Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I think Richmond’s non-dominance was exposed in every loss this year when teams (Adel, Port, GWS, Coll, WC) shot ahead early by 30+ points and revealed they have no fallback plan if their defensive structure is broken through. Great strategy but poor tactical response. Carlton broke through it too but it was Carlton so they still lost.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snoremac posted:

I think Richmond’s non-dominance was exposed in every loss this year when teams (Adel, Port, GWS, Coll, WC) shot ahead early by 30+ points and revealed they have no fallback plan if their defensive structure is broken through. Great strategy but poor tactical response. Carlton broke through it too but it was Carlton so they still lost.

Good system, terrible coaching?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

snoremac posted:

Hell Richmond nearly got rolled by the Bulldogs in round 23 and were let off by us hitting the post three times in the final quarter.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snaeksikn posted:

This year the demons had 2 AA selections, 2 players in the top 5 Brownlow voting, finished 5th and won 2 finals. Despite the poo poo show that was the prelim performance I think every demons fan would have taken that at the beginning of the season.

Additionally, the prelim will hopefully keep a fire under the list over the preseason as Melbourne won't get as easy a draw next season as well.

It’s definitely overall a success for the year, but still disappointing because the potential was clearly there to win a flag and they utterly hosed it at the second last hurdle

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Dean Kent wants to be traded to St Kilda ($$$ and length of contract).

When he can stay on the park he is a damaging (quick and kicks goals) midfielder/fwd. Unfortunately his injury history means we'll probably get a poo poo pick for him, and St Kilda could wind up with a bargain.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Over the last two years the MCC has given full membership (required for grand final access) to 5 months worth of waiting list nominations. I’m still another 40 months away which at this rate means 16+ years. So maybe I’ll be a member in time to see Charlie Spargo play in a grand final in the twilight of his career. :negative:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I just got provisional MCC membership, who the gently caress knows if I'll ever be a full member

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Look at this old boys club just trundling into this thread complaining about their MCC membership :wotwot:

Quiet day down at the Melbourne Club, lads?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

It was the topic of conversation at University House

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Why would you join a cricket club expecting to watch football?

Idiot buffoons.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/MattNotFront/status/1044528281951731714

Freo confirmed 2018 premiers.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Windmill Hut posted:

Dean Kent wants to be traded to St Kilda ($$$ and length of contract).

When he can stay on the park he is a damaging (quick and kicks goals) midfielder/fwd. Unfortunately his injury history means we'll probably get a poo poo pick for him, and St Kilda could wind up with a bargain.

Im gonna forgo the "Kent" jokes and just ask any Melbourne supporters what they think of him as I have almost no knowledge of who he is at all.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Im gonna forgo the "Kent" jokes and just ask any Melbourne supporters what they think of him as I have almost no knowledge of who he is at all.

Windmill basically summed it up, he’s a really handy player when he can stay fit but has had a lot of hamstring issues

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Isn't that Storm and Collingwood?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Finally getting the MCC membership the same year the MCG grand final contract runs out and Dubbo has successfully bid to host it.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Solemn Sloth posted:

Windmill basically summed it up, he’s a really handy player when he can stay fit but has had a lot of hamstring issues

If there's anything St Kilda knows, it's getting the best out of second hand players with hamstring issues

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s definitely overall a success for the year, but still disappointing because the potential was clearly there to win a flag and they utterly hosed it at the second last hurdle

It usually takes losing one to win one.. Unless you're the Saints in which case you draw it then lose it. Melbourne have had an extraordinary turn around (finally) so I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in the tail end of the finals next year.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Adelaide signed their first international AFLW player, an Irish woman named Ailish Considine from the Clare Women's Gaelic FC who likes to play sports and seems thrilled it's actually possible for her to sign a semi-pro contract in a sport that isn't soccer. She was part of an 18 woman "crosscoders" contingent invited out to the AFLW combine from Ireland and the UK, didn't have a contract and was hopeful and open to anywhere in a podcast interview on Tuesday, signed a contract today.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 27, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes a few of them will be signed up by tommorow afternoon (final list lodgement for the aflw) probably 3-5 all up andsome others might get a callback next year.

The 18 of them came out to watch the vflw and vfl grand finals at docklands and have been doing combine testing this week as well as a practice match against vflw players (not sure who) which they won.

Mostly Irish but there are a few Americans and Brits as well as a French and Fijian.

I think only 4 clubs were represented at one of the combine events given a few clubs have already signed their cat b rookies.

