Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

no, just someone who recognizes there are topics appropriate for work and topics appropriate outside of work, and consider hobbies the latter. there are plenty of topics to make small talk about at work without pushing for a culture where people are encouraged to share more about their personal lives than they are comfortable with, and are pushing them to share information that introduces liability in your hiring process (no, the attempt at a rubric above isn't going to save you).

if you wanna bro out at work, by all means bro out. i like getting in, doing my job, and getting the gently caress out.

killing time in a meeting? i'm happy to talk about the weather, industry news, non-controversial national or public news, hell, i'll even listen to you ramble about your hobbies, just don't expect much visibility into mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

nudgenudgetilt posted:

(no, the attempt at a rubric above isn't going to save you).

considering your hobby appears to be "giving confidently wrong legal advice despite having no actual knowledge of the law" i'm not surprised you don't want to talk about it in an interview

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jabor posted:

considering your hobby appears to be "giving confidently wrong legal advice despite having no actual knowledge of the law" i'm not surprised you don't want to talk about it in an interview

busted

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy lol get a fuckin grip nudgenudgetilt

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hobbies: INAPPROPRIATE WORKPLACE BANTER and your rubric won't save you

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you see? gotta have a crazy person filter in there somewhere

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
inappropriate workplace banter? lol if you haven't had multiple coworkers get drunk and confess things to you in GRAPHIC detail that they would never tell their spouses or psychologists

obviously that's not how it should go down during the interview though

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

HR: “this rubric is just a list of your preferred Japanese cartoon rankings. this is a principal software architect role”

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’ll just chat about how early doctors had no idea how mobile organs were from studying cadavers so some of them freaked the gently caress out when living people had them freely floating around, much worse when xrays were available.

so some surgeons would go as far as stuffing peoples abdominal cavity with gauze or to attach “floating kidneys” to make sure they’d all be in the right spot so patients would feel better.

anyway this is all to say that new more accurate data interpreted from a wrong mental model does not necessarily mean you get better conclusions every time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
this has been an entertaining few pages.

also you can ask questions that reveal protected info you just can’t discriminate against people

asking questions where the answer is a protected class has a bad look to it though and is definitely gonna be in the complaint

edit: actually there are circumstances where you probably can’t ask certain questions, but if you ask what’s your 5 year plan? and they say popping out more kids you’re fine as long as you don’t discriminate

also it’s super duper rare for lawsuits to be filed based on discrimination in an interview where no job offer was ever made

IANAL this is not advice.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 3, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i literally mentioned yospos in an interview once as an answer to this exact question. he made a face and said, 'so uh i've never heard of that' and i told him what it stood for. he grinned and we moved on with the interview

about a week later he came up to me and said, 'so i checked out that yospos place it seems like their whole deal is switching between false bravado vs. actually providing useful and insightful commentary'

i told him he understood it perfectly

hahahaha this rules

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I was once phone interviewing a dude for sales and the interview was going BAD. Dude had 0 charisma and couldn’t have read the job description. he randomly starts telling me about his military service related TBI and it set off all my red flags.

I thanked him for his service, said that must be challenging but it’s great he’s working through it and informed him that we make reasonable accommodations. then once we hung up I went and talked to one of my lawyers

don’t talk about your protected class poo poo in interviews unless it’s relevant to building a rapport or the job

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

or do, and if a company is gonna filter you out based on that, they can (only works when you're gainfully employed and not actively trying to leave). you'll never find out the reason, of course (and lol at the idea that anything could be done to punish these companies without a written "we are not hiring you because we hate <protected class>"). again though, only applies if you're under no pressure and are optimizing for that kind of thing

they're protected, not secret after all. medical conditions in general are generally considered more private so its a bit more extra, but sometimes you want to get filtered out if a place is gonna be poo poo for you.

now im imagining an interviewer frantically calling their lawyer because somebody let slip a graduation year or wore a wedding ring

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Later this year, when I'm asked about hobbies, I can start saying, "Well, since I turned 40, I've been..." and if they don't hire me it's ageism :smug:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Finding out that age is protected only if you are old was a mind gently caress for sure.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

according to linkedin, Miro employees 1902 people. wtf. I'd have guessed like, 100, tops.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
number of peeps way more of a function of age and megalomaniac ambitions than of business viability, i find

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

this morning funny recruiter spam: thinking that the startup having travis kalalananick involved is something to advertise and not an obvious red flag

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

DuckConference posted:

this morning funny recruiter spam: thinking that the startup having travis kalalananick involved is something to advertise and not an obvious red flag

lol is this the ghost kitchen thing

I got that one 4 years ago and they went hard w/his name

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
as someone with nearly a starting basketball lineups worth of kids who all do multiple sports/after school activities and a partner who also works full time I can assure y’all that anyone answering ‘my kids’ to the hobbies question would’ve had absolutely poo poo for an answer if they didn’t have any. the kind of mfers who would’ve said ‘watching Lost’ in 2004. i don’t know that I’ve ever mentioned anything about my family ever in an interview and I only talk to my bosses about it when I’m guilting them for not paying me more. obviously coworkers find out if I talk to them enough and it’s not like a secret but I think the only thing that question is designed to reveal is if you’re boring as gently caress or not and I dont think that’s protected

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if you're not showing me pictures of your family during the interview what kind of rapport could we possibly have

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if you're not showing me pictures of your family during the interview what kind of rapport could we possibly have

well my hobbies include erotic pikachu art here let me show you

PIKACHU IS EIGHTEEN IN THIS PICTURE IT ISNT WEIRD

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

he's a high level I just didn't want to evolve him ok :mad:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Well yeah, Raichu doesn't learn anything from levels, so you gotta wait to use a Thunder Stone until Pikachu learns Thunder, duh :rolleye:

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Carrier posted:

Had a recruiter schedule an interview for today at mid-day over the weekend (without checking I was available) and then called me 2 hours before to tell me it was going to be highly technical deep dive into stochastic calculus, pde theory and options pricing, for a role that was described to me as primarily being python development/analysis based. I had to stop myself laughing in his face. Given some time I could probably get back up to speed with all that but I haven't looked at it in years and the guy only contacted me on Thursday last week about the role. Now he's frantically rescheduled to Wednesday as if that's going to make a massive difference. I swear some of these guys lack any semblance of critical thinking.

So I did this interview and it wasn't nearly as technical as he made out. Got a second one lined up for Monday now, again though they are light on the details of what it will contain but I thought I'd ask some questions in here since someone may have some insight. Preface: this is not US figgie land, but UK semi-figgie-but-also-very-expensive-to-live land London

Basically its a Quant Developer/Analyst role at a bank, working primarily with python. Bottom line its a junior role and the comp would be around £85k-£90k (I could maybe push for more but I'm not sure) which would be about a 50% pay increase which is good for London (outside of more senior positions) especially since I don't have much (any) experience in the area.

My current job is at a relatively small tech consultancy working primarily on tech infrastructure for big banks and I was hired into this role because I have a PhD, for example I've previously done some stuff in the CSO at a big investment bank and if I stayed would probably be on a course to become an architect of some sort since this is the career path most people who join with a PhD take. The downside of my current company is (outside of poor comp) a) the work is extremely non-technical most of the time b) it has been really struggling to get any interesting work in the last 6 months (the majority is really just basic consulting work) and c) it has had a massive talent exodus over the past year and the replacements on the whole have been your standard accenture/deloitte types. I don't see any of this changing in the future so I've been looking around.

The quant role looks like it would solve the interesting/technical work problem since it would involve a lot of technical mathematical modelling (and I might be able to put my maths PhD to some sort of use finally...), but its a weird one in that its just a 12 month contract initially through TEKSystems. Supposedly everyone who has done this contract before has gotten a full-time employment offer afterwards, but obviously I have no way to verify this. In fairness, the person who did my first interview had entered the bank this way so its must be true in at least some cases. To me it seems like a try-before-you-buy scheme for the bank, which I guess has some merit.

Has anyone dealt with TEKSystems before? My initial research suggests that they are basically a massive IT contracting bodyshop, but some people do seem to think they serve a purpose. Also, if anyone has worked in a bank with this sort of role or with contractors, I'd love to know any insight you had.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I've worked for TEKsystems before, briefly. They are exactly what you said, and I think your experience will depend entirely on you recruiter contact and the team you are placed on. I don't like contracting I've decided though, I feel too much like a product to be shopped around (not that looking for fte jobs isn't that but at least it's more on my terms). This is in USA btw no idea about UK

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"quant developer" is one of the least descriptive titles out there. It can describe roles that range from pure quant to pure programming in support of quants. You'll have to look into the specifics of what this one involves to get any real information.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sounds like an OK way to get a foothold in a very lucrative niche though.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

"quant developer" is one of the least descriptive titles out there. It can describe roles that range from pure quant to pure programming in support of quants. You'll have to look into the specifics of what this one involves to get any real information.

