Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

luckily roman reigns ring work isn't one of them, just his booking and even then his booking is pretty drat good since they ended that lovely worked shoot cena feud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I completely disagree, but then again you'd probably say the same thing about Roman Reigns and I would also disagree

Yeah that's how I know I'm right.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
wwe wrestling is typically boring, but i also dislike the NJPW style because I think they're just braining themselves for no reason

I do have to say though that take the new day and USO feud, i thought those matches they had both tag teams were switching up the move set having really awesome matches other than that I can't think of any wrestler who have been switching it up as of late

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Congrats on not liking one of the best in ring workers in wwe, did you also vote Usos as worst tag team of the year in 2014?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Do it ironically posted:

wwe wrestling is typically boring, but i also dislike the NJPW style because I think they're just braining themselves for no reason

I do have to say though that take the new day and USO feud, i thought those matches they had both tag teams were switching up the move set having really awesome matches other than that I can't think of any wrestler who have been switching it up as of late

outside of that what DO you like? Not condescending I'm actually curious. The average indie style can't be done on the WWE schedule so if you're looking for that here I would rather not see it

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

luckily roman reigns ring work isn't one of them, just his booking and even then his booking is pretty drat good since they ended that lovely worked shoot cena feud

that was about finn

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
im like most people who watch wwe i hate myself and everyone else

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

that was about finn

i'd put finn and roman on an equal level, which is right underneath aj styles

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
PSP 1988: "Ric Flair is SOO awful, he always does the same spots in every match. We get it, dude, you always get thrown off the top turnbuckle and can fall on your face!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My only real complaint about Finn is that when he paints it up, he still wrestles entirely the same. There should be more to the demon persona than a spoooOOoooooky entrance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also that stupid rear end submission spot in the seth rollins match but i'm willing to blame that on seth because i hate him

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Bayley has no doubt suffered from bad booking but she's still dogshit on the mic, which matters a lot for me. Her ring work is usually crisp but doesn't wow me enough to make up for her promo work.

I can't remember Finn having a really great match, but I mysteriously like him a little anyway. He's not one of my faves but he does somehow have more goodwill with me than I can explain. He's not amazing in the ring or on the mic, but he's adequate at both, and he looks cool when he isn't crawling around with his goth raver dreadlocks on his head. His new gimmick of being a grinning poo poo-talker with muscled backup works more towards his mic strengths than his old persona did, imo. I can't imagine him wowing me with a fiery babyface promo but he can definitely be a smug dick.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

My only real complaint about Finn is that when he paints it up, he still wrestles entirely the same. There should be more to the demon persona than a spoooOOoooooky entrance
Apart from the time he almost shoot murdered Kevin Owens with a coup de grace off a ladder

He should do that kind of poo poo more often in his demon matches

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

dromal phrenia posted:

Bayley has no doubt suffered from bad booking but she's still dogshit on the mic, which matters a lot for me. Her ring work is usually crisp but doesn't wow me enough to make up for her promo work.

I can't remember Finn having a really great match, but I mysteriously like him a little anyway. He's not one of my faves but he does somehow have more goodwill with me than I can explain. He's not amazing in the ring or on the mic, but he's adequate at both, and he looks cool when he isn't crawling around with his goth raver dreadlocks on his head. His new gimmick of being a grinning poo poo-talker with muscled backup works more towards his mic strengths than his old persona did, imo. I can't imagine him wowing me with a fiery babyface promo but he can definitely be a smug dick.

You see, this is an opinion I respect.

Friend, have you seen 2013 Prince Devitt? They may not book him right but Bullet Balor Club leader Finn Balor might be a better slot while just making the Demon stuff a cool costume to use on big shows

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I miss when Finn was a sawed off jackass beating up cameramen and riding around on Bad Luck Fale

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

Apart from the time he almost shoot murdered Kevin Owens with a coup de grace off a ladder

I feel like he does do stuff like the shotgun dropkick to the barricade when he's in the makeup, and not as normal leather jacket man.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Gaz-L posted:

PSP 1988: "Ric Flair is SOO awful, he always does the same spots in every match. We get it, dude, you always get thrown off the top turnbuckle and can fall on your face!"

Me 1988: Push Mario Mancini

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

St Evan Echoes posted:

also the only time the coup de grace was good

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

"rey mysterio has never been good and of course he isn't over he's small" - a random WH2K poster in 2006

Lmao people were posting that poo poo up until he left wwe. Before he started wearing his dumb chubster shirts even.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The coup de grace is bad, it somehow manages to look weak in kayfabe and painful irl, at the same time

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Do it ironically posted:

The njpw style isn't even as dangerous as you think. Wwe people tend to get injured wayyy more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

There were no good wrestlers until 1997.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You, an idiot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55vryQuViKw

Me, an intellectual: Bayley sucks and has no fans.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Lmao people were posting that poo poo up until he left wwe. Before he started wearing his dumb chubster shirts even.

i know and i was talking poo poo to them too

The_Rob posted:

The njpw style isn't even as dangerous as you think. Wwe people tend to get injured wayyy more.

