Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ears full of scrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Points in ear = dance all sprint

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

the most important part of any work planning ritual is for the EM to browbeat your reports over whether this ticket is a 3 or a 5 for 10 minutes in a 12 person meeting

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
I've been doing iOS consulting for the past 2-3 years after quitting my ~big tech job~ (working on Pages/Keynote/Numbers, suck it any Office fans itt), mostly because of adhd/I like the broad exposure you get working for a bunch of different people/it's nice being able to dedicate work hours to side projects if I want to. it's just me and occasionally an intern and while the pay is still really good I'm working mostly with small startup-y clients, because my biggest value tends to be building out MVPs for them w/ their initial investment money so they can go on and raise more

I'd like to work with larger clients because there can be a lot of bullshit involved with the smaller companies (on every single project, without fail, the founders will come to me with a "what do we need to do to get you to work for us for equity" conversation), and while I'm good at delivering, the 1-2 year success rate for them is still abysmally low (I am very upfront about this with everyone I take on, and reject way more clients than I'd like to because they just have absolutely no chance lol)

so anyway I've been interviewing with some of the big boy consulting companies, but the only one who wasn't really a scummy "we'll bleed you dry doing staff aug indefinitely" kind of outfit and that did actual agency-style work ended up being a specific org out of a company with kind of bad rep among the major consultancies. I like their client list though, and I got a good vibe from the other engineering management and from their director, and they got a good vibe from me

I got an offer yesterday and it's kind of making me rethink my strategy of never saying a number first? Just an absolute lowball, and at a level lower than what I thought we were discussing in the interviews themselves. I was hoping that they would take my employment history and where the market is at currently in good faith, so I dodged the recruiter's salary questions (they were posed as a "I want to be able to negotiate with the hiring committee on your behalf") with a "look, I know you guys are a serious company, I'm not worried about it at all as long as you come in with a competitive offer"

the recruiter was like "oh yeah I kind of expected your reaction, I'll see what I can do" and then I anchored things with her with my top-line number, now I'm just waiting to hear back after the long weekend. I'm like fairly fairly confident that they can make a shitton of money off of me at the level I want them to bring me in at, so I don't think my TC number is unreasonable and it isn't super out of line with glassdoor, but idk maybe the consultancies just pay like (relative) poo poo? feeling very shaky about all of this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

don’t say a number first, if they hit you with a number that’s too low to work with you walk

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hope at some point in my career I can respond to an offer by just laughing and asking what their non-joke offer is

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

don’t say a number first, if they hit you with a number that’s too low to work with you walk

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

I'm almost 100% going to walk, it just feels like if I at least centered the expected level earlier on in the conversation they wouldn't have tried this. now it feels like they're doing a "hehe what if he said yes"

They came in at ~$140,000 w/ ~$25,000 sign-on and 5-6% bonus, and I said I'd be happy with $270,000 TC (knowing that TC can be a little nebulous). maybe it's not a lowball? it's way under what I was making at apple, though

GenJoe fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 1, 2022

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that's a really low offer comparatively op

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
giving a highball number to a cold-call recruiter who won't tell you anything is a good way to get rid of them

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

I don't negotiate at all on my rates with clients so maybe I'm just a little rusty on what an acceptable negotiating range is here

edit: although one client did try to pull a "hey I'm used to paying $65/hr for devs from the Ukraine can you work with me pls" and I said "no" and he took my rate anyway. but he was just super dumb and a bad client in general. I told future me to walk away from people like that and I guess this is similar

thanks yospos for letting me organize my thoughts out loud

GenJoe fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 1, 2022

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Decided to try out consulting. Just finished my first 6 months with a client and the last task was to basically delete everything I’ve done for the last 6 months because they never actually figured out what they wanted.

Got two final round interviews next week.

Also, my company will put me on the bench for the foreseeable future so I might get to collect two salaries for a month or two while working one job.

Maybe that’ll make up for the fact that they told me I was getting a promotion and HR just needed to sign it, then hr went “lol no, make him wait.”

This industry blows.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

huhu posted:

Decided to try out consulting. Just finished my first 6 months with a client and the last task was to basically delete everything I’ve done for the last 6 months because they never actually figured out what they wanted.

a nice representative introduction. as long as the checks clear

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a nice representative introduction. as long as the checks clear

Company is doubling down on crypto and nft consulting soo, probably not for long.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lady Radia posted:

got a big one tomorrow and pretty nervous. been watching neetcode to prep after doing some a handful of Fun Ones to warm my fingers up.

How'd this go?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

How'd this go?

hey thanks for following up :) it went pretty well! i absolutely nailed most of the technical questions, and i always feel strong about my performance with behavioral questions too. there was a code design one i was more iffy on. so fingers crossed!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

That is good to hear, hope you get the bag!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
feeling like you did well can be remarkably uncorrelated w doing well, cuz if you fail early on a lotta peeps softball the rest of the interview and if you're a real serious candidate they sorta pull out the nerd hazing

i rigorously try never to do this but ive given hundreds of interviews at this point

really you just say 'alea iacta est' and work on your continual pipeline. its sales, just do sales poo poo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That is good to hear, hope you get the bag!
:unsmith: wholesome interviewing thread is wholesome

bob dobbs is dead posted:

feeling like you did well can be remarkably uncorrelated w doing well, cuz if you fail early on a lotta peeps softball the rest of the interview and if you're a real serious candidate they sorta pull out the nerd hazing

i rigorously try never to do this but ive given hundreds of interviews at this point

really you just say 'alea iacta est' and work on your continual pipeline. its sales, just do sales poo poo

yeah, i wont take it too personally if im wrong about how it went, you're 100% right it's just kinda a dice roll.

i've only given dozens of interviews myself and i find that if im falling into the "decided the interview in the first five min" trap, i pull myself out by identifying the candidates passion and giving them kind-of a soft ball to zone in on it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gazpacho posted:

giving a highball number to a cold-call recruiter who won't tell you anything is a good way to get rid of them

until you realize in horror your big number wasn't big enough when they say "yeah sure we can work with that number"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
leaving money on the table to work for cloudkitchens or some poo poo you hate to see it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Totally true. Interviewing now has made be realize how differently some interviewers approach it. I (and my current org) has always come from a "we want you to succeed" approach, and give loads of hints, suggestions and helpful questions. I think this makes it more obvious when you're doing well as a candidate and when you're not, idk. But some of the interviews I've done recently have been more like a supervised leetcode test, and it's almost total opaque if you're doing well doing the interview. You've got to find out if they want the performance solution, the real life product focused development one, catch every edge case, or if it's meant to be a rapid fire get through as many qs as possible.

I totally forgot to find out the equivalent of this in a system design one which I think torpedoed me - feedback afterwards was that I had been not pragmatic enough/non committal to specific technology or design choices. I was meant to have come up with a specific design, rather that talk to them about the process and what I would do in various scenarios. Which is fine but I should have found that out at the start!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I got an email that says

quote:

Hi there [removed],

I'm reaching out because we are actively recruiting for multiple Software Engineers. This role is onsite in Tulsa and direct hire, paying around $100-130K/yr with slight flexibility. This role is great for someone with C# and .Net Core experience.

You appear to be in this space. Do you know anyone who might be interested in learning more?

I appreciate any and all help!
--Founder, [removed]

At first I thought it was a spam mail sent en masse, then I was sent a follow-up

quote:

Hi [removed],

I'm following back up to make sure you saw my email. Thoughts? Does anyone come to mind?

I never studied C#/.Net, only Python/Django, JavaScript, and some C++ (up to class definitions, but not things liked linked lists). Sorry to spam this here, but what do I do in this situation? They may have mistaken me for an employer because I talked in my profile about working on my own business and linked my GitHub, but I haven't hired anyone. Maybe they're wanting me to apply despite by under-qualifications, and I'm just being thick, in which case I only work remote. edit: also I guess I could send anyone here their way as long as I'm posting it.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 2, 2022

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

galenanorth posted:

