Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://bato.to/forums/topic/28840-batoto-will-be-closing-permanently/

RIP. Good luck to all smaller scanlation groups, I hope you'll still be able to reach out and find an audience. End of an era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm blaming this on kissmanga bots.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Just like all the other times a big site like that dies there will be a replacement that pops up soon enough. Will be a pain to carry over bookmarks but I don't think it's gonna be a big deal once the dust settles.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Least we still got Mangapark...which is unusable on mobile but w/e.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I used Batoto so long I don't know any other places for scanlations anymore. Any other recommended sites?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Srice posted:

Just like all the other times a big site like that dies there will be a replacement that pops up soon enough. Will be a pain to carry over bookmarks but I don't think it's gonna be a big deal once the dust settles.

Same thing happened way back when OneManga died, and I bet barely anybody even remembers it existed.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This sucks :(

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Same thing happened way back when OneManga died, and I bet barely anybody even remembers it existed.

I remember it! Which is why I'm confident.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh no, where do I go to read Yotsuba now?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Srice posted:

I remember it! Which is why I'm confident.

somemanga...

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

thank goodness mangastream has thousands of bitcoin and will never shut down

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I guess it's time to start figuring out what series I actually want to read and which ones I'm fine forgetting about.

at least I'm hopeful since people are backing up the entire thing

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Well, poop. One more for the file of "people on the Internet ruining something cool on the Internet".

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp. That's not fun news to start the new year with. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad that guy can go on vacation. :unsmith:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
huge bummer but im glad this guy can loving take it easy, jesus

Nate RFB posted:

I'm blaming this on kissmanga

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Well poo poo, batoto is the entire reason I've gotten so into manga these last three years or so. Best future wishes to the person who put so much into keeping it alive. Time to play "how many series can I binge-read in eleven days?"

I hope some of the people involved manage to get a new site up and running. I knew the bots must be annoying, but I guess it's a lot worse than I thought. gently caress all the sites who steal images from batoto, slap their own watermark on them, and rehost them surrounded by mountains of intrusive ads.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, poo poo. I have no idea what to do. I switched everything over to Batoto years ago so I didn't have to finagle with lovely, always broken browser addons to manage things. I could just follow series on Batoto and check the My Follows page every now and then to see what new stuff came out.

What is the best way to actually manage a reading list nowadays? Is that what MyAnimeList is supposed to do?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
F

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Nothing lasts forever. But Batoto's a tough one to let go of. Somehow I got 928 series in my follow list over the years as I centralized everything through it. Gonna have to figure out which ones are keepers before the 18th.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
drat, I love kissmanga but it's dodgy as hell. This is just sad :(

Speaking of kissmanga, can anyone smarter than me figure out why or how they host images on blogspot.com?

I feel like they're using blogger as a free hosting platform.

example image hosted on kissmanga:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ddQKVh70ICM/WlLpjrIymWI/AAAAAAAB_7E/K8lakcm0T4MKQBLDaTqjFOblyG6dD-V2ACHMYCw/s0/000.png

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I wouldn't put it past kissmanga to do that.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
A lot of you folks are failing to realize how bad this is. Places like Mangahere, Mangapanda, Kissmanga, ect all scrape and re-upload from Batoto uploads. The manga you read on those websites will suddenly stop being updated because they do not have the infrastructure to go to every individual group/irc channel and download/upload.

This is going to have ramifications beyond just Batoto. A lot of small groups who have no website will vanish. This is the problem with other leech sites. As soon as the host dies, the leeches all die as well.

If you aren't worried, you should be.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
This is terrible news. Batoto was real useful for playing catch-up on the various manga I enjoy but don't read regularly. Really hope someone puts together a similar site.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
kissmanga has a lot of licensed poo poo that wasn't on batoto so i'm pretty sure they did more than just scrape batoto

e: like i wouldn't be at all surprised if they scraped batoto too but they're at least capable of finding and uploading their own poo poo.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

kissmanga has a lot of licensed poo poo that wasn't on batoto so i'm pretty sure they did more than just scrape batoto

e: like i wouldn't be at all surprised if they scraped batoto too but they're at least capable of finding and uploading their own poo poo.

So they scrape licensed sites too. That doesn't change the fact that for SCANLATION, poo poo is about to stop being uploaded. Trust me, I'm a scanlator. The only distribution we have is through IRC and Batoto. We'd know if bots were getting our releases from IRC. They aren't. How do I know? Because they never get the corrected chapters. If I ever have to release a V2, they never grab it, because the first release is 'good enough'. I even trolled them once by uploading a fake chapter with a bubble replaced with "You should stop reading this on mangahere, they are thieves." then uploading the correct chapter. You should have seen the butthurt in their comment sections.

They are like a writing sea of parasites, feeding off of eachother. Whoever grabs it first then gets leeched by the other sites. I've seen watermarks from different sites on other sites.

Anything that isn't OFFICIALLY being translated is going to stop being updated. You don't know how bad this is going to be for them.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Yeah the biggest reason I would upload stuff on Batoto was because they went to the trouble of setting up their website so that I and other translation groups could. The framework allowed me write access to freely upload, hide, rename, and organize chapters and even new series. I didn't have to gently caress around with submission boxes and moderator approval or emailing zip files and hoping someone gets around to it, and I don't think I've seen another site that even made that an option. None of the other reader sites as far as I know accept submissions or uploads.
As far as I can tell, the options for anyone who wants to "host" chapters outside of Batoto are to dump it on 4chan/tumblr (loving barf), start making imgur folders (also not ideal), or get their own website and plug in a reader interface. Plenty of options if you just want to serve up a rar or whatever, but that's not very accessible or very visible; everyone goes to reader sites now for a reason!

Might sound entitled in the face of how much of a strain the site obviously was on the guy, but if you hear a lot of wailing and gnashing from the translating types this is the reason why: This was quite simply the best way and there's no comparable option. Hopefully someone gets up the gumption to fill the void and soon.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
The long and short of it is Batoto was the only site that respected the time and effort scanlators put into scanlation. Without a replacement, quite a few groups just won't bother.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It sucks but a replacement will inevitably appear.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zerilan posted:

It sucks but a replacement will inevitably appear.

Well yeah, but that's like saying a writer's strike will end. Of course it will, but that doesn't mean there won't be projects that die in the meanwhile.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tarage posted:

A lot of you folks are failing to realize how bad this is. Places like Mangahere, Mangapanda, Kissmanga, ect all scrape and re-upload from Batoto uploads. The manga you read on those websites will suddenly stop being updated because they do not have the infrastructure to go to every individual group/irc channel and download/upload.

This is going to have ramifications beyond just Batoto. A lot of small groups who have no website will vanish. This is the problem with other leech sites. As soon as the host dies, the leeches all die as well.

If you aren't worried, you should be.

lol it'll be fine you nerd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Japan's comic industry might ACTUALLY DIE!!!!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I feel bad for Grumpy for the toll running the site has taken on him, but yeah this is pretty bad news all things considered. For me the timing is particularly unfortunate since I just recently started translating a little webcomic and at the moment there's few if any viable alternatives to upload it to.

Hopefully the to-be former batoto staff make a decent replacement in time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i read everything on kissmanga if its not the scanlators own website

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

just double or triple up on your ad condoms if you're using kissmanga

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Schubalts posted:

I remember it fondly, I also remember rooting around for a site that wasn't going to give my computer 5 kinds of malware and viruses just from going to the homepage. But for the past 5 or so years Batoto had been where I did the majority of my online reading as it was an honest improvement over Onemanga in many respects. Hopefully whoever takes over next will create a site that allows for version updates and other tools that scanlation groups use.

My other main concern is how there are probably hundreds of series that were translated by groups that are no longer active or don't have associated downloads and such. A lot of translations could be lost in the shuffle and I hope that Grumpy gave his people enough time to make sufficient backups.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He said in the post that the staff have known for a long time and have been given lots of heads up to back it all up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol if you browse the internet without ublock origin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
poo poo man. this is where most of my reads put their updates

• Locked thread