Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a more sales role tip: send the thank you 24-72 hours later so it doubles as a “hey I’m waiting” without saying so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
interviewed someone who signed offer letter 2 weeks ago for a start date of Monday

sent email Wednesday giving them info needed for first day

no reply, most do but not required

sent email/text today to confirm they’re ready to start Monday…no reply

they’re not showing up on Monday, huh?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

how to not say bad things about current company and answer the question of “why do you want to find a new job”? i think i was even asked “why i want to leave my current company” which seems like a curveball with no good answers

because if i am giving the impression that what i currently do is big impact, complex, and i take quality seriously then what would be the valid reason to leave that is not “company sucks”

on the other hand if i say that my current job is not big impact and its easy and quality is not a goal then this makes me look like someone who is not worth hiring

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

4lokos basilisk posted:

how to not say bad things about current company and answer the question of “why do you want to find a new job”? i think i was even asked “why i want to leave my current company” which seems like a curveball with no good answers

because if i am giving the impression that what i currently do is big impact, complex, and i take quality seriously then what would be the valid reason to leave that is not “company sucks”

on the other hand if i say that my current job is not big impact and its easy and quality is not a goal then this makes me look like someone who is not worth hiring

those are pretty far from the only two options, though. talk about the company you're interviewing at, say you're interested in technology X. or say you're looking to grow your career in Y direction and you see a direct path at this company.

if i was asked "why do you want to leave your current company" i would probably say "i don't, necessarily. but i'm open to opportunities if X and Y"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

no idea whether it's terrible or not but I sometimes talk about lacking opportunities to grow or the future prospects of the company being limited/declining for business reasons

might be terrible though, I dunno, at least it's better than saying bad things about management or whatever (I also talk about how much I enjoy my role as well, which is usually true to be fair)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 24, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

4lokos basilisk posted:

dont talk poo poo about your current job unless there's something flagrant like "I've had 4 managers so far this year" or the company is clearly circling the drain.

generally you want to just say noncomittal bullshit things like "I feel like I'm ready for new challenges" or "I'm trying to realign my career to do X and I think this position is much closer to what I can find at my current company" or even something as pedestrian as "your company is about an hour closer to me than my current place - that commute is killing me"

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

thanks all will keep this in mind

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

4lokos basilisk posted:

"covid caused a change in culture" is p easy answer that you can use to frame that what you're looking for is somehow exactly what this job offers

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
IMO you want to avoid non committal generic statements that provide no info. this is a common question to weed out bad apples, an important part of interviewing, so providing a low value answer is bad.

but you also can’t talk poo poo about your current company. you can say things that are factual and negative just not talking poo poo.

some good possible ones:
- I don’t necessarily want to leave, this job is pretty good, but I am interested in [specific thing interviewing company does or value it brings to you to switch]
- the company is on its third round of layoffs and while I’m happy to be needed here, I’d rather join a growing org like yours
- I have two kids and work from home allows me to hug them when they get home from school

notice how each of these provides a very specific reason why A) you fit fine at this job and B) the new job is an even better fit

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

"covid caused a change in culture" is p easy answer that you can use to frame that what you're looking for is somehow exactly what this job offers

i guess badmouthing in a roundabout way like this is ok?

and also im not sure how much the “no badmouthing” rule applies here in france, where complaining is generally held in high regard

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
interviewing culture is VERY culture dependent, much of this may not apply outside the land of gun violence

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

IMO you want to avoid non committal generic statements that provide no info. this is a common question to weed out bad apples, an important part of interviewing, so providing a low value answer is bad.

but you also can’t talk poo poo about your current company. you can say things that are factual and negative just not talking poo poo.

some good possible ones:
- I don’t necessarily want to leave, this job is pretty good, but I am interested in [specific thing interviewing company does or value it brings to you to switch]
- the company is on its third round of layoffs and while I’m happy to be needed here, I’d rather join a growing org like yours
- I have two kids and work from home allows me to hug them when they get home from school

notice how each of these provides a very specific reason why A) you fit fine at this job and B) the new job is an even better fit

how about “we had a change in c levels and as a result our infrastructure efforts have become uncoordinated” but this goes directly against my general philosophy of “ok its going to ve more difficult but we will make it work”
like i dont want to give the impression that i will
bail if i feel slightly more uncomfortable in my day to day? only bad workmen blame their tools, work with the team that you have etc

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

4lokos basilisk posted:

how about “we had a change in c levels and as a result our infrastructure efforts have become uncoordinated” but this goes directly against my general philosophy of “ok its going to ve more difficult but we will make it work”
like i dont want to give the impression that i will
bail if i feel slightly more uncomfortable in my day to day? only bad workmen blame their tools, work with the team that you have etc

no that is bad because it could easily be that you’re the bad fit and doesn’t make clear why the new company is a good fit

your statement should have those two elements in one sentence

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i've successfully "shat on" a previous company by using the hiring company's desires more than once. when asked why i left a previous position, i usually give something along the lines of "i need an organization that implements %s in order to sleep well at night. While %s wasn't a priority at %s, I'm excited to see it is at %s."

