Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
afaik out on the full is recorded as a clanger, and not a free kick for or against either team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

racing identity posted:

afaik out on the full is recorded as a clanger, and not a free kick for or against either team

I think you’re right.

Free for: When a player is interfered with and is awarded a free kick by the umpires.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-28/stats-glossary-every-stat-explained

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
That’s a really handy guide. I also didn’t realise you get a score assist for winning a free kick if advantage taken leads to a score.

Now imagine if we had the kind of access to champion data that MLB fans get :negative:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Now imagine if we had the kind of access to champion data that MLB fans get :negative:

Yeah it is bloody frustrating, I'm sure they're terrified what would happen to betting if we had detailed stats.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I feel like theyre also terrified of what would happen to all the jobs for the boys if there was garage analytics coming in from everywhere proving so many people in the industry are full of poo poo

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

I feel like theyre also terrified of what would happen to all the jobs for the boys if there was garage analytics coming in from everywhere proving so many people in the industry are full of poo poo

The whole footy industry in a nutshell, gotta keep jobs for the (incompetent) boys.

Probably extend that Australia in general really.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Solemn Sloth posted:

Everyone already knows people like David King are talking poo poo, it makes no difference

The one thing that seems to be guaranteed every year is that nobody knows anything

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Tell that to last placed North and first placed Essendon.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If you look at the American sports, freely available stats are good for everyone, the media, the fans, and the nerds. It just doesn't suit the company who owns it right now and the chumps paying for it. It's a dumb as gently caress idea that they've been told is dumb as gently caress repeatedly but the Australian business mindset seems to be "we must be right if it annoys someone".

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah having to scrape AFLTables is pretty ghetto (as great as AFLTables is).

Even if I had a free live score feed that just gave the scores it'd be a big help. But rentseeking in this country is rife.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

We are the country of negative gearing and Gerry Harvey after all

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I wrote a thing that automatically scrapes AFLtables on footywire every week for match and player stats and chucks it in a database, it's v nice.

Since about 2010 Champion Data increased the range of player stats they release. Interesting things like 'pressure acts', metres gained, disposal efficiency, bounces are on Footywire but not AFLtables. so they need to merge them together.

Let me know if anyone would like to access the DB

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Watching some of the final quarters from state of origin games they're playing on fox footy just convinces me that people who think the quality of the game has gone down must have head injuries

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Watching some of the final quarters from state of origin games they're playing on fox footy just convinces me that people who think the quality of the game has gone down must have head injuries

Legit. I have seen quite a few videos of early 90s saints matches and the game was faaar less skilled in general back then. Yes you had players like Robert Harvey/Winmar/Nathan Burke/Plugga who all played that top percent footy but overall it isnt half as skilled as todays game.

The big thing about 90s footy was the big bags the forwards kicked all the time.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
i like the big hits and the big goals

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
On the subject of head injuries does Aussie footy have post-career trauma issues on the scale of American football? Just cause you see some savage incidents still happen in the AFL and I wonder how much worse it must have been when the biff was much less restrained and documented.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 6, 2018

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

snoremac posted:

On the subject of head injuries does Aussie footy have post-career trauma issues on the scale of American football? Just cause you see some savage incidents still happen in the AFL and I wonder how much worse it must have been when the biff was much less restrained and documented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZO7uUQXp08

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Robodog posted:

i like the big hits and the big goals

Personally I'm a fan of the biffs, the bumps, and the brawlers

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snoremac posted:

There hasn’t been as high profile coverage but it is basically guaranteed to be a really horrendous problem.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The existence of a "look of the game" committee populated by a bunch of myopic old white nostalgia diseased mouthpieces is the most dispiriting thing in the AFL since Michael Christian was given the keys to a pseudo-judicial role. Never have people so unqualified had so much potential to ruin the game. gently caress off with the insular cronyism.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
One of the ideas is to extend the goal square to 20m

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Spedman posted:

One of the ideas is to extend the goal square to 20m

The goal rectangle, hmm, yes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Goal square then extends out to encompass the hot spot, followed a year later by a rule that prevents defenders from staying inside the new 'protected zone' formed by the 'key shaped' rectangle, as yet another brain bleed from AFL house meant to reduce forward 50 congestion and increase speccy marks.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Goal square then extends out to encompass the hot spot, followed a year later by a rule that prevents defenders from staying inside the new 'protected zone' formed by the 'key shaped' rectangle, as yet another brain bleed from AFL house meant to reduce forward 50 congestion and increase speccy marks.

