Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

John Murdoch posted:

It's also super important that you can ruin your character forever by foolishy putting points in the wrong stat because you didn't know any better despite the entire metagame revolving around copying someone else's build anyway.

The one negative thing I'll say about D3's skill system is that it lacks a sense of progression. Runes and to a lesser extent skills unlock progressively, but fundamentally need to balanced independent of that, so a lot of the time your build will be done well before you've unlocked everything. That leaves you to chase loot (which pre-endgame is largely interchangeable outside of the occasional nice unique) or get invested in the story, which uhh...isn't as bad as most people say it is, but still isn't great.

Yeah, the Paragon system does a lot to fix this but it gets old. It doesn't help that most of the skills you unlock late in the levelling system are the big flashy ones that are never included in decent builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

precision posted:

more games should adapt the diablo 3 system where you can freely switch between wildly different builds without having to find some NPC and pay him money to use different skills

I love diablo 3 & this might be an unpopular thing to say but it is without a doubt a loot grinding system. In diablo 2 you invest all this effort over long stretches of time to carefully crafting your unique character who may or may not be the most ideal. That's part of the fun. Maybe you'll end up with a good one, maybe not! For example, I remember investing a poo poo ton of points into dexterity with my level 87 sorceress. It was not a smart move & didn't make any sense to the character but it was kewl. Then you get to diablo 3 and the skills & stats are basically interchangeable & that kind of bugs me. It is all about the loot in d3, for better or for worse, everything else can be changed at will & doesn't seem to matter all that much. Kind of a downer.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

A3th3r posted:

I was debating with myself about posting this in the unpopular opinions thread or the terrible games on steam thread & ended up here. I need to get this off my chest: the new Wolfenstein 2: the new Colossus SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! It really makes me sad because I thought Wolfenstein: the New Order was masterpiece. Enemy Territory I thought was excellent arena FPS combat. Wolfenstein: the Old Blood was pretty ok. It was kind of campy but that can be fun too. Sort of like the game No One Lives Forever 2. Anyways, the new game is a complete turd because the bad guys are complete nutcases and the story line doesn't make any sense - they have a lot of plot twists that are just too unbelievable to be taken seriously. I guess I can admit that it can be fun to go in that direction but I just wish they had more of an authentic mindset about it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/612880/

I was really excited about getting it for Christmas, but I'm in some wrecked radioactive town and I've been playing for a couple of hours and I just don't give a gently caress. The cutscenes are cool and fun but the gameplay is straight up bad. The encounters are all unfair nonsense and the "just put it on easy!" refrain really doesn't make me feel any better. I'm probably going to trade it in for a copy of Titanfall 2.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Oh dear me posted:

All RPG levelling up systems suck. All of them. You start out with the game being a challenge which you cannot meet imaginitively because your character has only one or two skills; you end with your character having lots of skills and no need to use them because you have 5000 health and Massive Armour of Untouchability or what have you.

I agree with quite a bit of this opinion.

Personally, I wish more games tried to hone the % based systems of 0-100% skills so you can fight things great at 50% but you won't hit as much as say an 80% skill.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

A3th3r posted:

I was debating with myself about posting this in the unpopular opinions thread or the terrible games on steam thread & ended up here. I need to get this off my chest: the new Wolfenstein 2: the new Colossus SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! It really makes me sad because I thought Wolfenstein: the New Order was masterpiece. Enemy Territory I thought was excellent arena FPS combat. Wolfenstein: the Old Blood was pretty ok. It was kind of campy but that can be fun too. Sort of like the game No One Lives Forever 2. Anyways, the new game is a complete turd because the bad guys are complete nutcases and the story line doesn't make any sense - they have a lot of plot twists that are just too unbelievable to be taken seriously. I guess I can admit that it can be fun to go in that direction but I just wish they had more of an authentic mindset about it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/612880/
If it wasn't broken and continues to be broken for a rather good fraction of people, then there might be a good or bad opinion on that. The story was one of the worst I have ever seen, outside of super budget titles with a broken plot. Also being forced to side with comically incompetent Communists where you don't have any options of going alone. The weird gameplay features such as running over X item or you manually pick up Y item. Game has many bad quirks.

Historical Lowest Price: $0.00 at Dreamgame on 8/17/2017 (Info):aslol:

I'll go back to the older games.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 23, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah, the Paragon system does a lot to fix this but it gets old. It doesn't help that most of the skills you unlock late in the levelling system are the big flashy ones that are never included in decent builds.

Well Paragon also doesn't kick in until you hit the level cap, but I agree it's cool up until a point.

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!
- Traditional point-and-click adventure games should have stopped existing circa 2000.
- I love the Baldur's Gate games, but trying to play them today is downright masochistic.
- Like 3/4ths of first-person games would work better as third-person.
- The push-in-on-the-thumbstick "button" is terrible and should never be a criticial part of any control scheme.
- Late-90's LucasArts shooters (Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, Outlaws) still have the best level design of their kind.
- Most sports games have awful gameplay and are only perceived as "good" out of misplaced enthusiasm for their sports.
- Permadeath and other roguelike elements are getting shoehorned into way the hell too many games nowadays in a misguided attempt to give them "hardcore" cred.

