Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Good loving god you give it to two separate players for having lovely tattoos and don’t even mention Jake Stringer’s lion-belly? Shameful.

[Edit] I do now finally appreciate the Falconry tag though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

snaeksikn posted:

I only had room for one nickname per player and I felt the schoolgirl diddling out ranked his amazing tattoo

This is fair.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

Toby 'Ironbar' Greene

I am holidaying in the states and part of my motivation was to escape the summer heat

5 degrees in Portland right now, feels pretty good. BTW it's somehow even more hipster than I expected but it's pretty wonderful and actually has way less homeless people than other major cities.

That’s funny, I keep hearing from family and friends back home there that there’s a massive homeless problem and it just keeps getting worse. Enjoy Portland though :)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

International Watch AFL app is conveniently making GBS threads the bed. Sigh.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BT is in mid-season form already isn't he :smithicide:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hodge rushing one behind, it’s already started

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spedman posted:

This was my impression of professional US sports too, just physically train until you don’t know how to gently caress up.

None of this psycho-babble garbage loved by MBAs and over paid consultants.

obviously depends on the sport but usually it is just training, practice of plays/sets, and small-scale team bonding. I'm pretty sure the NFL fall camps aren't as brutal as they once were as well thanks to changes in the labor agreements between player's association and league, used to be a lot more training time and contact but that's much more limited. Ditto for university football.

sounds like this stuff in pre-season was an extension of the "team building" idea, but taken to a farcical extreme. I would think the AFL Player's Association would have more to say on this than we've heard...[edit] okay so it's still kind of a developing situation, meaning they can't get upset at this quite yet.

and from the way he's defensive you'd imagine it's all Tex's idea too :v:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 27, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Doubled up by Norf. loving hell :psyboom:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m tipping 1/8 so far this week :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sounds like half of the Crows season ticket holders are at the Etihad for this based on the response to that score review.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Such poo poo kicking again, never change Saints

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

The citation also says he pinned his arms:

It's in the back for sure, but nothing more than a free kick.

yeah, and if arms got 'pinned' it's surely by the ground. NicNat's just guilty of a hard in the back.

also I still have a ways to go in learning the game but I'm with any other Saints supporter who just wants to play the kids and get games into the younger players this year. don't have much to lose, to be honest.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I no nobody else is watching the Shanghai game but a Port player just kicked a goal lying on their back

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

boy undead posted:

I bet we'll fluke a win against a good team in a manner convincing enough to leave everyone scratching their heads.

Something like last year’s pasting of the Tigers just out of nowhere.

Watch it be West Coast in Perth for maximum WTF.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

are the Giants sneaky not great this year or have Essendon figured something out?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

that Saints comeback was something else. It's good to see them put the intensity and ball usage together, but also get the feeling "well why can't they do that for all four quarters of the game?" Ah well. I'll take the improvements as they come.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Saints fans aren’t even the worst at being mental :sigh:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That was a hell of a goal by the Doggies

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s going to be a bullshit free to Selwood after the siren isn’t it

Close!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ssmagus posted:

13 disqualifying fouls, 4 Australian. Sobey, Golding, Maker, Kickert. 9 Philippines. Romeo, Cruz, Castro, Abueva, Blatche, Pogoy, Rosario, Aguilar, Wright. 1 chair thrown, about 3 flying kicks, a whole team beatdown, alot of head punches. The streamable is up a few posts, so watch that.

One of these things is not like the other.

I’m also 1,000 percent sure this will be discussed on High Noon (9 am Pacific) after their vacation week, because Pablo Torre was all over it on Twitter.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Largepotato posted:

Sounds like the injury wheel is turning.

It just ran over the Saints :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sounds like former Hawthorn player Brian Lake has found himself in trouble after playing at a tournament in Osaka, Japan last weekend. My club didn’t wind up going, so we only have scuttlebutt to go on so far, but it sounds like something happened in the small hours of the night.

Edit: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/09/former-afl-star-brian-lake-arrest-japan-Some basic details confirmed

harperdc fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 9, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What I’m hearing is he (tried to?) punch a cop, so most likely the Embassy will get him out early onto a flight or the 23 days will pass and he’ll be making his way out of the country.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

teacup posted:

I don’t like Adelaide but that’s good news. I’m really torn on player loyalty poo poo. One one hand you don’t want it to be like the USA where players have no affiliation with clubs and move all the time, but on the other hand it’s a job- people should be able to make decisions for their career.

There are plenty of one-club/team players in American sports, even with free agency.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ump in the Dogs-Saints match just took a spoil straight in the nose :bird:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

teacup posted:

Gaff shouldn’t have been let back on. I’m really not up on the whole “red card” debate, how many sports don’t have some ability to immediately kick a player off for something like that?

All of the major American sports can (ejections in baseball and American armor ball, two technical fouls/particularly egregious flagrant fouls in basketball, I think also in ice hockey, and red cards in soccer).

Pro basketball hasn’t had anything nearly that bad in a dozen years or so (the Malice at the Palace) but through the 1980s fights and brawls happened somewhat often. Think your average jumper punch handbags, even that has been stamped out (which meant the Philippine vs Australia brawl recently brought out some “back in my day”-ism in the US sports scene).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yep. Absurdly late hip and shoulder.

Handbags!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Freeezaaaahhh

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

at least Richmond-Collingwood can't be the Grand Final.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Good. This is good.

Hope they lose next week, but won't be devastated if they win because I'm OK with nice things happening to Trav Varcoe, Mason Cox and Jeremy Howe.

not sure who I'll be pulling for next week but if :911: Cox :911: has another strong performance I'll be leading U-S-A! U-S-A! :911: chants and singing "Real American" at the top of my lungs :911:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

Yes a few of them will be signed up by tommorow afternoon (final list lodgement for the aflw) probably 3-5 all up andsome others might get a callback next year.

The 18 of them came out to watch the vflw and vfl grand finals at docklands and have been doing combine testing this week as well as a practice match against vflw players (not sure who) which they won.

Mostly Irish but there are a few Americans and Brits as well as a French and Fijian.

I think only 4 clubs were represented at one of the combine events given a few clubs have already signed their cat b rookies.

Most have never played afl and only got their hands on a sheerin a week or two ago when they were contacted to come out.

The USAFL Facebook page was pointing out two women from Seattle’s club, so I don’t think it’s the first time with a footy for all the women invited. I’m sure there’s a bunch of Gaelic football girls involved too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What a final.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Was a bit worried it would be another crappy match after the first quarter, but West Coast clawed back in and absolutely deserved to be close and in the lead.

Bit of a flat Finals series this year but absolutely saved by a scorching Grand Final. I’m glad Cox got to play a big part, but not too unhappy that the Pies lost.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

can't abide the Swans song simply because it uses Notre Dame's fight song as the base, which should automatically rule it out from any discussion of best.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Saints pick up Dean Kent for 65, and Hannebery and 28 for 39 and a future second.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Periphery posted:

Here's a good article on the NFL and how trading picks and how teams will trade up the draft for a single high pick even though the data says it's actually better to trade down the and diversify your risk (talent evaluation and development is flawed). While I'm not sure how well it translates to AFL, it's particularly relevant given the current trade period (nobody send this to port or the Crows. Thanks).

https://www.vox.com/2014/5/7/5683448/how-nfl-teams-ignore-basic-economics-and-draft-players-irrationally

Yeah, and only one team really did that trading down and gathering picks well for the last 15-20 years, and that's New England but gently caress the Patriots sideways.

building a roster is somewhat similar comparing the AFL to the NFL (because they have 50-plus member rosters, and college American football is probably a similar level to VFL/SANFL/WAFL/etc by now) but there's one big difference, and that's NFL contracts are worth approximately tissue paper. They can and are often ripped up regularly, players get cut by teams mid-season (it's allowed) and the players have zero power. That's why this year's stories about Seattle's Earl Thomas and Pittsburgh's LeVeon Bell is absolutely unique -- the only position that GMs/owners regularly cave to the demands of is the star quarterback.

Rosters for the NBA are smaller but AFL contracts are much more similar to NBA ones. If somebody signs a max deal in the NBA, that thing is either getting passed around the league or getting bought out at some point. The length of contract (Buddy's ridiculously long deal) is somewhat similar to what you see in the ice hockey NHL.

--------------

Also, this weekend is the USAFL Nationals too. I don't think they're broadcasting on YouTube, but they have gotten onto ESPN's streaming platform for live coverage which is pretty :psyduck: in all honesty.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ESPN3 is/was the name of their streaming site in the U.S., so it isn't an actual channel, but part of their OTT setup. Looks like ESPN3 was carrying four or five hours' worth of the Nationals grand finals (and it sounds like my old club lost in their GF). Barrish is apparently "media director" for USAFL, for what it's worth.

the other notable invitee was Razor Ray heading up a group of umpires for the USAFL umpire training, which resulted in entirely predictable jokes on the Facebook page.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

News: St Kilda taking over from Gold Coast as the partner for Port Adelaide’s games in Shanghai.

Views: that’s a lot closer for me to see in person

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I hope Rupert is immortal but spends eternity trapped in the vacuum of space

Where the only thing he gets to hear is American NPR.

Have they cracked down on using VPNs to get access to the international Watch AFL pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spedman posted:

The AFL equivalent is the NFL in US sports, they play 17 game seasons and a 4 week final series, exactly what the AFL should do

NFL is a 17 week season, each team gets one bye. Four pre-season games too which is at least one too many.

Basketball is fine, it expanded to 80 games or so a number of years ago. And the bigger issue is having seven-game series throughout the playoffs once more, I was happy with five-game first rounds.