Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Clear Card PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrF5qt_LBlc

The Original

wikipedia posted:

The story focuses on Sakura Kinomoto, an elementary school student who discovers that she possesses magical powers after accidentally freeing a set of magical cards from the book they had been sealed in for years. She is then tasked with retrieving those cards in order to avoid an unknown catastrophe from befalling the world.
That’s the first and second season. The third season deals with Sakura having to realign all the Clow Cards to use her magic instead of the original creator’s (becoming Sakura Cards in the process).

Clear Card
Sakura is starting middle school, Syaoran is finally back and everything is perfect. Until it’s not. A mysterious being haunts Sakura’s dreams and after waking up she finds out the art of her cards has vanished leaving them clear.

Is Clear Card a sequel? A remake?
It’s a sequel to the 90s anime based the manga of the same name (which is a sequel to the original manga). The canon status of the second movie (Sealed Card) which gave a proper ending to the anime is a bit in the air (speculation tumblr link) but the timeline works in any case.

”Why should I watch it?”
- It's really pretty. Both the original and the sequel are animated by Madhouse.
- It’s easily CLAMP’s best and most popular work.
- It’s one of the best examples of the magical girl genre (before it began getting all deconstructed).
- If you watched it when you were a kid, watching the sequel is like shooting up nostalgia straight up your veins since it has almost all the staff from the original.
- I was lucky enough to watch a proper dub when I was a kid, but if you watched CardCaptors please know that it butchered the show and the original is very different.
- Moe is a thing thanks to the original. Okay, maybe not 100% but it definitely is one of the first and best examples of it.
- It has some small LGBT elements, some are handed well, some are skipped in the anime.
- (Most of) the filler episodes are actually good. The manga is a lot more compressed and while it has some interesting things that didn’t make the cut, the anime is the superior version. Having read the manga is probably enough to be able to watch the new season though.
- It’s the cutest thing ever.

"Where and when can I watch it?"
Every sunday at Crunchyroll and Funimation.

Characters
(I'm going to add some of the manga elements since it's not clear which exactly is the canon for the sequel)

Sakura Kinomoto
The main character. Clumsy and not especially book-smart but extremely athletic, which gives her a very needed advantage when dealing with magical mishaps. She’s extremely kind-hearted, making her unable to see the bad in anything or anyone.

Syaoran Li
Originally he was Sakura’s rival for the capture of the cards but Sakura ended up winning the cards and his heart. He was kind of an rear end at first but he got better (one of the rare cases of a male tsundere). Like Sakura, he’s extremely naive and he constantly falls for the lies his classmates (good naturedly) tell him, but has much more experience fighting than she does.

Tomoyo Daidouji
Sakura’s best friend and self-appointed documentarian of her adventures. She’s rich and uses her money to make costumes for Sakura (much to her embarrassment) and to help her in her adventures. In the manga she loves Sakura as more than a friend but in the anime it’s only minimally implied.

Kero (Cerberus)
The obligatory magical animal, he is one of the guardians of the Clow Cards and was in charge of choosing the candidate to be the next master of the cards. He’s bossy, demanding, and gluttonous and spends most of his time playing video games so he’s basically a goon, but he really cares about Sakura.

Yue
The other guardian. Much more serious than his counterpart but ends up warming up to Sakura. He was in charge of testing the candidate Kerberos chose.

Yukito
Yue’s human “mask” but ended up having his own personality and interests. He can’t remember what Yue does so they try to not involve him too much in magical stuff since he’s technically a muggle.

Eriol Hiiragizawa
The reincarnation of Clow Reed (the original creator of the cards), he was in change of executing a centuries-old plan for leaving the cards with Sakura. In the manga he’s only half a reincarnation and is plagued by visions of the future until he is able to give half his magical power to

Fujitaka Kinomoto
Sakura’s widowed father. A good guy. He was deeply in love with Sakura’s mother and was able to see her again after receiving Eriol’s power in the manga, since he’s Clow Reed’s other reincarnation (it gets weird, okay?)

Touya Kinomoto
Sakura’s brother. He bullies her a bit but is always making sure she’s safe. He was able to see ghosts and knows about Sakura’s magical side job but hasn’t told her. In love (and maybe in a relationship?) with Yukito.