This is also a schedule thing. WWE wrestlers travel more and wrestle more while not being slotted into mostly multi-man tag matches on smaller shows. Well... outside of the G-1 but even then they've been spreading that out and trying their best to kill the roster slightly less. But seriously all the great wrestlers in NJPW mainly just hit their big spots in 4 or 5 man tags between the important matches and god bless them for it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It was racism.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i think finn's boring too, he's basically slightly cooler randy orton. seems like a really nice guy though so i really wouldn't care if he won a bunch but he wont.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I wonder how folks at large will respond to all of the wrestlers, next time they show up! And later on.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Regarding Finn's matches all feeling very similar I can't help but feel like part of that is because, I dunno, has he done anything except
A) Wrestle Bray Wyatt
B) Wrestle 4 minutes matches against low midcard/job guys

I remember he wrestled Roman Reigns on Raw once and despite a dumbass finish he wound up carrying him to a pretty good match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I enjoyed that time he was asked what rating he thought he had in WWE18 and he was like "Given this year? 12"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That DICK! posted:

i think finn's boring too, he's basically slightly cooler randy orton. seems like a really nice guy though so i really wouldn't care if he won a bunch but he wont.

:agreed:

Good dude, good wrestler even if I find him kinda boring. Wish he hadn't gotten injured during his big championship moment, would not mind him having another.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

The_Rob posted:

eh, it's definitely more head shotty than even my local bowling alley indy which is surprisingly safe despite the terrible wrestling i watch there

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
NXT was a mistake

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

Maybe if he beat up a cameraman and told other wrestlers to gently caress off, he’d be better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTpCVhggPJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl409TDwIu0

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

You see, this is an opinion I respect.

Friend, have you seen 2013 Prince Devitt? They may not book him right but Bullet Balor Club leader Finn Balor might be a better slot while just making the Demon stuff a cool costume to use on big shows

You would think I'd watch more Devitt since I have a NJPW World sub and love it enough to justify looking up old stuff, but I'm mostly unfamiliar with his work there, aside from cool entrances and match highlights. I agree about the Demon being more of a big match dressup instead of "Randy's going to that place!""Balor's tapped into that side of himself!", preferably without the hat/wig/headdress thing. Devitt coming out of a coffin all painted up is way cooler.

I think the addition of the club can also help with his detractors suspension of disbelief, like the people ITT who think he's too small. They might not buy Balor beating Brock, but throw in some tweener/heel action from his boys and it's a different story. Like if, say, Gallows menaces Paul, and Brock is suitably distracted, it gives Finn a chance to hit his shotgun dropkick. Which Brock, if he so chooses, could sell really well.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

NXT was a mistake

I've been saying this since 2015

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It's amusing that NXT manages to book things in such a way that everyone looks decent to very good, then people get called to the main roster, look like poo poo, and it becomes NXT's fault for not preparing them for Raw's infinitely shittier booking

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

dromal phrenia posted:

You would think I'd watch more Devitt since I have a NJPW World sub and love it enough to justify looking up old stuff, but I'm mostly unfamiliar with his work there, aside from cool entrances and match highlights. I agree about the Demon being more of a big match dressup instead of "Randy's going to that place!""Balor's tapped into that side of himself!", preferably without the hat/wig/headdress thing. Devitt coming out of a coffin all painted up is way cooler.

I think the addition of the club can also help with his detractors suspension of disbelief, like the people ITT who think he's too small. They might not buy Balor beating Brock, but throw in some tweener/heel action from his boys and it's a different story. Like if, say, Gallows menaces Paul, and Brock is suitably distracted, it gives Finn a chance to hit his shotgun dropkick. Which Brock, if he so chooses, could sell really well.

Which is exactly the type of stuff that happened in that amazing AJ Styles/Roman Reigns feud.

But if anything I would watch the main matches of the Devitt/Okada feud if you have NJPW world. ESPECIALLY his Jr. Heavyweight title defense against Gedo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love Styles but my favorite Roman feud is still with Braun. There's something to be said for a company doing what it's good at and WWE can be the best company in the world at having a big rear end in a top hat heel do awesome gimmicky brawling poo poo.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Hello welcome to NXT, please acclimate yourself to wrestling in front of a TV audience consisting of the same ~500 people once every month or two plus some house shows and four or five large events that almost exclusively attract fans of the NXT programming each year. Do this for the next two or three years or maybe longer who knows

Ok good job you made it to the main roster, now please immediately transfer your character and ability to a main roster schedule that consists of weekly live television, monthly large PPV events, constantly changing audiences that probably didn't watch NXT or care about you and near constant road travel and an entirely new world of talent politics and jockeying for position

Hmm golly why do so many of these NXT graduates end up not working out on the big shows the same way they did in Orlando? Some mysteries will never be solved, go tell Brock we'll give him another half million to show up for two extra dates this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

lets not also forget "bad booking for everyone," "every promo is completely scripted," and "we'll bring you up as if everyone already knows who you are" as part of the main roster problems

Bayley isn't perfect but if they just told the same story again it would've gotten over even if some nerds who watch NXT called it a retread

• Locked thread