Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Thread title owns. I still can't get over Richmond winning the flag last year. It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

drunkill posted:

They got the rights for free, are only airing 1 game a week nationally (two in SA and WA) and have decided to bump it to the secondary channel. Last season it only cost them staff wages to broadcast the matches and they got a shitload of free advertising dollars. This season with most matches in the afternoon or evening they're all in even better timeslots for broadcast.

Hopefully another network bids for aflw coverage rights when they go up for auction in a year or three. I mean, the ABC could have used that $30m government bribe to Foxtel to 'help promote womens sport' and aired the aflw instead.

Blame the AFL for giving 7 the rights for free? At the end of the day they are a Ch7 commercial entity and if the viewership numbers don't stack up then it makes sense to push them to 7Mate.

That person on twitter is ignoring that WBBL games are all held in the arvo, not primetime like many AFLW games. Also, her quotes about viewership figures have holes in it. She mentions viewership in the first two rounds (500k then 350k), then suddenly quotes round 5 when figures were 200k? What happened before then? It sounds like the viewership may have dropped significantly up to round 5 and then the call was made to move it to 7Mate...

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The new Perth stadium is gonna be pretty intimidating when it's full. Remindes me of the colloseum.

It's probably the closest ground in shape and consistent height to the MCG but it's rare that you get 60k to a game when only one Melbourne team is playing, whereas you could fill Optus Stadium with 60k Eagles fans.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I'd love to hear more how about the stadium itself went for watching sport.

That food stuff sucks, but from what I'm hearing it was quite understaffed, and they seemed overwhelmed, which doesn't entirely surprise me being the first big event.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

teacup posted:

Fair or not that score line is just awful. I really want the women’s comp to be successful but at the moment people are going along when it’s free. How long will be people tolerate paying for a game like that though?

No goals kicked after half time but how dare they shift coverage to 7Mate!!!!

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

FOOTY TONIGHT!!!

I'm actually quite curious to see how it goes. It sounds silly but could be fun.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The grey GWS jumper looks sick

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

fyi you can get foxtel for $39 a month with sport, HD, no installation fee and no fee for the iq3 box. no contract either

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/07/major-finals-shake-up-on-the-cards-for-2019/

I'm torn about this.

You could argue that it gives less teams a guaranteed finals spot (from 8 down to 6), which rewards better performance. The flipside argument is that it rewards mediocrity by expanding the amount of teams who qualify to make 'finals' (8 up to 10). More teams will now qualify for finals than those who miss out, which is stupid.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I am so loving excited for footy to start in LIKE 48 HOURS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Bryce Gibbs owns, always has. If he played for a good club thorough his prime it probably would've changed the legacy he'll have after his career is done.

Also lol at some of the real rusty umpiring so far

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I think Libba just did his ACL again :(

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Optus Stadium looks heaps like the MCG from any shots that don't show the very top of the stands.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I've watched a shitload of pre-season training documentaries etc. for NFL clubs and they don't do anything insane. They just train, watch film, train, watch film, train, watch film. It's intense physical training and preparation for the sport they play, but no stupid mind games. These insane mental tests need to go.

I don't see how being blindfolded in the bush prepares you for kicking a ball around in front of 100,000 screaming fans at the MCG.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Jerka giving Rance a bit of a bath

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Umpiring has got the Blues back in the game in the last 5 minutes. Some incredibly soft or non-existent frees paid.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Jeezus Scully might've broken his ankle now too

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Dirty play from Gardiner and should get a holiday. Basically did a wrestling move on Fritsch who looks like he may have broken a rib

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I'm a bit concerned about Goodwin tbh. Puzzling team selections, and constantly throws players behind the ball as a solution to stop momentum but it doesn't work.

I haven't seen anything that says he is a good game day coach

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

This is one of the most poorly umpired games I've ever seen.

Dees should be about 40 up if it wasn't for gifts to the Kangas and shocking frees against Melbourne like that one against Kent at the end of the 3rd. 'Holding' when Kent wasn't even touching the player at all. Just unfathomably bad.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Thar deliberate out of bounds against Yeo was disgusting. If a ball is contestedin the air you should be able to hit it out of bounds. Defenders can spoil a mark so I have no idea how that was different.

God I loving hate how every new rule the AFL introduces is garbage and makes the game worse.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Why doesn't the AFL ladder predictor go up until half way through the season?

Obviously it's way too hard to predict anything after 3 games (this season is all over the place already), but I want to play around with the hypothetical of the Dees continuing to win games before the bye.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Jake Lever is garbage and a complete waste of picks and money. Fuming.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Come on Brissy!

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Fun finish. Rayner should've kicked that goal for the draw (although Lynch should've kicked the sealer a min earlier).

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

To be fair to Lever, Goodwin decided to play him as a second KPD for a couple of weeks for some unknown and bizarre reason. Also you’d probably expect someone to take a while to adjust to playing in a new back line with a significantly different game plan(lose a lot)

I didn’t think he was worth the money reported or the draft picks then, and I still don’t now, but it’s probably a little early to call him a scrub imo

Frost is out injured/dropped so he'll be back to playing second KPD.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Goodwin is a poor coach, and trading 2 picks away for Lever is going to cost us

Also, Richmond fans are loving horrendous to sit near at the football. I thought I'd seen it all but good lord there were some morons in the AFL members tonight who had no idea about footy. Wish I was in the MCC, happy to take the stereotype.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Melbourne are completely broken. I feel like talent keeps us in games but dumb mistakes and horrible structure and gameday coaching means we're nowhere near finals ready.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Conversation on 360 about congestion. Chatting about reducing teams to 16 a side and I don't mind it.

Less congestion, smaller lists required, more concentrated talent pool for the AFL.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Essendon's third quarters are abysmal. Haven't won one for the year and currently have scored a rushed behind in the third against the Hawks.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Oh cool Richmond are 44 points up while Martin has kicked 0.4

This really is the darkest timeline

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

GO BRISBANE

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

gently caress off collingwood

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Melbourne are the only team in the top 11 who doesn't play another top 11 side next week. The remaining 7 crab clubs play each other.

The top 4 will either start to separate, or there will be a real log jam of clubs on 20 points.

Melbourne could very realistically jump to 5th.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Forum Joe posted:

Essendon, wth!

It's loving awesome.

Also Gold Coast's NEAFL side managed to not kick a goal against Brisbane's reserves team. 19 AFL listed players for Brisbane, 11 for GC.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

It would be nice to see Brissy get a win this week too.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Domination for pnly a 3 point lead. Frustrating.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Seeing photos of Mark Neeld takes me to a dark place.

I still can't believe there was a year we won 2 games.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

lol the dogs kicked 2 goals and one of them was from a shithouse free kick paid 15 meters out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

T Mac has now kicked 13.1 from 3 and a half games of footy.

Meanwhile his brother is quietly becoming a very very solid key defender.