Some of Sakura's classmates:

Yamazaki likes to tells outlandish stories and both Sakura and Syaoran believe them all.

Chiharu is Yamazaki's childhood friend and maybe girlfriend? In the manga they are definitely a couple by the end of the original and the first episode of Clear Card seems to imply the same.

Rika was the mature one and had a crush on her teacher for the longest time. In the manga the teacher liked her back (thankfully it never goes past a promise to get together when she grows up but ick). At some point since the 90s someone told CLAMP that teacher-student relationships are gross and in Clear Card she died on her way back to her home planet (aka transferred schools / was written out).

-------

Two mystery characters from the OP that haven’t appeared yet.

-------

OP
https://twitter.com/fluffykatsudon/status/949814117560389634

The cutest ED ever
https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/949776721665912832

-------

:siren: Please don't post spoilers from the Clear Card manga. :siren:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

17 years have passed in the world outside Tomoeda and Sakura has now grown one year older, receiving a smartphone in grade school graduation present.

Apart from that kind of continuity nonsense, this is basically a perfect sequel.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

But what happened to her rollerblades???

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

But what happened to her rollerblades???

Must be banned by school regulations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

Must be banned by school regulations.

Middle school is serious business

EDIT:

Rewatching it, it looks like everyone got a bit modernized even though I only noticed Yue's changes when I first watched the first episode.

For example Yukito:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 7, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Good OP OP

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

gmq posted:

Middle school is serious business

EDIT:

Rewatching it, it looks like everyone got a bit modernized even though I only noticed Yue's changes when I first watched the first episode.

For example Yukito:

Yeah, they all have less of that 90s CLAMP look to them. It's obvious on Toya as well.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Card Captor Sakura was a really good show and I'm down for watching this, but first, are the movies worth watching? I never saw them and was thinking they'd be a good way to refresh my memories before the new season starts.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Movie 1 is kinda eh overall and movie 2 is well regarded as a great ending for the anime, though since it never happened in the manga, its events kinda get thrown out to agree with the setup in the new series.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I had really high hopes and expectations for this show, and I'm happy to say that they were all met.

:3:

:kimchi:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Card Captor Sakura was a really good show and I'm down for watching this, but first, are the movies worth watching? I never saw them and was thinking they'd be a good way to refresh my memories before the new season starts.

Canon issues and all I'd still recommend everyone to watch the second movie, it's top CCS, the pinnacle of the series.

The first is... eh.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is movie 1 the time they go to Hong Kong and meet the lady who is really mad at Clow

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Clow has a tendency of making women really mad.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Something that amused me a bit yesterday is that from what I remember from the manga, Sakura's one of the most powerful magic users in the world after Eriol divided his powers but no one has bothered to train her at all, never uses magic for anything other than making videos with Tomoyo, etc. In the end she ended up getting saved by the new key.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think that might be the story arc of the Clear Card manga, not having read it. So far Sakura hasn't really created any magic herself, only tamed/slightly transformed it. (Exception being in 2nd movie, but if that's not canon then...) So I'm thinking it's an arc about Sakura becoming a proper wizard.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Lol

they putting Rika on a ship due to how...dissonant her character arc would be nowadays

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

Clow has a tendency of making women really mad.

This is true I'm one of them.

How can one wizard mess up so many lives.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Just starting watching the episode.

The music that plays when Syaoran first shows up is great.

I wasn't expecting an instrumental of Platinum so that was a fun little surprise out of nowhere. :swoon:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 8, 2018

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Don't know if we watched the same original anime op because it was always obvious that tomoyo was in love with sakura and I'm pretty sure yamazaki and chiharu are cousins.

E: the second point was the dub so I'll forgive you

E2: it was tomoyos mum and sakuras mum wh were cousins and also tomoyos mum was in love with sakuras mum

Namtab fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 8, 2018

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Lol

they putting Rika on a ship due to how...dissonant her character arc would be nowadays

It's also because her VA passed away

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

El Burbo posted:

It's also because her VA passed away

They did it in the manga too though and mentioned in an interview that modern fans are freaked out by it though.

Like I know it's my big "but" when I rec CCS.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Namtab posted:

Don't know if we watched the same original anime op because it was always obvious that tomoyo was in love with sakura and I'm pretty sure yamazaki and chiharu are cousins.

