Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

hiddenmovement posted:

One thing I'm really looking forward to in the womens comp is the improved skill level. The regular comp last year had some pretty piss poor skills because of all the pro athletes that weren't really footballers. Ugly up and under kicks that went 25 meters. But the all star game later in the year was an absolute pearler, and it really showed the level the comp can rise to once it's predominantly filled with actual footballers and not fly by night athletes.

Don't know if I'd say it was a pearler. It was just one side absolutely outclassing the other. Not hard for your skills to look good when you absolutely dominate your opponent.

The first couple of weeks of AFLW were pretty ropey in terms of skills but I thought the game turned into a pretty good spectacle after that. Obviously not the same standard as AFL but fun to watch nonetheless. The GF was pretty entertaining too! (unlike the AFL GF )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NPR Journalizard posted:

At least it got rid of that bullshit CoLA fuckery that Sydney got gifted.

That was more to do with Buddy, but yeah, I guess taking Tippett AND Buddy in short order probably did it.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

loving 47 degrees in Sydney, goddamn, that's dire. It was horrible enough today here in Adelaide at around 44 degrees.

I work in a giant glass building and when you walk in, it's all just bright white stones from the carpark to the front door. I swear I got sunburned just from walking to and from my car yesterday. The loving sun bounces off the glass building, it bounces off the ground, it hits you from every loving angle and I literally got sunburned from the ~10 minutes I spent going to and from my car twice. I'm still pissed off. Put up a loving shadecloth or SOMETHING.

I hate the heat so much

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

You Am I posted:

Isn't a bit condescending calling the female footballers "girls"?

I mean, obviously it depends on whether the players themselves mind or not. If they don't like it then we shouldn't do it. But people refer to male sports stars as "the boys" all the time.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Is the Crows vs Fremantle AFLW practice match still happening tonight? Or has it been rained out?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Rushed shot at goal goes out of bounds, so it's a free kick to the defenders, gently caress this rule right off into the sun

I seriously hate that stupid rule so much. It's particularly harsh at AFLW level. Oh, you're going down the boundary line and your kick didn't hit a target because your skill level isn't quite at that of the men's league? Better hope it doesn't bounce sideways and end up going out of bounds or else it's a free kick against! You affected a turnover in a 1-on-2 situation and don't have time to spot up a target before you get mobbed? Choose between going down the line and risking an almost certain free kick against when it inevitably bobbles out of play, or just blindly kicking it into the corridor and hoping it doesn't land in an opposition player's lap with options ahead of them!

gently caress whoever it was that decided to introduce that rule. I hated it in the SANFL, and I hate it here.

The game itself was fairly entertaining. A few of the best players out (I'm assuming the same for Freo, but I don't know Freo's AFLW team well enough to say for sure) so it was really just a chance to see some of the lesser players. I like some of the Crows' new recruits! Hewett is going to be a star if she can get her kicking boots on.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

The only positive is that we looked this bad in the corresponding game last year, so I'm putting it down to playing the first competitive game of the year in monsoon season with a bar of soap not being conducive to good results.

I reckon we looked way worse in last year's practice match. We were pretty competitive this time around, just had a lackluster finish.

That said, the Crows last year were essentially a six-woman team (Phillips, Randall, Perkins, Marinoff, and I would argue Cramey and Metcalfe) with a bunch of lesser lights who would do well enough to hold up their end. Take three of them out (essentially our best midfielder, best forward and best defender) and we probably would have finished bottom last year.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Huh, 74 games for Sydney but 178 overall? I didn't realise he'd reached 100 games for the Crows!

I look forward to a young Tippett joining the Crows as a F/S recruit with his father acting as manager again!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Are the other games airing on Foxtel or something? Surely all games are being televised somewhere.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Yeah, Melbourne should be at least in the premiership race this year in the AFLW. A pretty good choice!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Shmoses posted:

lmao after all the positioning of Whateley as the ‘voice of sport in Melbourne’ they’ve put Kane Cornes literally broadcasting out of Adelaide in his Friday slot

Not sure why anyone would choose to broadcast Kane Cornes in any slot irrespective of where he broadcasts from... but I suspect Kane is actually broadcasting from Melbourne. That's where he records the show that gets broadcast here each day (or at least it was last year, haven't tuned in this year to see if it's changed).

