Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I've been running some highly scientific simulations and I think it's putting out some pretty accurate predictions (aside from the fact that I forgot to delete lindsay thomas before starting the season)

Jesus, necking tinnies on the couch has really pushed the Melbourne players into a new category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

the new training regime of "not getting concussed by bricks" has really helped

Are you denying the allegations that Melbourne football club players are soft and likely do bumper bowling when going to the local AMF?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Mate, I’d resign my membership tomorrow if I found out our players went and did something as working class as bowling.

Touche.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Toby Greene is literally going to roundhouse kick a child in the face. An ethnic child.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

I love how mad Essendon fans are getting over the eSports team. So many "this is why we can't win premierships anymore, we spend all our time on computer games!" and when Raz played a game against a pro there were lots of "great strat by the club, playing games rather than being out on the park practicing goal kicking". How do people not stop to think "ok I'm sure players are allowed to have some down time and don't train 24/7, and we haven't won a flag in 18 years, and the esports team has been around for 6 months, so it's probably not the reason we haven't been winning flags".

Also, the esports logo looks better than our main logo

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

spamman posted:

Oh ok. I sit next to the MCC usually but have no idea what actually goes on in there across the fence.

Lots of butt hole tonguing of Liberal party constituents.

Usually by young liberals.

Solemn Sloth posted:

And that’s the way we like it :argh:

Case in point.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I like that the MCC literally cuts the MCG in half and the best theyve come up with is an awful tiny tunnel up on lvl 3 to feed "the masses" around the "important bits". Much like the east west link was intended to do.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

And by "like" I mean "line them up against the wall. viva le revolution"

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Holy poo poo this is loving excellent

https://youtu.be/HMtI93aK97I

NAB continues to kill it with their footy ad campaigns (despite them being a loving bank) and this is top notch work.

Once again the sponsors of the AFLW do a better job promoting the women's competition than the AFL does.

Speaking of... game day! FOOTY IS BACK FOR 2018 gently caress YES :getin: get your rear end to an aflw match this season it is free and it is classic suburban footy from the 90s. Download the aflw app too.

Remember to fill out the footy tips too or join the competition (see OP)

Linking the ad again because it owns bones https://youtu.be/HMtI93aK97I

Comments disabled for this video. Welp.

Pretty awesome video though.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

I think most of their ads are disabled because you'd just get people saying gently caress banks.

I too would wish this to be true but we both know it wouldnt be.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Watching the Lions/Crows game and I can tell you right now that the biggest thing that will change the womens game is the improvement in coaching.

Yeah the skills arent yet fantastic but I see far more issue with player's running patterns and zoning then anything else. Often players are handballing to empty space because they haven't trained enough to rely on team mates getting to the contest and supporting properly.

Im not sure what coaching staff were installed for the teams but the AFL need to pump money into getting good coaches into the ranks and really push good game plans and structure. Will make a HUGE different in my opinion.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

That was a loving joke of a decision. How can you tunnel someone from the front?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

15 minute quarters are one of the reasons why the scoring is garbage. You have literally half the game time of the mens league. Double that score and suddenly two of the four games have reasonable score lines.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think the shorter quarters are at least in part because they’re playing in February and are not full time professional athletes?

Im a oval office who can barely run on two shoddy Achiles tendons with asthma who spends fridays before the game smoking durries and drinking piss and I can still run out 4 x 25minute quarters (no time on warming the bench in the ressies mate) so that excuse is grade A dick beating.

cmndstab posted:

It sure makes for a great spectacle watching a player shepherd the ball out of bounds when both they and an opponent have plenty of time to take possession, and being rewarded for it with a free kick.

It's excellent when a kick to a loose forward is slightly overcooked and ends up dribbling out of bounds and a defender gets a free kick for it. Much more exciting than a stoppage ten metres from goal!

I love watching a player put their body on the line in a one-on-three situation in the defensive pocket, win the ball, boot it down the line, only to have it bounce left instead of right and have a free kick result, completely nullifying their sacrifice and effort. Guess they should have booted it into the middle of the defensive 50 instead and hoped it wasn't marked by a forward!

It's brilliant when a speedy player gets the ball, decides to take on a defender by running past them boundary side, handballs to the ground to avoid being tackled with the ball, and it goes left and now it's a free kick against.

And it's awesome when there is a sudden turnover, the ball is kicked to your closest teammate to goal, and they look forward and realise the goals are 60m away and there are two defenders ahead of them. They can't really expect to run past them, and the goals are too far away. No point going forward because the only options are the ball goes out of bounds and it's a free kick against, or it stays in and they collect it anyway. Bad luck! Nice turnover, though! Guess you should just turn around and kick the ball backwards to a contest instead!

Thanks for improving the spectacle, AFL! You loving pills.

This oval office knows whats up.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Testekill posted:

Just saw that Carlton vs Western Bulldogs in round 4 is the pride game. What a loving joke that Carlton are getting it when they released a statement saying that they were going to pick sit on the fence and not pick sides.

I guess it depends on how many gay women play for Carlton. If theyre are more then other teams it would make sense.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

afl 9s is bad

aflx may be worse but lets wait and see all of our suspicions confirmed

This is pretty much why. 9 a side is 2 players too many and the turnover rules are grade A garbage.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

On SEN today apparently:

:ironicat:

When the doctor asks you to come see him in his trailer after work to do the injections then fails to create any record or paperwork you might then have an issue.

