Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
To be honest I think the AFL should spend less time trying to micro-engineer the game through constant rule changes and turning the MRP into Plucka Duck, and instead focus on things like...

paying their suppliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Fox Footy coverage has issues (Eddie) but half-time and post-game coverage is largely spent analysing the game and not on bantz between the boys. 7 is as shoddily produced as The Footy Show and about as inviting to anyone not interested in its boys’ club aesthetic.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Channel 7 also has violent criminal and sex assault perpetrator Wayne Carey on the coverage for some reason

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The other problem with using the draft as the be-all-end-all equalisation tool is that it ignores the massive importance of club culture on the development of talent

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

racing identity posted:

The problem with the draft as an equalisation measure is that it doesn't work in the short term. All but the most freakish of talents take at least a few years to develop into consistently good players.

The other issue is that football teams are big - 22 players in a game and 50-ish in a squad, means you have to turn over or develop a lot of players to make a bad team into a good team.

Compare that to the NBA for instance, where there's 5 players on a court, and a roster of only 15. It's comparatively much easier to turn over your squad through trading and drafting, and one player can have a significant difference to a teams's fortunes. If you put Lebron on the worst team in the NBA, they would immediately become a playoff calibre team. If you send Dusty to Carlton, they're probably still bottom of the ladder.

The amount of talent required to rebuild a list is exactly why teams have tried to bring in top draft picks in groups and not rely on their normal yearly allocation. Overall clubs rebuilding just need more access to players who may be a long term quality players and the draft is pretty much the main way to make that happen.

racing identity posted:

And you can't really increase the incentives to finish bottom without further encouraging tanking

Any team that is willing to tank for a pick in the early 20's is probably doomed to fail regardless of any other factors.

Spedman posted:

The other problem with using the draft as the be-all-end-all equalisation tool is that it ignores the massive importance of club culture on the development of talent

While that definitely has an impact, the draft is the foundation that every club who is at the bottom end of the ladder has to rely on to rebuild. The fact that every club who has done a full rebuild in recent times has identified the need to bring in a lot more picks inside the first few rounds pretty much shows that the draft in its current form doesn't do enough to naturally rebuild teams. For example, the Saints identified that they'd need 3 picks inside the top 20 every year for three years as the key component of their rebuild.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Spedman posted:

Ding ding ding

A poor club development culture will make what are regarded to be best young players in the country into the next Jimmy Toumpas.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmmm all my tips are correct so far so it falls to my own team to steal my Whopper. (Yes I know we don't get Whoppers anymore which is a bloody outrage.)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I tried a whopper a while ago thinking it was just a bacon deluxe without bacon and boy is it not. Ewww.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

I tried a whopper a while ago thinking it was just a bacon deluxe without bacon and boy is it not. Ewww.

:eyepop:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Crows looking sharper this week but GWS have turned up too

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Well Fyfe ain’t winning the Brownlow now, and we’re getting pumped by Collingwood, gently caress this game.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Spedman posted:

Well Fyfe ain’t winning the Brownlow now, and we’re getting pumped by Collingwood, gently caress this game.

He'll get a fine, no doubt.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

We look slower than a c grade side after a night out

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone else would get two weeks for that crude hit but Fyfe is high on Brownlow votes. Verdict: fine.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

realbez posted:

Anyone else would get two weeks for that crude hit but Fyfe is high on Brownlow votes. Verdict: fine.

I honestly will be shocked if he’s playing the next round against Adelaide, it was proper crude and you could see he knew it when they showed him getting a rub down on the bench right after.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A slow as treacle midfield is ok when it's as brutally unbeatable inside as Josh Kennedy, but ours is getting spanked inside and then having the same players run rings around them outside

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

C'MON YOU CROWS

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Doesn't matter whether Fyfe gets suspended or not because Max Gawn is going to walk it in fyi

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hogan and Will Hoskin-Elliot the only players to have kicked a goal each round this season

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Faaaaark

Giants up by 9 with not much time left

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hartigan getting stats the only way he knows how - getting frees

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Fuckfuckfuckfuck

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Badelaide

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Really just four key injuries are showing just how bad the rest of the list is

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Really just four key injuries are showing just how bad the rest of the list is

I don't think many teams would be doing much better if you took out their 5 of their top 10 players, including the captain and vice captain

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

adelaides loss lifted port into the 8 lol

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
port has played a game less than everyone else, too.

edit: Lever ACL tear confirmed =\

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Really rough for Jake, he'd just found form in the last 3 weeks or so. Reckoning 9 months out so presumably looking to return via the VFL sometime next season. Hunt/Frost going to be asked to step up big time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

fwiw I’d really rather we didn’t lose to Collingwood if that’s at all possible

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So, will Fyfe get a week or not? IT"S TIME FOR MRP BINGO!!!!

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

fwiw I’d really rather we didn’t lose to Collingwood if that’s at all possible

i would like to not lose to collingwood but best case scenario would be flogging them and everyone spends the next week calling them pretenders

however melbourne gonna melbourne so i half expect the reverse to occur. but to be honest i liked the way the dees didnt have things their own way in the doggies game and still were able to adjust under (albeit somewhat incompetent) adversity

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

snaeksikn posted:

Ding ding ding

A poor club development culture will make what are regarded to be best young players in the country into the next Jimmy Toumpas.

The thing is, I believe that development "culture" is actually more about maintaining a competitive team to allow young players to build up games.

It has taken Melbourne a decade to rebuild due to them jettisoning most of their players over the years and really bottoming out. Carlton are feeling that squeeze now and the Saints definitely have and are right now. Teams like Sydney/Hawks/Geelong seem to just inherently develop better but I think its really due to them becoming strong before the GWS/GC draft mess and being able to make the most of it and keep a cycle going.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You see it all the time in sports where amazing talents thrown into the deep end can't cope and their development suffers. Sure eventually, they'll end up as solid dependable players but often it's the potential that suffers and the meanwhile is rough for fans too.
If you blow it up and there's no transcendent talent waiting for you at pick no1 you're hosed.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

The thing is, I believe that development "culture" is actually more about maintaining a competitive team to allow young players to build up games.

It has taken Melbourne a decade to rebuild due to them jettisoning most of their players over the years and really bottoming out. Carlton are feeling that squeeze now and the Saints definitely have and are right now. Teams like Sydney/Hawks/Geelong seem to just inherently develop better but I think its really due to them becoming strong before the GWS/GC draft mess and being able to make the most of it and keep a cycle going.

oh absolutely, when you have 18 players on the field for a team then morale and habits become far more intangible than just what the single individual is capable of, its why afl is such a massively momentum dictated game. having the right mix of experienced heads who know what the right decision is 95% of the time makes a huge difference when you are giving young guys a run early in their career. when you have a huge chunk of the side being young blokes trying to find their way its easy for it to all go off the rails and ruin young talent before the club cottons on to how badly theyve gotten it wrong

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Periphery posted:

The fact that Carlton, the Dogs, Lions, Suns and Saint all look loving horrible this year is a pretty bad sign for the game in general imo. Carlton and the Lions less so, but the Saints and Dogs should be way better than they are. Both are playing real young teams due to injury etc but should still be better than the poo poo they are showing this year.

IMO the draft doesn't go far enough in its ability to boost teams off the bottom and needs to be reworked so the bottom 6 teams get more picks inside the first 2 rounds. Though that wouldn't fix all the off field fuckups...

The Dogs are the youngest team in the comp
(and won a flag recently?) and it’s not the draft’s fault that St Kilda has filled their side full of vanilla plodders

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
E: Hit wrong button
E2: What I really meant to post:

Shmoses posted:

The Dogs are the youngest team in the comp
(and won a flag recently?) and it’s not the draft’s fault that St Kilda has filled their side full of vanilla plodders

The Dogs may be the youngest total list but Saints are actually the youngest team in the comp at the moment. Here's the breakdown of the 5 teams that played on the weekend:

Periphery fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 3, 2018

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Periphery posted:

E: Hit wrong button
E2: What I really meant to post:

The Dogs may be the youngest total list but Saints are actually the youngest team in the comp at the moment. Here's the breakdown of the 5 teams that played on the weekend:

Add Freo into that

pre:

Height	       188.4cm
Weight	       87.8kg
Age	       23yr 2mth
Games	       56.1

Games	Fremantle	
Less than 50	         13
50 to 99	         5
100 to 149	         3
150 or more	         1
Also I tipped 9 this round.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Spedman posted:

Add Freo into that

I completely forgot about Freo. Probably because I'm hardwired to assume that any Ross Lyon coached team must be full of old men at the expense of talented young kids. :v:

That's a stupidly young and inexperienced team. Without having watched all their games or looked at their draw, they are doing pretty well to have a percentage of 81.3%. That's probably another reason I forgot that they were rebuilding as their performances haven't been as consistently horrible as the others. The other 5 teams all have a percentage under 80% with Saints (71), Suns (68) and Blues (63) all significantly worse.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Cowdude suspended. 1 week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Periphery posted:

I completely forgot about Freo. Probably because I'm hardwired to assume that any Ross Lyon coached team must be full of old men at the expense of talented young kids. :v:

That's a stupidly young and inexperienced team. Without having watched all their games or looked at their draw, they are doing pretty well to have a percentage of 81.3%. That's probably another reason I forgot that they were rebuilding as their performances haven't been as consistently horrible as the others. The other 5 teams all have a percentage under 80% with Saints (71), Suns (68) and Blues (63) all significantly worse.

The older outs at the moment are the Hill brothers, Sandilands, Ballantyne, Matera, Spurr, Bennell, D. Pearce, and Johnson.

Johnson and Ballantyne will likely be done this year, maybe Sandilands and Pearce too.

Was always going to be at least a week for this:

https://twitter.com/AFLcomau/status/1003171116133728256