Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Progressive JPEG posted:

oh yeah if you actually worked with someone thats different, good point

i just mean with the interview process youre only having brief interactions with potentially dozens of candidates and its unlikely youll remember any of them for very long

oops i know i responded to you but wasn't my intent to counter what you posted, your first post was right on. people def aren't going to remember you being a lovely interviewee unless it involved assault charges or something

CPColin posted:

That's a pro dodge.

yeah

"i don't ask" could mean "i don't ask but we definitely expect you to volunteer and will punish you at review time if you don't"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also gently caress coding tests

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cold on a Cob posted:

oops i know i responded to you but wasn't my intent to counter what you posted, your first post was right on. people def aren't going to remember you being a lovely interviewee unless it involved assault charges or something

yeah

"i don't ask" could mean "i don't ask but we definitely expect you to volunteer and will punish you at review time if you don't"

it’s a very strangely worded answer and that is worrying

the correct answer was one word: no

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

qhat posted:

So, right now after a beer or two, I'm thinking turning down the counter-offer is absolutely the correct thing to do. At the end of the day, the counter offer is in the company's best interests; not necessarily mine. It exists because they have no idea who the replacement is and are scared it could be someone who has no idea what they are doing. I can help with that in my notice period, but ultimately that's their problem.

Also, I've spoken to numerous ex-EA (senior) employees while I've been here. Absolutely none of them, even those currently working for companies such as MS (i.e people who have no reason to give them a clean bill of health), so far have recommended not working for them. They're very adamant EA (now) is very different to EA (2010). I also asked the hiring manager "how often do you guys work overtime", and he said, without hesitation, "I can count on one hand the number of times I've asked people to work overtime". Basically, I'm willing to give it a shot. I might be making a horrible mistake, but who knows.

I would say if the problem is money only take the counter offer and keep enjoying an otherwise good workplace. on the other hand i guess it will end up ruining some of that relationship because now it’s somewhat public that you almost left

i remember one coworker did something like that in the past: almost quit but then they reached a deal and he still works there and has good relations and this was 5 years ago

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

e: oh wow this is huge here's the timg version

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

e: oh wow this is huge here's the timg version

that's way too many words

The letter should read

"I am resigning my position at company effective on date."

How you have the conversation when you drop that letter on your boss' desk is another matter entirely

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

it's a joke

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Penisface posted:

I would say if the problem is money only take the counter offer and keep enjoying an otherwise good workplace. on the other hand i guess it will end up ruining some of that relationship because now it’s somewhat public that you almost left

i remember one coworker did something like that in the past: almost quit but then they reached a deal and he still works there and has good relations and this was 5 years ago

It's not public, the only people who know are my boss and his direct manager (the CEO).

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm actually considering taking the counter offer but with the condition of a severe 2-3 months severance if I'm let go without cause within the next 12 months. That could at least guarantee they don't try to ninja replace me when the current project is done.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

qhat posted:

It's not public, the only people who know are my boss and his direct manager (the CEO).

not too bad then. I would consider that changing jobs is extra stress and your future coworkers might not be as pleasant.

my position right now is somewhat similar as in I quit mostly because of money (but also due to the startup mess and full of poo poo boss). in my case the company never even tried to counter offer but i am pretty sure i would have stayed if they had. i don’t consider myself a greedy person and the sum they were paying was less than i made 3 years ago on a 4 day week gig so i feel i made the correct decision

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

qhat posted:

I'm actually considering taking the counter offer but with the condition of a severe 2-3 months severance if I'm let go without cause within the next 12 months. That could at least guarantee they don't try to ninja replace me when the current project is done.

if you think they could pull that then to me this sounds like you don’t trust each other enough as it is. probably better to bail now and not risk the offer in hand

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

I guess this is another nice thing about capitalism how salary min maxing on both sides of the employee-employer divide will eventually lead to lovely work environments where nobody trusts anyone else and everyone’s afraid of losing good people or getting laid off suddenly

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
please never take a counter offer

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Penisface posted:

if you think they could pull that then to me this sounds like you don’t trust each other enough as it is. probably better to bail now and not risk the offer in hand

If you're that concerned that they're going to get rid of you and you're going to end up in a position to have to look for a new job, probably should take the job that you've already done the work to get.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

qhat posted:

you should in general not take the counter offer, but if you distrust your employer this much you should absolutely not take the counter offer, come on

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
just did some some job application homework

“you’ll have 90 minutes, but it shouldn’t take you more than 30!”