Most have never played afl and only got their hands on a sheerin a week or two ago when they were contacted to come out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ah, the podcast I listened to with her interview was followed by a Welsh woman, so I figured it was all from up there. Considine played a season of AFL 7s in Ireland between the last two seasons of Gaelic for a lark, so it's not entirely new to her, probably why we picked her up fast.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/api/v1...2d91bea02828359

Shock horror, old man is sexist.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah thats pretty poo poo thing to say infront of kids Mick.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Seriously good on Mo Hope for actually making it clear at the time that she disagrees with that bullshit

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Love that one comment on the article :v:

"free speech"

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
We gotta implement a Logans Run type deal

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

Yes a few of them will be signed up by tommorow afternoon (final list lodgement for the aflw) probably 3-5 all up andsome others might get a callback next year.

The 18 of them came out to watch the vflw and vfl grand finals at docklands and have been doing combine testing this week as well as a practice match against vflw players (not sure who) which they won.

Mostly Irish but there are a few Americans and Brits as well as a French and Fijian.

I think only 4 clubs were represented at one of the combine events given a few clubs have already signed their cat b rookies.

Most have never played afl and only got their hands on a sheerin a week or two ago when they were contacted to come out.

The USAFL Facebook page was pointing out two women from Seattle’s club, so I don’t think it’s the first time with a footy for all the women invited. I’m sure there’s a bunch of Gaelic football girls involved too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes, but they're still new to the sport. Plus gaelic is a roundball and non-contact. So they have to get used to both of those things, although the gaelic footy women would be better suited to AFL due to it being a 360 game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-19/aflw-crosscoders-out-to-win-rookie-contract

quote:

Canada

Nicola Kirwan, 30 years old, Etobicoke Kangaroos (Australian Football) and Northern Lights (national Australian Football team)

Fiji

Matelita Tuilevuka, 24, AFL Fiji

France

Coline Duquet, 25, Darebin Falcons, Paris Cockerelles and European Crusaders

Ireland:

Muireann Atkinson, 21, O'Neill Shamrocks Gaelic Football
Ailish Considine, 26, Clare Gaelic Football and AFL Ireland West Clare Waves
Mairead Coyne, 29, Ireland's national rugby union and handball teams
Aisling Curley, 24, Moorefield GAA club and Kildare Gaelic Football Association
Eimear Gallagher, 18, Red Hughs Gaelic Football
Amanda Maginn, 26, St Kilda Sharks and the Irish Banshees (national Australian Football team)
Aisling McCarthy, 22, Tipperary Gaelic Football
Yvonne McMonagle, 31, Donegal Gaelic Football
Mary Ryan, 30, Tipperary camogie (hurling)
Aishling Sheridan, 22, Cavan Gaelic Football
Fiadhna Tangney, 17, Kerry Gaelic Football

UK

Frankie Hocking (England), 29, Newton Breakaways (Sydney) and Great Britain Swans (national Australian Football team)
Nia Jones (Wales), 25, Welsh national netball and soccer teams

USA

Amelia Kahr, 26, Seattle Grizzlies and gridiron
April Lewis, 28, Seattle Grizzlies and athletics

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Cross another off the list. Yvonne Bonner signs with GWS.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-09-27/rookies-ready-to-rock?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=vanity&utm_campaign=Rookies2609

quote:

Gaelic Football star Yvonne Bonner and former GIANTS Netballer Taylah Davies have joined the GIANTS as rookie signings for the 2019 AFL Women’s season.

Bonner, from Donegal in Northwest Ireland, is set to follow in the footsteps of Cora Staunton by becoming the second Irishwoman to sign for the GIANTS AFLW team.

The 31-year-old, who has been nominated for her second All-Star award, is hoping to have the same impact as Staunton, who lit up the competition with her attacking flair and unique kicking style in 2018.

Meanwhile, Davies has swapped the orange dress of GIANTS Netball for the orange and charcoal guernsey of AFLW.

The 23-year-old from Wollongong becomes the second GIANT to swap Netball for AFLW, with Elle Bennetts making a successful transition in 2018, playing every game and winning the club’s Rising Star award.

Having played mostly wing attack and centre during her netball career, Davies has opted to try a new sport after representing both the Swifts and GIANTS in the national competition.

“Alan asked if I wanted to give AFLW a go, which was something I never really thought about,” Davies said.

“Learning to kick is very different to netball which was just your hands for catching and throwing.

“I don’t really use my feet so kicking is very different, but I’m really determined.”

