Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Should probably add AFLX under the "things to not care about" section.

Also, here is an effortpost on AFLW I stole from reddit/bigfooty user not-drowning-waving/The Wookie

The_Wookie, post: 53891207, member: 102372 posted:

The 2018 AFL Womens season is less than 30 days away, with Carlton v Collingwood on Friday night, February 2 at Ikon Park. Heres what you need to know about the 2018 season.

The Teams

There have been no changes to the number of teams for the 2018 season, 2 teams will be added in 2019 (The North/Tas hybrid and Geelong) and 4 more teams: Gold Coast, West Coast, Richmond and St Kilda – will join the competition in 2020.

The Fixture

Like last season, there will not be a finals series, only a Grand Final.
  • No double headers with JLT series matches in 2018.
  • Melbourne v Collingwood will be played at Traeger park. This is partly to support their ongoing programs in the NT area.
  • No games at Victoria Park for the Pies, however they will play a match at Moe and 2 at Olympic Park.
  • All Adelaide based Adelaide games will be at Norwood Oval, with Thebarton Oval being dropped from the program,
  • Like last year, the Giants will play one game in Canberra. while Adelaide will play one game in Darwin.

Ticketing

All matches remain free to enter, except for Fremantle v Collingwood at Perth Stadium, where a $2.00 charge will be incurred.

Broadcasting
  • 1 match per week on a Satuday night, plus the season opening game will be shown on 7 or 7mate.
  • Local games in SA and WA will likely be shown on FTA as per last season, this does not extend to Qld or NSW except where they feature on Saturday night.
  • All matches will be shown live on Foxtel.
  • All matches will be shown live and free on the AFL website and associated app.
  • Full broadcast guide here.
The Rules

Three rule changes apply for the 2018 season.
  • The AFL has decided to modify the out of bounds rule, now a player will give away a free kick if they kick or handball the ball over the boundary line without it being touched by an opposition player.
  • A reduction of interchange players from six to five, meaning teams will now have 21 players in total (16 on the field plus five interchange)
  • The implementation of time-on for the last two minutes of each quarter. (as happened in the Grand Final)
Womens Pay
  • Total player payments will increase by $500,000 next year under a revised tiered payment system that sees the minimum wage of a senior listed player rise from $8,500 to $10,500. However, it should be noted that it amounts to a 36 per cent increase in contracted hours, but only a 20.96 per cent increase in total player payments.
  • Tier 1 players have received an 17.6 per cent bump, from $17,000 to $20,000, tier 2 rises from $12,000 to $14,500 (up 20 per cent) while the base wage is now $10,500, up from $8500 (up 23 per cent).
  • The base wage on the current deal was due to increase from $8500 to $9276, tier 2 $12,000 to $12,846 and from $17,000 to $17,946 for tier one players.
  • The players will now commit 13-15 hours per week during pre-season and 10 hours in season. Match day hours are on top of the 10-hour week.
  • Clubs also have a marquee budget they can allocate to their most marketable players, ranging from $5000 to $10,000 per player, with a cap of $40,000 per team.
  • Players have signed 24-week contracts, which includes two weeks of annual leave.
  • Other details in graphic here.
Player Lists post 2018 season

A window will open shortly after the end of the second AFLW season in which the Demons, Blues, Magpies and Dogs will need to give up players to their rivals.
  • The AFL has determined that the AFLW All-Australian committee will give each player at a Victorian club a points rating between 10 and 50, based on performance, but also taking into account injury, age and other relevant factors.
  • Existing clubs will give up between two and four players to a total worth of 100 points. Josh Vanderloo, told Fairfax Media, “Notionally your top rated players are worth 50 points, your low-rated players are worth 10 points.”
  • The expansion clubs will subsequently be allowed to sign any non-AFLW players over 18, before the league determines exact concessions for the 2018 draft.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

snaeksikn posted:

how come the crows won't have to cough up players to the other aflw teams? south australian bias!!

logos also updated in op

Because the two new teams are in Victoria, given the draft pool is state based and not a national draft, Victorian teams get screwed and have to give up players. That being said, any players delisted by the interstate clubs (if they do a forced delisting of ~7 players again) could choose to go into the Victorian draft in a chance to get re-listed.

The AFL might make one or two players head to Victoria from other states to make it a bit more fair, I believe the AFL helped pay relocation costs for Bella Ayre and Net Exon when they were traded to Brisbane for Tayla Harris, but I'm not 100% sure of that either.

