almost every game after ganking them in midgame.
In trash ranks, The Joker can as well carry games if solo laning is avoided. He gets wrecked by tanky and good CC spamming enemies.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Arthur is really good as well, and pretty simple to play. Tons of damage and CC with his ult and super tanky.

I rode Zephys and Arthur to Platinum last season.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Chaugnar is a steal for how cheap he is. I've enjoyed playing him some. I've been doing a lot of LuBu / Zephys matches and still some Violet. With some of the teams I've ended up on Violet seems so squishy / hard to farm that it isn't worth it right now. I'm not sure if that is just my game awareness / lack of farming skill since I've played the game for 2 weeks or not though. With tankier heroes I seem to have a better impact on the team dynamic but I'm trying to be more focused on farm/tower pushing as a lot of the Silver level fights aren't necessary and people making dumb plays.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
I don't know what it is, but people seem especially bad at following up on CC in this game. I'll stun someone and then one of the two autolocking marksmen will just durdle nearby until I die and then either run or die for no reason. It's incredible.

Why is this game fun?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah, it’s kind of awesome when everyone’s circling for a team fight and you get a great dive to knock up four people at once, except half the team somehow disappeared to the corners of the map to clear wave and/or ghost bird, and the only ADC left is focusing down ultra-Cresht as hard as he can

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

idiotsavant posted:

Yeah, it’s kind of awesome when everyone’s circling for a team fight and you get a great dive to knock up four people at once, except half the team somehow disappeared to the corners of the map to clear wave and/or ghost bird, and the only ADC left is focusing down ultra-Cresht as hard as he can

Yeah it’s hard to communicate basic tips without voice chat but I’m not turning that on. I just had my team on the base and we could have won but the starter chasing while my Arthur was slapping the base. We still won because the zephys was sane but it was close. Many lols were had.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash

Virigoth posted:

Yeah it’s hard to communicate basic tips without voice chat but I’m not turning that on. I just had my team on the base and we could have won but the starter chasing while my Arthur was slapping the base. We still won because the zephys was sane but it was close. Many lols were had.

I'm gonna try throwing "Engage!" in the quick chat since I'm slowly becoming main role tank. But if the way people respond to "I need backup!" when three people are attacking my solo lane and they do nothing to help, it's just gonna be more disappointment.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
Applied as dumpingtruck

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Soooo... this game seems totally dead on this forum, yeah?

Also a question about solo queues and MOBAs in general - should I just basically expect it all to be toxic and lovely as gently caress? I'm in Gold IV right now and at least 2-3 players on the team are usually clueless on how things work. I'm not good enough to carry that many useless people. Like, my options are usually to defend tower or to rotate as fast as I can to clear lane because someone keeps chasing and dying over and over. Group with team and lose towers to uncleared waves or clear wave to save the tower and lose the teamfight? Whoops, Fennik declared he was jungle when I picked Butterfly first, but why did he never buy jungle item and why am I outpacing him on kills/assists/farm as loving Chaugnar?

I enjoy the mechanics of the game, but it seems pretty miserable as solo queue, and frankly I don't know how I can get good enough to change that. I can see how it'd work better with friends but as a random poop game I guess it might just not be worth the effort?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Yeah I’ve been trying to add anyone who seems to have a brain so I can queue with people instead of jumping in the poo poo pool.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
If you guys are having trouble with getting people to follow up with initiations, skud and superman are fun to play and good at throwing enemies into your team. Grakk and the king Midas dude are fun too but not as strong.

Seriously try skud he's the best.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Started getting hooked on this game about a month ago, but saw the thread was dead. However, there was recently a fairly large update on mobile and the Switch version just released so I’m hoping that’s revived some interest in my fellow goons.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Just started playing on the Switch. Really solid controls, wish the right stick could move the camera around though. (Maybe it does with a settings option?) It does have a decent amount of screen space vs the mobile version, I couldn't imagine playing on that.

Either way, it's my first standard MOBA (having only played Heroes) and I'm stomping the early casual levels by just having enough MOBA knowledge to learn to back off when low on health and punishing those that don't. That said, a few questions:

1) Is it typical of MOBAs to not have healing? Is that a Heroes thing? I was watching the LoL Worlds last night and was also surprised to see there's very little pure healers.
2) I assume Jungling is much more important here, which characters should I focus on if I want to learn that?
3) Is the goon guild still going strong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Assassins and Marksmen seem to be the go to junglers.

Not sure about the goon guild...

• Locked thread