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Seriously good on Mo Hope for actually making it clear at the time that she disagrees with that bullshit

Um, no, excuse me, did you not read the comments on the article? Mo was clearly a coward who ran away and had to take it to twitter instead of MANNING up and confronting him!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've always wondered how many netballers really wanted to play football, given that even as recently as this decade, in many places in Australia football (or League up north) was the boys sport and netball was the girls sports (and soccer the ethnic boys sport) and your only other option was to play nothing.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

I've always wondered how many netballers really wanted to play football, given that even as recently as this decade, in many places in Australia football (or League up north) was the boys sport and netball was the girls sports (and soccer the ethnic boys sport) and your only other option was to play nothing.

Even as recently as today in a bunch of places

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah I mean a lot of clubs are football/netball clubs.

There is a women's league up this way with 4 of the 7 teams from O&M clubs, another from a district club and a couple that seem like standalone from the names. So some clubs support it, others are like... wha...

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?assoc=11359

At least it's happening.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Don't really understand how any sport can be a "man's game." It's sports. I used to respect Malthouse but now he's clearly loving senile.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

Don't really understand how any sport can be a "man's game." It's sports. I used to respect Malthouse but now he's clearly loving senile.

Getting shuffled out of Collingwood broke his brain, he's been nursing a bruised ego ever since.

I was told recently that he was brought in as a guest lecturer at journalism course at La Trobe (I think), and just spent his first lecture ranting about how much he hates journalists, resulting in large numbers of students just walking out

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Imagine if the eagles lose and you come into work on Monday as the person who decided to formally charge Liam Ryan for a DUI the day before the grand final lol

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
No no guys you’ve got it all wrong. Mick isn’t against women playing football. He’s just against women bumping and going to ground and thinks the ball should be smaller than it already is. Our girls are getting hurt trying to pretend to be men! And by the way the 18m goal square and the 666 rule make the game look like that other game where they wear skirts but that’s just an observation lol. You’re all overreacting and very unprofessional.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I’ve wondered if it would be tenable to have 11-women 11-men AFL teams. The only (possibly) non-sexist argument against it I can think of is that the physical difference would lead to a lot of injuries for women. But then maybe I’m being sexist in assuming that.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I don't believe it's realistic to expect that mixed professional AFL will ever be possible, I dont believe the level of athletic demands in place in the men's game are achievable for women to be able to meet. Then on top of that you have other factors such as history and pathways for athletes to consider.

I would compare it to tennis, where the women's competition has a 40 year head start on AFLW as a professional level so there is a history of development and athletic pathways for elite female talent, but there's still a noticeable disparity between the men's game and the women's game athletically speaking. The women's game doesn't have anyone throwing down 260kph serves for one, and it results in a different product between the two.

I think there is a huge desire for a proper women's comp but a lot of the criticism generally lands in three places, which is a) it's a waste of money (grass roots numbers show that's false, and the AFL is skimping on funding wherever possible), b) women shouldn't be playing contact sports because misogyny, c) women shouldn't get their own league, they should have to play in the established men's league instead (which makes the pathway for elite female talent essentially impossible). All 3 arguments all land on the same conclusion, which is that the women's league shouldn't exist.

I think at a high level a dedicated fully professional women's league is clearly the answer, the grass roots desire is there, AFL has always had one of the highest female attendance/fan split so it makes sense plenty of women want to play the game they love as well. I think a lot of people think that because the game isn't at an AFL level immediately it's a waste of time, ignoring the 150 year head start the men have had. The quality of the game overall will get better, the clubs clearly want to be involved but they have to balance expansion teams and dilution of top end talent against the surge in young talent coming available, an AFL who is disinterested at best and willing to sabotage at worst, and pay issues to make things practical for a national league.

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 28, 2018

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I think another point is that guys like Malthouse and Aker who think because they're experts in AFL it means they're experts in AFLW, which simply isn't the case because it's a different product in a completely different phase of development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

I’ve wondered if it would be tenable to have 11-women 11-men AFL teams. The only (possibly) non-sexist argument against it I can think of is that the physical difference would lead to a lot of injuries for women. But then maybe I’m being sexist in assuming that.

How can you possibly think that is a sexist thing to say? It is a fact of life that women aren't as fast or strong as men, especially at the level of elite sportspeople. A mixed aussie rules game is possible (and exists as 9s I think), but obviously it would have to involve a lot less contact because the playing field isn't level. I don't think it'd be interesting as a spectator sport though because the contact aspect is such an integral part of the game.

That isn't what Mick was talking about, though. It IS sexist to say that women shouldn't be allowed to play with the same level of contact because they might get hurt. They can decide for themselves whether or not they want to play a contact sport - and clearly they do because so many women are getting involved now that it is becoming more available.