Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TBH without that kick, freo were fumbling around, but now they're two kicks ahead, so momentum works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There's been a lot of loose decisions lol

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gutsy win by the lions over freo, not a pushover at all.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Periphery posted:

I'm refraining from saying things like this because I fear Vic will be stupid enough to vote Matthew Guy into power. :suicide:

On the start of the season: I'm finding it very hard to get excited about the Saints first two games of the year. Brisbane and North at Etihad. We either flog them and it means nothing, win by <30 points and it's a bad win, or lose and it's an absolute disaster.

Same. I'd hope for some prodding by the membership should we fail to make a dent in the finals this year, but we're talking about the Saints here.

I still have higher hopes that Victorian voters are not stupid somehow.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Two words prove you wrong here. Jeff Kennett.

(Yes, I am an old man who lived through his reign. Fight me.)

When Kennett got in (yes I lived through it too) the state of the Victorian economy was not good and I'm not about to blame the voters for looking for a fix and Kennett got in on the promise to fix it. Of course he "fixed" it, and hosed a good deal else up but that's how it goes. As a Queensland refugee, I thought Kennett talked a big game but was no Bjelke-Petersen and Matthew Guy is certainly no Kennett. Guy would need some kind of Armageddon for the electorate to give him a try so soon after his party's debacle government and his own peccadilloes.

I expect the Saints to just miss the finals again.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lmao what a game, yay for footy :D

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Mine are still fine but it'll probably end up that I would've been better off if they'd been deleted.

speaking of which, will Norf norf, or Demons demonstrate insufficient ardour?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/eenfish/status/982187839201820673

Ah the magpies, spelling is for losers.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

drat, I was enjoying that but my 7mate reception is in the toilet so I'll probably miss it by the time they get around to footy.

edit: uhhh no its not a shop, I just saw it on TV.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 6, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

monolithburger posted:

Oh boy, Carlton have poo poo the bed.

They started well but completely lost the plot now.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dr. Dirt posted:

I just found out I tipped all 9 games correctly last Round, and missed the Blues/Pies margin by 1 point. I’m pointing this out because I’m fairly sure it’s never happened before, and I doubt it’ll happen again.

Aha, so that's you, bloody well done. I find the tipping at this end of the season to be the miraculous time the better one does, simply because there's always a few surprises. You know the good teams will win away and the bad teams lose at home. Yeah Saints, you bloody turnips. I punted on GWS and Suns but they lost, I guess Freo is playing better at home this year and GWS still have to find a way to win at the SCG.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is going to be a messy one.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Surprised by Bombers win, Hawks vs Demons sounds like a contest. Thank god for good old predictable lovely Saints, missing directly in front from 30m out :rolleyes:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Arrgh this season, if it isn't the Crows confusing me, now Swans are losing at home.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Periphery posted:

You should all consider yourselves lucky that I'm going to the footy today because it'll save you from my poo poo posting while the game is going on. I pre-emptively apologise for what happens when I get home after GWS have beaten the Saints by 200 points.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :itwaspoo: This season, wtf.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Eddie and Ling need to go jump in a geyser somewhere.

Get the job properly done.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sacking the coach worked okay for the dogs in a similar position, although increasingly it’s looking like that was lightning striking four weeks running

It won't change anything. The problem is the culture and the culture is run from board-level. You look at the history of the club over the last three decades and it's obvious that changing coaches has at most an ephemeral effect over a couple of seasons. If they're lucky, the Saints get a couple of good players who can inspire another ten to play well and the Saints move up the ladder, then the coach gets sacked or the players trade up to a better club and it's back to square one. If push comes to shove the board will always gently caress over the coach because they don't care as long as the club is making bucks: you cannot explain such determined mediocrity over that period of time otherwise. It's why I call the club the best training club in the league because they're either training players to leave or coaches to leave, they never attract big players from other clubs, its always one way traffic.

