Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AtheistMantis posted:

Yeah, now that you mention it, what the heck is a batoto?

Beartato?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can never stop screaming

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's dead

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I can't believe my friend, Batoto, is dead.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:(
Good night, old friend.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It was a good run.

Looks like Mangadex is very rapidly becoming its spiritual successor, though, at least in the short term.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mirage posted:

It was a good run.

Looks like Mangadex is very rapidly becoming its spiritual successor, though, at least in the short term.

A lot of my follows were uploaded when the image servers were hosed up, so I'm hoping that gets sorted soon, but it seems pretty solid so far. Especially for being in its infancy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
*solemnly deletes bookmark*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*closes 500 unread tabs*

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

*solemnly deletes bookmark*

Just the one?!

Sakurazuka posted:

*closes 500 unread tabs*

:yeah:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I had an account and follows wtf is with you guys and your tab insanity

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I left ch 1s of stuff i wanted to read eventually open. Took care of it last week.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Guess I'm never reading manga again :eng99:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Batoto is dead, and I'm not feeling too good myself.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Pour a ramune for my nakama

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Site is officially dead and the Forums have been moved to Vatoto.com.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Pour a ramune for my nakama

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wait, people liked Batoto?

I preferred Kissmanga, lol. Better and faster loading theme/page, much better search (the auto complete is a godsend for Japanese titles), and the entire chapter in one page made it superior to most online readers (and like Batoto, it doesn't compress images).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I don't know why I've never seen you but your name is awesome I love it so much.

Also yeah, many people here (that I've seen talk about it) preferred batoto, and pretty much everyone involved in Scanlation preferred batoto.

It was much more about the uploading bit though. Where do you think 99% of the chapters on kissmanga came from? Scanlators uploaded to batoto, and kissmanga just scraped images from batoto.
Sure some sites didn't, and for some of those they had scrapers that would monitor rss feeds or w/e and automatically grab it and upload it. Some scanners also literally just didn't do anything except upload to batoto.

It's much easier for kissmanga and the other for-profit sites to just monitor one place in lieu of hundreds of places.
Once you take batoto away, there's a bit of a crisis for where people will get to read things easily and also where scanlators can upload things easily.

E: i should specify, when I said "non-profit" I was really just lookong for a way to say "leecher" without saying it. I think I failed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like Batoto because it wasn't hosted in Russia, without pop-under ads and was infinitely less likely to be running cryptominers in the background.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Batoto also boasted uncompressed/unaltered images, which at least at the time it was launched was relatively uncommon. It was also usually organized better for selecting specific groups and apparently very user-friendly for scanlators to go in and update their releases.

I mainly preferred them because kissmanga would inundate me with vicious popups even with adblock. Hell even clicking on empty space could induce popups. It was a site that required use of script-blocking software.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I just got a script that would show all the pages of a chapter on one page and had no reason to leave batoto for kissmanga after that. well, except for series that got dmca'd on batoto

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
While Kissmanga isn't bad, Batoto had a lot of conveniences for both users and scanlators that made it quite popular, as others have already noted in the thread. I primarily used Batoto since I found that it was more convenient to follow series I was reading there than elsewhere. The quality was also usually more consistent. For some series, though, I basically jumped to scanlator sites even prior to Batoto's closing.

Also, Batoto was far safer and easier to browse than many other choices, including Kissmanga.

At this point, though, I'd probably pay for an official sub-based reader service that tried to simulpub chapters like the Crunchy Reader, since waiting for volumes can be a drag, especially for weekly comics. That way I could stay current and then snap up the volume later. Optimally, though, it would also be more user friendly than the crunchy reader.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, just lol, if you don't run adblock + noscript on every single website including this one

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
mangadex is nice and minimal but whatever tampermonkey or whatever script i've got to make manga load the entire chapter to scroll vertically doens't work for it yet

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Captain Invictus posted:

lol, just lol, if you don't run adblock + noscript on every single website including this one

lol if you use adblock + noscript instead of ublock + umatrix

Umatrix is really good with a filter selector that is more flexible, more powerful, and much easier/more user-friendly to configure thanks to the matrix design.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Umatrix is really good with a filter selector that is more flexible, more powerful, and much easier/more user-friendly to configure thanks to the matrix design.

:eyepop:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Point still stands, anyone not using some form of script/adblock in this day and age is a moron!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"It is good practice to utilize ad/script blockers in general for today's Internet" and "Literally do not visit this website under any circumstances without ad/script blockers" are not mutually exclusive statements, nor does it forgive the prevalence of malicious unwanted content in the the latter because why should one ever assume it will always stay behind the blockers as coders of such content evolve their own craft.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nate RFB posted:

I mainly preferred them because kissmanga would inundate me with vicious popups even with adblock. Hell even clicking on empty space could induce popups. It was a site that required use of script-blocking software.

Kissmanga is so bad for this poo poo that sometimes I go click on something and uBlock just kills the tab.

Nate RFB posted:

"It is good practice to utilize ad/script blockers in general for today's Internet" and "Literally do not visit this website under any circumstances without ad/script blockers" are not mutually exclusive statements, nor does it forgive the prevalence of malicious unwanted content in the the latter because why should one ever assume it will always stay behind the blockers as coders of such content evolve their own craft.

:agreed:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Man your kumo AV is great.
How have I never seen you people?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

im sad a lot of scanlators won't get the recognition they deserve, but happy that i won't have to put up with batoto's lovely site and giant READ ON BATOTO watermarks from elsewhere

in conclusion batoto is a land of contrasts

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Yinlock posted:

im sad a lot of scanlators won't get the recognition they deserve, but happy that i won't have to put up with batoto's lovely site and giant READ ON BATOTO watermarks from elsewhere

in conclusion batoto is a land of contrasts

Those watermarks were created by scanlators who just hate non-batoto manga sites, not by batoto itself. If Mangadex becomes the next Big Thing you'll just be seeing "KISSMANGA ARE THIEVES READ ON MANGADEX INSTEAD" on the same scanlators' releases that used to direct you to batoto.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

lol if you use both when you can just use ublock origin in advanced mode and do the same thing

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Y'all say that stuff about doubling your johnnies every time but the point is that Batoto didn't try to do that poo poo and sites like Kissmanga does. Just because you can stop something from successfully happening doesn't excuse it in the first place

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
"Hey, if you install half a dozen ad blockers and no-script extensions, this one site is actually usable!"

And yeah, don't go blaming Batoto for the obnoxious pages that say "Don't read this anywhere but Batoto!" The scanlators did that themselves, mostly to shame idiots who are still using Mangafox.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Best way to read manga anyway is lying in bed with a tablet app.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I forget is Kissmanga is a scraper site or not. If so, I'd generally be against using it since Batoto at least made an effort to credit scanalators outside of the token credits page. That being said, needs, must.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^It 100% is dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Best way to read manga anyway is lying in bed with a tablet app.

typically this is a good idea but lately i get pages that never load in mangarock and this saddens me.

• Locked thread