Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hell yeah. that time adds up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

it would be fascinating to have an amount of money similar to what my masters degree cost in a bank account but it sounds like an impossible fantasy

right now I have $22

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah I'm pretty comfortable with a small scale disruption of a cultural norm that is really bad for young ultra orthodox men who may one day wish they had done something other than read the Torah all day for 20 years

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Teal posted:

Here literally nothing ever beats the most generic bread in nutrition/price and many a time in my choldhood it was literally just that with butter (or margarine, or pork lard) and salt.

at wal-mart you can buy a "family size" of Cap'n Crunch for about $4 which, let me tell you, is a shitload of sweetened corn conglomerate with corn syrup. I'm super poor so when I go grocery shopping I get my meat/cookables at the regular grocery store for relatively decent prices and then buy garbage at wal-mart for half the price of a better version of the same snack

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Teal posted:

See I don't get how this never leveled out towards that here; you'll pay about that here for the most plainass, zero flavor whatsoever, offbrand corn flakes imaginable here and porridge or semolina or just that bread will be like, half the cost per kj of energy.

corn subsidies

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

sure there is: a lot of people grow corn

ed: well a few rich people, so their influence is equal to a lot of people

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

this made me realize that the first cyborgs are going to be incredibly lame

one of the things the more recent deus ex games did an okay job with. everyone who was mechanically augmented had to take a daily regimen of a drug that prevented their body from rejecting their new limbs, but was also monopolized and sold by the people who manufactured the limbs or something

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

what a piece of poo poo taking a class about inequality. what a maroon. how bourgeois

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

Some days this thread just breaks me down. For whatever reason banal shitheads like that depress me even more than the cartoonishly evil statements from pharma execs etc

same I'm unemployed with a masters degree and I'm alternating between petsittig and not getting called back for minimum wage jobs so these sort of shiftless loci of unearned decadence feel particularly grating in my own relative privation

which makes me wonder exactly how grating it must feel to someone from like Bangladesh

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure it would be legal here in Virginia where we have lots of right to work laws and feeble useless unions where they exist

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

why is every single article about a young person accomplishing some capitalist milestone characterized by the same buried lede every time - "I got it from my parents"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

one of those regional oddities that new englanders obsess endlessly over and that no one else has ever heard of

does it suck rear end like cheerwine but some people vociferously defend it cus of regional jingoism

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

fully agreed, GM is where owner class starts

even GMs sometimes have it pretty bad - I worked at office max when they were eliminating things like holiday pay and full time workers, and our GM made like $35g and was very nice, helpful, and as accommodating as he could without getting fired himself. my friends worked at a Pizza Hut for years where the GM made it a policy to protect them from corporate and bought store blunt wraps. what I'm getting at is often GMs are glorified AMs

inevitably the real piece of poo poo is the regional manager, a toadlike man in a BMW whose job it is to forget the names of peons and scrupulously inspect endcaps for flaws that can be used to justify cutting hours to people who make too much, like $10

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

every single time I've mentioned how hard it's been finding work with a masters degree in the humanities I've gotten a dozen patronizing responses about how stupid and worthless my degree is and how my only options are to ditch everything I worked for and get a vocational STEM degree, and if you object at all the notion learning SQL is a panacea, you're dismissed as lazy or stupid

do people envision a society exclusively composed of engineers or is it that I'm a white guy and they believe all white dudes should be professional technicians and the other stuff (manual labor, writing and stuff doesn't exist for them) in the world is for minorities and women

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Those people are loving idiots because obviously humanities are hugely important but basically the rub is that they think education's purpose should solely be to meet the needs of industry/business thus the best use of a degree is more or less advanced job training/qualification and outside of that it is a liberal waste of time and money. It's a fundamental disagreement about the purpose of education.

yeah, education has been so utterly commodified for them they view it entirely as an extension of the hyperatomized capitalist vocational framework. which frustrates me because most of them also fetishize the past and liken themselves to the gentleman polymath inventors of the 18th century and poo poo, but would never be caught dead reading the classics or studying foreign ideas themselves (they'd love to own a slave though)

compounding that is the degree to which they also have a huge hard-on for history as the sole acceptable "soft" field but that's only because they think all historians just measure ostheer tank treads and collect iron crosses and poo poo, they're actually super offended by academic historical work and its implications

its like people can't perceive any relationship between the things they enjoy or find ideologically compelling and fields like literature, history, sociology, etc, though sometimes I think lots of humorless STEM engineers would be happy in a world with no art but XKCD

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Well I mean if dude starts the conversation by complaining "I have trouble getting work with this degree" then he's already said what he wants to get out of it.

