Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Chairchucker posted:

Cheering for injuries makes you a terrible human being

If you couldn’t work that out from my post history then you must have the decrepit concussion ravaged brain of a real Selwood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I can't wait to see what happens if Lever goes down with an injury.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

What the gently caress dude? His sister died, and he wanted to get back to Victoria before that happened.

Given he wanted to come back before it happened that makes it pretty loving irrelevant to him wanting to leave.

He got massive money from the suns to go up there and help them start up their footy club as captain. Part of it was based on him being a player, and he fulfilled that part (apart from when he left queensland a total of 21 times in his last 4 seasons), but the captaincy was literally written into his contract. He hosed that massively. They had a garbage culture off field and he divided the group by using his captaincy to spread his old mans god botherer bullshit. He hosed them hard and anyone who honestly think that him and geelong deserve some great happy ending from it is an idiot.

This isn't a concussion that will have him dealing with mental health issues, it's not a degenerative condition that will leave him struggling with chronic pain, it's a soft tissue injury that affects his and geelongs season this year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

I can't wait to see what happens if Lever goes down with an injury.

our backline improves massively without us having to awkwardly drop our highest paid player

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Given he wanted to come back before it happened that makes it pretty loving irrelevant to him wanting to leave.

He got massive money from the suns to go up there and help them start up their footy club as captain. Part of it was based on him being a player, and he fulfilled that part (apart from when he left queensland a total of 21 times in his last 4 seasons), but the captaincy was literally written into his contract. He hosed that massively. They had a garbage culture off field and he divided the group by using his captaincy to spread his old mans god botherer bullshit. He hosed them hard and anyone who honestly think that him and geelong deserve some great happy ending from it is an idiot.

This isn't a concussion that will have him dealing with mental health issues, it's not a degenerative condition that will leave him struggling with chronic pain, it's a soft tissue injury that affects his and geelongs season this year.

Says that goon who barracks for a team that wasted draft picks for nearly a decade and probably mentally destroyed more players than what GAJ could ever do

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

Says that goon who barracks for a team that wasted draft picks for nearly a decade and probably mentally destroyed more players than what GAJ could ever do

i mean if we want to go down that route I'd say the enabling that geelong did of GAS is way worse than whatever passed for a football department at Melbourne for the last 10 years, it literally had fatalities

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

partly I'd like to one day take over damian barrets low effort high pay job, but part of me is sincerely sick of the endless blowjob the victorian media gives GAJ with no recognition of just how badly he captained the suns

that's realistically not something that makes him deserving of an injury, that's reserved for guys like tom bugg, or alex rance, real a grade loving irredeemable garbage men

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
What a hill to die on

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gaj and Geelong are bad and I dislike them enormously!

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if it’s a real injury or the kind he pretended to have all of last year so he could get paid to not play

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

hiddenmovement posted:

What a hill to die on

He aint really wrong though. He and his old man are cut from the same cloth.

It also means we wont have to play him next week so blluuuuurppp...pp.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

What the gently caress dude? His sister died, and he wanted to get back to Victoria before that happened.

I'm not gonna say something as stupid as "boo loving hoo crying god boy", but I'm not exactly pining for the "SON OF GOD COMES HOME, WINS FANTASY FLAG!" storyline to come true.

I mean she'd had serious health issues for years and it didn't stop him taking multiple millions to go join what we all assumed was a sure thing creating the next generation of superstars out on the Gold Coast; at the very least I distinctly remember a contract extension between him and the Gold Coast.
His sister's death probably put it in perspective for him and solidified a desire to get out of the gold coast, but you're pretty naive if you think it was all family (and given how you love to bring out the "BUT HIS SISTER!" card... I'd say you just about do).
Gold Coast sold him a vision of how they were gonna win flags with developed players behind him and strong role-players brought in to supplement him and none of that materialized. They were going to make it his club, something Geelong could never be. Part of that failure is probably down to him and what looks from the outside like his terrible leadership abilities. A bunch more has to do with the complete inability of the Gold Coast Suns to have a functioning medical staff, an inability for the suns to bring in genuine quality (they draft good but their trading and free agency... woof) and at best highly borderline coaching.

He absolutely deserves to get burned for his role at the Gold Coast (did they ever rename their B&F the Gary Ablett Medal?) but having said that I hope he has some success (as long as it's less than Hawthorn's success).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

He signed a 3 year, estimated $1mill a year average contract extension with Gold Coast at the end of 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
what the hell happened to this thread overnight

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Whoever is running the Ultimate Footy season, can you get rid of the can't cut list? I get the reasoning behind it, but I can't cut superstar midfielder Aaron Hall.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

realbez posted:

Gaj and Geelong are bad and I dislike them enormously!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Diet Crack posted:

Whoever is running the Ultimate Footy season, can you get rid of the can't cut list? I get the reasoning behind it, but I can't cut superstar midfielder Aaron Hall.