Yeah it wasn't at all clear to me what the role actually entailed, and the recruiter didn't seem to know. It sounded like there was a large 'training' element to it from the interviewer so I suspect it may be vague intentionally as they try to figure out where you end up but honestly it could all be bluff and bluster, nevertheless

distortion park posted:

Sounds like an OK way to get a foothold in a very lucrative niche though.

this is my thought and I'm sure I can spin it into something else if it doesn't align directly. Basically I feel that my current job is sort of a dead end and this would open up opportunities if nothing else.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Can y'all imagine being a 1+ year experienced PhD computer toucher making $100K in the USA. Especially in an "expensive" place to live? Sure the USA has gun violence and racism and racist gun violence but fuckin hell thats shite pay.

If I had a toucher PhD and no friend or family I'd get a $150K US job, move to Talladega, be lord of the hambeasts.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 4, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre a bodyshop

its not in the WITCH acronym but they're a second tier thingy. nearshore not offshore which is why they have jobs there

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

Can y'all imagine being a 1+ year experienced PhD computer toucher making $100K in the USA. Especially in an "expensive" place to live? Sure the USA has gun violence and racism and racist gun violence but fuckin hell thats shite pay.

If I had a toucher PhD and no friend or family I'd get a $150K US job, move to Talladega, be lord of the hambeasts.

lol.

checking in at $104k as a 20-years-of-experience computer toucher in one of the most expensive cities in the us. in the past i've made multiples of that, but gently caress all that stress

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Personally I would be wary about working for a bank because of the high amount of bureaucratic nonsense (source: currently working for $LARGE_BANK in London and it often feels like I'm in a Kafka novel). At least the money's good and I can work remotely. As a quant you may be shielded from the worst if it, though.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Naar posted:

Personally I would be wary about working for a bank because of the high amount of bureaucratic nonsense (source: currently working for $LARGE_BANK in London and it often feels like I'm in a Kafka novel). At least the money's good and I can work remotely. As a quant you may be shielded from the worst if it, though.

It's super team and company dependent I think. Aiming for that golden non-bank which actually has OK work/life balance has to be the goal though I think, it's the only non-tech sector which pays well in London.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thought I'd collect some stats on my ongoing non-urgent job search. I'm currently a "level above senior" dev working remotely in the EU:

* 25 applications sent (between 2 months ago and last week)
* 16 no responses so far
* 1 told the role might be open next year (???)
* 3 straight rejects
* 2 rejections post interviews, 1 after first chat (I think pay related), 1 after 5 interviews! I failed the system design one.
* 2 I dropped out due to pay (one after like 3 interviews :( )
* 1 ongoing

I'm mostly surprised by the number of non-responses. Don't most HR systems send the rejection emails for you automatically? Without much big tech hiring going on in my region I'm finding that my current pay is pretty near the top of the market. One of my rejections paid more, and the ongoing one pays more, but that's it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

distortion park posted:

Thought I'd collect some stats on my ongoing non-urgent job search. I'm currently a "level above senior" dev working remotely in the EU:

* 16 no responses so far
* 3 straight rejects
* 2 rejections post interviews, 1 after first chat (I think pay related), 1 after 5 interviews! I failed the system design one.
* 1 ongoing

I'm mostly surprised by the number of non-responses. Don't most HR systems send the rejection emails for you automatically? Without much big tech hiring going on in my region I'm finding that my current pay is pretty near the top of the market. One of my rejections paid more, and the ongoing one pays more, but that's it.

in lots of automated systems you won’t get the rejection until and unless they close out the role either by making their final hire or canceling the position. Also unless you have something they want a lot of places will just straight up ignore your app without a second thought

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

distortion park posted:

* 16 no responses so far
* 3 straight rejects
* 1 ongoing

if its ok for you to share, what are the numbers you are shooting for?

for reference i would like my next place to
be at least 100k eur tco with full remote and i am based in central eu

our levels should be similar wrt career

4lokos basilisk fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 5, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I currently make in the 110-120k EUR total comp range (in France, but for an international company). I'm aiming to not go down - I don't really dislike where I work, I can coast easily enough, and have too much ego to accept a cut tbh. Sadly there are very few companies that will match that, especially remote. There seems to be a bigger tier of companies paying in the 85-100k range for people at the senior+ level. Best people I spoke to were offering about 115 + 50k real deal equity at senior but they rejected me.

You're France to right? I can share what sort of numbers various companies were giving over dms if you're interested.

e: this looks very useful https://techpays.eu/

distortion park fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 5, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Naar posted:

hi naar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty
Applied for four Linux Sysadmin jobs this week and already got an interview for the one I want the least.
I vaguely remember only asking for 70,000 on the application ( i was drinking) and Its in the most expensive city in my state.
I should definitely use the opportunity to practice interviewing and then politely reject the offer, especially since I could possibly negotiate higher.
...but I could also be a disgusting weirdo and amuse myself greatly.
Its impossible to say which is the best approach.