The AFL may as well pivot to being a Kronum league if they're going to go to all that trouble.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

monolithburger posted:

The AFL may as well pivot to being a Kronum league if they're going to go to all that trouble.

:wtc:

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
I didn't think Richardson would ever actually drop Billings even though it needed to happen, just hope he stays positive instead of being frustrated with it. Excited to see Battle finally play.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

I didn't think Richardson would ever actually drop Billings even though it needed to happen, just hope he stays positive instead of being frustrated with it. Excited to see Battle finally play.

Was just coming to post this. Took them long enough to drop Billings despite his clearly poo poo form. Hopefully he goes back to the VFL and finds form (or takes some time off and fixes whatever injury is making him play like poo poo).

Will be super interesting to see Battle, McCartin and Membrey play together.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

lol the comments are nothing but nostalgia for better times.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Francis is back in for Essendon, he’s been in the bests in the vfl for the last month or so, so he’s earned it. Hopefully Redman gets a go as well, he’s been really good in the vfl and will probably demand a trade if he doesn’t get games.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hopefuly this gets shot down, but conferences are being discussed again for the aflw... loving stupid idea.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/womens-afl/new-aflw-structure!683199

10 teams, split into conferences consisting of 5 teams each. 4 games played per weekend per conference with the 'spare' team playing eachother in a cross-conference match.

Meaning each team only plays 5 regular season games, down from 7 over the past two seasons, despite two new teams entering the competition in 2019 (and 4 more in 2020)

Shits hosed. Now that Channel 7 have the tennis and cricket this year, AFLW can't start earlier because of the tennis (which they lose to channel 9 in 2020) Hopefully channel 10 puts in a bid for the AFLW rights now that they have lost the WBBL. Then it can be played during the tennis.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 7, 2018

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
7 is way too few for a real season of football and now they want to reduce it lol

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

realbez posted:

7 is way too few for a real season of football and now they want to reduce it lol

It's almost like they don't really want it to happen at all

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They want to fit it within the restrictions channel 7 is providing with the australian open and then the AFL season.

If it was on channel 10, they could start at the end of Jan and play during the AO.

Hell, $30m for the ABC to bid on the rights would be handy... but no, that money had to go to Foxtel for...???? zero reason.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

It's almost like they don't really want it to happen at all

:eyepop:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm implying the majority of the decision makers in AFL house are lukewarm about the AFLW at best, and still carry a chip on their shoulder over being forced to launch the league at least a decade ahead of their schedule

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

I'm implying the majority of the decision makers in AFL house are lukewarm about the AFLW at best, and still carry a chip on their shoulder over being forced to launch the league at least a decade ahead of their schedule

:eyepop:

That’s what I took you to mean, and I didn’t mean to convey disagreement.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Because local ratings for the tennis are through the roof, especially after the first round when all the Aussie inevitably crash out. loving Ch7

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It should be played during winter during the regular season. Maybe during these boring middle weeks, I don’t know. It’s a winter sport, it shouldn’t be played in summer. The people who are going to watch it will watch it anyway, and those that aren’t interested during summer might watch them as curtain raisers. This isn’t the a league, it shouldn’t have to hamstring itself to avoid the afl and nrl. Just attach the aflw to the afl for god sake, let it ride on the coat tails. Get people interested that way, and give it a finals series after a real season.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
If there was a Hawthorn aflw team I would go and watch when I could. If they played their home games as curtain raisers for Hawthorn home games, I would 100% be there to see them play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

the afl have been trying to kill off the womens comp ever since adelaide had the temerity to win the inaugural premiership