Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/1021293728227516416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

NTRabbit posted:

Tom Hawkins punching a guy in the face, cleared because even though he did it he didn't mean to do it

Didn't want to put a damper on his birthday, he's only got 30kg on Fritsch and is usually a Good Bloke

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Do you guys really think Hawkins should have been suspended for that.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Shmoses posted:

Yeah, should have got a week or a fine or something.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The Hawkins Defender has logged on

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Gee I wonder if the AFLPA president is going to come out and question the consistency of the decision to clear Hawkins.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think Hawkins deserved a fine

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Mitch robinson is doing an AMA on reddit now, bit of a cheeky bugger but this from the swans fan hurts:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Shmoses posted:

Should have been cited at the very least.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

snaeksikn posted:

Should have been cited at the very least.

https://twitter.com/afl_pkeane/status/1021290333202550785?s=21

I can’t see much in the incident that contradicts that ruling

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Usually when you try to hit someone in the chest and accidentally hit them in the face you get suspended

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Shmoses posted:

https://twitter.com/afl_pkeane/status/1021290333202550785?s=21

I can’t see much in the incident that contradicts that ruling

I would call the motion a strike rather than a push, not disputing the open hand but he's kneeling over a prone opponent and swings his hand down in frustration clipping the opposition player in the jaw. He didn't accidentally hit Fritsch, he deliberately hit him when Fritsch couldn't do anything to defend himself.

So I wouldn't have rated the contact as incidental.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If you choose to bump and get someone high you get weeks, if you choose to strike, which is not a football action to begin with, and while play is stopped too, and get your target high you should get weeks.

Tom Hawkins has no loving plausibility in saying he didn’t intend to hit him because he’s an absolute oval office that has done it time and time again and will continue to do it time and time again because idiots, including the match review officer, defend his tantrums to the loving hilt.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think we're all missing the fact that Tom Hawkins is a good bloke

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Somehow this thread has seemed more Bigfooty-esque in the last couple weeks. I can't wait for this season to finally be over so we can go back to arguing about soft drinks again.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

cmndstab posted:

Somehow this thread has seemed more Bigfooty-esque in the last couple weeks. I can't wait for this season to finally be over so we can go back to arguing about soft drinks again.

Carbonated MFC supporter tears thank you very much.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Soft drinks are all bad, but let's talk about how Woolworths are dead to me since I can't get Nippy's Orange Juice there anymore.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

cmndstab posted:

in a way, aren’t we all flogs and/or campaigners?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Nutsngum posted:

Carbonated MFC supporter tears thank you very much.

Way too salty for me

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Way too salty for me

:eyepop:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cmndstab posted:

Honestly putting the MRP in the hands of one bloke who seems to make decisions with a dartboard is causing a lot of justified anger

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Honestly putting the MRP in the hands of one bloke who seems to make decisions with a dartboard is causing a lot of justified anger

One guy, three guys, five guys, the number isn't the issue, the problem is that like everything about the AFL it's based on picking an outcome advantageous to the corporation, and then working backwards through loosely constructed systems to create the appearance of a logical forwards pathway.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

One guy, three guys, five guys, the number isn't the issue, the problem is that like everything about the AFL it's based on picking an outcome advantageous to the corporation, and then working backwards through loosely constructed systems to create the appearance of a logical forwards pathway.

You sound stressed. Perhaps this program of being blindfolded in the desert might help relieve your woes?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

You sound stressed. Perhaps this program of being blindfolded in the desert might help relieve your woes?

:rolleyes:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"It is widely expected Hocking will recommend to the committee:

Starting positions be adopted at centre bounces and around-the-ground stoppages.
The goalsquare be expanded from nine to 18m.
The cap on rotations be reduced from its current limit of 90.
Under the starting positions proposal, at centre bounces six players from each team would be positioned in the three main areas of the ground – the defensive 50m arc, the midfield and the forward 50m arc.

At stoppages, the AFL will stipulate how many players from each side have to start in each 50m arc. It's understood the League is yet to settle on its preferred model, with two, three or four players all options being considered.