Successfully Updated League Settings.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I think there's a difference between not liking a player for what they do on the field and in a club setting and being able to feel sorry for them based on family tragedy

I don't think Gold Coast would have been upset to see the back of Ablett regardless of his reasons for leaving and his legacy there in a football sense was a bit of a disaster.

It's a shame about his sister's passing away though.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

McKenna has been accused of biting Tory Dickson

edit: https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/982871336472133634

Would have been during this incident

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Gablett has also been accused of biting...
The crank!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Greatest Defender of All Time fined for Breust hit.

Carn the ‘MOND!

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

richmond are currently 9th on the ladder

also demons sitting in the top 4!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Essendon 13th, which honestly is probably about where we’ll be at the end of the year too. Those media folk who were touting us at top 4-6 were mad. Knew it at the time, you can hype Stringer, Smith, and Saad all you like, and to be fair, Smith has started real well. But without those actual good inside mids, and a steady defence (I hear that Hooker guy is a decent defender) then it’s a giant wet fart of a year

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

Essendon 13th, which honestly is probably about where we’ll be at the end of the year too. Those media folk who were touting us at top 4-6 were mad. Knew it at the time, you can hype Stringer, Smith, and Saad all you like, and to be fair, Smith has started real well. But without those actual good inside mids, and a steady defence (I hear that Hooker guy is a decent defender) then it’s a giant wet fart of a year

Why the hell is Worsfold trying to turn Stringer into an inside mid? Being similarly built to Bontompelli doesnt make him a midfielder despite splitting some time there from the forward line.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

All three players charged with biting in the AFL era were captained or coached by John worsfold either at or prior to the time of the offence

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Why the hell is Worsfold trying to turn Stringer into an inside mid? Being similarly built to Bontompelli doesnt make him a midfielder despite splitting some time there from the forward line.

Honestly I don't think even they really believe it. I think its a case of "we know we absolutely don't have the right people for the job, so if we say we're trying something new and giving it a shot that might buy us some time to find someone next time/looks better than admitting we don't have the right team yet".

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

Honestly I don't think even they really believe it. I think its a case of "we know we absolutely don't have the right people for the job, so if we say we're trying something new and giving it a shot that might buy us some time to find someone next time/looks better than admitting we don't have the right team yet".

Perhaps they should have drafted someone who CAN play inside midfield instead of trading for someone who just plays inside mid-teens?

:smug:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Why is his sitter being brought into it? Like not even in a way that gets him off the hook, he wanted out way before that. His narrative was never pity me and my family it was “Ive got my money and I’m footy royalty now do what the gently caress I say to” and Gold Coast rightfully told him to gently caress off.

I have no pity for him at all. He knew what he was doing when he moved to GC and he knew what he was doing when he extended. Priorities change etc but he’s a big boy getting paid a fuckload of money. He doesn’t need white knighters defending his honour.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

loving lol

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Perhaps they should have drafted someone who CAN play inside midfield instead of trading for someone who just plays inside mid-teens?

n0ice

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cut5lVmJygk

:nms:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://i.imgur.com/stLJjAs.gifv

Which is funnier, this or Taranto last week? Riewoldt is always the winner since it was in a grand final and it was a monumental gently caress up by a champion player but which takes second place?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Testekill posted:

Which is funnier, this or Taranto last week? Riewoldt is always the winner since it was in a grand final and it was a monumental gently caress up by a champion player but which takes second place?

I think this one, game could really still have been won at this point

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Liam Ryan looks to be out injured for an extended period

Cancel the season

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Why doesn't the AFL ladder predictor go up until half way through the season?

Obviously it's way too hard to predict anything after 3 games (this season is all over the place already), but I want to play around with the hypothetical of the Dees continuing to win games before the bye.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Windmill Hut posted:

the hypothetical of the Dees continuing to win games

There’s hypotheticals and then there’s just plain loving fantasy m8

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I don't need a ladder predictor to simulate the Saints season. I can just add the remaining home and away games to the loss column of the win:loss.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Testekill posted:

Daniher is a sack of spuds that should never take shots at goal so passing it off was the right move imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Liam Ryan looks to be out injured for an extended period

12 weeks :stare: