Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Forum Joe posted:

I disagree. All three Sunday games are between teams that would be aiming to finish at about the same place. St. Kilda vs Gold Coast are both wooden spoon contenders, so that’s a fight both will want to win to get an early start off the bottom.
Lol no we are not. At least try and analyse the club before making predictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

A year ago most of you would have agreed we would still be pushing for finals this year but suddenly we have a mess of a season in many different ways (as above) and its then "oh they're actually just a terrible list". Spare me the bigfooty analysis.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

harperdc posted:

Where the only thing he gets to hear is American NPR.

Have they cracked down on using VPNs to get access to the international Watch AFL pass?

A basic proxy server change fools WatchAFL.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yarra Park has been a car park for footy and cricket games as long as I can remember

Yeah this is one criticism Im not sure I understand. People have been parking and bbqing on there for probably 50+years without really damaging the park as far as I can see.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Adelaide just traded pick 19 and their future first round pick for Carlton's future first round pick.

Carlton getting hosed in that.

Lol, Carlton will be lucky not to be bottom 2 again next year.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

It is absolutely an attempt to return in part to the garbage era of zones which benefited a select few clubs and exiled everyone else to meander around.

The academies themselves are fine and good but no team should have priority to them over any other club.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

I haven't read how it works, how different is it to father-son rule? (Which is also bad.)

I actually really do like the father son rule (even though the Saints have had.. two ever..) as I think it does help keep the aspect of the community club that they all(most) hail from. As long as the club has to pay for the player with adequate picks and not Geelongesque everybody for nothing it's fine. Besides, they come around so rarely that its hardly an issue.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I would say that the Liberal party is a lot like Carlton in that they are getting absolutely slaughtered.. but in actual fact theyre much more like Gold Cost in that they're getting slaughtered and imploding as an entity entirely.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

I asked this in the AusPol thread, but maybe people here might also know the answer:

Do we know who DAndrews barracks for?

No idea but my greatest shame (apart from being a St Kilda supporter) is that Matthew Guy is also a St Kilda supporter.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

No one has ever ever ever complained about any club ever doing that before and yet its suddenly an issue? I thought this was meant to combat the "congestion" problem but that also made no loving sense either.

Interesting is keeping players inside the 50 means far less instances of half fowards/backs coming into the centre in time and being able to receive the handball and kicking it. Who wants to bet this is going to make it harder to clear from the centre and will make more ball ups occur?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

I was super confused as well. It's not really explained well in the article.

I think the 50m penalty is to stop teams just going "gently caress your stupid 6-6-6 rule" and putting players behind the ball anyway knowing they'd concede a free kick out of the centre. The 50 will definitely stop that but that whole thing is stupid poo poo that will almost certainly backfire in hilarious and unexpected ways.

The thing is, I dont think its tactically sound to just give up a free in the centre anyway despite having numbers back. If seconds are on the clock holding it up inside the square is really important and I would never want to throw that away. Then again im not an AFL coach so what do I know?

I do know that zoning restrictions like this are stupid as gently caress and not one anyone ever wanted.

I cant see past the Murdoch paywall but was this thought up by the AFL in the first place or simply said "no" by them? They're already treating the womens comp like a farce and this is just the icing on the cake.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sky News is now paying Campbell Brown as a political commentator

https://twitter.com/skynewsaust/status/1070924493500014592?s=21

:psypop:

Why not? He spent more time sitting on the bench during his career then parliament does.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol at the captains of the dumbass loving super hero themed AFLX being paid as much for their one day tourney as the tier one AFLW players were paid for the 2018 season

The afl are a bunch of dumb cunts with this AFLX garbage. By pushing the players into it they're just making people turn off it as being some sort of joke as opposed to a legit touch-AFL style game for the general public to participate in.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

AFL2019: The victorian conspiracy cometh

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

AFL2019: 27 Collywobbles baked in a pie

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

monolithburger posted:

Hugh Goddard did this to Josh Bruce in a marking contest after he'd recovered from a stress fracture in his back. No wonder he got the boot.

(Actually that was mainly St. Kilda's lovely list managment)

He snapped his achilles, its like one of the worst injuries you can do and only a small percentage of people really recover from then enough. If he manages to get games in Carlton's team then good on him but he has four able bodied defenders in front of him at the Saints.

Was on the facebooks earlier today even before they confirmed a full break that the ambulance was at Waverley for half an hour before leaving. Knew it was a bad one as soon as I read it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I dont particularly like King at all but I would think its more likely the Taxi company just took a crowbar to the bumper later on and claimed damages. The industry is shockingly corrupt.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

In other news, football has killed a planned national indigenous art gallery in Alice Springs, because it split the indigenous community and resulted in their veto of the move when it was discovered the plan was to build the new gallery on a current football oval.

Is Alice Springs so bereft of land that they need to aquire a football field to build one?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Found myself randomly humming the Giant's song for no apparent reason the other day. I can only assume that this means they'll win the flag this year.

Pretty sure it actually means Kelly is coming to the Saints after GWS fails to make finals.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Well the tennis finally over, time to start getting ready for the new season of

quote:

Patrick Dangerfield announces Luke "good bloke" Hodge as his vice captain for the "Bolts"

crying into my pillow

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Sat, 2 Feb, 6:40 Pm
GMHBA

Geelong Cats

Collingwood

As much as I want the womens league to succeed I just cannot bring myself to barrack for another set of colours. When the Saints are in next year Ill be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Ollie Wines hurt his shoulder in a water skiing accident and Alex Fasolo fractured his arm celebrating Australia Day.

I can hear the sound of Adelaide licking their chops over pick 1 already.