Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

When does the footy-tipping start? Will there be a goon group for both AFL and AFLW? Howsabout Supercoach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Given he is contracted for 2018, do the swans still pay him, even though he is not playing?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Given that international markets, (China, India, US, wherever), will most likely not care about the sport nor will people be clamoring to play a bowdlerized version of a foreign game merely because they have a ground shaped for it , I would posit that AFLX is less about getting them to care or watch proper AFL, and more about giving cable providers in these markets product to fill their 24 hour sports channels.

Although if that truly was the intention, then why not just sell them actual AFL, or AFL highlights? I seem to remember them doing something similar to this a while back. This would get eyes on the product, is easier to sell, ("hey look at this weird game Australians play, isn't it exciting and fun?" etc.), and would translate a lot better to getting people into actually watching and playing AFL seriously.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Another thing, that I am sure has been said about AFLX is how stupid it is to be running it during the womens comp.

A womens comp that is building steam, building popularity, has athletes that are taking it seriously, and are having a crack. Instead of focusing on that, the AFL decides to spend it's marketing money, and tv time, and efforts on a bullshit hit and giggle that nobody cares about and is over in less than a week.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Periphery posted:

So he has a horribly drawn lion with filigree coming out of it's head? At least he's consistent.

It looks to me like the lion has antlers, and said antlers are steaming.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

cmndstab posted:

That sounds like a terrible decision. Watching the players come out and kick the ball at the goals is one of the fun parts of the pre-match :(

What? You like watching the athletes/sportspeople you came to see practice their athletic skills? Nah mate, we'll give you a D grade celebrity with a mic on the big screen trying to get someone to wave on camera for the chance to win a free pie. That'll get the fans engaged.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Periphery posted:

I don't really see why anyone would care if clubs can't warm up 40min before a game? Particularly if it means we get more VFL games beforehand. [b]More fan engagement I can live without though.[b]

That's my issue with it. They are taking poo poo away to make room for the horrible, tone deaf attempts at bullshit "hype" that the AFL does so badly.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I thought Tippett's retirement was a Salary thing.

As in because he is retired, they only have to pay out a percentage of the last year of his contract. Hence why a bunch of the big monster long term contracts are back-loaded.

But I could be very very wrong on this.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

In even stupider news, Eddie McGuire says something stupid.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/en...307-p4z36p.html

gently caress the both of them.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Schneider Inside Her posted:

The weird thing is that there are heaps of people with well thought out football opinions out there but they have Sam Newman and Eddie McGuire on there

The Footy Show isn't about well thought out football opinions though. It hasn't been for a long time.

And I think one of the reasons they won't ever let it die, is to let it die is to admit defeat. To admit that Newman and McGuires brand of blokey matey misogyny and buffoonery has had it's day. The people at Channel 9, (and Eddie and Sam in particular), will never want to admit that until the bitter end. So when it does die, (becauase of lack of ratings = lack of profitability), the few people/mouthbreathers left watching will blame PC culture and the bloody gay muslim foreign reffo sheilas for killing it, when it has been dead and irrellevant for at least 4-5 years.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

So, I have gone and bought an international watch AFL season pass, and have donated it to one of the pubs here.

This is so I will have somewhere to watch the football, and also so I won't have to do what I did last year, and watch the GF alone on my laptop in my office at school.

I tried it out yesterday for the first time, and it worked OK, and was only a little bit spotty at times though. But the $149 US is a small price to pay for bringing footy to Fuzhou.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

What was the reason for teh new songs? Was it a license thing? Do the AFL want to own the rights to the music played at games, and not have to pay fees?

If it is that, do the AFL, or Port pay the license fees for "Never Tear Us Apart"?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lol so Dangerfield is in and we are missing Viney, McDonald and Oliver, this sure is hard to tip and will be a hard fought contest lol

Look on the bright side. At least now Melbourne aren't favourites to win. In that case you'd be screwed.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

ewe2 posted:

I still have higher hopes that Victorian voters are not stupid somehow.

Two words prove you wrong here. Jeff Kennett.

(Yes, I am an old man who lived through his reign. Fight me.)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

realbez posted:

On watchafl this round: there’s a thread on bigfooty about it now with a lot of people reporting the same issues. Unwatchable stream and that lovely trick where it decides to punt you back an hour randomly. Hopefully it gets fixed since it is widespread.

I had the same issues in the bar I watched the game in. Very spotty, gives you 3 seconds and then buffers, then jumped back to the first quarter for no reason. It wasn't happening for teh AFLW games I watched last week and the week before, so hopefully it was a one time thing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

realbez posted:

“Collective Mind” lmao

Didn't they have a hit in the early 90s with 'Gel'?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I think is is the most Richmond thing ever that their fans were crowing that thy were guaranteed to go back to back after one win, and are now certain they will be wooden spooners after one loss.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

What if the Suns who have now dispatched 2 opponents handily are actually kind of alright???

Who knew it was the bald headed god-botherer that was holding them back?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Divorced And Curious posted:

one of the only good things to ever come from the footy subreddit was the rumour that sicily was a white supremacist

Was it based on his stupid 'shave teh sides of my head' haircut? Coz among all his faults, this is the one that shits me the most.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The umpiring in the North v Melbourne game is atrocious.

