Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

realbez posted:

The tigers are a big ask but we can beat everyone else in the 8.

I don't think there's anyone that genuinely doesn't belong in the top 8, and this September looks like a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drunkill posted:

I guess we've got Sam Mitchell in the bag then.

Not necessarily.
Maybe you're coming off a season so poo poo that the coaches and football department managers are desperately looking for scapegoats that aren't them.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Finals week 1... woooh thats a spicy meatball.

This September looks the goods.
I could realistically see any of these teams winning a flag.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 26, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

There’s only like three non corporate tickets available for the grand final anyway, you’d think they could cope with that

There's like 300,000 people trying to snare a ticket.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

I would put VERY little faith on anything going around Bigfooty right now. The entire place is a whipped up frenzy of stupid and a lot of conjecture is being taken as gospel because it fits their narratives.

Sounds like Big Footy.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

We will push for finals again next year without a doubt in mind. There are absolutely flaws in the list and gameplan but better line coaches, development from both within and out and bringing in playres will iron that poo poo out considerably.

Source.
Your.
Quotes.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

I can’t see St Kilda losing another game this year

If they play an intrasquad game I absolutely see everyone losing.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The ball is a bar of soap is what happened. You'd expect better from guys who help define veterancy.

Dustin Martin is unstoppable. God I loving hate him.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Is this channel 9? Is Eddie being allowed a whole loving 15 minute segment to flog his own team?

Fox?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Prime Minister Sharks at the footy, good to see he plans on one upping Malcs attempt at pretending yo give a poo poo about the better code.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Horks have arrived

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Hawks are getting loving killed.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I hope the Hawks show up and win, beginning us all on the path to Fourthorn, but I'm okay with the Dees winning.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Quantum Shart posted:

The AFL has tabled a policy on transgender athletes that is taken from international standards so they haven't "done nothing".

theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-transgender-policy-on-the-table-20180815-p4zxpl.html

Her announcement afterwards seems like she does not want to go under medical scrutiny to play? Which is fair enough but don't then turn around and say they're not doing anything

They have international standard rules, sure, but they're tag teaming them with requiring the player to do it all on their end rather than an organizational plan.
Everything around the AFL-W has been amateur hour, which is a shame because the skill level has improved markedly in two years and the games are more of a spectacle than they were.

realbez posted:

I thought it was only mandatory if you assaulted a cop

Ambos too.
(I think it was brought in specifically after some Ambos got assaulted, expect the actual incident to appear in a Liberal attack ad during the run up to the election.)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Testekill posted:

AFLW is going to have a conference system next year because gently caress anyone that wants women's sport to be a thing I suppose.

Old news.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

:rip: Jaeger's knee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I see Hawthorn are going with Melbourne's tried and tested "more shots means more wins, right?" strategy.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

How the gently caress is it play on when the player tries to stop as soon as the dumb fuckwit blows his loving whistle

It was called play on, then was passed to Jones who decided he didn't really like that idea. If the guy before had held it, sure.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

So uhh...
Last time Hawthorn were bundled out in straight sets, it was to the team that went on to win the flag?

Lid off, or on?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

at least Richmond-Collingwood can't be the Grand Final.

Fully expecting the resulting meltdown following the Collingwood-Richmond Prelim to result in the game being moved to Perth.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Amazing what happens when an entrenched and under performing boys club gets broken up and replaced by competent people

Same thing happened in the NHL with Toronto.
Key difference: Melbourne fans are never ever going to be anywhere near as insufferable as Toronto Maple Leafs fans.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Collingwood good?

No, Richmond must be bad.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Is Cox giving Rance an absolute bath?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

alr posted:

Enabling a happy Eddie Mcguire and potentially a Pies flag feels very not good

If the Pies make it over the line, the Grand Final Footy show will be thermonuclear smug Eddie levels.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

About the only breaking even for Richmond is Riewoldt. Everyone else having a shocker

Castagna is quietly having a great game imho

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

realbez posted:

Hawks won the vflw 😊

And the VFL!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Hawthorn win the VFL premiership, and have the Brownlow medalist.

I'd call that a good season.

VFL and VFL-W thank you very much.

I also like how Tom Mitchell keeps talking about preparation less than 5 minutes after admitting his old "night before game" meal was:
- a box of BBQ Shapes
- Starburst
- something else equally unhealthy

Nutsngum posted:

Mitchell is simultaneously the least damaging footballer in the competition and also single handedly kept Hawthorn's midfield afloat. I call this... a wasted chance to give Gawn the Brownlow.

Last year was entirely just stat-padding, this year it's just mostly stat-padding.
(He is definitely more damaging this year and while it felt like he was playing for a mysterious third team for large stretches of last year, he has definitely merged his gamestyle with what Clarko and the coaches have planned for him more this year IMHO)

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 24, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I'm not. The Swans value purposeful and direct possessions in their midfield.

Mitchell is like Rockliff and Matt Crouch, a low damage accumulator. They have their place on a football field, but are vastly overrated based on nothing more than total possessions. Didn't deserve the medal, but hardly surprising that he won it given the "midfielders medal", general brain dead nature of the umpires, and the football media who propelled the narrative.

