Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Hawks lost, but played okay and really took it to the Eagles. Defence was stellar for most of the game, only really coming unstuck when Gibbo got sent forwards halfway through the 3rd.

Tight game, not terribly skilled. Enough to suggest the Hawks belong in the finals, not enough to suggest they're gonna win any. Eagles looked pretty scary, even with the main forwards pretty well held and a few injuries they still played really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

boy undead posted:

Carlisle's ban is a conspiracy orchestrated by Gil to see St Kilda get a top two pick and then a priority pick

Either that or the MRP is a joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OawrlVoQqSs

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You see it all the time in sports where amazing talents thrown into the deep end can't cope and their development suffers. Sure eventually, they'll end up as solid dependable players but often it's the potential that suffers and the meanwhile is rough for fans too.
If you blow it up and there's no transcendent talent waiting for you at pick no1 you're hosed.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’d certainly put you ahead of us. Hawthorn go ahead of us too just based on the fact that if anyone’s going to figure out a way to gently caress Richmond up its Clarkson, it’s just whether he has the cattle to do it this year

He doesn't.
I think there's a healthy chance West Coast and Sydney can sneak past Richmond and force them to play away from the G for a couple of weeks which might be all the footy world needs to avoid a continuation of the darkest timeline.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

realbez posted:

Why the gently caress does AFL live app now show a 15 second ad whenever I try to play a clip???? This is a paid service you loving cunts

It's a throw in for Telstra customers.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Cats bad, Crows worse, mods knew

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Schlesische posted:

Cats bad, Crows worse, mods knew

I really expected the Crows to lose that. I'll eat my words.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Oh for fucks sakes Horks.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Two losses to the loving lions... did Hodgey bribe someone in the offseason or does Fagan just know the team and tactics inside out to that degree?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The way the weagles played after he went down strongly suggested life after NicNat. If Lycett also goes down, you're hosed but outside of that I'd still rate the weagles 2nd rn (a long, looooooooooong way behind Richmond at the G).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Could be worse. Imagine missing the 8 with a loss to Carlton
:negative:

Two 5+ goal losses to Brisbane.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

IDGI what's the IPA and who's that bearded guy

Institute of Public Affairs, the most prominent ?Neoconservative? Think Tank in Australia. Every now and then a piece emerges from them that's vaguely critical of a Liberal policy, but in general they're all shitbags.

Having said that, every team has its own fair share of fuckwit supporters. Hell, West Coast has elevated "fuckwit supporters" into an art form.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Why not try this poo poo out in the preseason for a few years before bringing it in

They've been trialling it at different clubs training sessions for most of the last two years. Don't want anything getting in the way of AFL-W AFLX.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Shame his shoulders and back are gonna be cooked by game 150. Look at all the dead weight the poor bastard has to cart around every game.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

I don't even recall poo poo being this contentious and ludicrous under Demetriou's tenure. The game just "worked" and he developed it into a branded, money making powerhouse. Then lanky fuckallforbrains comes along and year in year out it's just been stupid idea after stupid idea. The only thing good to come from Gil's posting is the AFLW comp, but that would've been set in motion well before his promotion.

He's been pushing towards it for years (even as Demetriou's deputy) and is pretty much the only reason it's as big as it is.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

fuckkkkk you Sydney.

Not only because gently caress You Sydney is always in effect, but also because you've lifted the lid on Bombers fans who thought this season was a wash.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Just to remind everyone there's another game on, by saying:
fucken lol Gold Coast, way to spend all that currency you earned in that one win

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Pretty amazing that Lewis has only been suspended for 12 weeks over his career

FREE KICK HAWTHORN

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snoremac posted:

Move Melb vs GWS to Friday, Power vs Bombers to Saturday, West Coast vs Bris to Saturday, have one Sunday game. How do they gently caress this up.

They have to have 3 Sunday games on a full week for Fox related reasons.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Harley Balic has retired. Who'd Freo draft at 66?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

Can't wait to see who he goes to (it will be hawthorn because it's always loving hawthorn)

I mean, yes please... but I don't think so.
Just feel there are other clubs with more cash and a more appealling offer right now.

But yes please.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

This will make it even worse when they win

I don't think Melbourne are capable of a Melbourning that big.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Gaffs season over?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

I think we should ban him for life.

Staggering overreaction imho.
12 would be super harsh too.

My take on it is a guy who went for a chest punch (which is dumb and should get stamped out on its own), went high clumsily and smashed Brayshaw through the jaw (Bugg, for contrasts sake, hit Mills near the ear). I don't really see Barry Hall 2.0 in Gaff either.

His season should be over and he should miss the first few weeks of next season. I'd predict 7, he'll miss the last 4 games of this season and the first 3 of next.

Banning him because "it's a bad look for the game" feels like a stupid knee jerk reaction especially when you're having a debate about exactly that right now, as all this is going on and not once - NOT ONCE - have you brought up all the "microaggression" that goes on in a footy game because "it shows you're tough!".
No-one thinks Andrew Gaff was tough and I'd struggle to believe that there are juniors thinking "I can do that too!", especially not with the footage of Gaff sitting on the sidelines with his head in his hands less than 5 minutes later.

Leigh Matthews calling for a Red Card is one of the most staggeringly :ironicat: statements ever.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 6, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I don’t think there has ever been this much interest in a tribunal hearing ever. You’ve got random lawyers saying “the police should charge him with attempted murder” and random Victorians who don’t know any WA players saying “ban this Geoff guy for like 1 year!” It’s nuts.

However, as soon as Wayne Carey sticks up for your dirty act, you know you’re a piece of poo poo lol

When he signs with the Demons next year this will all be conveniently forgotten.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1026762055242543104

8 matches.
Feels about right (for the current system).