At first I thought it was a spam mail sent en masse, then I was sent a follow-up

This doesn't disprove that it's automated recruiter spam; most of the spam I ignore gets 1 or sometimes 2 follow-up like this.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

you may want to redact the second email

e: ime recruiters asking if you know anyone who might be a good fit is an indicator that they are casting a very broad net and are just looking for as many new contacts as possible. requirements are a fake idea so I wouldn't let that stop you from applying to a job but it doesn't sound like this would be a great fit since it's onsite only

Asleep Style fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 2, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

galenanorth posted:

I got an email that says

I never studied C#/.Net, only Python/Django, JavaScript, and some C++ (up to class definitions, but not things liked linked lists). Sorry to spam this here, but what do I do in this situation? They may have mistaken me for an employer because I talked in my profile about working on my own business and linked my GitHub, but I haven't hired anyone. Maybe they're wanting me to apply despite by under-qualifications, and I'm just being thick, in which case I only work remote. edit: also I guess I could send anyone here their way as long as I'm posting it.

Congrats, youre on a drip campaign. All CRMs allow you to template a series of emails that will be scheduled on some time interval to go out. When I recruit lawyers I send a personalized first email with 4 templated follow ups scheduled automatically on the first which cancel if I get a reply. I also advertise on LinkedIn and Indeed. 50% of my lawyer hires come through cold outreach which I do by finding competing law firms or using the state's bar website to find prospects.

Double CongratsTM now you know my recruiting secrets. This is text book "email spam" but that doesnt mean they arent truly recruiting. Theres prob a real job and theyre poo poo at lead gen if youre a bad candidate.

FWIW all the lawyers who I've hired this way say it feels like very flattering magic when I "reach out" and "follow up". My response rates are >10%, open rates ~50%.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I guess I'll reply

"No, I don't know anyone who might be interested in learning more about this position. Currently, I can only work remotely due to family obligations. Thank you for contacting me, and I apologize for the delay in my reply.

Sincerely,
[removed]"

anyway

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

alternately, don’t reply

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Captain Foo posted:

alternately, don’t reply

+1 though you'll likely get more follow ups.

If you wanna be a dick, mark it as junk. Enough junk reports will cause similar emails to go to junk for other people. I mark most cold outreach that isnt actually tailored to me as junk because I'm a huge snob about personalization-at-scale marketing. Its really hard to get good deliverability with cold outreach.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

if you cold email me it's getting reported as spam 100% of the time

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

galenanorth posted:

Maybe they're wanting me to apply despite by under-qualifications, and I'm just being thick, in which case I only work remote. edit: also I guess I could send anyone here their way as long as I'm posting it.

its this. being forced to relocate to tulsa would scare off anyone who had appropriate credentials

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but any chance a yospos oldie could take a look at my resume? i'm gearing up for tech intern recruiting season and it would be nice for somebody with interviewing experience to give some advice. i trust the people here to know what they're talking about

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

lord fifth posted:

i trust the people here to know what they're talking about

i know when i need someone i can trust, i go to the poo poo-posting subforum of subforum of a poo poo-posting forum, rite?

i kid, this is probably the right place.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

post the resume

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
https://cloud.jtar.bz/resume_semi_censored.pdf

it has some minimal but unavoidable identifying info so uh be nice :allears:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

id move education to the very bottom or above activities, but otherwise that's a good resume. and that's a very minor thing obv

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Achmed Jones posted:

id move education to the very bottom or above activities, but otherwise that's a good resume. and that's a very minor thing obv

thank you so much for the feedback! i've considered this, but i'm just not sure exactly what recruiters / interviewers focusing on interns prioritize when looking at a resume. it's definitely something i will keep in mind as i keep iterating (:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

I'd also either pad skills out more, or move it below experience. "Here are a handful of things I do well" isn't a strong start.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're still a student, education is the first thing I want to see because that's going to frame how I read the rest of your resume. For the same reason, if you're not a student, I want to see education at the bottom.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

I'd also either pad skills out more, or move it below experience. "Here are a handful of things I do well" isn't a strong start.

I think it's OK for an intern resume but moving it after experience and projects is OK. I think you can also combine those two sections somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

this is good feedback! i think i'll add more to skills to emphasize what kind of work i am looking to do / would excel in, and also move it after more concrete experiences