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Shmoses posted:

He’s been doing a show with Malcolm Blight out of Adelaide and I read that’s where he’s doing the Friday shows from

Ah, fair enough. Last year he was doing it with Ben Hart and I'm pretty sure it was being recorded in Melbourne.

Kane Cornes and Malcolm Blight, huh? I'm not sure if that will be better or worse to listen to...

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

That's bullshit from the AFL. I loving hate the way they introduce rule changes that literally change the way the game is played in order to achieve a specific outcome, which inevitably isn't what happens because that outcome isn't conducive to winning matches.

Now they're just straight up telling clubs "lower your chances of winning so the game is prettier".

And while I'm at it, I know I'm not the first to say it, but gently caress the last touch out of bounds rule. For the last few years I've been detailing incredibly lovely scenarios in which that leads to an unwarranted free kick and what do you know, we got to see almost all of them in the same match with Brisbane vs Crows. And it's made even worse in a league with weaker skills than the AFL mens league. They should get rid of that rule from this week forward and issue a public apology for being loving morons.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

It sure makes for a great spectacle watching a player shepherd the ball out of bounds when both they and an opponent have plenty of time to take possession, and being rewarded for it with a free kick.

It's excellent when a kick to a loose forward is slightly overcooked and ends up dribbling out of bounds and a defender gets a free kick for it. Much more exciting than a stoppage ten metres from goal!

I love watching a player put their body on the line in a one-on-three situation in the defensive pocket, win the ball, boot it down the line, only to have it bounce left instead of right and have a free kick result, completely nullifying their sacrifice and effort. Guess they should have booted it into the middle of the defensive 50 instead and hoped it wasn't marked by a forward!

It's brilliant when a speedy player gets the ball, decides to take on a defender by running past them boundary side, handballs to the ground to avoid being tackled with the ball, and it goes left and now it's a free kick against.

And it's awesome when there is a sudden turnover, the ball is kicked to your closest teammate to goal, and they look forward and realise the goals are 60m away and there are two defenders ahead of them. They can't really expect to run past them, and the goals are too far away. No point going forward because the only options are the ball goes out of bounds and it's a free kick against, or it stays in and they collect it anyway. Bad luck! Nice turnover, though! Guess you should just turn around and kick the ball backwards to a contest instead!

Thanks for improving the spectacle, AFL! You loving pills.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2018 around 23:31

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

The tickets here were originally $20, and they just dropped them to $10, so I imagine sales are going well

Adelaide has named a high powered AFLX squad, where the only first choice player is Jake Kelly, and beyond that only Cheney, Otten, Hampton, and CEY are recognisable to anyone not a fan.

Meanwhile Collingwood named only 14 players, which is the minimum I believe.

So much for the Crows "playing to win" I guess.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

The AFL has approved Hannah Mouncey playing in the VFLW this year, proving beyond all shadow of a doubt that all decision making processes are the sole purview of a magic 8 ball.

At least their broken clock of a decision making process gets it right occasionally.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

monolithburger posted:

The Feed on SBS got none other than Ricky Nixon on to talk about whether or not Hannah Mouncey should play in the AFLW.

He managed to not only make a bunch of arse backwards about transgender issues and genitals, but also made the argument that the lighter girls, like the Asian ones, might be at risk.

gently caress sake.

Toot toot!

Of all people...

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

cmndstab posted:

So much for the Crows "playing to win" I guess.

Huh. How about that.

I thought it was fun to watch, but it's nothing more than a sideshow popcorn broadcast. Can't imagine people tuning in week after week. Three nights before the preseason comp is probably about right.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Holy poo poo, Erin loving Phillips.

