Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

harperdc posted:

and from the way he's defensive you'd imagine it's all Tex's idea too :v:

More like "idea he was convinced was awesome good!" because nothing I have ever seen or read about Walker indicates a lot of brains underneath that mullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

That was one of the worst games of footy I've ever seen the Saints play. The skills were non-existent, the contested ball was loving weak as piss (lost the count by 31!), and we were completely unorganized all over the ground. loving pathetic and if we keep playing like this we'll be hard pressed to win more than 5 games for the season.

At the very least I have a much shorter distance this year if I want to burn the club down.

I think that literally was the worst match Ive seen, at least live. Ive seen us get smashed before in the spoon years, even against Essendon last year but at those where when we were garbage or against at least a reasonable team.

What we showed yesterday was a complete breakdown of mental fortitude. Just about all those players have shown before how good they can play and about four of them brought it with them. I really have no loving idea.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Weird Sandwich posted:

Carltons decision not to play any ruckman going about as well as you'd expect.

Could it be we arent the most insipid team this round??

*EDIT, WRONG CARLTON KICKED A GOAL.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Go lions! Make this weekend better please! Freo is doing their part!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Big fan of dunstall and brereton both telling slobbo to his face that they don’t give a gently caress about his articles

Lol, where was this?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

huh?

Edit so I don't double post:

Just in case anyone missed how poo poo the Saints entries inside 50 are:

https://twitter.com/SunFootyShow/status/982788157375565824

This is primarily why I haven't been freaking out over McCartin's performance so far this year. Not even Buddy could polish this turd.

I dont disagree we suck at forward entries but those examples arent very good. Half are under really high pressure. Asking Dunstan to fire a handball at full pace through two crows players to hit up Ross running away from him is utter nonsense.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

What a hill to die on

He aint really wrong though. He and his old man are cut from the same cloth.

It also means we wont have to play him next week so blluuuuurppp...pp.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

Essendon 13th, which honestly is probably about where we’ll be at the end of the year too. Those media folk who were touting us at top 4-6 were mad. Knew it at the time, you can hype Stringer, Smith, and Saad all you like, and to be fair, Smith has started real well. But without those actual good inside mids, and a steady defence (I hear that Hooker guy is a decent defender) then it’s a giant wet fart of a year

Why the hell is Worsfold trying to turn Stringer into an inside mid? Being similarly built to Bontompelli doesnt make him a midfielder despite splitting some time there from the forward line.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

Honestly I don't think even they really believe it. I think its a case of "we know we absolutely don't have the right people for the job, so if we say we're trying something new and giving it a shot that might buy us some time to find someone next time/looks better than admitting we don't have the right team yet".

Perhaps they should have drafted someone who CAN play inside midfield instead of trading for someone who just plays inside mid-teens?

:smug:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

Masten is dumb as poo poo for playing on, but this is still a terrible call:

https://www.facebook.com/WCEofficial/videos/10155717652052224/

Wow thats a shocker. Its clear as day that was not touched on the slowmo.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Oh goody another year of teams belting us and then turning to poo poo the following week. You can thank us later jerks!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

The Saints good year continues:

Roberton confirmed out indefinitely (probably at least 3 weeks min).
Koby Stevens out indefinitely with delayed concussion.
Paddy McCartin had his car stolen and house broken into.

Where'd you hear about McCartin's car getting nicked?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Well that’s another round in the books. Bring on round 6 I say.

The fun hasn't even began. :getin:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

i think viney's turnovers offset his toughness around the ball but i wish he was fit tonight so he could do this to dusty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQPt6W_gJXg

The melbourne supporters in the comments calling that the "best tackle ever" is a testament to the softness of the club as a whole.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Only really saw bits and pieces but Collingwood are so drat handball happy any sort of pressure team is going to obliterate them (like Richmond next week).

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

snoremac posted:

I remember after the 2010 (?) grand final draw thinking he was so reasonable and composed next to Nick Maxwell’s whining.

The rematch loss would have been worth it to see Goddard go literally insane on the field and start fighting (collingwood) cunts left right and centre.