- Also: I loving hate boss fights in almost every game where the combat isn't the primary draw.

Blues Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 24, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blues Hammer posted:

- Traditional point-and-click adventure games should have stopped existing circa 2000.
Why?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Blues Hammer posted:

- The push-in-on-the-thumbstick "button" is terrible and should never be a criticial part of any control scheme.

Yeah I hate that too. It just feels kind of awkward and like your finger is going to slip off and press one of the directions instead.

I don't get why so many people hate point and click adventures. I could play Fate of Atalantis or Discworld or Riven today and still enjoy it.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
My unpopular opinion:
Using cheats and game trainers in single player games is completely okay as long as you are having fun. No game should be a loving boring grind or second job and eat your time unnecessarily.

This goes back to the old game genie and Konami-code days when knowing cheats and where hidden rooms/items made you the cool kid. Also using emulation to speed up slow rear end games is loving amazing.

That being said, no one should hack/cheat/exploit or spend money to win in any multiplayer game that is competitive or pvp. Cheating in single player harms nobody, but cheating in multiplayer ruins it for everyone.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yes, that is what comes to mind when I think of an unpopular gaming opinion

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I believe that a certain amount of buggy, unfair, or otherwise bullshit enemies/bosses/mechanics are not only acceptable, they are essential to the impact and longevity of games. Overcoming the bullshit instills a sense of camaraderie amongst the player base and prompts deeper discussion into the underlying mechanics of how that game functions. If every game performed exactly as it was presented with no nuance and no need to work around its limitations, then it would make for a much shallower experience. When people complain about some bullshit aspect I always think to myself, “well hey, now at least it’s interesting.” The thing about it though is that developers can’t actively plan for the bullshit — it has to evolve naturally from the ruleset established by the game world itself.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Well yeah some iconic poo poo only exists because of limitations. Mario's entire appearance, literally any NES game music where the melody still appears in current gen installments, etc. Once you can do everything, that seems to be where things falter

My gaming opinion: liking poo poo games does not reflect on your character. There are plenty of people that do not have problems with women that enjoyed Metroid Other M for the gameplay (probably)

Obviously this is not a rule without exceptions. Rapelay is pretty indefensible

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Slayerjerman posted:

My unpopular opinion:
Using cheats and game trainers in single player games is completely okay as long as you are having fun. No game should be a loving boring grind or second job and eat your time unnecessarily.

This goes back to the old game genie and Konami-code days when knowing cheats and where hidden rooms/items made you the cool kid. Also using emulation to speed up slow rear end games is loving amazing.

That being said, no one should hack/cheat/exploit or spend money to win in any multiplayer game that is competitive or pvp. Cheating in single player harms nobody, but cheating in multiplayer ruins it for everyone.

Coolguye posted:

yes, that is what comes to mind when I think of an unpopular gaming opinion

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The midi music from NES/SNES era games are better than any full blown symphony orchestrated soundtrack of modern games. Why even bother with symphonies in games?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

The midi music from NES/SNES era games are better than any full blown symphony orchestrated soundtrack of modern games. Why even bother with symphonies in games?

Most AAA title symphonic stuff is just elevator music, simple strings and dumb melodies. At least retro tunes were catchy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Most game music has the same problem as movie scores - it's just predictable, unmemorable background music. Not a lot of risks being taken. Every once in a while you get a Thor Ragnarok but by and large it's Hans Zimmer wannabes pretending to be Hans Zimmer.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can easily get "memorable" from modern game music, you just have to give a single poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fikdYNqdgxI

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I'd say that's bullshit, because most chiptune stuff is just as bland and boring as later stuff. Video game music is rarely good as an independent piece, and often barely even mediocre as incidental music.

Most of the recommendations of a "great" sound track come from people enjoying the game, and associating that sound track with the enjoyment of the game. Exceptions are mostly down to a few composers, like Frank Klepacki or Darren Korb, and obviously licensed music is its own thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The music in Civ6 is poo poo. Every civ only has one track that repeats over and over until your ears bleed and later eras is still the same trash but with more instruments that ultimately leads to the exact same annoying melody but with more noise. It's a terrible idea and comes off as really lazy and cheap.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Poil posted:

The music in Civ6 is poo poo. Every civ only has one track that repeats over and over until your ears bleed and later eras is still the same trash but with more instruments that ultimately leads to the exact same annoying melody but with more noise. It's a terrible idea and comes off as really lazy and cheap.

Ah yes infamous poo poo music: Mozart's 41st symphony, 2nd movement

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Who will ever hear that when it's just kalinka for the 9000th time over and over?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ditty bout my clitty posted:

You can easily get "memorable" from modern game music, you just have to give a single poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fikdYNqdgxI

The USA battle theme should just be a dumb guy shouting "U.S.A!!! U.S.A!!!!" over and over imo

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

More games need to use bands instead of orchestras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayO7P3-uCRk

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TheScott2K posted:

Most game music has the same problem as movie scores - it's just predictable, unmemorable background music. Not a lot of risks being taken. Every once in a while you get a Thor Ragnarok but by and large it's Hans Zimmer wannabes pretending to be Hans Zimmer.