Won't mean a thing when AFL house decides not to follow it up with anything.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

spamman posted:

The Hall/Staker punch absolutely got this much attention.

Bugg's hit last year didn't (iirc) and a lot of the conversation we're getting now has either emerged or evolved in the (I'm guessing) decade since Hall's king hit.
We're still someone's career ending because of a punch away from actually doing anything that might stop it. Probably more than one.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 7, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

Consider this is a dumb question as I have the same amount of knowledge about the NFL as I do about having a successful relationship, but isn't the NFL (like the NBA) split into different conferences, so making it impossible for every team to play one another?

Other way around.
They had a decent length season and didn't want to extend it too far (I guess they were worried about competing against Baseball?) so when the two leagues merged they didn't make it a full H&A season but broke it down into Divisions and stuff.

The exact reasoning behind this isn't entirely clear, but the NFL was:
1) A fully established sport with a massive fanbase and strong TV rights
2) Had a full complement of teams (24 immediately post merger and quickly up to 28 by 1970) and has a pretty decently long season
3) Didn't go full gimmick mode with dumb poo poo like smaller balls, teams and experimental rules (The American Football League did all this tho)

I've got no loving idea what AFL house is trying with the ?2020? AFL-W season. Is Channel 7 chucking a hissy over being forced to broadcast AFL-W?

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 10, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

racing identity posted:

How does "Premiership players Toby Greene and Jeremy Cameron" sound to you?

I mean people were fine with "Norm Smith and Brownlow medalist Dustin 'hasn't learned a loving thing' Martin".
Toby Greene and Jeremy Cameron are just peachy in comparison.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Twins? Max and Ben King hey, might get one, but I'm betting the other won't last until your priority pick at 19/20

St Kilda might be okay with packaging that unprotected Hawks first rounder. Now that it almost certainly won't slip into the top 10.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

If we flat tracked properly we would have beat st kilda and likely be playing finals

Hawthorn beating Geelong, North Norfing and Port suffering PTSD flashbacks but in real time to the Eagles have probably not made a huge impact to your finals chances. Last 3 weeks were always going to be hit or miss and arguably the easiest 2 of the 3 weeks are still to come against an injury (:rip: NicNats knee and Gaffs brain) ravaged West Coast and an injury cursed GWS.

Hell Hawthorn lost twice to Brisbane. loving BRISBANE. And we're one win from the finals.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

cmndstab posted:

Honestly, I know anything can happen and it's still a number of weeks away, but I'm struggle to see anyone coming close to competing with Richmond this year. It seems like every other team is unreliable and can't string together wins, or can't play in Melbourne, or whatever.

I don't think West Coast can do it, I don't trust GWS's form, and somehow I still struggle to rate Hawthorn this year. Who else is going to do it? I just don't see it.

Maybe we can have a word to the AFL about trialling out their new rules in the GF?

I could see a variety of teams who could potentially beat Richmond. I have a hard time seeing any team probably beating Richmond.

They're eminently beatable, but with West Coast, GWS and (let's not kid ourselves here) Sydney having injury issues and the other finals hopefuls looking a half step off at best... I think we'll see some great games in the finals, but the Grand Final looks like a free win for Richmond.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

is there any scenario where the demons lose the remaining 2 games but still make finals due to their percentage?

if so i could see that as most likely, limping into finals having not won any of the previous games, getting smashed in the first week, and everyone gets to say 'at least we made it?'

There are 4 teams to watch:
Port can't win another game. They have Collingwood in Melbourne and Essendon in Adelaide.
None of Geelong (Freo, GCS), North (Adelaide, StK) or Essendon (Richmond, PA) can win out.
If any 2 of those 4 teams accomplish this, and Melbourne lose their remaining games then they're out.

Percentage is almost irrelevant due to how ridiculously high Melbourne's is. If they do miss it'll probably still be over 125% which would have to be the highest not to make the finals in recent history.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

Thank gently caress someone has the same opinion of Chris Scott as I have. For someone with the talent he has in the team, god drat he's made some poor decisions.

It cuts both ways. Geelong have way too many passengers, but Scott also makes befuddling decisions and they don't seem to have kept up with Hawthorn, Sydney and West Coast "tactically".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BT or Basil Zempilas, take your pick.

Also, I see West Coast have decided to wait for next week to lock down 2nd.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Personally I don’t think that’s a record that you give a 3 year extension to a year before he even comes out of contract.

Especially not when you look at the top end talent he has access to.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Periphery posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/struggling-afl-clubs-may-get-access-to-players-from-state-leagues-20180822-p4zz47.html

I don't mind the idea to give bottom clubs priority access to state league players, but I'm not sure it's a real solution. It relies on their being state league players that can play AFL and just because we've had a few in the last couple of year, it doesn't mean it'll keep happening.

Forcing a club to trade a priority pick is stupid because it instantly creates a sellers market and would for them to trade even if there wasn't any good options to trade for. All that'd do is benefit the clubs above the ones getting a PP.

I agree with everything here except possibly the wording.

Maybe a second total lottery pick? A pick that could be anywhere from say 2 (assuming they only have one team needing a priority pick) to 19. Having two first rounders could potentially net you a decent player, while the in built randomness prevents it from being a slam dunk sure thing that you absolutely have to hold on to.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-22/dud-against-hawks-kennett-pokes-the-buddy-bear#/

gently caress YOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU JEFF KENNETT.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

Nice mispost in the Auspol thread.

He was being interviewed on ABC News 24 at that time.
Jeff Kennett can absolutely go gently caress off and die and I will always have that approach when I see him on TV not surrounded by freshly minted premiership winning Hawks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

TOP-FOURTHORN BABY