Hopefully with the re-negotiation of the payment contracts for the 2019 season means a big pay rise for players which would allow a national draft if players can afford to move interstate for 4 months.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 9, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Round 1 was the first time the women played with the size 4 ball (well and training i guess) but they adopted it in the VFLW season last year as well.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Brianna Davey is the new Carlton captain for 2018. Arnell is stepping down to be a vice captain along with Sarah Hosking.

I guess it makes sense, Arnell will be turn 32 at the end of the season and might retire this or next year. This gives Davey some more time as captain while arnell is also playing and can be in the leadership group. Arnell has been doing coaching courses last year so I guess she'll aim to be in the coaches box and also still do commentary work for the ABC.

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/951360581096714240

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It is. I wonder how the women will go tonight, it should cool down a little bit but I remember Carlton v Brisbane game last aflw season was in 37c heat and was pretty bad just sitting in the shade.

AFLW practice matches:

Collingwood v Melbourne

Friday, January 19th
Olympic Park, Melbourne
Game start: 7.30pm
Entry: Free
Girls Play Footy Radio will be there to call the match and give full analysis of each team

Western Bulldogs v Carlton

Saturday, January 20
Mars Stadium, Ballarat
Bouncedown: 7pm
Gates open: 6pm
Free Entry
GPF Radio may also be on hand to call the Western Bulldogs-Carlton game in Ballarat, which is to be confirmed in the coming days.

GWS v Brisbane

Saturday, January 20.
Gates open at 9.30am
Game to start at 10am.
WestConnex Centre, 1 Olympic Boulevard, Sydney Olympic Park.
Free Entry

Adelaide v Fremantle

Saturday, January 20
TIO Stadium, Darwin
Gates open 5.30pm
Match starts 7.30pm
Free entry
Livestreamed by the NTFL Youtube channel.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Apparently the Dees v Pies game was good and close.

Collingwoods Darcy Gutterage did her collarbone, season ending probably.

https://twitter.com/GirlsPlayFooty/status/954302410545012736

edit: and a new aflw podcast 'credit to the girls'
https://twitter.com/crdttogrlsshow/status/953863875522306049

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 19, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
At Eureka stadium. Its a good little venue. Summer footy owns. Probably 2000+ here.

Pretty windy, scores were level at quarter time (1 goal each) and at halftime it is Carl 4.2 26 v Wb 4.0 24

Last touch rule is a bit weird so far, still not a fan. Umpires got one call wrong as it was touched off the boot but still awarded as kicked out of bounds.

It has cooled down now, Breanne Moody fainted out in the middle, didn't seem to get hit. Walked off and had a blood nose from faceplanting. Looks like she wont play the rest of the match.

Tayla Harris has a wonderful kick, scored the firat goal from 55 out into the wind.

New carltom girls look good too, although Madison Gay is in the coaches box along with Jessica Hosking, wanted to see her play after missing last season.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Carlton won 8.8 56 v 6.4 40

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/954655036608364544
What a good game. Scrappy in parts and pretty brutal at times with big knocks and a bit of a punch on which cost the doggies a 50m penalty infront of goal.

Bulldogs were resting more players overall carlton were seemingly giving everyone half a game with like 8 on the bench.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 20, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah the umpiring in AFLW remains pretty trash level

These practice matches are using trainee umpires. The Carl v WB match had 3 goal umpires, who were rotating each quarter for turns. And they struggled with the last touch rule a bit too in a few cases, in one which is directly infront of me the ball was touched off the boot and bounced over the line, but was was still paid as a free kick because the two umpires didn't see the partial smother.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

gay picnic defence posted:

I've been told Kurt Tippett will be gone next week. Supposedly the official reason will be that his body is hosed but it's really because he's a lazy fuckhead and Longmire hates him.

Gone

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-01-22/tippett-announces-retirement

:rip: sydneys salary cap

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Channel 7 being dicks

https://twitter.com/Lyndzzz/status/955365919273844737

quote:

Less than two weeks out from the start of the second AFLW season, it’s been confirmed that the majority of the free-to-air telecasts of AFL Women’s matches will be shunted by the Seven Network to one of its secondary channels, 7mate.

In the inaugural AFLW season, free-to-air games up to and including round four were broadcast on Channel 7 into the main football markets of Melbourne and Adelaide, with Perth (due to its time zone) and the non-traditional football markets of Sydney and Brisbane receiving the game on 7mate.