That known risk, licensed music.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hotel Mario is a decent game only held back by the bad CD I controller. The Zelda games on CD I, except for the top down one, have pretty great graphics and would be fun if some of their control problems would be fixed.

Ristar isn't actually an underrated game, it's a pretty tedious, slow and imprecise platformer with a weird gimmick with good graphics but mediocre everything else.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 25, 2018

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

TheScott2K posted:

I once watched an interview of a guy who does big name movies, i think it was Jurassic park, and he said movie music he tries to get to be on that cusp of being too noticeable and has to elevate the mood of the scene.

Basically, if you're watching inception and you think "OH gently caress OFF, WILL THAT loving BASS HORN TURN OFF?" they failed miserably.
If you watch a scene where the screeching violin in the background is making you grind your teeth in a tense situation without you thinking about the violin.. it succeeded.

I remember that lovely horror movie "High Tension" pulling off that music thing pretty good, because the director was trying to show off his ability to use long camera shots and music to create "high tension" suspense durrr..

Game music, should be something similar to a movie music unless the point is to notice the music.
Hyper light drafter, i heard since i never played it, apparently did this seamless transition like that perfectly for fights and such.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheScott2K posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheScott2K posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6y_KScT2vs

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Baldurs gate is bad and the infinity engine is woeful garbage and the fact that there are still games being made with it is laffo.

That being said, the only reason Baldurs gate was so popular was because there wasn't really anything else to play like it at the time other than buggy shareware crap like realmz and the exile games (both of which I spent more time playing and were much more fun) anyway the best infinity engine game was icewind dale (2?)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Baldurs gate is bad and the infinity engine is woeful garbage and the fact that there are still games being made with it is laffo.

That being said, the only reason Baldurs gate was so popular was because there wasn't really anything else to play like it at the time other than buggy shareware crap like realmz and the exile games (both of which I spent more time playing and were much more fun) anyway the best infinity engine game was icewind dale (2?)

All games in that genre seem incredibly boring to me, maybe I'm totally wrong and it feels different when you play but just looking at Baldur's Gate makes me yawn.

The interface looks unbelievably awful and I don't find the D&D aesthetic attractive.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

All games in that genre seem incredibly boring to me, maybe I'm totally wrong and it feels different when you play but just looking at Baldur's Gate makes me yawn.

The interface looks unbelievably awful and I don't find the D&D aesthetic attractive.

I tried to play planescape: torment a couple years ago and I just gave up after an hour or so it was so goddamn slow

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fridge corn posted:

I tried to play planescape: torment a couple years ago and I just gave up after an hour or so it was so goddamn slow

The things I don't like about top down infinity style games are the same things people say about Morrowind though and I love that game, but I think it's mostly the D&D stuff that puts me off. Morrowind at least has a pretty original world, and I guess it helps that it's in first person. Just watching BG or Planescape gameplay videos makes it look like an RTS except you only have 3 units and you have to click for each separate swing of your sword. The graphics are also kind of ugly.

Are the people who love Infinity the same people who love tabletop RPG's and stuff?

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Taking one of the greatest works of western music and turning it into background music by ripping it apart and rearranging it is like blasphemy i think.

I like the idea of what they're going for in civ 6 but it's just way too few tracks for a game you're supposed to play for hundreds of hours.

Have some good

Bobfromsales fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 26, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Bobfromsales posted:

Taking one of the greatest works of western music and turning it into background music by ripping it apart and rearranging it is like blasphemy i think.

I like the idea of what they're going for in civ 6 but it's just way too few tracks for a game you're supposed to play for hundreds of hours.

Ripping apart a piece of music and rearranging it isn't blasphemy and it happens all the time. What do you think a remix is? Or perhaps an arrangement to account for different instrumentation? Is playing a piece by Mozart blasphemy unless it's played using the original instrumentation on period instruments?

Anyway idk anything about the music for Civ6 cuz i haven't played it but the music for pervious civs is insanely inoffensive and after 300 hours of civ5 I still didn't have a problem with it so whatver

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Anyway idk anything about the music for Civ6 cuz i haven't played it but the music for pervious civs is insanely inoffensive and after 300 hours of civ5 I still didn't have a problem with it so whatver

That's the problem with civ 6. It's right there constantly asking you to notice it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

fridge corn posted:

RT+P loving blows.

BG was legitimately amazing when it came out though, I still remember how completely huge it felt when you entered the actual city late in the game and it was like six screens big or some poo poo.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Even the most amazing masterpiece ever created gets annoying if it's blared repeatably for hours and hours as you struggle with just one more turn. :(

As for a very unpopular opinion: In Stardew Valley, I don't hate Pierre.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm going to send hate mail to Obsidian until they stop loving copying the Infinity Engine and start copying the PC version of Temple of Elemental Evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I play all civ type games with the music off and put on my own music or a lecture or language class or whatever. Music is for action games.

• Locked thread