20 minutes for the single-threaded version, 10 more for a safely concurrent version, 30 more yet for a safely concurrent version that passed their “is your concurrent version actually faster” test. and to get there I had to ignore all their hints about using synchronized and instead use a concurrent collection and an atomic. hope it’s right, or else I’ll look like a jackass! I might look like one anyway!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

qhat posted:

Just handed in notice and reminded why it sucks.

30 minutes after I tell my boss, the CEO speaks to me in person and offers to match the comp +5% that EA is offering. I feel like contemplating it because I have a really good rapport with my boss and also the CEO, and also I genuinely care about our products and my work, but my logical side is screaming at me that this is just a desperation move and that I'd never have gotten if I didn't hold a gun to their head. Accepting the counter offer would also burn all bridges with EA in the future (not necessarily a bad outcome). Someone tell me that I should turn this down without hesitation.

you should take it. EA loving sucks to work for (especially in vancouver, where i think you are?)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Penisface posted:

I trust them, but you can never really know what people are thinking in business. Honestly it's just for insurance, I'd never expect to actually have to invoke it if the company is bargaining in good faith. Since it would essentially not cost the company a penny, them having an issue with it would say more about their intentions than their "honest" word ever could.

qhat fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 27, 2019

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

qhat posted:

I trust them, but you can never really know what people are thinking in business. Honestly it's just for insurance, I'd never expect to actually have to invoke it if the company is bargaining in good faith. Since it would essentially not cost the company a penny, them having an issue with it would say more about their intentions than their "honest" word ever could.

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!""
"OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gallatin posted:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!""
"OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."

Well half the people are saying take it because lol EA while the other half are saying never take the counter offer, so :shrug:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
OP: “help help I’m trapped in a cage hanging over a pit of spikes and I set the rope holding the cage on fire”

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Qhat it took me 5 years and a lawsuit to recover what was promised in a counteroffer that I accepted.

Just sayin

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Let me learn that lesson for you

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
You made me do an effort post - presented without further comment.
------------------------------------------------------------------
QUIT: 11
EA SUCKS: 3 (2 stay, 1 quit)
STAY: 2 [f the people saying to outright accept the counter (3), two of them are doing so because the new employer is EA. Also, one of them changed their mind given further information from you.]
DEPENDS, I'M HELPING: 3

BAIL WHILE YOU CAN:
===============================

Schadenboner posted:

Ask him to pro-rate it to the middle of last year. That way you know if the counter-offer is a fake offer (that is, they pay you more while shopping your replacement).
Alternatively: NEVER TAKE THE COUNTER-OFFER, but (while a useful general principle) that seems too doctrinaire a policy and may not apply to your situation?

AWWNAW posted:

I’ve only regretted not taking the counter once. and only because the counter was huge. if I’d taken it I just would’ve kept looking anyway while making more money and still hating the job. I think the general advice is good. it’s easy to be emotionally swayed by people wanting you to not leave. also 5% doesn’t seem like that much

Gallatin posted:

The first time this happened I accepted the counter, it was only match + a slight token and eventually I left anyway.
For me, ever since, if I have taken the time to go as far as getting an offer from a new employer there are a enough (if not a lot of) reasons to leave and I have not regretted leaving. To stay and accept a counter the difference would need to be 2x, not just a match, they need to give me a reason to stay and I already have the match.

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah skip the counter if they wanted you that badly you wouldn't have to work for it

PokeJoe posted:

Always leave and say the pay is bad and they should have made it right earlier. How will they ever learn if these garbage last minute token offers work all the time. gently caress em

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

never accept the counter offer

jesus WEP posted:

5X

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

never accept the counter offer

Cold on a Cob posted:

when i quit my job in october i took a counteroffer (sorta - they asked me back on contract)
on monday i'm giving notice that i'm terminating that contract effective end of Feb
:toot:

Penisface posted:

GenJoe posted:

please never take a counter offer

jesus WEP posted:

you should in general not take the counter offer, but if you distrust your employer this much you should absolutely not take the counter offer, come on

COUNTER:
================

Schadenboner posted:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also holy poo poo gently caress working at a game company

Penisface posted:

not too bad then. I would consider that changing jobs is extra stress and your future coworkers might not be as pleasant.
my position right now is somewhat similar as in I quit mostly because of money (but also due to the startup mess and full of poo poo boss). in my case the company never even tried to counter offer but i am pretty sure i would have stayed if they had. i don’t consider myself a greedy person and the sum they were paying was less than i made 3 years ago on a 4 day week gig so i feel i made the correct decision
***(later changed to quit based on new evidence) ***

the talent deficit posted:

you should take it. EA loving sucks to work for (especially in vancouver, where i think you are?)