Finishes off the 22 and then starts on the supporters.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

monolithburger posted:

Wasn't it Lenny who took a swing at someone (I wanna say Swan) in the replay? (My memory is hazy for good reason)

Was Didak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzcOhg-gtSg
Looks like he was getting tagged and boiled over. Didak looks ready to swing a punch there as well.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Lets just make the grounds smaller as well.. say 120meters long and about 50 or so wide.. Perhaps remove the point posts so its easier to remember the scores.. actually making those sherrins is kind of a pain in the rear end as well so probably easier just to make it round... If we focus more on certain skills only we could increase it.. so perhaps no more handballs at all? Kicking only! Also tackling the man is pretty dangerous so maybe only with your feet.. and only at the ball.. yeah probably for the best. Whilst we're at it drinking some lead based paint sounds like a good idea too... whatya say boys?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Thompson arrested, charged with 7 counts including trafficking Ice, and possession of LSD and ecstasy.

He'll be going away for a long time.

https://streamable.com/vall4

:ironicat:

I doubt it. His defence will be he was stood over by a bikie gang and feared for his life (possibly true) and will spill every bean about the guys he was dealing with.

Still probably 3+ years though but I will be shocked if its even close to 10.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

5 years is a pretty long time from where I'm sitting

Well yeah true, but traffickers can see a decade plus is what im getting at. Then again they may just throw the book at him and force him to be

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sentenced to coach melbourne

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

So apart from Mark "Drug Dealer" Thompson, the other big discussion point at the moment is the quality of the game and what things could be done to improve it. While I'm always somewhat sceptical of these discussions when they come up, I did hear an interesting rule change suggested:

Give the first player to contest and win the ball the normal prior opportunity but after they dispose of the ball to a teammate then prior opportunity is mostly expended and the onus is on the players to dispose of the ball correctly.

This would seem to remove a lot of the ridiculous 'knocked out in a tackle' things and rewards high disposal skills. Additionally, it would make sense that teams would start trying to make sure players had more space so that if they did win the ball, they had options to dispose of it to that weren't going to instantly be pinged and turn the ball over.

On the face of it, it doesn't sound like a horrible idea. It seems like it'd go a long way to opening the game up without massively changing the game or doing stupid poo poo like reducing interchange caps that'll just force more athletes into the game while increasing injury risks. It should also be relatively easy to adjudicate cause it's just a "did they kick/handball? yes/no" equation for umps and even as bad as they are I'm not sure they can horribly gently caress that up consistently (they'd do their best though).

Definitely has merits. In general the umps need to start rewarding tackling properly. The length of time players have to dispose of the ball borders on idiocy. If the initial tackle is sufficent to deny the player the abilty to correctly dispose it should be a free kick. I mean given enough time every player will be able to shrug a tackle at some point.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

realbez posted:

Why did he make that joke about selling ice before the drug scandal? Seems like a strange thing to do.

Thompson always was a bit weird, it could honestly have been just a dumb joke that was meant to be similar to "selling ice to eskimos" kind of thing.

Or he was actually more like Scarface and just facedeep in METH BABY YEAH.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

This is the good bloke celebrity white guy narrative. If he was some no name from Craigeburn that had been beaten as a child and turned to drug dealing after he struggled to find work after dropping out of school, no one would have a scintilla of sympathy. But it's good bloke premiership coach Thommo so let's roll out the sympathy wagon in all the papers.

People have sympathy for celebrities because they have knowledge of them as a person and their personality. You dont give a poo poo about Robbo the local meth dealer getting busted but his family and friends will absolutely sympathise with him.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Testekill posted:

But the portmanteau at the end doesn't work when they're not playing Port Adelaide.

