Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
your loving fake rear end leftism is loving tiring

I pay a barber $20 for a haircut
I pay two maids $150 to clean my house

each of these are things I could do myself, but the people I pay do a better job than I would, and are quicker at it to boot

but you’d never say that paying a barber is bourgeois because you have some hosed up notion that domestic labor can’t be outsourced unlike every other loving type of labor because of some bullshit hangup whose only explanation can be that the kind of work was historically wife’s work

like gently caress if anything paying my maids is more leftist than paying the guy who cuts my hair because at least I know they’re making their own loving money unlike the barber who’s being exploited by the owner taking profit and the landlord taking rent and we all knowingly participate in those transactions every day with nary a word said, not like there’s such a thing as ethical consumption under capitalism in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The Succ Zone

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

osirisisdead posted:

I define middle class as anyone who derives their standard of living from both labor and capital. If someone works and draws a wage while also drawing any amount of income from investing, they are middle class. So, if a hypothetical someone makes six figures (pure wage, no stock) and rents while otherwise blowing their money on living, they are still working class, but that's where the whole labor aristocracy thing comes in...

"Upper class" don't draw wage at all. They don't need to because they own the companies and make their livelihoods entirely by extracting profit.

Fwiw, this is my own take on how these terms should be used to describe distinct types of people wrt their political economy.

These terms already exist, Proletariat and Bourgeoisie

You could argue for the term "Petite Bourgeoisie," as well but I don't think that distinction needs to be made.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

bawfuls posted:

Once each month, guillotine the wealthiest US citizen and distribute their assets to the bottom 50%. continue until Gini is acceptably low.

You have to get the family too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I mean you shouldn't. But then again we all know Trump is trashy so you really can't be surprised and if you are upset about it, maybe don't spend 100K at a Trump Property?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I am all for equal opportunity guillotining.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

Anglo North American culture is complete garbage lol what are you smokinge

You live in new york, yes it sucks, but it isn't "anglo north american culture," fortunately.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Nation States are obsolete, Corporate Nationhood is the new future.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

i can do you one better...

Nice.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Nastier Nate posted:

That’s crazy as it is but it’s the 3 $6,000 vacations a year that’s really bonkers.
My wife and I took our first “vacation” in 2 years last month and it was cause she had a work conference so we didn’t pay for the hotel or her airfare.
Meanwhile these fuckers are in Aspen, Disney and a 3rd vacation every year. If you can afford 3 vacations a year then your whole life is probably a vacation.

Yea I've never done a 6K vacation. The closest will probably be our trip to Japan that is planned in the next few years, and most of that is airfare.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shear Modulus posted:

repeal the life-of-the-author-plus-100-years or whatever copyright laws that disney forces through congress and seize mickey into the public domain

Intellectual Property Laws are super broken, and super important to reform for tearing down capitalist rent-seekers. Another thing that Dems, especially california dems, are trash about.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also jesus loving christ, stop going to disney world, what the gently caress is wrong with you.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gringostar posted:

there is actually a r ally good argument to be made that ip laws being as strong as they are right now has seriously stifled the development of music since before recording became a thing everyone stole from everyone else and genres of music would start from offshoots of what others did before hand

jungle is pretty much entirely based on a couple second drum break that's been sliced up and used over and over again and instead of suing everyone the creator of that break just gave it away because he thought art was more important than money, which is super rare these days

Yes, but it's not the "strength" of the IP laws, since they are, by design, supposed to allow a temporary monopoly for the creator. The key issue is that the "temporary" monopoly is being lengthened into perpetuity.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yes their propaganda cartoons are well known, not sure how that is a counter-example, but cool i guess.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

Not that Reddit wasn't always garbage, but I heard they made a site wide ban on guillotine jokes.

lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Typical liberal thought, rather then addressing the cause of the issue, they'd rather attempt to ban the manifestation of it because it makes them uncomfortable.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

StashAugustine posted:

guilliotines are dumb european poo poo, we need good ol' american tar and feathering

Ain't nothing more american then a noose or a firing squad.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mandatory lesbian posted:

Real talk: does this woman have a handler around her 24/7 making sure she doesn't actually stab herself with a pen or drive into the ocean

the later, for sure. the former she is actually too frail and useless to injure herself before getting distracted by the next shiney object.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Its cool and good to do a variety of social activities including drinking/drugs. If you don't like those things for whatever reason, it is completely fine to decline them at future events. But if you are uninterested in ever trying to socialize and yet you are complaining about "fake friends" etc, the problem is you, not anyone else.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

kissinger should be smothered in napalm

not smothered, just a nice dusting, let the napalm work it's magic. It's the least we could do after he kept so many in Vietnam warm for the rest of their life.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Nastier Nate posted:

When Kissinger dies every democrat in congress will put out a statement thanking him for his service to this country and calling him a great patriot.

This is definitely going to happen. Definitely

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Unnamed One posted:

Just :lol: if you people think Kissinger will ever deal with anything so quaint as death.

Fortunately we aren't in that particular hell-world yet, but I could totally see that happening soon.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

amphetamines are the true revolutionary drug of the proletariat

nah it's just weed

Or I guess opioids.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Feb 9, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

getting fat on your couch is counterrevolutionary

8 hours of leisure, motherfucker

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This is a good article.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Panzeh posted:

im 5 hours a week of eating expensed meals as 'work'

It's honestly probably 1.5x to 2x that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Very high and progressive wealth and estate taxes are a corner stone of any successful movement against hyper-capitalism. I'm talking like 75% as the minimum highest bracket, but closer to 90%, like in the early 50's.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rand alPaul posted:

That they lied about working only 30 hours per week makes me think it's somewhere closer to 15.

The secret is that most "work" for executive's of sufficiently large companies is just socialization and networking. (smaller companies aren't quite self-sufficient and so require the president to actually do something resembling work, though it is almost entirely sales based.) Actual impactful/strategic decision making is <4 hours per week. It's an incredibly inefficient method of allocating resources, but the minority of people in control of the capital benefit from all the incidental upsides while suffering zero consequences of downsides, thus there is no reason it will ever change.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wheeee posted:

don't worry guys we just need to get out the vote to fix this

Don't worry guys, Hillary's got this! :obama:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ytlaya posted:

As nice as it is to think otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the ex-CEO of Theranos was still able to at least wind up with some sort of six figures job. She might have a bad reputation among the general public, but well-off and privileged people tend to take care of their own and I imagine she has at least some people willing to give her a high paying job.

I'm sure hillary can find a position for her during her 2020 run.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol I think she did do an appearance with her during 2016

https://www.recode.net/2016/3/14/11586966/theranos-ceo-elizabeth-holmes-is-holding-a-hillary-fundraiser-with

I didn't know about this until just now, but Quelle surprise

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Goon Danton posted:

Unfortunately it's got guns to a lot of people's heads. It's hard to take it down without it killing its hostages.

Most of the hostages are expendable. However the real problem isn't the overt guns to people's heads, it's the brainworms, where even the people that are getting absolutely hosed by capitalism are often ardent defenders of it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Duscat posted:

why would you limit that system to immigrants though

why can't i hire an american to keep in my basement and feed scraps and pay $5 an hour when i need its services

i'm an equal opportunity employer

Because of Bureaucracy, getting in the way of job creators!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, seeing how letting people with fortunes just accrue money without any contribution to society is how you get a guillotine-worthy landed gentry, yes, that is horrible

Not if you have a progressive wealth tax.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

high interest rates is literally the state paying people for having a lot of money

just cheer for a good social safety net or ubi instead, high interest rates for the sake of saving is propping up a bad thing with a worse one

Sure. But progressive wealth taxes act as a brake for all rent-seeking behavior, not just interest rates. And yes, UBI etc should be implemented.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Coolness Averted posted:

Blockbuster literally did the same thing on the 'cannibalize brick and morter stock and labor hours to artificially inflate the value of it's online/mailer service' trick when they were going under.

Something particularly insidious about capitalism is that once you are in a position to be a "decision maker" for a large company, even a failing one, is that you are set for life. You sit on multiple boards of directors and pass around the dying company to all of your friends to use like you did with that drunk frat girl in college. Everyone get's a turn, everyone get's a payout until the company is 99% worthless with zero employees or assets. Then the last CEO sells the company to Amazon or some other company where he has a bunch of friends on the board for his payout and joins the capitalist musical chairs. (The person without the chair is the worker.)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Nastier Nate posted:

JFC Canada, I thought you were supposed to better than us.

Capitalism being trash transcends national borders, which has been a problem since before the east indies company.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

There is nothing wrong with long-term engineering projects like that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cerebral Bore posted:

Radical thought here, but even if some cool poo poo gets built, parasites like Bezos shouldn't get to decide whether it gets built or not.

Full space communism now, yes I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

shirts and skins posted:

When the first HOV lanes went into Northern Virginia a whole culture of spontaneous ride-sharing cropped up. The riders would wait in bus lots for drivers going to their part of DC, and frustrated bus drivers tired of trying to distinguish them from riders called them "slugs". And thus, the slugline was born! The system continues to this day, totally free and self-run, with its own rules of etiquette and all.

Same happened in chicago when they instituted the equivalent of congestion taxes. Imagine if we just called this phenomenon socialized transit and funded it with property taxes. :allears: