Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol this is working for the norwegian state so maybe it's just nordic bureaucracy. i'd be great at this job though, every day spent considering is a day they could have had me already working there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question: are you supposed to send a thank you letter after interviews, including phone screens?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

iospace posted:

Question: are you supposed to send a thank you letter after interviews, including phone screens?

No, and no. But you can if you want.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

I send thank you’s after in person interviews. not expected though.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

iospace posted:

I do just so I can tell them I’m Very Excited for the Opportunity. highly doubt it’s ever made a difference

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

This is getting weird... So I had that interview with AWS, sounded like too much ops stuff, oh well, pass on it.

Hiring manager reaches out, explains that the developer I spoke with was incorrect (hmmm... ok), describes something that sounds very much like ops work, and explains that they're in the "stabilization" part of the project. Ok, thanks for the clarification, sounds like the boring bug squashing part of every project without the fun of helping design it, so still doesn't sound interesting, i politely tell them I'm not interested but would talk to other teams at AWS.

Now the recruiter explains someone ELSE with the team wants to talk? It was weird enough to do it once after a pretty mediocre phone interview, but... again?

Meanwhile there are other teams at AWS that could potentially be interesting, so this is sort of distracting us from those teams... I suspect they're having a hard time filling reqs on this team, probably because the work is just as boring as it sounds

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Boiled Water posted:

i'm currently in the danish IRS and boy did they take their sweet time in making a decision.

im in the american version and it took about 6 months to go from application to start date. this must have been some kind of record because i know people that had to wait 2+ years

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The place I interviewed at a couple of weeks ago PFO’ed me, although it was a fairly polite PFO.

Still no word on the CJ role I put in for at the local community college a month ago.

:sigh:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just got turned down from a job i really wanted

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Foo posted:

that sucks :(

sweet new avatar tho :shobon:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

FMguru posted:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Captain Foo posted:

:( this is gonna be me next week

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

:( this is gonna be me next week

same

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

thanks! Never forget the av thread

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

The place I interviewed at a couple of weeks ago PFO’ed me, although it was a fairly polite PFO.

Still no word on the CJ role I put in for at the local community college a month ago.

:sigh:

what's a pfo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Please gently caress Off.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Please gently caress Off.

Ok, but what does PFO mean?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

Ok, but what does PFO mean?

nice

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
It's very cool when companies tell you that you did great on the technical interview then ghost you for weeks. Great process this.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Kilometres Davis posted:

It's very cool when companies tell you that you did great on the technical interview then ghost you for weeks. Great process this.
If your ghosting period is any shorter than indefinite then you're doing better than most.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i had the most epic candidate to interview yesterday

he was basically the people skills dude from office space, but happy excited instead of angry excited, he had a mullet, and a new york* accent

i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcIMIyQnOso

*i say new york but i'm bad at accents. maybe a jersey accent?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i'm pretty sure that 90% of people looking up 2d array syntax documentation are either preparing for or actually doing tech screens

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i am a dumb idiot who knows nothing about his own field so i guess another poorly concieved enterprise website it is!

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Would you guys spend 4 hours on a code screen for a non-tech company?

Background: 9 yrs experience, mostly .NET. Currently work in healthcare making just under 120k base and work 100% remote, but the team is a dead-end and I'm bored as gently caress. We mostly support legacy crapware and a bunch of vendor garbage, with a sprinkling of .NET MVC and .NET Core apps. Work/life balance and benefits are outstanding, but I could see us all being laid off in the next couple of years.

A recruiter from Charles Schwab contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in a lead engineer role. It's all modern MS stuff (.NET Core/Angular/etc) which I really enjoy, and sounds like a good bit of architectural work. Base around 140k (which is way above average here in Denver) + bonus. Significantly less PTO (15 days vs. 26) and crappier benefits overall, plus only 1 or 2 days remote/week.

I'm considering it, but the first step is a 4 hour(!) code screen. WTF. After that would be onsite interviews, which involves some wannabe tech company whiteboard gauntlet. So even non-tech companies are doing code screen and whiteboarding garbage now. I'm tempted to just stay in my current role and let my skills rot, but being bored all the time is making me depressed/anxious.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What kind of code screen is it? If it's take home, then yes, if the reward was potentially worth it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
that just sounds like a miscommunication, i agree that it’s probably a take home.

i’d do a 4 hour take home for a company i was interested in, assuming it’s really 4 hours.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Fart Johnson posted:

Would you guys spend 4 hours on a code screen for a non-tech company?

Background: 9 yrs experience, mostly .NET. Currently work in healthcare making just under 120k base and work 100% remote, but the team is a dead-end and I'm bored as gently caress. We mostly support legacy crapware and a bunch of vendor garbage, with a sprinkling of .NET MVC and .NET Core apps. Work/life balance and benefits are outstanding, but I could see us all being laid off in the next couple of years.

A recruiter from Charles Schwab contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in a lead engineer role. It's all modern MS stuff (.NET Core/Angular/etc) which I really enjoy, and sounds like a good bit of architectural work. Base around 140k (which is way above average here in Denver) + bonus. Significantly less PTO (15 days vs. 26) and crappier benefits overall, plus only 1 or 2 days remote/week.

I'm considering it, but the first step is a 4 hour(!) code screen. WTF. After that would be onsite interviews, which involves some wannabe tech company whiteboard gauntlet. So even non-tech companies are doing code screen and whiteboarding garbage now. I'm tempted to just stay in my current role and let my skills rot, but being bored all the time is making me depressed/anxious.

a 16% raise for a decrease in quality of life doesn't really sound appealing to me but i also don't know the extent of how boring your current work is

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
pto is always negotiable

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Rex-Goliath posted:

a 16% raise for a decrease in quality of life doesn't really sound appealing to me but i also don't know the extent of how boring your current work is

the new bonus is most likely substantially larger than the old one

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really hate working on garbage dead end software i'll let you know when i find a job where i dont have to

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

qhat posted:

What kind of code screen is it? If it's take home, then yes, if the reward was potentially worth it.

It's at home, but they require a webcam be on the entire time. Just seems insulting that for a lead role they won't even do a phone screen.

Rex-Goliath posted:

The work is extremely boring and the red tape is like none other, but I think you're right. We have a pension here as well, so probably worth sticking around. It sucks not having anyone to learn from at work, though.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pto is always negotiable

I specifically asked and the recruiter was adamant that it isn't negotiable, lol.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i really hate working on garbage dead end software i'll let you know when i find a job where i dont have to

I've been on ONE team that was all greenfield development and it was glorious. I'll never stop chasing that dragon...

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Fart Johnson posted:

I've been on ONE team that was all greenfield development and it was glorious. I'll never stop chasing that dragon...

how's the guilt?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If PTO isn't negotiable then sever lol. Yeah we'll give you tens of thousands more dollars a month but those extra 5 days are out of the question. Think about the kind of person who this makes sense to.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
having worked at Charles Schwab, all the .Net people were tasked with breaking out 500 year old code to service based architectures, so if that sounds "fun" to you go crazy

Also my team/department used mongoDB in the dumbest way humanly possible so

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Scionix posted:

having worked at Charles Schwab, all the .Net people were tasked with breaking out 500 year old code to service based architectures, so if that sounds "fun" to you go crazy

Also my team/department used mongoDB in the dumbest way humanly possible so

Thanks for the info, what location were you in? The team here in Denver falls under "AIM Technology", whatever that stands for. Anyway, the job description involved re-writing/modernizing a bunch of legacy apps, so you're probably spot on.

I'm going to dip out of the process, I don't feel like spending 4 hours then getting ghosted.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Fart Johnson posted:

Thanks for the info, what location were you in? The team here in Denver falls under "AIM Technology", whatever that stands for. Anyway, the job description involved re-writing/modernizing a bunch of legacy apps, so you're probably spot on.

I'm going to dip out of the process, I don't feel like spending 4 hours then getting ghosted.

Austin, I was in their robo portfolio section. Basically grabbed poo poo off of a database with financial data and did stuff with it to display to clients.

Using mongo to store financial transactions with strict schema typing = wtf r u doin

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the dumbest way to use mongo is to use it at all

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qhat posted:

If PTO isn't negotiable then sever lol. Yeah we'll give you tens of thousands more dollars a month but those extra 5 days are out of the question. Think about the kind of person who this makes sense to.

as if the "spend half a work-day on our test and maybe we'll talk" thing wasn't a huge red flag to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
It's funny because they were pretty chill about that poo poo in Austin, the main problem was they are huge AGILE nazis and there's huge processes on doing anything