Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Spedman posted:

Wowee, pop fox footy on to see the the last bit of the trade period, and BAM, some no name talking head making GBS threads on Freo saying we’ve destroyed our reputation at the trade table, and that walking away from the trade table for Hogan on Friday was just pathetic posturing.

And then talking about how good of a tough trader Dodoro is :rolleyes:

The media are garbage idiots, but

I tend to believe that relationships between clubs over time are important, and I reckon freo have acted like dickheads in two subsequent trade periods(although admittedly the actual people are different this time than last).

Dodoro is next level though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

I'm hoping there's still more picks only movement to come, because otherwise Adelaide has majorly hosed up this trade period.

At the very least they still have picks 8, 13, 16 and 21 in the draft. That can't be a bad thing.

Would you be happy if they gave 8, 13 and 16 for the Saints 4 and 36?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

I tend to believe that relationships between clubs over time are important, and I reckon freo have acted like dickheads in two subsequent trade periods(although admittedly the actual people are different this time than last).

It’s really hard to tell what behaviour is unreasonable, and what is just footy media beat up. Freo obviously have a long history of being taken to the cleaners at the trade trable, and as a supporter I’m okay with them using what ever leverage they’ve got to get the best deals for the club. It remains to be seen if that bites us on the arse in the future, the only way to tell will be for trades where Freo has the weaker hand do not get it done or appear lob sided against Freo. Hopefully not.

As for Dodoro, the CEO of GWS openly said in an interview he wanted to make the Bombers sweat after the Sculley and Lobb deals went through as they had the cap space they required.

The CEO of the Bombers lives on my street and I walked past him tonight while he was getting pizzas, had to resist asking if Shiel was going to make to the club.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I present you all with the first round pick no-one wanted:

quote:

6. Gold Coast (received from Melbourne for Steven May and Kade Kolodjashnij; received from Fremantle as part of Jesse Hogan trade; received from Brisbane as part of Lachie Neale trade; received Port Adelaide as part of Sam Mayes trade; originally received from Fremantle in a pick swap)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Periphery posted:

At the very least they still have picks 8, 13, 16 and 21 in the draft. That can't be a bad thing.

Would you be happy if they gave 8, 13 and 16 for the Saints 4 and 36?

No.

Also the problem is that the club went early and accepted unders for McGovern, promising that it was part of a bigger picture and to keep faith, and then the rest of the week ended in a wet fart as they sat still and did nothing but provide a target for Port to aim at - they now have a pick directly in front of every one of ours, so can trump us both on draft night and in upgrade negotiations - while other clubs with wantaways held out, and got better returns. They either had no strategy, or were too gormless to execute it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

No.

Also the problem is that the club went early and accepted unders for McGovern, promising that it was part of a bigger picture and to keep faith, and then the rest of the week ended in a wet fart as they sat still and did nothing but provide a target for Port to aim at - they now have a pick directly in front of every one of ours, so can trump us both on draft night and in upgrade negotiations - while other clubs with wantaways held out, and got better returns. They either had no strategy, or were too gormless to execute it.

I don't think anyone wanted Mitch McGovern as badly as Hawthorn wanted Wingard, Freo wanted Hogan or Essendon wanted Shiel.
Having said that in the AFL there's absolutely no reason not to stick to your guns and insist that a player see out the remainder of their contract with you. Worst case scenario they leave you as a FA and you get a compo pick, it's not like you're running the legitimate threat of getting absolutely nothing like in the NHL/NFL/MLB/NBA.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Considering he was only 23 and still had two years of his contract remaining, there was every chance that his price next season could have gone up rather than down, off the back of a clean injury run and further displays of his prodigious talent.

We ballsed it up.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Spedman posted:

jfc, Peter Bell giving a press conference on Trade Radio, then Barrett just cuts it off to give some update about nothing. Are these blokes still salty about not knowing about the Lyon poach?

Wait what is this about?

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress too dodoro

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shmoses posted:

Wait what is this about?

It was just weird more than anything, Bell was doing his press conference answering journo's questions, and Barrett who was in the studio just comes in over the top and cuts to something else mid-question. It obviously didn't effect the press conference as they were just taking the feed, but it came off really strange as you would have figured people would want to hear what Bell has to say given the trade week Freo have had.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Spedman posted:

It was just weird more than anything, Bell was doing his press conference answering journo's questions, and Barrett who was in the studio just comes in over the top and cuts to something else mid-question. It obviously didn't effect the press conference as they were just taking the feed, but it came off really strange as you would have figured people would want to hear what Bell has to say given the trade week Freo have had.

Was it not more relevant trade news or something?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shmoses posted:

Was it not more relevant trade news or something?

At that point there weren’t any new trades or anything of note happening

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

He’s far from the worst, and really a list manager that is easy to deal with is one that isn’t doing their job properly. Certainly this trade period I have zero confidence in the narrative put forward by the hacks in the media about it going down to the wire, two first round picks were always on the table and it was just a matter of thrashing out the exchange of later picks.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Saints signed a 211cm basketballer today. Unlike the others of this type picked up recently this 21 year old is an Australian who has only spent 3 years in the US and played a bit of rugby and footy (I think).

