Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
especially therapists and nurses (or as I call them “health cops”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Whole lota "leftists" who don't feel the proper amount of hatred and contempt for the medical-industrial complex. Scientists are just beaucrats for knowlage, and exist in the same soup of Ideology as anyone else. There are no politically neutral discoveries, the racist computer is just the most obvious case.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
i completely agree that all tenured professors should be executed

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the "while you were partying i studied the blade" meme but it's a guillotine

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

anyone who makes more than $40k USD deserves the blade

ugh. Why does everyone always regress to this dumbass idea that class is defined by income. loving idiots should at least read some wikipedia articles or something. I'm sure Marxism has a simplified english wikipage for you.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its cuz living standards are defined by income and most peeps will never meet a member of the upper class proper in person

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

ugh. Why does everyone always regress to this dumbass idea that class is defined by income. loving idiots should at least read some wikipedia articles or something. I'm sure Marxism has a simplified english wikipage for you.

you should at least suck on my balls gently caress you

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its cuz living standards are defined by income and most peeps will never meet a member of the upper class proper in person

most of the people who think this have no conception of what the upper class are. ive met a few of these people because of where i live and my family. my dad works as a private driver for, among others, a guy who used his trump tax cuts to buy a second, larger private jet. others he or i have driven are merely worth tens of millions of dollars. these people live in a whole different world from you, and they are extremely secretive. if you're squabbling with slightly better off members of the working class over pennies you'll never even be able to grasp at the truth of your conditions, much less have any chance of changing them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fabergay egg posted:

most of the people who think this have no conception of what the upper class are. ive met a few of these people because of where i live and my family. my dad works as a private driver for, among others, a guy who used his trump tax cuts to buy a second, larger private jet. others he or i have driven are merely worth tens of millions of dollars. these people live in a whole different world from you, and they are extremely secretive. if you're squabbling with slightly better off members of the working class over pennies you'll never even be able to grasp at the truth of your conditions, much less have any chance of changing them.

They do a pretty good job of convincing people that their salaried middle management are the actual elite.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I'm really glad that the something awful intellectual elite fell for a troll that loving obvious, no wonder biden won the nomination with such geniuses like y'all running around

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think part of the problem is that it's hard to conceptualize just how much has been extracted from our society by a tiny number of people. "MILLIONAIRES GET THE BLADE" is like, ok, fair enough. But the actual decision-makers in our society who have real, personal power through their economic weight are so very far above them that they're invisible.

The guy currently running Amazon's consumer business on a day to day basis, who is set to retire early at 52 next year and enjoy his winnings, is probably worth something like ~150-200 million dollars (based on a 2018 valuation here https://wallmine.com/people/1370/jeffrey-a-wilke). That's far, far too much money for a single person to have. It's ludicrous wealth.

But this guy is management. His immediate "boss" who actually owns the machine is worth one thousand times as much.

People can't even wrap their brains around this. Take the people you actually see on the daily with too much money who drive a brand new Benz and eat out at a nice restaurant every night. Multiply that by a thousand and you get the guy I described above, who can own a private jet and a mansion in every city he wants to visit more than once. Multiply that by a thousand and you've got Jeff Bezos.

And the politicians, if they're national politicians and have played their cards right, are generally in between the first two people somewhere.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Speleothing posted:

So... Therapists and nurses? Train engineers and truck drivers? Vets and be mass spectrometrists? Machinists and equipment operators too?

Basically everyone outside the service economy?

IDK about therapists but the nurses I know make $650 a week.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Peanut President posted:

I'm really glad that the something awful intellectual elite fell for a troll that loving obvious, no wonder biden won the nomination with such geniuses like y'all running around

I don’t think that’s why Biden won the nomination.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

The Oldest Man posted:

I think part of the problem is that it's hard to conceptualize just how much has been extracted from our society by a tiny number of people. "MILLIONAIRES GET THE BLADE" is like, ok, fair enough. But the actual decision-makers in our society who have real, personal power through their economic weight are so very far above them that they're invisible.

The guy currently running Amazon's consumer business on a day to day basis, who is set to retire early at 52 next year and enjoy his winnings, is probably worth something like ~150-200 million dollars (based on a 2018 valuation here https://wallmine.com/people/1370/jeffrey-a-wilke). That's far, far too much money for a single person to have. It's ludicrous wealth.

But this guy is management. His immediate "boss" who actually owns the machine is worth one thousand times as much.

People can't even wrap their brains around this. Take the people you actually see on the daily with too much money who drive a brand new Benz and eat out at a nice restaurant every night. Multiply that by a thousand and you get the guy I described above, who can own a private jet and a mansion in every city he wants to visit more than once. Multiply that by a thousand and you've got Jeff Bezos.

And the politicians, if they're national politicians and have played their cards right, are generally in between the first two people somewhere.

I have no issue wrapping my brain around the concept that Jeff Bezos ought to meet Lady Guillotine, and that so do Mr. Amazon Consumer Business Manager and Mr. Brand New Benz, given the fact that they willfully allied themselves with Capital and reaped the benefits of exploitation.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

my posting caused 9/11, somethingawful truely is a political powerhouse

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I have no issue wrapping my brain around the concept that Jeff Bezos ought to meet Lady Guillotine, and that so do Mr. Amazon Consumer Business Manager and Mr. Brand New Benz, given the fact that they willfully allied themselves with Capital and reaped the benefits of exploitation.

Guillotines don't work without gravity and one of these guys has his own space program

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Oldest Man posted:

Guillotines don't work without gravity and one of these guys has his own space program

the guillotine's use became widespread because it was relatively humane and efficient. spacing even more easily meets those needs

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Magnetic space guillotine are possible, as well as rail gun style guillotine guns.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
alarming lack of support for the proposal that we guillotine all tenured professors but i guess some people are too in love with theory and its peddlers to understand the counterrevolutionary threat that they pose

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
uh excuse me but the cultural revolution only executed professors who refused to disown reactionary thought like the big bang theory

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
COVID will take care of all the tenured professors over time we don't need to do anything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

Use rockets to move the blade.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
just shoot it down with a missile or laser and call that guillotine

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

uh excuse me but the cultural revolution only executed professors who refused to disown reactionary thought like the big bang theory

Chuck Lorre can live if he writes a show about why guillotining the unaccoutably wealthy is cool and good.

He already wrote an episode of Young Sheldon where the show's namesake discovers and proves communism is the correct system of resource distribution but by the end of the show is shown that "Your entire town including your family will murder you in cold blood if you don't worship the golden calf."

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
rocket powered guillotine

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

spckr posted:

rocket powered guillotine

guillotine powered rocket

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Oldest Man posted:

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1304077503560994818?lang=en

The amount of money we're dealing with when it comes to really serious players is simply beyond comprehension.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Phrased another way, if you -own an average US home free and clear-, no mortgage left, it is slightly higher fraction of your fortune to take the bus down to a pizzeria and back for a $2 slice and coke combo as it would be for this guy to fly first-class from LA to NYC for the chef's menu at Sushi Masa and a bottle of Dom Perignon.

Jeff Bezos could buy a McLaren P1, drive it to dinner, hand the keys to the valet and say "keep it", serve each of an entourage of 50 three pounds of Kobe beef washed down with a bottle of the world's most expensive wine, buy a second P1, drive it home, and bail out while it rolls into the ocean.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

heck its tough to live a good life on 500k these days, I can hardly afford the mortgage on my mansion and dock fees for my yacht these days

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
there's lots of different classes with lots of different negative effects

take, for example, a bunch of six-figure earners fighting public transit plans in order to keep the poors away and scheming to have their 99% white neighborhood secede from the city so their tax dollars won't go to black students in the poor areas. they may not have the same world-altering economic power as a single billionaire, but they're still a plague upon their surroundings

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: I may have done the arithmetic wrong and I am too tired to check.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Sep 26, 2020

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Main Paineframe posted:

there's lots of different classes with lots of different negative effects

take, for example, a bunch of six-figure earners fighting public transit plans in order to keep the poors away and scheming to have their 99% white neighborhood secede from the city so their tax dollars won't go to black students in the poor areas. they may not have the same world-altering economic power as a single billionaire, but they're still a plague upon their surroundings

Ideally, they'd have solidarity with us, too. If it wasn't for the top-most class then they'd be rolling in it.

It's like LBJ said: "If you can convince the six-figure earner they're better than the best five-figure earner, they won't notice you're picking their pocket. Hell, give them somebody to look down on, and they'll empty their pockets for you."

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Send every glasses-wearer to work in the fields, but this being America they're not growing food or anything just corn that will be immediately buried in old mineshafts and called "biofill"

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 01:01 on Sep 27, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posts from the Bad With Money thread:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

quote:

One small silver lining about this pandemic is that it gives us all a moment to sit back, forces us to take a break, and remember that we are all people. We've been holding digital focus groups - we're paying participants too - to get to the bottom of how people view people of means and why they are able to "other-ize" them. We've spent about $21 million on this initiative, $10 million of which, by the way, went directly to paying participants who needed it during the shutdown. We found that just using the word "billionaires" makes people think of them as a monolithic entity, dehumanizes them in other words, and that using the phrases "person of means" or "people of wealth" immediately raised empathy levels. It's fascinating.

Nobody invests in learning things like this, even though we've been going in circles in these debates for decades, that we are just now learning these things - just now learning how to view each other as people. We spend trillions trying to raise people up, but it only took $21 million to understand each other. Reversing that slide of dehumanizing people, every group is starting to other-ize every other group, is a prerequisite to solving this. Understanding between humanity can't begin until we stop categorizing people by their skin color, religion, income, or geography. That is what these studies really tell us.

The best part about the second one is that he thinks a starting school teacher makes $85,000 a year.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Idiots.

Rubes.

Just guillotine everyone with eyeglasses.

This is a solved problem.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

LASIK ruined that concept, that's why people are working on the neural net phrenology stuff

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Flowers For Algeria posted:

If you make too many people "the enemy" that must be executed, you are just a less racist but more jealous hitler. hth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OctaMurk posted:

heck its tough to live a good life on 500k these days, I can hardly afford the mortgage on my mansion and dock fees for my yacht these days

hmm, i wonder why everyone in america, can't have a spacious and luxurious living space and free use of a public dock? I'm sure it's your direct bosses fault, and no one else.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I’m unemployed add me in too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

If you make too many people "the enemy" that must be executed, you are just a less racist but more jealous hitler. hth.

wrongo