Hocking said last Tuesday he was not convinced rotations had to be cut to 40, with some clubs of the belief 60 or 70 might be the new limit."

Running athletes instead of footballers etc etc

I can already see the delays in countbacks on which 6, and if there were indeed 6, players were in which 3rd of the ground at every stoppage.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Surely the first thing a contested ball team is going to do at a centre bounce is hit the ball at the ruckmens feet, cause a secondary stoppage, and then they can bring in more mids, backs, etc

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

snaeksikn posted:

I would call the motion a strike rather than a push, not disputing the open hand but he's kneeling over a prone opponent and swings his hand down in frustration clipping the opposition player in the jaw. He didn't accidentally hit Fritsch, he deliberately hit him when Fritsch couldn't do anything to defend himself.

So I wouldn't have rated the contact as incidental.

He didn’t hurt Fritsch though, there was nothing in it at all. The MRO made a correct call in this instance. Hawkins being suspended for that action would have been a joke

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I view this debate about the state of the game and the subsequent rule changes as a footy version of Brexit. A bunch of old guys are getting wistful for a time period that’s simply never coming back so they’re trying to legislate to try and force through a return to ‘the old days’ without a clear picture of the consequences.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Also I find it truly remarkable how many people can simultaneously hold the view that footy’s the best sport in the world and that it’s completely hosed

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Shmoses posted:

He didn’t hurt Fritsch though, there was nothing in it at all. The MRO made a correct call in this instance. Hawkins being suspended for that action would have been a joke

Maybe if Hawkins doesn’t want to be suspended he should stop loving hitting people out of play? Maybe it’s actually his fault for being such a stupid loving oval office?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

What. I get that it's to enable the kick-outs to reach further out of the D50 but if they seriously think this will help then the AFL is doomed.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

"It is widely expected Hocking will recommend to the committee:

Starting positions be adopted at centre bounces and around-the-ground stoppages.
The cap on rotations be reduced from its current limit of 90.
Under the starting positions proposal, at centre bounces six players from each team would be positioned in the three main areas of the ground – the defensive 50m arc, the midfield and the forward 50m arc.

At stoppages, the AFL will stipulate how many players from each side have to start in each 50m arc. It's understood the League is yet to settle on its preferred model, with two, three or four players all options being considered.

Hocking said last Tuesday he was not convinced rotations had to be cut to 40, with some clubs of the belief 60 or 70 might be the new limit."

Running athletes instead of footballers etc etc

I can already see the delays in countbacks on which 6, and if there were indeed 6, players were in which 3rd of the ground at every stoppage.

Why not try this poo poo out in the preseason for a few years before bringing it in

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Why not try this poo poo out in the preseason for a few years before bringing it in

They've been trialling it at different clubs training sessions for most of the last two years. Don't want anything getting in the way of AFL-W AFLX.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Lol watch them force this bullshit on the womens game, nothing but guinea pigs amirite

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

Lol watch them force this bullshit on the womens game, nothing but guinea pigs amirite

Given the stupidity of the AFL top brass it seems likely that they would think AFLW would be an appropriate testing ground for these rules as the results would clearly be translatable to the AFL mens competition.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Shmoses posted:

Also I find it truly remarkable how many people can simultaneously hold the view that footy’s the best sport in the world and that it’s completely hosed

I couldn't agree more.

Edit: Also I hate the AFL taking over all of footy. None of the "problems" that they're trying to combat exist in lower levels footy. We've just got a bad comp at the moment, which is probably due to the sheer amount of injuries this year.

spamman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 24, 2018

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I dont understand why this is happening now though, congested stoppage ball was worse in 2015. Back then even I was thinking that maybe mild zones were a good idea.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Maybe if Hawkins doesn’t want to be suspended he should stop loving hitting people out of play? Maybe it’s actually his fault for being such a stupid loving oval office?

Dude, cut out the gendered slurs. You're better than that.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

lmao he didn’t get suspended for this one you loving dunce. The only people I’ve seen crying that he should have been suspended are a couple of posters in here and the odd Melbourne fan on Twitter. You deserve Melbourne I swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my precious son tom hawkins did nothing wrong when he punched that man on the ground