E: the second point was the dub so I'll forgive you

E2: it was tomoyos mum and sakuras mum wh were cousins and also tomoyos mum was in love with sakuras mum

They don’t focus on it as much in the anime. Like the anime cut out Tomoyo’s line about how her love for Sakura is different from Sakura’s love for her.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

They don’t focus on it as much in the anime. Like the anime cut out Tomoyo’s line about how her love for Sakura is different from Sakura’s love for her.

But that's the best line. Tomoyo was my favourite

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Modern fans my foot CLAMP, even 10 year old me reading the manga couldn't have side-eyed the Rika stuff harder.

Namtab posted:

But that's the best line. Tomoyo was my favourite
Everything about Tomoyo and her mom is hella depressing though. :smith: Clamp writes the weirdest relationships jesus.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

CLAMP covers the stresses and perils of the human condition that others are too cowardly to depict

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

like little boys being challenged by assassins to seduce them within a timelimit as punishment for being witnesses and killing their twin sisters when they fail

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

And how being a twin means you are doomed to suffer forever.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And how no one can write a Crossover epic without losing the plot entirely?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

And how no one can write a Crossover epic without losing the plot entirely?

Tsubasa is still my favorite trash comic because I'm broken and love shoveling garbage into my mouth.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

gmq posted:

Something that amused me a bit yesterday is that from what I remember from the manga, Sakura's one of the most powerful magic users in the world after Eriol divided his powers but no one has bothered to train her at all, never uses magic for anything other than making videos with Tomoyo, etc. In the end she ended up getting saved by the new key.

I thought she was straight up the most powerful magician in the world by the end. Like, the reason she was able to divide up Eriol's magic is because she was now stronger than Clow Reed, who previously held the title of the most powerful magician in the world.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

I thought she was straight up the most powerful magician in the world by the end. Like, the reason she was able to divide up Eriol's magic is because she was now stronger than Clow Reed, who previously held the title of the most powerful magician in the world.

You could say that it’s easier to do it to someone else than yourself, but also she had the help of Kero and Yue at the time to do it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The reason she's the strongest is because she divided Eriol's Magic, a feat which required Clow to plan the entire series in order for her to do.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

gmq posted:

I think kinda that was the point, IIRC, in that Clow's magic really brought him nothing except misery.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Fangz posted:

I think kinda that was the point, IIRC, in that Clow's magic really brought him nothing except misery.

Yeah, but I feel leaving Sakura untrained doesn't really solve that problem if she's going to have all that power anyway. I mean, maybe if she was trained she would have known what to do when the clear card attacked her without having to depend on having had a magic dream induced by someone else. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fangz posted:

My impression was that Clow didn’t want to be the most powerful magician anymore because he was bored by it, though that may be colored by the fact I tend to think of him as kind of a selfish dick. If it were something that he thought would lead to unhappiness, I don’t think he would have pushed it onto Sakura.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

My impression was that Clow didn’t want to be the most powerful magician anymore because he was bored by it, though that may be colored by the fact I tend to think of him as kind of a selfish dick. If it were something that he thought would lead to unhappiness, I don’t think he would have pushed it onto Sakura.

While I do agree that Clow is a selfish dick, I think Eriol isn't, and he addresses that concern in the manga (Clow and him could see the future making them miserable, would Sakura have the same problem?) and he says that he would have never done anything if it mean giving that kind of problem to her.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
merch!

the nice stuff is way overpriced (¥20k for the wand, ¥6.5k for a set of cards), but the smaller stuff like the mug and the pouches is reasonable enough

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

wow I totally forgot about Eriol's weird teacher relationship.

I mean he's got Clow's brain so it's less weird than Rika's thing obviously but still CLAMP

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Wish it was not there. Thanks clamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Rodyle posted:

wow I totally forgot about Eriol's weird teacher relationship.

I mean he's got Clow's brain so it's less weird than Rika's thing obviously but still CLAMP

Kaho: "It's okay, he's actually 500 years old!"

Also, Kaho was in a relationship with Touya when he was in middle school. I guess Eriol only has a couple of years left before he ages out.

It looks like she was too important to Poochie her but ugh.

• Locked thread