Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is Winning The Super Bowl?
This poll is closed.
Philadelphia Eagles 19 5.81%
Minnesota Vikings 73 22.32%
New Orleans Saints 31 9.48%
Atlanta Falcons 11 3.36%
New England Patriots 78 23.85%
Pittsburgh Steelers 23 7.03%
Jacksonville Jaguars 35 10.70%
Tennessee Titans 17 5.20%
My team didn't make it/I'm protesting the NFL 40 12.23%
Total: 327 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

what assumption? That an accusation doesn't necessitate actual occurrence?

Or the assumption that Dawkins isn't lying?

The assumption the accuser is lying.

For some reason we can't assume Dawkins is lying but you don't hold the same assumption the other way.

I mean we both know why but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

The assumption the accuser is lying.

For some reason we can't assume Dawkins is lying but you don't hold the same assumption the other way.

I mean we both know why but still.

you can absolutely assume Dawkins is lying as part of intentional suppression tactics, if you like.

I don't assume Ngakoue is lying. But weighing his claim with zero corroboration from any other player on the field against Dawkins' explicit rejection as a third party I'm inclined to lean toward believing the latter as truthful at this time. It wouldn't surprise me if Incognito is back to his old tricks and Dawkins didn't hear him, but I'm not so entrenched in the idea that must be the case that I'm constructing a network of suppression where Dawkins sells off his integrity to be a cog in the Bills Propaganda Machine, which is what started this whole back and forth

The issue we're discussing isn't whether Incognito is a racist (he is), or whether he actually said anything today (he may have). It's whether Dion Dawkins is a foul liar because he disagreed about the bad man

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 8, 2018

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Gonz posted:

All my life, i’ve just always assumed the Lions will find a way to gently caress things up for themselves.

So far, they’ve never let me down.

I like to imagine in a scenario where it's inside the final 90 seconds of the Superbowl, the Lions are winning by six, the opposition has no time outs so all the Lions have to do is kneel down three times except they botch the final snap which the opposition runs in for a touchdown

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

you can absolutely assume Dawkins is lying as part of intentional suppression tactics, if you like.

I don't assume Ngakoue is lying. But weighing his claim with zero corroboration from any other player on the field against Dawkins' explicit rejection as a third party I'm inclined to lean toward believing the latter as truthful at this time. It wouldn't surprise me if Incognito is back to his old tricks and Dawkins didn't hear him, but I'm not so entrenched in the idea that must be the case that I'm constructing a network of suppression where Dawkins sells off his integrity to be a cog in the Bills Propaganda Machine, which is what started this whole back and forth

The issue we're discussing isn't whether Incognito is a racist (he is), or whether he actually said anything today (he may have). It's whether Dion Dawkins is a foul liar because he disagreed about the bad man

You can't do that.

If you are taking an all or nothing approach then one of them is lying.

You can't keep pretending you aren't implying the accuser is lying,

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Vikings are going to exercise their demons beating the Saints and Falcons on their way to the Bowl.
Then they'll find a new and somehow even more heartbreaking way to collapse and lose to Blake Bortles in their home stadium.
:unsmigghh:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can't do that.

If you are taking an all or nothing approach then one of them is lying.

You can't keep pretending you aren't implying the accuser is lying,

Not so. It is possible that the two are simultaneously telling the truth. I don't personally believe that to be the case, but only because there's no supplementary evidence at this point for one of the claims (and until there is any actual evidence or corroboration, I'm not inclined to treat it as true, or even untrue!).

What I'm debating is whether Dawkins is part of a concerted effort on the part of the Bills to orchestrate a defense of Incognito, which is something only raised here by a poster.

e: If you equate "not yet accepting as true" with "rejecting as false," that's certainly your right, but I do not.

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 8, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Not so. It is possible that the two are simultaneously telling the truth. I don't personally believe that to be the case, but only because there's no supplementary evidence at this point for one of the claims (and until there is any actual evidence or corroboration, I'm not inclined to treat it as true, or even untrue!).

What I'm debating is whether Dawkins is part of a concerted effort on the part of the Bills to orchestrate a defense of Incognito, which is something only raised here by a poster.

e: If you equate "not yet accepting as true" with "rejecting as false," that's certainly your right, but I do not.

Yes I equate the two as they are the same thing.

At least you have stopped pretending and are just outright calling him a liar.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Incorrect. Ngakoue may have lied, true. He also may not have. Similarly, this is the case for Dawkins.

e: One approaches this issue while recognizing these positions as simultaneously accurate, and in the face of limited evidence ought to try to reserve judgment. One cannot be expected to have no position, however, and instead must consider their opinion in the light of the limited evidence available.

Indeed, the possibility of one being a liar does not make one a liar

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 8, 2018

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Incorrect. Ngakoue may have lied, true. He also may not have. Similarly, this is the case for Dawkins.

e: One approaches this issue while recognizing these positions as simultaneously accurate, and in the face of limited evidence ought to try to reserve judgment. One cannot be expected to have no position, however, and instead must consider their opinion in the light of the limited evidence available.
You're doing a top notch job. A regular ol' sleuth.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

if i actually had any talent, I'd have uncovered the Billuminati at work

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

LiquidFriend posted:

You're doing a top notch job. A regular ol' sleuth.

Look man, it's obvious that there is no evidence a man with a history of bigotry did this just eyewitness testimony which which is worthless.

Meanwhile we have eye witness testimony from his teammate saint Dawkins which is pretty huge.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It is more likely that the Buffalo Bills Media Machine forced quisling Dion Dawkins to swallow any pride or integrity he has to defend his racist teammate than said self-hater told the truth

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

with this attitude toward projecting recidivism it's no wonder trump won the election

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It also should be mention we have no evidence Dawkins was actually around Richie, particularly during the incident itself. that is actually pure conjecture on JFs part.

But all he cares about is the evidence you see.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It also should be mention we have no evidence Dawkins was actually around Richie, particularly during the incident itself. that is actually pure conjecture on JFs part.

you'll note he has both a season-long history of being by Incognito's side and direct video evidence proving it on countless occasions. Further, to dismiss circumstantial evidence in the form of Dawkins' own direct relevant testimony is tantamount to dehumanizing him

Par for the course if you think he's just a cog in Big Pegula's fracking/propaganda scheme

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jonathan Fisk posted:

you'll note he has both a season-long history of being by Incognito's side and direct video evidence proving it on countless occasions. Further, to dismiss circumstantial evidence in the form of Dawkins' own direct relevant testimony is tantamount to dehumanizing him

Ah so know there is video evidence of the incident? This is news to me.

Post it then.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I like to imagine in a scenario where it's inside the final 90 seconds of the Superbowl, the Lions are winning by six, the opposition has no time outs so all the Lions have to do is kneel down three times except they botch the final snap which the opposition runs in for a touchdown

See, the problem with this is that it's assuming the Lions could even make it to a Superbowl.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

See, the problem with this is that it's assuming the Lions could even make it to a Superbowl.

Forget winning the Super Bowl. If the Lions won the NFC, i'd require hospitalization.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah so know there is video evidence of the incident? This is news to me.

Post it then.

I scraped and scraped for it, but sadly, it seems that the very existence of such an incident is unsupportable! Another nail in the coffin of Dishonest Dion

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i wasn't really expecting this kind of meltdown after this weekends games, tbh

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Alaois posted:

i wasn't really expecting this kind of meltdown after this weekends games, tbh

some people can't help but build conspiracy theories to fill voids, op. It's unfair to criticize them for that

shitposting about people seriously arguing for the existence of the protocols of the elders of buffalo doesn't exactly demand the emotional investment you seem to think

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 8, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Every team that defied the will of the Dark One and beat the Patriots in the regular season lost this weekend.

Deus Vult.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

some people can't help but build conspiracy theories to fill voids, op. It's unfair to criticize them for that

shitposting about people seriously arguing for the existence of the protocols of the elders of buffalo doesn't exactly demand the emotional investment you seem to think

He meant that you're melting down, and after reading the last two pages I understand why. Shh.

GaussianCopula posted:

Every team that defied the will of the Dark One and beat the Patriots in the regular season lost this weekend.

Deus Vult.

I wonder what you're going to do when Brady retires and the Pats end up having no QB backup plan. Will you tone down this stuff? Disappear? Retool to another gimmick? My money is on #2, but I guess only time will tell.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Shangri-Law School posted:

Their defensive line is good, their linebackers are good, and they have the second-best cornerback and second-best safety in the NFC North. They can make Brady's night difficult.

bro, i will fight you bro

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Rhodes is better than Slay too

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ugh it's the Patriots winning again. Only hope is that their internal strife causes a cosmic level backlash costing them a game they should have won.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
All I want is our traditional NFCCG loss.