From round five, Saturday night matches were relegated to 7mate in all markets, and as a result viewing numbers dipped to around or below 200k free-to-air viewers, down from the figures of around 500k and 350k in the first two rounds.

This is despite the quality of football increasing considerably in the back half of the season.

They got the rights for free, are only airing 1 game a week nationally (two in SA and WA) and have decided to bump it to the secondary channel. Last season it only cost them staff wages to broadcast the matches and they got a shitload of free advertising dollars. This season with most matches in the afternoon or evening they're all in even better timeslots for broadcast.

Hopefully another network bids for aflw coverage rights when they go up for auction in a year or three. I mean, the ABC could have used that $30m government bribe to Foxtel to 'help promote womens sport' and aired the aflw instead.

Watch them air a cooking show instead or a saturday night movie with ads every 4 minutes.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 23, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
footy footy footy footy footy

https://www.facebook.com/bumpfooty/videos/1504126026302656/

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Periphery posted:

I hate to admit it but I've found it almost impossible to get into AFLW without having a Saints team to follow. It's just not the same when you have no skin in the game.

Try this while you wait until the saints join in 2020.

Also the AFLW app was launched today, it should just be apart of the AFL app but whatever. Finally, some stats and a match centre, plus match streams: http://www.afl.com.au/womens/aflwapp

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Two fish fingers, 30g of shredded lettuce, four drops of mayo and a small roll.

Total cost of ingredients about 95 cents.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
There is a trainstation but they dont have enough trains or drivers for big events, the government wanted to restrict ticket sales for a few month until the footbridge is finished.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hey, goons

Footytipping is back. 4 days until the AFLW season kicks off so get your tips in now!

snaeksikn posted:

TIPPING

FootyTipping hasn't rolled over yet for some reason but if you were in it last year you should be automatically entered in it this year.

If you're new or got purged the link is thus:
http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/SASTips
pw: goons

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
An MCC thing.

Why are no cricket games listed?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo this is loving excellent

https://youtu.be/HMtI93aK97I

NAB continues to kill it with their footy ad campaigns (despite them being a loving bank) and this is top notch work.

Once again the sponsors of the AFLW do a better job promoting the women's competition than the AFL does.

Speaking of... game day! FOOTY IS BACK FOR 2018 gently caress YES :getin: get your rear end to an aflw match this season it is free and it is classic suburban footy from the 90s. Download the aflw app too.

Remember to fill out the footy tips too or join the competition (see OP)

Linking the ad again because it owns bones https://youtu.be/HMtI93aK97I

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
5 hours to footy!

Can't wait. Match will be broadcast on Channel 7 at 7:30pm, streamed online and on the aflw app (go download it) and will be broadcast by ABC Grandstand and SEN & RSN radio stations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
footyfootyfootyfootyfootyfootyfootyfootyfootyfootyfootyfooty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E4DQcVj0N0

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Kicked the knees i think. Was reported.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh welp

Also post in this thread who bumped the only one?

Whoever wanted to watxh it. Afl.com/womens or whatever and click the watch now banner.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

I'm really missing having a stats site to go along with this, both live like fanfooty and historical like footywire

Aflw app has all game stats like the afl app.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I blame the last touch rule for low scores. Changed momentum too often, no real chance to score from throw ins inside 50 etc.

Also ot was loud for the players tonight, harder to communicate which will help for other games.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I think most of their ads are disabled because you'd just get people saying gently caress banks.

Anyway...
https://twitter.com/GirlsPlayFooty/status/959372040108044288

Yeah, this. Nice work AFL.

Maybe modify the rule so it only comes into effect in the centre zone of the ground and does not apply when the ball is within either 50m arc.

What would have been scoring opportunities in the pockets became defensive kick ins but from the edge of the oval instead of the goalsquare.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
gently caress, tipped GWS to win it, I thought they would.

Also tipped the crows but I was at a wedding all day and had no reception, would have changed it if I knew Phillips wasn't playing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
this game is nuts. freo bad so what

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Okay well they fought back, good 3rd quarter form Freo. I think the doggies will still win it by a fair bit though.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Toogood is great, also good is Gabby Collingwood playing for Brisbane.

Doggies running away with this, they'll have a great percentage boost from this match.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah seems on the low side, Hosking was pushed into the air from the kick/push, it was deliberate as D'arcy lined it up etc.

