Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Noice.

Also remind me to redo the banner of any club that decides to change its logo when no-one's looking.

EDIT:
Looks like Collingwood and West Coast to do so far... I'll have a poke at those at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Pies logo is shithouse. Eagles' is a bit derpy but we could get used to it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah the Falconry tag was the traditional one for AFL threads so it's good to see it back. (Although the I WANT TO BELIEVE one was appropriate for the Doggies)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

One thing I'm really looking forward to in the womens comp is the improved skill level. The regular comp last year had some pretty piss poor skills because of all the pro athletes that weren't really footballers. Ugly up and under kicks that went 25 meters. But the all star game later in the year was an absolute pearler, and it really showed the level the comp can rise to once it's predominantly filled with actual footballers and not fly by night athletes.
It was sort of weird because the first few weeks it was like that, but then the last couple of rounds something clicked and we started getting some decent scoring games.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

When does the footy-tipping start? Will there be a goon group for both AFL and AFLW? Howsabout Supercoach?
FootyTipping hasn't rolled over yet for some reason but if you were in it last year you should be automatically entered in it this year.

If you're new or got purged the link is thus:
http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/SASTips
pw: goons

Please add to one of the OPs.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I hope to put together a more sane simulation thingamy for this year but it's kind of on the backburner at the moment.

The system itself is also going to change a little bit, there's this weird thing where average results (both median and mean) is closer than each teams' relative ratings so I'm trying to account for that as well. Kind of interesting but also really dry.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

cmndstab posted:

I mean, obviously it depends on whether the players themselves mind or not. If they don't like it then we shouldn't do it. But people refer to male sports stars as "the boys" all the time.
Yeah there's a lot of problematic gendered language in sports coverage and out of them "boys" and "girls", while a bit obvious, is a fair way down the list because each term *seems* to get applied equally (although I would be very interested to see the numbers), unless people just don't like general infantilism.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Doesn’t look the same without a tooheys logo on the front imo
Doesn’t look the same without Little Robbie Flower in it

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Periphery posted:

Only if the season becomes an endless series of games with the Flag only being handed out to the first team to reach 1000 wins. At which point the win count resets and it instantly starts all over again. No off season, only football. All the time.
For some reason this reminds me of 17776
https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I'm sort of following GWS by default until Hawthorn bullies the AFL into submission but I'm fairly neutral.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

So, under-resourced train station, no car parking at the stadium, I can see that becoming a farce once the real poo poo takes off.

Be interesting to see what happens at the BBL semi this week since the traffic patterns will be more concentrated than yesterday.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I missed most of the discussion since I moved house last week and have finally gotten the net hooked up in the new crib.

Sort of wanted to weigh in on the toots but I figured it'd attract too many mansplainers.

- From what I can see most of the problem is skill and decision errors; that's not a slight on the women, it's just because with men they basically have a whole development pathway through the youth stages and train 5 days a week for most of the year, whereas before the AFLW was set up we had the women's state leagues which for the most part about on the same level as VAFA, last year's setup was actually pretty rushed with teams being thrown together and not really being given time to cohere. Give them more time to develop those skills and team plans, they'll get better for sure.

It'll take a few years to get there I think - we do have to be patient. Although the Carl v Coll game was a bit rough some of the other matches seemed to be better scoring so I think we'll see a general improvement this season over last. Without any dumb directives from AFL House needed.

I also reckon the time-on rules need to be the same as the men's league. Maybe still have the quarters 15 minutes, but in actual terms that'll work out to be 21-23 minutes. But they could also easily be 20 minutes without too many problems, except for broadcasters' schedules I suspect.

And god the boundary rules need to be switched back to the default as well.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Maybe this will be the true Chaosball.

Anyway gotta see how awful this turns out. I'm not sure how they've tweaked the rules but it seems like there'll be a lot of tap-kick-goal a la Buddy vs Collingwood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXapmPH3a30&t=79s

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Periphery posted:

They are just setting testing the waters for AFLXXX. Mixed gender teams and players remove an item of clothing after each goal.
I was thinking more along the lines of Vin Diesel but OK

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Could work as a rec thing like AFL 9s. Which I suppose is the intention.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

To float some ideas that are a bit far-fetched, but I guess no more far-fetched than the idea of playing rules on a soccer pitch:

If they wanted to make it more "serious" and have a single premier at the end of it, this is one thing they could do to sort of make it along the lines of rugby sevens tournaments:

Add two invitational teams to make it up to 20 - since the squads are so small you could possibly have scratch teams from what's left. Make one Indigenous and then have the second, I dunno, Tasmanians or something.

4 pools of 5 teams. Each team would play four games then, so each pool would need 10 games to sort those out, or 40 games all up. It's something where you could split each pool's games at one venue, like they're sort of doing anyway, and you could knock over 10 games in a late afternoon/evening. Incidentally this means each club gets 80 minutes playing time.

If you wanted to show every game on TV (with no concurrency) you'd probably have to run this over 4 days, so it's awkward.

Obviously, then you could take the top two from each pool and bring the final eight to one venue and have the knockout rounds in a single evening. 7 games, so you might make the playing times a bit longer.

Just one thought. I cannot see it happening myself but I do kind of like having a pre-season premiership that we haven't had for a while, even if it is bullshit mickey-mouse games on square pitches.

18 clubs is a bit tougher to break down but then we'd get the AFL's favourite thing, the half-arsed compromise!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

In other :catdrugs: AFL news, AFL Evolution is actually on sale on Steam.

As in 25% off, so it's still nearly AUD50, but anyway.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

ESPN's name was more or less made up early by broadcasting weird-as-poo poo (to yanks) sports like VFL before they started getting taken seriously and getting decent deals. It's kind of been on the outer since they got bought by Disney and and the major leagues getting more into direct streaming, though.

When the VFL did try playing exhibition games it was usually on baseball diamonds (I think when they held them in Miami and Tokyo this was the case) - it made for a really weird shaped field for footy but at least the dimensions were such that you could play it properly with three decent kicks needed to go from goal to goal.

Thing is there's also a bit of cricket propagandising happening in the US and China in fits and starts so it's possible that the AFL could piggyback on the back of that.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Turns out north fans not only exist, they are the stupidest people alive.

https://twitter.com/fionakenndal/status/964428196484493313
dafuq

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah I thought it might be better having a dog in the fight but yeah it's meh. Keep developing it as a rec game maybe but it made me appreciate centre bounces again.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

lol the ground is basically empty at the aflx today
Nine thou, apparently. Most of the crowd was on the non-broadcast side, I'm not sure how hot it was in Sydney in the sunshine but it's like... well, it's OK for what was basically a weird experiment.

Was glad when the Carlton-Brisbane AFLW game came on because it was like the goals actually had to be earned! Slow start but it got better.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Just glad it wasn't one of ours for a change

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Testekill posted:

Hearing from some sources that the Bulldogs literally flew in the morning of the Sydney tournament, had our only AFLX training session 45 minutes prior to the first game and went to the airport as soon as our second game was over

edit: Rohan Smith did come out and say we took it seriously but in literally the most half-assed non apology ever.
Can't really blame them. I guess with the Lions it was like "let's actually try to win something" but they ended up with a big X that looked like something you pick up at the Reject Shop.

I hope they don't do it again because it's taken out the first week of the preseason where the teams would play around the country.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

what are they competing for

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Dawwww...
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-02-21/browny-inspires-collingwood
(the player Collingwood, not the club)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Nice to see good scoring in the AFLW even if it was only one side managing it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I think the early 00s when flooding was all the rage was possibly the nadir, not so bad having high-pressure around the ball (like mid-nougties Swans) but when teams were throwing bodies into defence while sacrificing their own attacking, that wasn't so great.

I think when the Doggies blotted Essendon's copybook in 2000 with the flooding, less "capable" teams seem to take that on as a model for a while.

Since Geelong decided to take things the other way, followed by Hawthorn and Collingwood I think footy started getting pretty good again. That's partly why I enjoyed watching the 2007 GF so much even though I was a neutral and it was a complete blowout.

(Of course I enjoyed the next year even more, but still...)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

It was bad enough when they got rid of the magoos

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

BTW has anyone had any trouble putting their tips in?

I keep getting the emails saying REACTIVATE YOUR COMP NOWWWW but as far as I'm aware it's working OK.

I did purge anyone who hasn't logged in since 2016 so if you're one of these people who completely slept over Richmond's premiership year... yeah.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Even in just words that makes me wince.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I like the idea of someone from the Black Diamond league being called up as an enforcer for two weeks

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Windmill Hut posted:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/07/major-finals-shake-up-on-the-cards-for-2019/

I'm torn about this.

You could argue that it gives less teams a guaranteed finals spot (from 8 down to 6), which rewards better performance. The flipside argument is that it rewards mediocrity by expanding the amount of teams who qualify to make 'finals' (8 up to 10). More teams will now qualify for finals than those who miss out, which is stupid.
It is stupid and kind of makes that last home-and-away round a wash if the middling teams get a second chance, but it's preferable to 17/5 though (they probably still want to do that too).

EDIT: Oh Garry Lyon said this OK (takes with grain of salt)

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 8, 2018

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

More people were watching television about people watching television

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I don't hear banjos. What have they done with the banjos.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

spamman posted:

Ah crap, they've discovered cartilage damage in Birchall's knee and now he's out for the first half of the season.
Fffff

Back to the song debacle, didn't the Cat Empire dude do the Giants song and actually use real horns?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I don't know who even holds the rights to the good recordings but that's probably why the AFL produced these travesties.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

It's weird when I try out all the weird end-of-season scenarios and usually they all get mucked up by the early result.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Since we're on the topic I've finally nutted out my new sim model (which I can also use for game-by-game probabilities) so the next couple of evenings I'll be putting that up on the site.

Haven't done the whole season sim but I kind of feel those are pretty sketchy until mid-season anyway.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Perko is going to front up for the Hawks in the VWFL yassss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Spedman posted:

Did someone put the blues shorts in the wash with the jumpers?
Those are absolute shockers. And I can (barely) remember the gold away shorts of the 70s and 80s.