That's the first Adelaide-based AFLW game I haven't been able to go to, figures it would be the best of the lot of them. At least I got to watch the game on TV after quarter time, was a ripper!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Yeah, I missed them and only got to see the replays but they looked really innocuous to me.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Comp looks a bit more even this season. The Adelaide Erins still maybe in with a chance, with no team more than a win ahead of us now.

Yeah, three weeks in and no team is undefeated, and only one team is winless. Very even.

That said, I did have to laugh at someone commenting that the Crows are only "one win plus percentage from top spot". Yeah, if we could just literally double our percentage in our next win, we should be good!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

So Bulldogs are almost certainly in the final at this point.

Yeah, although they do have two difficult matches to finish up with. GWS away and Melbourne. They'd have to drop them both (or get absolutely creamed in one of them) to have any chance of missing the finals.

The Crows are somehow still alive, but need some results to go their way. The best option for us is for the Bulldogs to keep winning and then GWS get over Brisbane in the last round. Obviously we'd need to win both our matches as well but that would get us into second spot.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

That sounds like a terrible decision. Watching the players come out and kick the ball at the goals is one of the fun parts of the pre-match

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Ebony Marinoff split her tongue in a head clash against Carlton, and had to have it stitched back together after the game. A request from the coach to keep sewing and stitch her whole mouth shut was declined by the club doctor.

Ouch. From memory I thought she played the match out, did I remember it wrong?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Do "retirements" even officially occur before the list lodgement at the end of the year anyway? I guess if they are claiming to have saved some money on his contract, it must have, but in my mind he's still technically on the list.

It's a bit like last year when Scott Thompson retired mid-season, and then there was some talk about him possibly getting a call-up late in the year to cover an injury.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Looks like an interesting finish to the AFLW season! Five teams technically still in the hunt, although only four are realistic chances.

GWS vs Brisbane - If GWS wins, they are in the grand final, barring a huge percentage grab by the Crows. Brisbane's only path to the GF requires a big win here and a massive Demons loss, as well as a Crows loss two days later.

Bulldogs vs Melbourne - The winner hosts the grand final. The loser is likely to miss out but not definitely. They would need Brisbane to beat GWS (and not overtake percentage, not an issue for the Dogs) and Collingwood to beat Crows for them to retain a spot in the top 2.

Adelaide vs Collingwood - If Brisbane beats GWS, the Crows just need a win to make the grand final. If GWS beats Brisbane, the Crows have to make up 11 percentage, which sounds like a lot but is technically a realistic prospect. For example if GWS beats Brisbane 20-19, the Crows winning 33-12 would do it. A moderate-size GWS win would probably put it out of reach.

Fremantle vs Carlton - Nobody cares about this match.

Draws make things interesting as well. If the Bulldogs and Melbourne draw, they're both in the GF barring a sizable Giants win (would need to win by roughly 20 points to get past Demons on percentage). Funnily enough if this happens and GWS have an absolutely enormous win (~80 points) the Giants could end up hosting the GF. Obviously, unlikely. If GWS and Brisbane draw, then a Crows win would see them in (barring a Bulldogs and Melbourne draw as well). A Crows/Collingwood draw almost certainly eliminates the Crows.

In summary, if you're a fan of the following teams, this is what you want.

Bulldogs: In your own hands. Just need to win or draw. If you lose, you need Adelaide and GWS to both lose or draw.
Melbourne: Same as Bulldogs, only with a couple of extra scenarios opened up if you get absolutely spanked.
GWS: Must beat Brisbane, then just pray that Bulldogs and Melbourne don't have a draw.
Adelaide: If GWS have already beaten Brisbane, play for percentage. If Brisbane have beaten or drawn with GWS, a win will be enough. A Bulldogs/Melbourne draw effectively ends the season.
Brisbane: Must thrash GWS, pray for a big Melbourne loss, and a Crows loss to Collingwood.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at Mar 13, 2018 around 00:12

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s a good thing melbourne as a club has traditionally done so well in must win situations ms. Cant help but feel that the inaccuracy in the first quarter against Freo costs us a grand final. 13 inside 50s to 1 or something for a single goal.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I can't help but look back at the draw against GWS and think, if only we could have scored one more point...