At the very least he wont be worse than Hickey.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

Saints signed a 211cm basketballer today. Unlike the others of this type picked up recently this 21 year old is an Australian who has only spent 3 years in the US and played a bit of rugby and footy (I think).

At the very least he wont be worse than Hickey.

Apparently played footy in juniors.. which puts him a lightyear ahead of any other CatB rookie just about. Could be a really good pickup honestly.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Our new basketballer cat b rookie also played footy in juniors, won a league B&F... when he was 13. But also played during high school so he at least has the skills down.

Matt Owies.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

We literally told Shaun Smith’s kid to go play basketball for three years so we could have him as a cat B instead of having to draft him as a father/son

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/freodockers/status/1052846982149025793?s=21

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

drunkill posted:

Our new basketballer cat b rookie also played footy in juniors, won a league B&F... when he was 13. But also played during high school so he at least has the skills down.

Matt Owies.

Well gently caress never mind then.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Gonna miss LeCras - that 12 goal haul against Essendon was the tits.

e: I'm glad he got his medallion in the end - I was gutted when he missed out on 2006.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 18, 2018

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I guess he could see the writing on the wall with Ryan and Rioli coming in the side, and figured it wasn’t a bad time to pull the plug after the flag

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

He's also 32, which is about right for most retirements. I'm sure if he started a show about fishing in WA, people would watch it - but he's more of a reserved guy privately.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Diet Crack posted:

Gonna miss LeCras - that 12 goal haul against Essendon was the tits.

e: I'm glad he got his medallion in the end - I was gutted when he missed out on 2006.

I will always love LeCras for being one of our few shining lights during that garbage period of 2008-10.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Agreed. Happy he has gone out on a high note

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It’s a bit loving rich of Tim Kelly’s family to come out and criticise Geelong given he could be back in Perth already if he didn’t just want to chase perceived easy success with West Coast.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Especially with West Coast historically being one of the most conservative teams when it comes to trading, it was never going to be an easy deal to get done

Also the eagles are looking at picking up Zac Clarke to boost their ruck stocks, he was always one of those guys that carved up the WAFL but could never get it to click at AFL level

Spedman fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 22, 2018

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Apparently Tim doesn't get along well with some of the Freo boys, which is beginning to reflect well on Freo tbh

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s a bit loving rich of Tim Kelly’s family to come out and criticise Geelong given he could be back in Perth already if he didn’t just want to chase perceived easy success with West Coast.

I don’t think we should criticise a guy for not wanting to go to Freo. Apparently Lachie Neale was scathing in his exit interview and told Ross there’s at least 10 blokes there who are straight up taking the piss.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Mumford trying out his best scarface impression, snorting a pile of coke on video which is now out in public.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

Mumford trying out his best scarface impression, snorting a pile of coke on video which is now out in public.

To be fair that’s probably the body mass equivalent of a line for most people

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shmoses posted:

I don’t think we should criticise a guy for not wanting to go to Freo. Apparently Lachie Neale was scathing in his exit interview and told Ross there’s at least 10 blokes there who are straight up taking the piss.

There's been word out of Freo this year that theres a number of young/new guys taking the piss with regards to preparation/training, and while we're rebuilding they know they're getting a game regardless. Apparently Fyfe and a few of the older guys are not happy about it, obviously Neale having been one of them as was always a hard trainer and prepared well.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
AFLW draft on now

Livestream
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/1054533939119849472?s=19

https://twitter.com/katieloynes/status/1054523765269254149?s=19

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

There's been word out of Freo this year that theres a number of young/new guys taking the piss with regards to preparation/training, and while we're rebuilding they know they're getting a game regardless. Apparently Fyfe and a few of the older guys are not happy about it, obviously Neale having been one of them as was always a hard trainer and prepared well.

Guess Hogan just wanted to go to Freo since he lost his ciggy bud when Gawn gave it up

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chloe Scheer finally got her chance, she was the standout U18 player last year but ruptured her ACL in the final game of the championships. We drafted a girl called Turbo, can't wait to see her playing midfield alongside Eloise 'the human cannonball' Jones.

We also drafted Michael Long's niece and Cyril's cousin, hopefully she's cut from the same talent cloth

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 23, 2018

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

drunkill posted:

:stare: That was quite a lot of coke

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
God I hate that Daniel Hartford is the Blues W coach

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I don't know too much about him, other than hes a radio host now for the bloody horse racing station, and seems to just retweet horse racing stuff.

Ex-Crows AFLW coach Bec Goddard is also now coach of the Canberra WNBL team the Capitals.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Jack Watts seems like a pretty classy dude

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Rack Watts.

Couldn't care less about the sex worker stuff, no issue with it, but the cocaine thing is both poo poo and completely unsurprising given half the league is on the gear

Also the XXX dildo show he ordered to relax was a couple hours after the Jenkins poster goal showdown :lol:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Rack Watts.

Couldn't care less about the sex worker stuff, no issue with it, but the cocaine thing is both poo poo and completely unsurprising given half the league is on the gear

Also the XXX dildo show he ordered to relax was a couple hours after the Jenkins poster goal showdown :lol:

Just gonna quote this for the next time anyway says that the Eagles 06 win was tainted cos of drugs