you're mostly still communicating why you think you're a good fit for the new company, even if you're slightly making GBS threads on the old company

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

CarForumPoster posted:

interviewed someone who signed offer letter 2 weeks ago for a start date of Monday

sent email Wednesday giving them info needed for first day

no reply, most do but not required

sent email/text today to confirm they’re ready to start Monday…no reply

they’re not showing up on Monday, huh?

about 6 years ago we had this happen and after he no-showed my boss called him. the guy thought he was starting 12 months from that day because we hosed up the start date in the offer letter

he wasn't even in our city yet (compensated move wasn't part of the offer) and my boss was so weirded out the guy didn't follow up to confirm the date he rescinded the offer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

about 6 years ago we had this happen and after he no-showed my boss called him. the guy thought he was starting 12 months from that day because we hosed up the start date in the offer letter

he wasn't even in our city yet (compensated move wasn't part of the offer) and my boss was so weirded out the guy didn't follow up to confirm the date he rescinded the offer

lmao

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

not making GBS threads on your old company doesn't mean you can't be honest about why you're leaving

here are some examples:

* I want to <use technology x/lead a team/work in field y> and that isn't possible there
* I want to grow in my career, but the org isn't set up to support IC career growth
* I want to solve problem x, but oldjob doesn't have that problem. (this is even better if you already solved it for them)
* I'm not learning any more, and i want a new challenge
* They sold the product i was working on, it's time for me to go
* Priorities in my life have changed, and I need to think more about savings

Bad answers are "they're idiots" or "the company is gonna fold in a year" or "the codebase is a tire fire" or "the pay sucks." Basically you can say whatever as long as you can spin it as "it's not you, it's me" - as the organization doing the right thing for it, but it's not right for you (any more). they're not wrong, but they're wrong for you. the "ic growth" one above is probably the diciest as it's kinda hosed to not support ic growth, but it's also super common in smaller companies so i don't think it'd raise red flags (unless the new place can't support that either)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

super safe answer is always "oh nothings wrong there, im just always looking to see what's out there" and then say something good about the place you're interviewing with

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Corla Plankun posted:

but like, what do potential hires want back from this email? Can i just ignore it since they care just as little as I do?

I don't think you have to really do anything. A "yes it was nice meeting you too!" wouldn't hurt though.

I recently got contacted by someone who I sent a followup email to about a potential job opportunity. I ended up declining but it's nice to know that there was a door open for me.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i sent a thank you note and they responded "it was nice meeting you," what do they expect from me? why would they send this???

just pullin your chain corla don't let me keep you from askin stuff :)

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

lord fifth posted:

had a final round for an internship position today and had to do a graph traversal problem that involved multiplying edge values. i was praised for evidently being the only one out of ~200 intern applicants he's asked that question to do depth-first search on a graph iteratively instead of recursively ....

i'm not the only one who was expressly taught that doing recursion on a graph is awful practice right ????

got an offer :cool: i credit yospos as a whole and this thread

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

lord fifth posted:

goondolences

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lord fifth posted:

noice

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
goongrats. which company, if you wanna share

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
unfortunately uber. gonna keep interviewing to see if i can find a company that isn't making GBS threads money out both ends but it's a good start

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lol

goondolences it is. best of luck finding a second one

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i will prevail

i want to believe they won't run out of money by summer but this graph is frightening

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

running out of money isn't your biggest worry with uber

i hope you're getting paid for the reputation hit you're taking.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
will it be a problem on my resume? my current mindset is anything is better than defense but i dont know what opinions in industry are

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

its fine no one cares about your first job you you just need some computer touching experience

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just don't let your follow up job be meta, spacex, tesla, or defense and you're probably fine. there will definitely be people who arbitrarily pass on you over seeing uber, but that's true of absolutely any company with any level of brand recognition

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

its fine no one cares about your first job you you just need some computer touching experience

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

more like nudgenudgetilt at windmills

don't worry, you're fine. uber is not going to taint your resume. neither is meta, palantir, etc. i kinda wish they would, but that's just not realistic

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
having a big brand like Uber for an internship on your resume is a very good thing.

like super duper good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cfp is right

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i have processed all the yospos advice thank you
fwiw i pointedly did not apply to any of the other companies nnt referenced

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cfp is right but be advised that the chance of you not actually learning anything is not greater or lesser than at different places. still behooves you to learn poo poo at the internship

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
i cant spend posting cred

i can spend the dummy thicc stacks id get from the offers post grad with some time at uber and meta tho

basically this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-6YQQ779YM

you are the worker
your status is your purchasing power
you will get a transistor radio and a home if you increase productivity
all thanks to capital

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
a transistor radio i can believe. but a home? fat chance in my generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

lord fifth posted:

a transistor radio i can believe. but a home? fat chance in my generation

i married up (doctor) and now i live on a house on a lake and all my neighbors are kinda stupid

~the~american~dream~

EDIT: i did just buy my 6th or 7th new saw though its a sawzall but smaller and runs on a battery