DEPENDS:
=====================

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

taking the counteroffer can be dangerous, but taking the counteroffer is also a chance to get paid more to do the same job
also holy poo poo gently caress working at a game company

Progressive JPEG posted:

for what it's worth ive twice had counter offers upon turning in my resignation and in hindsight i think turning them down and moving on was 100% the right move in both cases
its not like you just decided to have an offer for a new position float into your lap, obviously something significant was wrong with the current place for you to put the effort into looking elsewhere. and i could see it being mega awkward sticking around at a place after a situation like that
that said, EA lol
edit: also re "burning bridges" nobody cares and within 3-6mo everyone is guaranteed to have forgotten your face/name anyway. a few months ago an applicant at my last company had skipped the flight we'd booked for their onsite interview with zero notice and i forgot their name within a week

Penisface posted:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah i was burned hard by accepting a counter offer but it was also my first job out of school and i’d decided to trust The Great Satan, Oracle of all companies. i wouldn’t accept a counter unless i felt really good about it

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Unless you're an executive managing hundreds/thousands of people and the board personally demands the business make a counter offer to keep you because you are a key employee (and your 500k salary reflects that) and that offer is comprehensive in bonus/stock/career advancement and you've run it by your lawyer and life coach, negotiated the contract language and everyone is cool, only then do you accept a counter offer. Otherwise never accept a counter offer.

The counter offer is like getting back with an ex. Yeah sometimes, rarely, it works out. But in the vast majority of cases it doesn't.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
sounds like you're damned if you do, damned if you don't lol

take the EA engine job, if and when it sucks leverage it to get a similar position elsewhere

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
it is entirely possible to work for a game company in recent years and have normal hours, interesting problems to solve, and not be treated like disposable garbage.

it's also possible to have the exact opposite experience; it's highly dependent on a) your role and b) the company you work for.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

it is entirely possible to work for a game company in recent years and have normal hours, interesting problems to solve, and not be treated like disposable garbage.

it's also possible to have the exact opposite experience; it's highly dependent on a) your role and b) the company you work for.

We know the role and company and it tells us its prolly the poo poo kind of game job

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I saw it in the wild, that an employee would have to sign an "assignment of inventions" agreement or some bullshit on the posting page. Yes, you are going to patent my *checks notes* Project Euler work in functional Python.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Unless you're an executive managing hundreds/thousands of people and the board personally demands the business make a counter offer to keep you because you are a key employee (and your 500k salary reflects that) and that offer is comprehensive in bonus/stock/career advancement and you've run it by your lawyer and life coach, negotiated the contract language and everyone is cool, only then do you accept a counter offer. Otherwise never accept a counter offer.

The counter offer is like getting back with an ex. Yeah sometimes, rarely, it works out. But in the vast majority of cases it doesn't.

right but the other option here is taking a job at electronic arts

this is like choosing between getting back with an ex, and deciding to gently caress a bear

not a hairy gay dude. an actual bear. the large, foul-tempered forest mammal

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

right but the other option here is taking a job at electronic arts

this is like choosing between getting back with an ex, and deciding to gently caress a bear

not a hairy gay dude. an actual bear. the large, foul-tempered forest mammal

but then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQlIhraqL7o

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
if he were working contract on a specific game project then yes, he probably shouldn't take the job, but I'd imagine the engine folks are a lot more entrenched in the company

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's done, I declined the counter. Time for some bear loving.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

qhat posted:

get it to wear a condom at least, i guess

i dunno what that means in this metaphor

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Afterwards my manager actually confided in me that he almost quit before Christmas, and so did another co-worker. I guess never take the counter?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bob dobbs is dead posted:

get it to wear a condom at least, i guess

i dunno what that means in this metaphor

here are some bear penis bones to liven up your day

Size Mattered to Ancient Bear, Penis Bones Suggest
https://www.livescience.com/39895-ancient-bear-penis-bone.html

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

here are some bear penis bones to liven up your day

Size Mattered to Ancient Bear, Penis Bones Suggest
https://www.livescience.com/39895-ancient-bear-penis-bone.html

that's the "rib" that god took from adam to make eve

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

qhat posted:

good for you

qhat posted:

Afterwards my manager actually confided in me that he almost quit before Christmas, and so did another co-worker. I guess never take the counter?

You made the right choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

qhat posted:

hahahha you idiot you declined the counter?!?!

just kidding you did the right thing