Until you shift that mindset from the board and management level, nothing will change.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Although I don’t think we are even legislating for effect anymore, it’s just completely loving random. financially-driven.

FTFY

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Periphery posted:

Give Carlton and the Saints priority picks imo.

E: Carlton and hte Saints probably need more than 1 PP to unfuck their situation. Half a dozen each would probably do the job.

Wouldn't matter, they'd still be run by the same people. I think I'm a bit stunned by Demons performance this year, nfi what changed, it's like another team put on Demons jerseys for a laugh.

Putting injured players out there is the worst excuse for poor performance, it's really making GBS threads on the players to save face for the board.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Periphery posted:

poo poo, I left out the very next line of the article:

:suicide:

loving QED. That says everything you need to know about the club culture.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Now imagine if we had the kind of access to champion data that MLB fans get :negative:

Yeah it is bloody frustrating, I'm sure they're terrified what would happen to betting if we had detailed stats.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If you look at the American sports, freely available stats are good for everyone, the media, the fans, and the nerds. It just doesn't suit the company who owns it right now and the chumps paying for it. It's a dumb as gently caress idea that they've been told is dumb as gently caress repeatedly but the Australian business mindset seems to be "we must be right if it annoys someone".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Also most of the St Kilda football team. No loving effort half the time just does my head in.

I've said it before, they're as lazy as the Demons used to be, and they have no investment in winning. That's a cultural problem.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I suspect that rucks scoring goals against you indicates your tactics are wrong, Geelong.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Holy crap that FT score over Freo, wtf is wrong with them (don't tell me, it's Ross Lyon).

quote:

The Magpies fulfilled that part of the equation with even the most ardent Cats supporters having to admit they had barracked momentarily for the Pies throughout the afternoon.

:v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Giants very wobbly in the 2nd half, letting Swans run over them now :(

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

There's 4 minutes left, Sydney are just over a goal up, both teams have swapped places on the live ladder. A top 4 spot is up for grabs. You are Nick Haynes, Buddy has just taken a mark on you 40m out on a 45 angle.

Do you:

A) man the mark
B) elbow Luke Parker in the nuts directly in front of the umpire and give away a 50

Ahaha, well that's what happens when you've got no legs left and are mentally done.

Poor GWS, why do I always discount the loving Swans at the end of the season, they do this every loving year gently caress them. gently caress.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

cmndstab posted:

How do you guys with clubs who regularly finish in the bottom spots do it?

With utter cynicism. C'mon Eagles, do it for the downtrodden West (and my picks).

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Are the Eagles on the way down?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Putting aside club allegiances, Buddy is by far the player I most want to watch from my entire time with football.

I caught the tail end of Ablett Senior, and most of Carey, but I’d take Buddy over either of them hands down.

Never been a fan of the boof forwards, give me a Bartlett, Rioli or Betts every time. Goalsneaks are my favourite part of the game.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thought I was doing so well to get into the top ten and hosed the last round right up :qq: Oh well, finals fun begins!

Tiges to win, Swans to go out first round.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Holy crap the roar for that tiges goal. Is Riewoldt still punching on behind play?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

90ish tackles by half time, that's a bit mad. Going to be a stamina test.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh god not Collingwood. Now I will have to wish defeat on a Victorian side in the GF.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tuned in late, laughed out loud at the score. I hope this doesn't make the Weagles overconfident.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Conspiracy theories about Victorian umpires? Unpossible!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

IIRC the game we lost in 2000 was notable for being the birth of the flood, which the bulldogs used to choke up their defensive half and the bombers had no answer for

Heh I remember that match, it was bizarre. Commentators were in WTF mode the whole time, they couldn't believe what they were seeing. Of course then everyone started doing it and it was horrible.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

lol Eagles kicking points, not a good strategy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

AHAHAHA best game of the year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah I do feel a bit sorry for Buckley, he did an amazing job this year, hard game to lose.