I think we match up well against the Falcons. Come on defense...

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do people really see the Vikes as having a shot at going all the way? How often does a team win the superbowl with an non-great QB? Once every 10-20 years? I see it as Pats>Pitts>NO>ATL>Vikes>Eagles>Garbage remaining

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

axeil posted:

All I want is our traditional NFCCG loss.

I think we match up well against the Falcons. Come on defense...

Eagles will be in the SB. They will wet fart there, unfortunately.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

zapplez posted:

Do people really see the Vikes as having a shot at going all the way? How often does a team win the superbowl with an non-great QB? Once every 10-20 years? I see it as Pats>Pitts>NO>ATL>Vikes>Eagles>Garbage remaining

Just in the last 20 years, and using a broad definition of "great QB" that includes Roethlisberger and Wilson, you'd have:

Dilfer
Johnson
Eli
Eli again
and Peyton's dessicated corpse

So that's 5 out of 20, 25%. It's a long way from impossible. That's counting Flacco as "great" for playing like Joe Montana for a month in the greatest contract push ever and then immediately returning to mediocrity forever. Keenum's at least played great for 4 months but YMMV.

The Vikings won't reach much less win the Super Bowl because they're the Vikings and their entire shtick is kicking their fans in the balls with a steel toed boot, but aside from that there's no reason they couldn't.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

zapplez posted:

I see every team remaining having a chance. Yes, even Erotic Smashmouth.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Not including Russ and Ben in a list of great QBs is kinda nuts. they both do the same thing in different ways-extend plays way further than they should be able to and make deep throws out of that. Their yards per attempt, even adjusted for ints or sacks, are great

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Diqnol posted:

I would be really surprised if a Wentzless Eagles beat the Falcons and the Saints/Vikings

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Diqnol posted:

I don't know. I honestly think Atlanta will beat them this week.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just in the last 20 years, and using a broad definition of "great QB" that includes Roethlisberger and Wilson, you'd have:

Dilfer
Johnson
Eli
Eli again
and Peyton's dessicated corpse

So that's 5 out of 20, 25%. It's a long way from impossible. That's counting Flacco as "great" for playing like Joe Montana for a month in the greatest contract push ever and then immediately returning to mediocrity forever. Keenum's at least played great for 4 months but YMMV.

The Vikings won't reach much less win the Super Bowl because they're the Vikings and their entire shtick is kicking their fans in the balls with a steel toed boot, but aside from that there's no reason they couldn't.

Although there was a lot of luck involved in Eli's wins, you cant really say he didnt play great in those games. He beat the 16-0 Pats ffs. Peyton is arguable the 1st or 2nd best QB of the modern era even if he was garbage during his 2015 win. So its more like Dilfer/Johnson and Peyton 2015 was flukey.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

zapplez posted:

Although there was a lot of luck involved in Eli's wins, you cant really say he didnt play great in those games. He beat the 16-0 Pats ffs. Peyton is arguable the 1st or 2nd best QB of the modern era even if he was garbage during his 2015 win. So its more like Dilfer/Johnson and Peyton 2015 was flukey.

I don't think you get to do it this way. If Eli was great in those wins and therefore great then you count Roethlisberger as loving putrid during his first SB win. And Brady as decidedly mediocre in his first.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Please don't ever quote Jonathan Fisk posts again, thanks in advance

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Shangri-Law School posted:

Their defensive line is good, their linebackers are good, and they have the second-best cornerback and second-best safety in the NFC North. They can make Brady's night difficult.

I mean, hes done well but its weird that you consider Sendejo the second best Saftey in the NFC North. I mean, cause clearly Harrison Smith is the best saftey in the NFC North considering he was statistically one of the best safteys in NFL history this year.... Opposing QBs would have had a better rating if they threw the ball into the ground that if they threw the ball at Smith.

Pash fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I don't think you get to do it this way. If Eli was great in those wins and therefore great then you count Roethlisberger as loving putrid during his first SB win. And Brady as decidedly mediocre in his first.

Ben played terribly in his first Super Bowl, but was lights out before and (more or less) since. It's dumb to point to one game as an indicator of his overall performance (same with Brady obviously), and it's crazy to not think to include him in a list of "great QBs" of the past decade.

• Locked thread