Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Real time + Pause is awful and the worst thing that ever happened to "traditional" WRPGs. It's like tactical combat except except far, far vaguer.

It breaks my heart that Obsidian are doing nostalgia trips for Infinity Engine fans because I loving hate the Infinity Engine and all combat systems inspired by it.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My other opinion is that Resident Evil 6 kicked rear end. It's my favorite terrible game since like, Lost Planet 2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Regular Nintendo posted:

This

Instead of having a system to learn and exploit you get a writhing orgy of nonsense

I'm going to send angry hatemail to Obsidian until they stop making Infinity Engine nostalgia games and start making Gold Box nostalgia games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

precision posted:

Mass Effect 2 is the only game that is better off being real time with pause.

The thing is Mass Effect is a shooter so there's no problem with feedback, you aim at the bad guys and shoot them. With Infinity Engine you like, sort of politely direct your guys to attack the bad guys? And somehow the D+D concept of turns is abstracted into this bullshit? It's loving horrible.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
adventure games were "big" because they used to fill the role of the AAA technical showpiece game that's mostly filled by shooters and action RPGs these days. back in the day King's Quest IV was the game to buy if you wanted to show off your IBM-compatible PC as a gaming machine (and also wanted to show off awful puzzle design).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also with a few exceptions like Quest for Glory and some of the better Infocom games, adventure games during the "golden years" of adventure gaming aren't very good and the modern indie stuff tends to be significantly better. Even LucasArts games were still just "use everything in your inventory on everything in the world until something works", just with no bullshit deaths.

Quest for Glory really was incredible though. Has any indie developer made something like that recently? (the particular gameplay itch QFG scratches is sort of done by action RPGs like New Vegas and Witcher III these days, but I'd love to see something more explicitly in the adventure game mold)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fallout 2 is my favorite but I can definitely see what people don't like about it. I just like that there's so much goddamn poo poo to do in the game but Fallout 1 is definitely a more focused game that's nearly perfect.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wing Commander III might be the best FMV game ever made but I definitely get what you're saying.

Mass Effect 2 is the best Chris Roberts game ever made.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They were some of the first games to take advantage of sound cards too. King's Quest IV had an ~orchestral score~!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Riven is amazing, one of the few mystlikes where the puzzles seem to actually just be part of the world and not arbitrary poo poo where doors are locked with musical puzzles for no reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Figuring out the D'ni counting system was base 5 before I even understood that concept mathematically made me feel like a freaking genius at age 12.

(riven puzzle spoilers) figuring out that the giant rear end grid in the golden dome was a map was that moment for me. the base-5 thing remains one of my favorite game puzzles of all time, because of how much sense it makes in the game world

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I had a strategy guide for Riven which had like five or six different styles of hint guide in it, from vague hints, to a straight up listing of all puzzle solutions, to an actual novella adaptation of the game. They put a shitload of effort into it, it's still one of the best hint guides I've ever read.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst era of 3D graphics isn't the early PS1/Saturn/N64 days, it's the early 360/Unreal Engine 3 days where everything was either brown or looked like it was covered in slime.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bioshock 1, apart from the Big Daddy, had some of the worst model work I've ever seen in a video game. Holy poo poo did everything in that game look bad, and not in a creepy way, just lovely

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

Bioshock 2 is way better than 1 and Infinite at basically everything.

I actually completely agree, it has by far the best combat in the series and the last few levels are great (unlike Infinite, BS1, and actually System Shock 2, where the last levels are the worst by a good margin)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
here's an unpopular Shock opinion: The RPG elements (by which I mean skill stats, stuff like the inventory system was fine) were a net negative to System Shock 2, and System Shock 1, once you get past the weird controls, is a significantly better game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

SS1's controls thwarted me when I tried it a few years ago, but I'm interested in that remake, whatever's happening with it.

idk. the Portable Edition's controls are basically similar to SS2 where you hit a button to turn mouselook on or off, I found it perfectly fine with that being used.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

fridge corn posted:

Baldurs gate is bad and the infinity engine is woeful garbage and the fact that there are still games being made with it is laffo.

That being said, the only reason Baldurs gate was so popular was because there wasn't really anything else to play like it at the time other than buggy shareware crap like realmz and the exile games (both of which I spent more time playing and were much more fun) anyway the best infinity engine game was icewind dale (2?)

RT+P loving blows.

BG was legitimately amazing when it came out though, I still remember how completely huge it felt when you entered the actual city late in the game and it was like six screens big or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm going to send hate mail to Obsidian until they stop loving copying the Infinity Engine and start copying the PC version of Temple of Elemental Evil

• Locked thread