Goldstein elbows a bloke in the head and gets a free kick for his trouble

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I'm not saying anything new, or shocking here, but Eddie McGuire is a bad commentator, and a bad person, and I dislike seeing him and hearing him on my screen.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

Doesn't change the fact he is still a poo poo person

Um no. I think you'll find that if you can kick a leather ball between two big poles multiple times then it excuses any and all bad stuff you have done.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

On the Bomber Thompson stuff: As much as the "good bloke" defense will shorten his jail time, surely the easiest defense is just for him to roll over on his bikie roommate and/or claim he was being threatened/stood over.

That should cut a few years off, and depending on how much of an arsehole he is, (answer: very much so), surely he could claim mental distress due to the Dank saga fallout. I mean he even has public statements corroborating that. So that could also help him come sentencing time.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

3rd quarter = premiership quarter.

Also, I reckon that last goal was after the siren.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 5, 2018

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

BT is whinging about Hannan's socks.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Spedman posted:

It'd be like any other large org, full of people wanting to climb to the top not wanting to spoil their chances, plus it's a relatively small industry and you don't want to be the whistleblower.

I'd bet this plays a huge part in it. Notice how much of an old boys club it is. If you get sacked from a position at one club, you just slide into a different position at another club. People move from AFL house to club back to AFL house in various administrative roles. Everybody knows everybody else, and you don't want to ruin your chances of promotion by pissing off those above you by revealing their secrets.

I'd also argue there is a "what happens on footy trip stays on footy trip" mentality among the male ex-players, as well as a "you never played footy, you wouldn't understand" culture that thinks that the football industry has different rules to normal corporate and workplaces.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Completely apropos of nothing:

I was listening to Australian hip-hop artist Drapht's song Jimmy Recard where there is the line "like Wirrapunda on the ball"

It got me thinking, what other popular songs intentionally use the names of footy players in the lyrics?

Up there Cazaly is an obvious choice, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

drunkill posted:

Charlie free to play, appeal dismissed.

Ed gets 1 week because that is the minimum penalty when it was found he intentionally made contact.

May gets off scott free.

Hawkins lucky not to get 2 weeks.

As I understand it, Hawkins plead guilty to get the 1 week instead of the 2 he would get otherwise.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Max Gawn is both good at football, and is a charming motherfucker.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

Before the game yesterday the commentary mentioned the AFL told the crows they can wear their indigenous top this upcoming round.

Bizarre that nobody noticed the clash at the beginning of the seaaon, but go figure. I thought it was more odd Geelong wore theirs but Carlton didn't, given there was no clash at all there

Yeah, they know the schedule, so they know who they'll be playing in indigenous round, so the designers should at least try to design something that won't clash with the oppositions colours. Or maybe get the designers from the two teams together and have a quick chat so this doesn't happen in the future.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

In the AFL being arsehole news: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/in-despair-artists-take-aim-at-afl-over-indigenous-round-guernsey-20180602-p4zj25.html

The artists who designed the Bulldogs indigenous jumper haven't been paid for it's inclusion in the AFL video game. And I doubt they are the only ones.

I'm more inclined to think that this was an administrative oversight rather than actual malice. But it highlights some of teh things that have been said insomuch that the people in administration do not know how to administer the simple things.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Is he using the second St Kilda scarf as a leash so that she doesn't run away?
Or is he a gentleman who knew that she would be cold in her lingerie, so he bought her a scarf to keep her warm at the football? Being careful to tie it around her waist so he can still see her sweet sweet cartoon boobs.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Periphery posted:

They just said on Foxfooty that the Crows plan on keeping the Collective Minds program running as they can see the value in it.

Sounds like a good idea, but I'd also suggest that they bring in another wheel to make sure no playing escapes severe physical trauma to go with their mental trauma.

Couldn't the players just do a Melbourne and refuse to go?

Who would blame them, given the details of what went on at the last one.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Periphery posted:

Yeah, it'd be too hard to find replacements during the season. As far as I know almost every Saints assistant coach is out of contract at the end of this year. I'd expect them all to be gone.

But if they keep the Head Coach, and clean out almost everyone underneath him doesn't that make his job all teh harder, now he has to work with an entire new team, and a team of people that aren't necessarily on the same page as him?

Isn't a key part of Clarkson's success is that he surrounds himself with "his" guys.

So by bringing an entire new roster of assistant coaches wouldn't the Saints be making a bigger rod for their own back?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

As punishment for my sins in some former life, the only game of football I managed to watch last week was GWS murdering the Suns, and the only game of footy I will see this week is the Saints v Suns game happening now.

I am watching on delay, and there was just a period of play where the ball went end to end without a Saint within a bulls roar of the ball let alone their man. It is amazing that they are making the Suns look good, given last week Gold Coast were insanely awful.

To summarise, I agree with everyone above me who has spoken the simple truth: Saints bad.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

It has been said before, but Max Gawn is a charming, and eloquent motherfucker.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Was thinking about Gawn. Re: his charming-osity and eloquent-ness.

Even though it is counter -intuitive to hope that someone who is charming and eloquent doesn't have a post playing career in the media, I hope Gawn stays well the gently caress away from TV and/or radio.

He is too beautiful and pure for the garbage fire that is Australian Sports Media.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Are Adelaide officially out of contention for the 8 now? Or are they still a statistically improbable mathematical chance?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Eddie McGuire just quoted Shakespeare, and Jake Stringer kicked a goal.

What is going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

They will offer 4-5 weeks, because of his "good bloke" defence, i.e. never been before the tribunal before etc.

If they are stupid enough to try and appeal, he will get the full 8, hopefully more. Because that was a round armed haymaker thrown at a young kids face putting him in hospital.

And poo poo like that has no place in the game, or at all.