Like if someone started a conversation by saying they were having trouble using Moby Dick to assemble their Ikea furniture, responding that they should use the ikea instruction booklet instead is a perfectly reasonable response.

you know its possible to want to get more than one thing out of six years of education, right? like hoping to find a job relevant to one's degree while also having a genuine passion for that subject isn't like trying to build a desk with a loving fish, our principal national mythology re: upward mobility is just "get a degree, any degree, and it will correlate with increased earning power"

what a stupid post

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my ex used to badger me asking very specific questions about how literally every existing social structure would exist under capitalism, but it was always undergirded by an assumption that people needed to be motivated to work or their inherent laziness would take over and they'd begin to sponge, so no matter how thoroughly I answered her nothing mattered because we were operating under fundamentally incompatible premises. she was also a moron who believed in magic, demons, fairies, and fortean phenomenon, thought Trump had "a good chance of fixing things", and couldn't distinguish between parody and news

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I always see people blaming American Individualism as if the problem is that someone puts in effort and get's individually recognized. It always seems to come from pettiness or jealousy. IMO It's ok to have hero's and it's ok if a person's individual accomplishments are recognized. Humans aren't ants, and we shouldn't strive to be. If one person is better at making guillotine's then someone else, you don't have to ignore that person's achievements in order to be more inclusive.

people blame the social distortion of what constitutes effort. we praise the wealthy for idly accumulating capital, and we praise the poor for walking ten miles in the snow to a retail job, but for the most part nobody recognizes or cares about the actual individuals that work bone crushingly hard jobs in this country because they're invisible

thinking the American obsession with individual mobility is a stupid thing isn't some kind of flattening collectivist interpretation, if anything it's just a reiteration of the obvious idea that millions of brilliant minds are condemned to meaningless toil and death by capitalism

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbf if I could I'd totally just sponge and be lazy all day

I used to think that but I've been doing it for almost a year after getting my master's and I desperately want a productive job, and I think most people would be the same way. that being said I usually try to argue there isn't anything wrong with that either because we have enough wealth and automation to let people hang out and take dabs all day if they want, anyone who equates labor with morality and thinks not working is inherently wrong should be thrown off a building

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the answer to the American fetishization of labor is the imposition of labor laws and a safety net that allow people to gently caress off for years at a time, anything else is basically inconceivable given the degree to which the entire US political system and discourse is built on feeling spiteful about other poor people

most of my friends are uneducated, apolitical laborers and they vote democrat but the only political topic that engenders actual passion is disability or welfare because they know a fat person on it / their racist stepfather insists all homeless people are part of criminal begging rings and make a thousand dollars a day. that kind of inextricable bile rotting inside them can't be talked out of them

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

unsung benefit of climate change: easier to trick-or-treat in skimpy costumes

uh only children trick or treat :yikes:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

what does the royal family do with that money? is it just idle capital sitting in investment accounts? i mean its not as though they pay for gold plated helicopters and swanboat rides and poo poo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so basically even if the royal family only took in the funds from tourism directly related to them they would still be a black hole for funds that would otherwise be reinvested in public works like actually preserving British historical sites which I'm gonna take a wild guess and say are under maintained and unfunded just like public history projects in the united states

ed: it actually kind of reminds me of monticello, thomas jefferson's house, which is still owned by his descendants (or a private company they sold it to, can't remember) who control the narrative there and run it as one of those massively opulent non profits

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

"bosses son gets MBA and spends sixty days harassing employees, spamming inboxes with surveymonkey links, declares company agile"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

terrified of my bathroom posted:

https://twitter.com/taber/status/1062362444213960710?s=19

seriously how did nobody look at this and go "what the gently caress"

the entire historical purpose of the state/territory/scattered colonial municipalities of VA is facilitating the extraction of wealth from Virginians to benefit external capital. it is our single most cherished cultural characteristic and the literal founding principal of the first non-native settlers to recklessly murder the local population and mismanage the land

imo this is just part of a long tradition of being the most evil southern state by masquerading as culturally sophisticated and distinct from places like Georgia or Alabama even though we aren't

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm really warming up to Stalin as the years go on. the more I read the more I'm like yeah, I get it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

this Twitter often posts stuff that I barely believe was posted on the forums, as by and large,goons are good and the whole goons.txt thing seems like a relic of an era before all the really bad posters got sent to Reddit, that racist offsite, etc

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

COMRADES posted:

Art shouldn't be hoarded by rich people in the first place.

all creative work should be regarded as the intrinsically public asset it is

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

COMRADES posted:

They're all miserable and alienated, she just says it openly. Which is nice yes but really none of them are happy. They're more like Notch I bet.

That's why they lose their minds jumping through ideological hoops to justify their hoarding and waste. They know they don't deserve a billion dollars for X even if they did it themselves.

this sentiment sucks. the rich aren’t secretly unhappy or unfulfilled. they lead care free, genuinely happy lives and this whole “oh they’re unfulfilled though” narrative is just lovely propaganda used to make us feel like whatever fleeting moments of not-misery we get to experience are fair compensation for everything else

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I reject the notion it is even possible to meaningfully measure happiness when class divisions mean it is predicated for most people on avoiding homelessness and for the rich it correlates with sex parties and third yacht availability

feels like an extension of that idiot logic every first world err who goes to undeveloped nations spouts off about the simple contentedness of the rural Bolivian or whatever because they saw them smiling while buying trinkets in la Paz

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I know it’s wrong to spite other proles but I can’t wait for the IT crash after years of being condescended to for getting humanities degrees and suggestions I should just go learn to code or whatever

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

He also has progressive personal politics, and the credibility of understanding finance means that I tend to take him seriously.