I mean, if I was picking from the league to make a balanced, competitive midfield, Mitchell wouldn't be in it.

He fell into the same situation as John Kennedy had in the late-2000s at Hawthorn. There wasn't a Mitchell shaped hole in the Sydney midfield until after he'd been traded.

IMHO, his contributions this year have been massive and he's been the midfield workhorse. O'Meara has grown immensely as a player, Isaac Smith has had impressive run and carry and Liam Shiels provides more than he will likely ever get credit for but the Hawks don't sniff the finals if Mitchell isn't in the squad. Go back and look at the time line-up for the Semi-final vs Melbourne. Take Mitchell out of that midfield and replace him with Jono O'Rourke. Tell me how far you think that midfield is going to get.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Periphery posted:

Mitchell shouldn't have got it cause he should have been suspended for intentionally elbowing a player in the face.

Also the umpires shouldn't be the ones voting on this. Just make it the coaches votes as they are clearly in the best position to decide it.

Those are my hot takes. Thanks for reading.

I'm assuming you know who won the CA "Champion player" this year then.

Fun fact: the coaches have awarded Gerard Whateley "Best Journo" 4 years in a row.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snoremac posted:

I think Richmond’s non-dominance was exposed in every loss this year when teams (Adel, Port, GWS, Coll, WC) shot ahead early by 30+ points and revealed they have no fallback plan if their defensive structure is broken through. Great strategy but poor tactical response. Carlton broke through it too but it was Carlton so they still lost.

Good system, terrible coaching?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

If you didn't get a horse to back during the match between the Bondi Billionaires and the Leafy Inner East Private Schoolers I don't know what to tell you.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

For starters Richmond's is the best by a country mile and the idea that ours is worse then Norfs is laughable.

Also a legit good grand final for once AND collingwood choking on their own bathwater makes for a good end for a terrible season.

HEARTS TO HEARTS AND HANDS TO HANDS BENEATH THE SOUTHERN CROSS WE STAND WE SHOUT GOD BLESS OUR NATIVE LAND NORTH MELBOURNE NORTH MELBOURNE OUT WE COME OUT WE COME OUT WE COME TO PLAY JUST FOR RECREATIONS SAKE TO PASS THE TIME AWAY LOTS OF FUN HEAPS OF FUN ENJOY YOURSELVES TODAY NORTH MELBOURNE BOYS ARE HARD TO BEAT WHEN THEY RUN OUT TO PLAY

The best song for the words is between the Tiges, Dees and Norf.
Best song for the melody is between the Hawks, Swans and Geelong.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

can't abide the Swans song simply because it uses Notre Dame's fight song as the base, which should automatically rule it out from any discussion of best.

Normally, I'd agree. But there is one thing the Sydney Swans Club song has that the Notre Dame Fight song doesn't.

Two words: Banjo. Solo.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Before the 1972 Summit Series, a journalist predicted that the USSR wouldn't beat Canada in a single game. To make it stronger he declared that if he was wrong he would eat his prediction, shredded in a bowl of borscht (he did, in fact, eat his words).

Robert Walls should have to eat his prediction shredded in a Perth delicacy. Molten Iron feels about right.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 29, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

I think the Wangaratta Rovers have a song based on "Click go the Shears" (they're the Hawks and play in Hawks colours but don't go with the Happy Team one, Wangaratta has too many syllables and also too much a reference to their next-door rivals)

Subiaco has the same style of song.
I think it's set to the tune behind battlehymn of the republic.

teacup posted:

Also lol to the articles about “spare a thought for gaff” “one moment of madness”

gently caress off with this culture of footy players not being responsible for their actions.

He's going to get PAID by Norf next year and will probably never win one.
Of the two chances he had, he forgot to show up to one and tried to knock someone's block off for the other.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 30, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Is that boat sinking?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

thepokey posted:

Imagine getting ready to go to the footy and putting on your best poo and wee coloured attire

Mate, if your pee is that yellow you should probably go see a doctor.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spedman posted:

You don’t think someone in their right mind would get this tattoo?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZnZA5tBsB5/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=9lq2bd3dnwqv

Why we resigned him mid year I’ll never know

He has So. Much. Potential.
It's just been ruined by being at the Gold Coast and then Freo.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spedman posted:

I can’t help but think there’s a big series of trades the AFL wants to hold back to help make the Fox Footy telecast of the draft tomorrow night an “event”

Fox/ESPN does the same thing with NFL, NBA and NHL trade deadline days.
NHL deadline is usually loving dead because all the big moves happen without any pressure.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Kelly staying at Geelong

The whole compensation thing is what makes thr AFLs free agency thing a bit weird.
Look at the NA sports and its basically "gently caress it, you're not resigning so we're trading you for a bag of used pucks/deflated balls/hoop nets", but if Kelly plays well and gets a high enough contract offer from West Coast or Freo then the Cats are going to be happy see him go.

thepokey posted:

I'm hoping he can go to another level under us like we took Dev Smith to.

I don't see Shiel jumping to another level without Essendon going back to the fringes of sports science.
Its possibly overs but its not ludicrously so.

Burton for Wingard would be a good example of overs.