Equivalent to 6 weeks in the AFL.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, no fines for aflw playrs, they dont get paid enough.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Solemn Sloth posted:

One of the dogs have done an ACL and looks like Phillips is out for a second week. Keen to hear how Paxman has pulled up with her back injury

Sarah D'arcy accepts a 2 match ban for kicking, Katie Brennan accepted a reprimand for rough conduct, no clue what it is though. And another injury for the crows ontop of Phillips is Courtney Cramey out with hamstring injury. Two very good players out, crows will probably miss the GF if they lose this week.

But the big out for this weekend, Carlton coach Damien Keeping is in hospital for something, will miss the match, admitted to hospital Sunday night and no public statement of whats wrong yet.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 6, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/freodockers/status/960786584952979457

e: https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/960780957832761344

Maybe stop changing the rules you fucks

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 6, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I'll have you know that Zooper goals are a thing in AFLX. Not kidding, 100% true. Zooper Goals.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So the AFL are being poo poo again.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/je...1d22-1517981243

quote:

THE AFL has sent an extraordinary memo, calling for AFLW coaches to adjust their tactics this weekend in order to reduce congestion.

Foxfooty.com.au has obtained the memo, which was sent by AFL football operations boss Steve Hocking to the eight clubs with AFLW teams, that asks for coaches to instruct less players to surround stoppages in Round 2.

The note was sent after coaches held discussions with AFL executives, including Hocking and AFLW boss Nicole Livingstone, on Wednesday.

“Vegas has plenty of showgirls if they want a ‘performance’ ... but if you want better footy, let the coaches teach it! We are 9 rounds into a competition for goodness sake,” an AFLW club official told foxfooty.com.au.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...23daf2bbb35b935

quote:

Carlton captain Davey on Wednesday said the Blues understood the AFL’s take, but declared that the players are “here to win games” and will do “whatever we need to do to get over the line for that particular game”.

“As players and as teams, we probably don’t really care what it looks like as long as we’re getting that win,” Davey said at the launch of the AFLW Round 4 Pride Game.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens-afl/afl-talks-to-aflw-coaches-over-defensive-tactics-20180206-h0uxds.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...40c67ebca6b965d

http://girlsplayfooty.com/2018/02/the-afl-has-no-respect-for-coaches-players-or-the-aflw-as-a-competition.html

quote:

But this has become an attack on the players, an attack on the coaching staff, and an attack on the AFLW as a competitive league, and the fact that the head honchos do not realise that, is not acceptable.

The AFLW was launched in 2017, three years before the expected start. It was understood that the competition would begin in 2020, but the AFL showed ambition in bringing the league forward by three years.

That ambition has turned to quick-fixes as a result of anxiety over issues that aren’t really issues, and worst of all, the introduction of solutions that aren’t really solutions.

Women’s football was fine in 2016. Most leagues played 20 or 25-minute quarters, the play was open, and it was enjoyable to watch. The one knock was that the quality of players in the bottom 75 per cent were well below those in the top 25 per cent, but that comes with the nature of a sport that, while it has 100 years of history, is still budding at an elite level.

Women’s football didn’t need tweaking, it just needed time.

etc.

So they've issued these 'guidelines' to follow and if they are ignored they might introduce zoning in round 3. Mid-season. Just gently caress everything up by changing rules and forcing teams to play a certain style of footy despite them recruiting a strong backline or whatever.

If they introduce mid season rule changes this will also upset the results of the season since the first two games will have been played differently.

Despite all of this 35 goals were kicked in round 1, 7 more than round 1 last year.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 7, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes, although they moved a lot of games to the evening.

They also reduced the length of breaks (because of the 2 mins of time on... yeah) and reduced the number of players on the bench, which could easily be reversed when quarters are back at 20min with or without time on.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Our captain is in a gay relationship with a teammate (from before they were both drafted), is yours?

Also the lovely statement from the board was because they didn't get a unanimous vote (probably the old hag jeanne pratt voting no) but the team cares and pushed for this too, I guess.

Anyway, gameday! Arnell has been dropped, zero touches last week and didn't run very fast. Might be carrying an injury or something who knows. It might be hard for her to get back into the side given there are no seconds to play in during the season.

Dasiy Pearce wrote this good thing too: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens-afl/daisy-pearce-dont-wallow-in-aflw-negativity-20180208-h0vskb.html

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Raining in sydney now. Going to be a scrappy match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Lightning delay at quarter time. Players are in the room, it is pissing down and then fox footy feed went to static and cut out, listening to ABC and you can hear thunder over the top of the commentary.

Super wet game whwn it resumes. Fair number of people there too, some will go home I guess.