Oh wait, the doctor DIDNT do any injections did he. Nice one idiots.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Im not sure what you people are whinging about. It looks like a fun local sports comp game WHICH IS WHAT ITS DESIGNED TO BE.

Bigfooty is leaking again.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Except Gil was on before talking about how the lack of suitable grounds overseas is a key impediment to sending AFL overseas. The fact that it may be a fun little game to play with your mates on the weekend is not the key aim of this. The AFL clearly wants a game it can use to market footy overseas and thinks it needs to radically change to the game to do that.

However, I think most people have pretty quickly recognised that attacking footy is only exciting if you have to work for it. AFLX shifts the atk/def dial way too far in one direction and as such comes out as pretty one dimensional and bland. OF course I turned it off half way through so I'm not going off the biggest sample size, but I'll watch the Saints tomorrow night and reassess.

But thats my point, it isnt meant to be a spectacular battle, its meant to get people involved in actually playing which will translate to viewership of the actual game.

Watching it played on an actual soccer sized pitch does make me think it has a chance pulling people in. Its an immediate familiarity other countries will have and the general lack of congestion is much more akin to soccer then actual aussie rules games.

I have no idea if its actually going to work but the AFL will have to have put SOME money into research into the validity of it all.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Just like all pre-season games the super goals are really retarded and warp score lines pretty quickly.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

AFLX is still boring even when your team is playing.

The meltdown on Bigfooty isn't however. The stretch some of them are making about players is absolutely nuts. Its a 20 minute almost no contact training drill ffs.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Wow weird the guy who kept getting injured before they recruited him keeps getting injured after they recruited him,

here’s looking at you kid, we’ll always have aflx

https://twitter.com/senfooty/status/966096018000379907

At this point I only want to really see him play some games and dont expect him to make the impact we once hoped but he hasnt actually torn it again and is still a potential for JLT2.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Was reading the last few comments and was hearing the bloos got pantsed and as I was opening afl.com to check the scores I thought, heh probably bad but wont be something like 80 to 10.

Whelp.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Windmill Hut posted:

fyi you can get foxtel for $39 a month with sport, HD, no installation fee and no fee for the iq3 box. no contract either

Why dont I just fund the liberal party coffers directly huh huh?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

As an independent watcher, these JLT games are somewhat boring. Cant really get a guage on how teams are going either due to lack of intensity.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

I don't really see why anyone would care if clubs can't warm up 40min before a game? Particularly if it means we get more VFL games beforehand. More fan engagement I can live without though.

I will care if injuries increase from not being able to do a proper warmup in the change rooms.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

173k viewers means the old duck probably aint long for this world. 24 years is a heck of a run but I havent watched the show since the early aughts I'd say.

Channel 9 are dumb as bricks. The show needs an entire cleanout of everyone and start afresh.

Chris Judd is about the only inspired inclusion theyve thought of in a long time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Hopefully, then round 6 can be known as chaos round.

Also, we beat the hawks again! 2 in a row!

We scored over 100 in a shorter than normal game! yaaay!

Carlton 2018 premiership confirmed

JLT games were all standard length .

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/974386001224372224

yewwww beauty! 3 year extension until 2022, noice.

Also, afl fixtures and scores are finally on google, only a few years late. aflw as well.

Dunno if im liking this trend of extending draftees who havent even finished their first pre-season yet.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Melbourne Demons, in name, spirit and chumpiness.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Melbourne post season trip and actual season rolled into one.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

So if you use the idea of every team being an even chance to win the premiership to establish to what degree a team has done better or worse than their expected average since their last premiership.

Essentially this is a percentile ranking of how good teams are at failing to be the most recent premier

(these numbers do account for different numbers of teams in the comp at different times)

Team | What % of teams would be expected to have won at least one more premiership since their last
RIC N/A
WBD 5.56%
HAW 10.8%
SYD 24.86%
GEE 29.03%
GWS 29.03%
COL 33.21%
GCS 33.21%
WCE 48.40%
PTA 54.65%
BRI 57.49%
ESS 64.97%
NME 67.16%
ADE 69.21%
CAR 74.63%
FRE 74.63%
STK 97.65%
MEL 98.02%

Hey look on the bright side, youre beating everyone else on percentage for the first time in 2 years!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

That Essendon player just ducked half his body height to draw a free and was paid it. WTF you useless umpires.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

What a pack of useless wanks you are Adelaide.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Carlton are not going to be a half decent side this year. They caught a rusty Richmond off guard and had a totally dysfunctional backline. Round 1 is often filled with weird results when viewed in context of the greater season, don't get excited about them.

Bombers could be alright though.

I AM A MORON WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND HOW ROUNDS WORK

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Robinson you staging grub. You 100% knew you didnt get hit in the head then and still dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/watch-a-melbourne-fan-in-a-pub-melt-down-when-the-dees-lost

lol

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

All this talk about the bump makes me lament Lachie's (possibly) busy hands.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hard to imagine why anyone would want to leave this entirely normal football club and state

Ive spoken to people last year about how Adelaide seemed a little "off" in the way they go about certain things. This was right around the time of Lever leaving and everyone flipping out over it.

I described it as a "cult like mentality" back then and now hearing about this camp I feel right on the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Stop arguing about how terrible Adelaide and its players are (very) and instead enjoy some of the best moments of historie's most loved player.
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-03-27/fantastic-five-lennys-best-moments

Should have made it 6 and included when he bumped Paul Chapman into an early grave but mushing Swan into the grand final turf never ceases to give me a stiffy.