Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

For anyone wanting remote work, I'm a "principal architect" for a big insurance company and we're still hiring 100% remote. I refuse to travel and they're fine with it. My salary/bonus is very good for working remotely in the midwest, but certainly not faang-level.

I previously worked for Allstate and they're still gung-ho on remote work, but the salary sucked and it's a mess in general. I also worked for Boeing out of college from like '09 -'12 (dev on the commercial airlines side, NOT defense) and worked remotely even then.

I guess in summary, I've made a career out of working remotely for all the shittiest companies and it's been fine! Look at some unsexy companies and you may find what you desire. I don't get why big tech continually fights against WFH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jort Fortress posted:

I guess in summary, I've made a career out of working remotely for all the shittiest companies and it's been fine! Look at some unsexy companies and you may find what you desire. I don't get why big tech continually fights against WFH.

echoing this

I work for a company whose main line of business is just as boring as insurance but is relatively forward thinking on tech stuff and we're still actively hiring fully remote positions

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jort Fortress posted:

For anyone wanting remote work, I'm a "principal architect" for a big insurance company and we're still hiring 100% remote. I refuse to travel and they're fine with it. My salary/bonus is very good for working remotely in the midwest, but certainly not faang-level.

I previously worked for Allstate and they're still gung-ho on remote work, but the salary sucked and it's a mess in general. I also worked for Boeing out of college from like '09 -'12 (dev on the commercial airlines side, NOT defense) and worked remotely even then.

Managers and leadership want control over employees lives, is why

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

silvergoose posted:

Managers and leadership want control over employees lives, is why

managers and leadership can’t justify their roles without people to manage in-person; also, management and leadership are often ineffective and it’s easier to blame remote and “lack of cohesion” than it is them being bad at their jobs

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Jort Fortress posted:

(dev on the commercial airlines side, NOT defense)
I’m not sure that’s any better?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I work for a megacorp and we're still mostly remote. I do about 1-2 half days a week just because it's easier to plan/coordinate with other members of my team.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Steve Jorbs posted:

I’m not sure that’s any better?

is this a deep cut joke about the 737 max or do you really not understand?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

granted 2019 feels like 20 years ago but not sure the 737 max debacle counts as a deep cut, OP

I will not make the "unless the 'deep cut' means the hole it scraped into the ground on impact" joke

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

just for laughs, does anyone have any experience with epic systems from madison? i am currently in milwaukee area so i figure i might apply there but everything i've heard/read about it makes it sound like a hellhole. do they actually still use vb6? what the gently caress. sounds like they basically just parasite new grads from madison and other midwest state schools and squeeze them for all they're worth?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
this forum has some Stories to tell you about epic

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the conventional wisdom is that they are a grist mill for new grads that also will not you any transferable language skills and you will wish you were using something as nice as vb6

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this forum has some Stories to tell you about epic

lmo quit sa during the whole lowtax-beating-women thing but shes the one with Stories, along with that other goon i cant remember the name of

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

icantfindaname posted:

just for laughs, does anyone have any experience with epic systems from madison? i am currently in milwaukee area so i figure i might apply there but everything i've heard/read about it makes it sound like a hellhole. do they actually still use vb6? what the gently caress. sounds like they basically just parasite new grads from madison and other midwest state schools and squeeze them for all they're worth?

my girlfriend’s sister and bil work there but not in tech. from what i understand it’s like, fine by the standards of the area, which are pretty low. I think everyone gets an office.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

raminasi posted:

I think everyone gets an office.

if I wasn't all in on remote that'd be worth about $15k/year to me

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
the phd student i do research with worked at epic right after his undergrad and he seems to think that applying for grants/fellowships and interacting with IRBs is better than anything he did there. so that might tell you something

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i have an interview tomorrow morning with the founder/ceo of a startup that just hit series b with a pretty serious bank with a good track record. any suggested questions i should ask him?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

icantfindaname posted:

I interviewed with them when i was job hunting just before graduation (about seven years ago), and they had me take some kind of IQ test (remote, proctored, camera on) and then wanted spec work. i accepted another job before i could even start the spec work, tho. that might just be for college hires.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i have an interview tomorrow morning with the founder/ceo of a startup that just hit series b with a pretty serious bank with a good track record. any suggested questions i should ask him?

thats what the op page 1 is for

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i did not know those were there! thank you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ok wait what could have been in the "when interviewing" portion that made it redacted

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

ask to see their cap table

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

if nothing else the way they say no will be very telling

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

best bet is to ask for a sensual kiss on the mouth

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

best bet is to ask for a sensual kiss on the mouth

you gotta be more aggressive with founders

start by asking for at least hand stuff, then fall back on the kiss

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nudgenudgetilt posted:

you gotta be more aggressive with founders

start by asking for at least hand stuff, then fall back on the kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Zz-Nkkaxc&t=180s

start at 3 min if it doesn’t work

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

carry on then posted:

ok wait what could have been in the "when interviewing" portion that made it redacted

the person who posted the advice in the first place wanted it retracted

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PIZZA.BAT posted:

shout out to whoever wrote the start up questions in the op. the founder liked me and they’re scheduling the final interview now :toot:

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

shout out to whoever wrote the start up questions in the op. the founder liked me and they’re scheduling the final interview now :toot:

:toot: hell yeah get it

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I got a webcam in case I get a remote job interview, but it's not going to work on top of or behind my 32" monitor. It shows a side view unless I'm turning directly toward it, which I guess is okay. There's a lot of clutter in its view that isn't mine, though

after moving the cam to the front of the desk:

No one likes the chin-up angle, better than nothing, though

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 14, 2022

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
if you end up using it regularly you’ll need to find a better spot, but just putting it in front of your monitor for the duration of an interview is not a big deal

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also literally everyone uses custom backgrounds

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

The Fool posted:

also literally everyone uses custom backgrounds

or just blur it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Flaming June posted:

just blur it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm gonna cover the wall behind me in erotic Japanese woodcuts whenever I do Zoom interviews

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

you should work on your appearance a bit. those black squares look hastily thrown together and leave an impression that you are the kind of person who cuts corners

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PIZZA.BAT posted:

interview went really well. just one left this friday with the guy who will be my euro counterpart

pray for p dece six and a half figs, friends

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

interview went really well. just one left this friday with the guy who will be my euro counterpart

pray for p dece six and a half figs, friends

sending figgie vibes, good luck on the dealio

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

new gig is asking for references several weeks after I accepted the offer. seems like a weird order to do this but okay, whatever

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Asleep Style posted:

new gig is asking for references several weeks after I accepted the offer. seems like a weird order to do this but okay, whatever

This is bizarre and would put me on edge.

edit:my tired brain read this as asking for references after you started work…my b

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Asleep Style posted:

verbally accepted the offer, or signed the paperwork?

if you haven't signed paperwork yet, hr is probably just slow as gently caress and finally getting around to checking their boxes.