I dont think you're understanding the vitriol between Adelaide and Port supporters.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

If I didn't think it was the coaches loving everything up, then I'd have to conclude that the rebuild has failed and that they should start again. But I have no idea how you'd do that. The Saints have been hoarding salary cap space for 4+ years and, from my understanding, are at the stage where they HAVE to spend it or they'll lose some of the bonus you get from underspending. But no big names would be stupid enough to come to the Saints, so what do you do? Offer massive overs for high draft pick Melbourne players that got drafted interstate and hope that you can shake some loose? Good luck with that if you are playing like poo poo - particularly when most of the interstate teams are looking half decent.

Shits loving hosed.
Here is the thing though, looking at our actual list demographic the reality is we are'nt even close to finishing the current rebuild letalone starting a new one. Despite 5 years of turning the list over we are still in the bottom 4 of the comp for both age and experience across the list. The abhorrent drafting and trading prior to 2011 has set us up for this badly by denying us a good spread of 27yo+ players who are playing prime football AND have the experience to back up those around them.
I think we need to curb expectations about properly contesting for another year or two until the list is actually sitting in an area that statistically can be competitive.

As for right now its a combination of two things, coaching structures are not being adhered to due to either them being bad in the first place or the players just not putting in the effort AND just a general lack of effort and confidence. The first one seems to really be only fixable with new coaches being brought in and the second I believe can only be fixed with psychologists coming in and literally sitting the players down and trying to get their head's switched back around the right way.

We had 4 players today each with less then 10 games to their name. Thats going to be a hard sell no matter which way you go about it.

Nutsngum fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 6, 2018

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

put both hands in posted:

so did west coast

Im meaning it exasperates the issue. If the other 18 are playing well you can get away with it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah I think the Bulldogs win this pissing contest.

(note I counted the cohort numbers by hand so I may have made an error... maybe)

Well then we are just poo poo. Burn the league to the ground I say.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Rumour is Ross Lyon may be stepping down today.

RUMOUR.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

imo max gawn is a strong chance to finish top 3 in the Brownlow

Brownlows generally only go to players from teams who make finals but.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I feel like the doctor who looked at a guy who has had 6 concussions in 4 years, who had symptoms matching concussion, and decided it was definitely not concussion but actually whiplash because he also had a sore neck, should be pretty embarrassed

Two seperate incidents. He passed the test from Jetta smashing him in the head but didnt return from the second one which was the whiplash one.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

He is well on track to be the biggest number 1 pick bust we've seen

Richard Lounder has that veeeery well covered already.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

nah, it actually worked so it had to go

i remember it being laggy as all hell. Doesnt mean it couldnt be improved but laffo if you think Telstra could do that considering they dont even have a drat ladder predictor up. Also the lack of free match replays is loving rude as gently caress.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Took a falcon to the balls today playing out in brunswick and the ache is thankfully somewhat muted by Essendon losing to Carlton.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Oh poo poo its Ross Lyon, watch out Samantha Lane!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

You don't play for Hampton Rovers do you?

Ah yeah I do, you dont play for West Brunswick do you? If so, im sorry.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

It has not been a good fortnight against your mob, but we got about 6 senior players back today and put a good win on the board over in Prahan

Lets not talk about the clubbies

Yeah, Rovers are kind of too good for D1 really. That said, winning flags is always difficult.
Which one of the clubbies players were you? :P

Oh and gently caress St Kilda. How the flying gently caress are we so god drat bad in front of goal. 90% at training, loving 20% on game day. Where are their loving heads at?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I just dont get what has happened to this team? Even if we were playing exactly as well as last year we should be competitive to 2/3rds of the teams out there. Currently we are just deplorable in almost every facet of the game. Yes we lost Roo and Montagna but that doesnt explain the complete breakdown across the board.

hiddenmovement posted:

I haven't played this year, I was under the impression that they had a full decent side and that I was surplus to requirements so I haven't put my hand up.

But they had a three man bench and a tonne of kids/new guys today, so blargh.

I think they need any help they can get.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

There we go. Finish off the game with a big wet fart saints. Thanks for getting my hopes up and then dashing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Blame the WAFL, we'd have a proper league if they hadn't been stupid enough to fall for the first bit of bait

A "proper" league wouldn't have seen you blokes knocked off by a SANFL team and thats not a world I want to live in.