We all understand that building a more just, verdant and peaceful world won't be a painless process, but it (a background in business) helps to be able to know and understand the numbers and toil required.

wow I thought you were just doing a funny elon musk quote with that first post but nah you're just equating intricate knowledge of an absurd system with credibility vis-a-vis toil, which shouldn't even be a word used to describe anyone discussed in the guillotine thread but especially not someone who works in silicon valley

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah because that's what a more just future will need - less healthcare.

I'm here for the same reason as anyone else, the system as it exists is rigged, executives making salaries 10,000x those of line workers, the back breaking changes to labor and social support networks and a general lack of creativity about how to build a way forward.

Unless by "guillotine" you guys mean wheeling out an actual guillotine and murdering anyone who you disagree with at all, disregarding the basic rights and liberties that I consider fundamental to a just society.

Because when I say it, I mean a progressive tax on wealth, abolition of tax havens, a universal basic income, a reduced work week and vastly more open borders.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah because that's what a more just future will need - less healthcare.

I'm here for the same reason as anyone else, the system as it exists is rigged, executives making salaries 10,000x those of line workers, the back breaking changes to labor and social support networks and a general lack of creativity about how to build a way forward.

Unless by "guillotine" you guys mean wheeling out an actual guillotine and murdering anyone who you disagree with at all, disregarding the basic rights and liberties that I consider fundamental to a just society.

Because when I say it, I mean a progressive tax on wealth, abolition of tax havens, a universal basic income, a reduced work week and vastly more open borders.

people who are fool enough to believe the current incarnation of capitalist excess merely needs technical tweaks are decent guillotine candidates imo, largely because these crises are existential and there isn’t time for this kind of Liberal reformist toadying

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

it is insane to me that very generic social democrats believe that they, while making six figures and advocating for a perpetuation of that status quo because they regard "fundamental liberties" in precisely the same way as a right-libertarian, are posting in the guillotine.txt thread

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

sir the sans culottes are at the gates and they seem to be concerned about tax havens

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the POUM's first priority is increasing the availability of tax advantaged savings accounts for land owners in andalucia

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

there is nothing on earth that can compel a liberal to acknowledge that the success of vaguely socially democratic nations is predicated on ruthless extraction of wealth from the third world, because they believe so strongly in existing hierarchies that most people literally cannot conceive of the possibility that the global south is full of actual human beings just like them

its why every white girl who goes to a foreign country comes back talking about how happy starving disenfranchised people with hookworm are because they smiled at her when the convoy she was in stopped to buy knick knacks

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

maybe it’s because bourgeois white women are at least ostensibly the principal demographic in terms of performative “charity” which is itself a result of socialized sexist expectations about the roles of upper class women in civil society

Frog Act has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Feb 21, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Flowers For Algeria posted:

hi there guillotine thread!
today is a day where we reflect on the awesome power of the guillotine, and how it can also be used for evil by evil men

today we commemorate the execution of sophie and hans scholl, two young students, barely twenty, who had been caught distributing pacifist and anti-nazi leaflets in munich in 1943. the scholls and the other members of the white rose resistance group were immensely courageous

the lesson here is that the evil men should be the ones to get the blade before they blade us

my favorite professor, dude who i did my masters thesis under and took lots of classes with, went out of his way to make this point a lot. he was an expert in nazi history and specifically political philosophy and understood that the major mistake the popular front made was not allowing the Reichsbanner free reign to assassinate hitler and curb stomp various members of the NSDAP in the mid-20s before the first putsch attempt. everyone know what they were, and everyone knew they wanted to take control of the government to eventually affect pogroms, and had known for like almost a decade when hindenburg gave hitler the chancellorship. if the german left had actually be willing or able to consolidate its power instead of being blocked at every turn by the social democrats and centrist lib catholics/urban technocrat idiots, things might have turned out differently

he also taught me that opposing the death penalty in principle is an incorrect and absurd stance when redemptive, revolutionary, collective violence is the only way to save the world and that some people do deserve to be eradicated, like nazis and billionaires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ubachung posted:

This makes no sense at all, the death penalty is a tool of the state and has nothing to do with 'redemptive, revolutionary, collective violence'.

what do you call the sans culottes executing the aristocracy if not the death penalty, or the tsar, or any number of deaths resulting from revolutionary, organized violence

“the death penalty” doesn’t have to refer to its specific contemporary manifestation in the United States where it is used to target the poor and mentally ill