Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

On occasion, people find themselves holding ideas about video games that are, to be blunt, massively different from the norm. This is the thread to post them, talk about them, and then defend them when everyone else inevitably jumps on you for it.

I'll start off with a few.

1) Crash Bandicoot 1 is the best Crash game.
2) Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls; DS3 is the worst.
3) Mass Effect 3 is the best Mass Effect.
4) Zelda II loving rules!
5) FF8 is better than FF6.

Post yours! It's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Video games are fun.

:stonk:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

Brutal Legend's stage battles gameplay is legitimately good, fun and deeper than is generally acknowledged. Its biggest flaw is the obfuscation of the deeper mechanics (in particular each unit's strengths and weaknesses) and lack of feedback ("is what I'm doing actually working?"), yet that simultaneously serves as its biggest strength in causing each battle to feel like utter, random chaos.

I actually agree with this; I thought BL would have been better if they focused more on the RTS stuff and less on the bad knockoff arpg gameplay.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Maybe consider replaying the original Halo, because good good, man. The Library?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

This seems like a terribly nonconstructive idea for a thread

Game is good no it's not megathread [56k your favorite game sucks lol]

Maybe, but people love to talk about their opinions on games and it's fun to read! I expected way more arguing though.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

So Doki Doki leaning so hard into that stuff just made it read as really out of touch. It'd be like if you made a sick subversive creepypasta FPS and the first thing it did was tell you to insert an n64 controller and rumble pak while the goldeneye theme played.

That would own though

Pablo Gigante posted:

The problem is that “unpopular opinions” almost always translate to “X game that people like is actually bad and you’re a bad person for liking it” and it just contributes to the Gamesian trend of complaining about anything and everything

I mean I'd hope that I had set the tone in the OP but like, ribbing people is fine but you can't really change someone's personal opinions on a game, you know?

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 9, 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I thought her story was extremely simplistic and constantly broke its own logic for "character moments" that ruined whatever it was going for. Who let this woman have a guitar during a police interrogation? Also you could solve it and hit the end of the game in less than four searches from the first couple of videos if you think at all about what they're talking about.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I never understood the cult love for Earthbound. It's an okay SNES RPG, but it has a clunky interface and a weird battle system. The dialogue is a little cute, and I guess people playing video games for the first time must have thought it was the greatest thing because it had small attempts of humor at a time when most games tend to not have humorous moments. The music was forgettable, and the Smash Bros Melee composition of Onett sounds good because it sounds nothing like the original game. I would easily come up with a list of 20 RPGs on SNES I would rather replay before that one.

Earthbound really captures the feeling of being a kid on a big adventure, I think, which is why it's so beloved. Also the roller HP system is really cool and lets you do some neat stuff.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I remember the tune from getting all eight of the McGuffins but that is literally all of the Earthbound music I remember, so forgettable is about right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_oc9Ypcb2Q

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tomba is a masterpiece.

fridge corn posted:

I will never play undertale

Undertale really isn't that bad. The music is good and the game itself is pretty short, so.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

The main pistol feels like I'm clicking people to death.

the pistol in half life 2 is easily one of the worst pistols in video game history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

precision posted:

Is that really an outlier opinion? I seem to recall most people doing a 180 on that game pretty soon after it came out, and definitely by the time the sequel came out and was just "more of the same boring poo poo"

People will loving fight you over Golden Sun despite that series being pretty bad, I honestly don't get it at all.

• Locked thread