or if only Marinoff had been given a free for having her head taken off when GWS went on to score their final point

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Or if Cramey hadn't completely muffed that set shot 20 out straight in front

I prefer to be bitter about things that aren't entirely our own fault

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Is it just me, or have there been more major injuries than normal this preseason? Seems like there's another one every other day.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I assume they're just a once-off thing, right? They're not actually changing all the themes permanently?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

SFT has been an absolute star this season. I got a front-row seat at Norwood Oval in round 1 to watch her absolutely tear the Crows apart.

She was drat good last season, too.

Big win from Brisbane tonight... now we just need Bulldogs and Melbourne not to draw, and the Crows will be playing off for a grand final spot!

Pretty incredible to think it could still quite easily be Brisbane in the GF. Just need two results to go their way. So much for me having written them off as not legitimate chances.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Roughly 5-6 goals, I think. It depends on the overall score of course. Larger scores are better from Brisbane's perspective.

If Melbourne won 42-10, for example, the Bulldogs percentage would drop to 125.6% which is lower than Brisbane's.

But if Melbourne won 32-0, the Bulldogs would only drop to 126.8% which is still above Brisbane.

I think it's roughly 33 points minus one point for every goal the Bulldogs kick or something like that.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at Mar 16, 2018 around 12:59

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Whoooo, let's go [whichever team is leading at the time]!

Kick a [goal or point depending on whichever keeps the difference closer to 3 mod 6]!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at Mar 17, 2018 around 08:37

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

That was actually a pretty entertaining game to watch as a neutral. Felt for Melbourne at the end.

Pretty simple equation now. If Crows win tomorrow it's Bulldogs vs Crows. If the Crows draw or lose, it's Bulldogs vs Brisbane.

Over to you, Crows!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

What happened with that ruck infringement? I have absolutely no idea what the free kick was for, whether it was the Crows nominating incorrectly or an umpiring mistake.

Disappointing finish to the season, but honestly, we probably don't deserve to be there in what has been a pretty average season from the Crows. Good luck next week Brisbane!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Looks like I chose a good season to stop paying any attention to footy news and just watch the games. Blindfolds and Yellow and Black on loop sounds pretty wacky but I'll take a 36 point win any day of the week

Also I forget if I already told you guys but I am now a dad, my baby daughter was born last week Monday Funny how that kind of thing makes you care a lot less about whether Tex is angry about leaks or whatever the gently caress is apparently going on.

Also apparently like half the cricket team has resigned or been suspended or something I don't loving know, time to get back to bottle feeding and fitting in 60 minute powernaps between nappy changes!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Thanks all We're doing alright, she's a little bit unsettled at times but by and large doing well. I've been able to get a few weeks off (a "well-timed" calf injury gave me an extra week at home!) which has helped.

hiddenmovement posted:

congrats cmndstab

also watching footy news helps you avoid political news, you'll be begging for updates on Sloane contract details when Abbotts affair with Credlin finally drops

I've already managed to avoid Australian politics by becoming obsessed with US politics instead. All the insanity and hilarity (arguably more) with the added bonus that it only indirectly affects me!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Nutsngum posted:

Wow thats a shocker. Its clear as day that was not touched on the slowmo.

There were two of these this weekend where the umpire's call was a goal, and then the review was not remotely conclusive and it was overturned.

Don't the video review umpires know that their job is to reverse howlers, not to actually make a decision about what they think line ball calls should be?

cmndstab fucked around with this message at Apr 12, 2018 around 04:30

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Hey, all of a sudden I'm going to my first Crows game at Adelaide Oval tomorrow night! Any advice to make it as painless as possible? I'd be training in I reckon.

Definitely take public transport, it's really good for Adelaide Oval. I haven't taken the train in but the buses are excellent and there's heaps of them.

Beyond that, there's not much to say. It's a fairly quick stadium to get inside of, and there are some pretty good places to eat inside. Have a great time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

loving

«5 »