Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
There were $12 pies and this monstrosity too

https://twitter.com/belltowertimez/status/957512382238023680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

The $12 pie thing was a glitch and no one was actually charged that.

I'm not surprised, considering "fancier" pies were $7.50.

From friends who were at the stadium yesterday they were very positive about the actual sport watching.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

drunkill posted:

Holy poo poo this is loving excellent

https://youtu.be/HMtI93aK97I

NAB continues to kill it with their footy ad campaigns (despite them being a loving bank) and this is top notch work.

Once again the sponsors of the AFLW do a better job promoting the women's competition than the AFL does.

Speaking of... game day! FOOTY IS BACK FOR 2018 gently caress YES :getin: get your rear end to an aflw match this season it is free and it is classic suburban footy from the 90s. Download the aflw app too.

Remember to fill out the footy tips too or join the competition (see OP)

Linking the ad again because it owns bones https://youtu.be/HMtI93aK97I

That ad is pro click, the era appropriate hairstyles make it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

In a shocking news Nat Fyfe isn't playing AFLX

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2018-02-13/fyfe-withdrawn-from-aflx-squad

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Basketball footy

I just want watch some of the young Freo guys run around.

It's not terrible, but not overly interesting.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I gave up after Freo played

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

AFLX is revealing that deep down you all crave Lyonball.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/freodockers/status/968010995288358913

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Still one of my favourite games, the Egg Andrew Wills running amok, beating the Roos at the height of their powers:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=764

Freo won the game and laid 10 tackles total for the whole game. The Roos put on only 22 themselves.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I hadn't seen a photo of sam newman in years, he looks really loving weird these days. Seems like they've been pulling the skin on the back of his head even harder.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

More people were watching television about people watching television

Post modernism has taken over

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Freo still have the sweet guitar solo under the opening chorus, so all good.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Did someone put the blues shorts in the wash with the jumpers?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I’m in Hawaii at the moment and watchafl has been solid

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hard to imagine why anyone would want to leave this entirely normal football club and state

Imagine if any other workplace did this, blindfolded for 24hrs on a bus and “mentally broken down”

I don’t think I’ve ever seen international sports teams do this kind of stuff before

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Windmill Hut posted:

I've watched a shitload of pre-season training documentaries etc. for NFL clubs and they don't do anything insane. They just train, watch film, train, watch film, train, watch film. It's intense physical training and preparation for the sport they play, but no stupid mind games. These insane mental tests need to go.

I don't see how being blindfolded in the bush prepares you for kicking a ball around in front of 100,000 screaming fans at the MCG.

This was my impression of professional US sports too, just physically train until you don’t know how to gently caress up.

None of this psycho-babble garbage loved by MBAs and over paid consultants.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Holy poo poo, I just realised we did mindfulness training with one of the guys from that company at work (RBA - I work on banknotes, not economics)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Good win tonight at the first game at the new home ground. Young backs looking solid, but still bombing it into the forward line a bit too much, Tabs getting some confidence kicking 4.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

all i can think of whenever i see him is clarko yelling 'sicily! i thought i told you to shave those sideburns!' and him rocking up the next day like that, simpsons style

Same

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I for one am glad the VFL guy is one of the commentators tonight

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

OK so looks like Freo do the obnoxious light show at the end of every home win

Its really annoying when trying to watch the after match interviews.

A good win, defence is starting to looking really good, just need to be better converting (freo.txt)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

realbez posted:

Gaj and Geelong are bad and I dislike them enormously!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

gary rohan's wife gave birth to twins but only one survived. poor family.

:smith:

The story is a little more complex than I first thought, they knew that one of the girls would not survive more than a few hours at the 11 week scan due to a fatal condition which causes parts of the brain and skull to under develop. They seem like pretty amazing people in the way that they've handled the awful situation.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

When North kick a goal at Etihad they have a little video of Goldstein (I think) encouraging the crowd to roar with pre-recorded cheering. It’s terrible.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Gotta get the Crows back in it somehow

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Um no. I think you'll find that if you can kick a leather ball between two big poles multiple times then it excuses any and all bad stuff you have done.

A secular version of saying Three Hail Marys if you will

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

How quickly people forget the rock hard knee killer that was the WACA

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Special night for Kennedy in his 209th game which added to his dad's 241 games makes 450 total AFL/VFL games and furthermore

He shoehorned that in so hard

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Well that was one of the better renditions of Advance Australia Fair I’ve heard in a while, she really belted it out

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

lol Dangerfield throws Westoff to the ground via his neck/head, Westoff slow to get up jogs off slowly. Commentators slobber over Dangerfield saying there was nothing in it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

lol @ Freo wanting to rename a medal because it doesn't have one of their players names on it :rolleyes:

"Nah I don't want the Brownlow, guy didn't play for our club."

Glendinning is a West Coast name, why would Freo want to keep that on the medal if they don't have to?

Call it the Fewster medal and be done with it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

Because they have to? That's the point of the medal? Make one for the Freo home derby then and we can have one for each match per year, problem solvered.

Why do they have to? It's just the Eagles wanting to keep they're inaugural captain as the naming, I can see why they want it, but it makes no sense from a Freo perspective to keep it.

I agree having to two medals each year makes total sense, or call it the Glendinning-Gilbert medal or whatever

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

My sister in law taught Goddard at Caulfield Grammar where he had a full scholarship (and one of the few to get one), apparently he was just a deeply ungrateful shithead then as he is now.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Not the highest standard, but a watchable game of footy

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

Gonna go ahead and say that we can compete for a premiership this year. That was a pretty good win.

e: Hurn is having a career year as well, finished atop the player ratings yet again

Both sides can take positives out of the game, unfortunately for us Walters did a medial, so will probably be out for a month.

I think having a more mcg like ground at home will end up helping both the WA sides at the pointy end of the season (I think Freo might sneak in the 8 if we can keep Sandi on the park while Darcy is getting himself right).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

The more games I see of the Dockers this year I realise Alex Pearce is legit.

Also dunno why the Dockers shaved a dwarf from Lord of the Rings and let him loose on the football field this year.

Ballantyne has been playing for at Freo for 10 years now :confused: :v:

Pearce was the player I was most excited about seeing play this year, he was just starting to really show how good he can be just before he broke his leg the first time.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I think it’s better than nearly every other suggestion, which are aimed at fatiguing players and will just result in a lower quality game and more athletes being drafted.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

:discourse:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

They’ve gone a fair bit backwards imo

I agree, they looked to be building something the last few seasons, showing glimpses, but the wheels have now just totally come off.

Speaking of the wheels coming off, Freo were bad yesterday. I was at the game, and boy did the young guys go into their shells, hesitate, and have a massive drop in intensity from the week before. I didn't think the Tigers were particularly great, but their gameplan is rock solid at this point, everyone knows what they're doing and what their teammates are doing, and they just rolled over Freo without much worry. But Fyfe was clearly BOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Freo had 13 with less than 50 games play on the weekend, 6 with 11 or less games.