Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

mekkanare posted:

What's the justification for two coding interviews by phone before an onsite with the same FANG company? Is this normal or should I ask the recruiter wtf is up.

super borderline? i had this happen at a not-faang once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ADINSX posted:

I've worked at lots of companies that have gotten by just fine without anyone being yelled at, especially not someone who's sole job it is to be yelled at.
i bet you've never even rented a face job white guy to pretend to be an investor

what's that? your employment history isn't representative of every culture on the planet wow who could have known oh my stars

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ADINSX posted:

I am also curious, what's the benefit to the company in this scenario? Keeping extra employees we don't want on the payroll to... own the libs?

it's japan, the land where you aren't fired, just reassigned to "chief architect of posterior support services" where your job is to count chairs in the basement all day, or sent to some remote branch office in the middle of nowhere where they also send the unmarried 30+ women to get you to quit

op may very well be competent, but when it's obvious that you were hired by someone to be a scapegoat it's hard to be optimistic about your future

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are the reassignments actually BAD? like could someone spend all their time reading and writing or whatever and bang out their actual responsibilities in 30m a week?

asking for a friend

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
reassignment doesn’t mean no work - there is endless trivial poo poo to be done. you will just never get to make any sort of decision or have any influence again.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh how terrible! *books flight*

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Piano Maniac posted:

I have bad news - I ran through the company papers with my wife and man, she was not pleased.
Apparently it's a common scheme in Japan where they take obviously unqualified staff as IT people, throw them at large corps to get yelled at.
Guess who's the unqualified piece of rear end - that's me.

God, I just want a good loving job here. Just because I made a few bad mistakes in the past of getting a
lovely low-end jobs way up until I am 27 doesn't mean I am doomed to mediocrity and working in the loving service industry.
Let me use my sperg brain damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

1. you are not unqualified. even if you are unqualified, this is a temporary thing where you will become qualified learning on the job. example: i am not qualified atm to write code at work because it is a new language and new stack and a million other excuses - i will learn it and the company is OK with me spending time to become productive. japan's IT game is really outdated, you will find that even in the best of cases you are surprisingly qualified
2. worst case scenario - you get some experience and walk away to something better. you are not japanese, you are not married to your job and every recruiter you talk to will understand that nobody has to take bullshit like that, especially tech workers in the midst of a huge bubble

that said, probably you are not desperate enough to take the 1st dodgy offer you get, so i suggest to wait a while and see how it goes. you just started looking for jobs 2 weeks ago. for comparison - my first job search in japan took 5 months from first recruiter contact to offer signing

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

working for IBM: bad idea or terrible idea?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

are the reassignments actually BAD? like could someone spend all their time reading and writing or whatever and bang out their actual responsibilities in 30m a week?

asking for a friend

my impression is that the japanese way of "firing" someone is just to mindfuck them until they leave. reading descriptions of this stuff does not convey the experience, because it will be tailored to you specifically for maximum psychological impact. it is really easy to do that especially if you are a foreigner who already feels weird and ostracized because you are not a part of the society proper

just like reading marina abramovic doing a thing where she sits in a chair for a full day and going haha i could do that

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrbhBhDlhvo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i guess i know it’ll be horrible but does IBM still have any caché to have on your resume or has that ship long sailed now

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

jesus WEP posted:

i know a guy working for them in the boston area

he said it's "ok"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

its probably corporate_america.txt all the way through, but with the old pillars of tech instead of the insanity thats going around in the valley

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The_Franz posted:

it's japan, the land where you aren't fired, just reassigned to "chief architect of posterior support services" where your job is to count chairs in the basement all day, or sent to some remote branch office in the middle of nowhere where they also send the unmarried 30+ women to get you to quit

op may very well be competent, but when it's obvious that you were hired by someone to be a scapegoat it's hard to be optimistic about your future

Sure, so they should be even more careful who they hire and not intentionally bring on what they consider "dead weight". Not suggesting that the op is anything like that btw, its just a weird idea.

JawnV6 posted:

i bet you've never even rented a face job white guy to pretend to be an investor

what's that? your employment history isn't representative of every culture on the planet wow who could have known oh my stars

lol yikes. Except the point of the "white guy investor" is obvious, they think that's going to impress someone so they hire him to sit in meetings and thoughtfully take off his glasses or something. But sure ok I'll try and be more open minded and respectful of the valued cultural practice of *checks notes* hiring someone for no other purpose than to abuse them.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ADINSX posted:

Sure, so they should be even more careful who they hire and not intentionally bring on what they consider "dead weight". Not suggesting that the op is anything like that btw, its just a weird idea.

lol yikes. Except the point of the "white guy investor" is obvious, they think that's going to impress someone so they hire him to sit in meetings and thoughtfully take off his glasses or something. But sure ok I'll try and be more open minded and respectful of the valued cultural practice of *checks notes* hiring someone for no other purpose than to abuse them.

lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Blinkz0rz posted:

i know a guy working for them in the boston area

he said it's "ok"

yeah this is what i’ve heard as well. if you’re looking for a long term and steady gig to support a family you could do a hell of a lot worse than IBM. if you’re single and looking to go places with your career than ehhhh you could do a lot better than IBM

it’s basically :geno: in job form

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rex-Goliath posted:

sounds fine tho, especially if you just want to work but don't want to bring 100% enthusiasm 100% of the time

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jesus WEP posted:

it's going to depend pretty heavily on what division and what site

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rex-Goliath posted:

reminder: we’re hiring

What locations do you have?

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Does IBM still fire people for being old? Seems like the opposite of a long term steady gig if so.

'Cutting Old Heads' at IBM

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

iospace posted:

What locations do you have?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&perpage=40&pagenumber=100#post489992424

That posting is for our consulting branch- and we’re hiring essentially globally for that. Engineering/Support Engineering you’ll be in San Carlos. Sales / Sales Engineering you’ll be either New York or DC.

I only have firm insight into our consulting branch but I know Engineering is hiring as well. I just won’t be able to assist you as much as i could if you were looking for a consulting gig.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

jesus WEP posted:

you know they're going to make you use lotus notes right

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maximum Leader posted:

they sold the notes development to hcl so hopefully not for long

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’s the belfast office so maybe the worst of american corporate bullshit is toned down

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah this is what i’ve heard as well. if you’re looking for a long term and steady gig to support a family you could do a hell of a lot worse than IBM. if you’re single and looking to go places with your career than ehhhh you could do a lot better than IBM

One of my closest friends is at IBM and I've met a bunch of their colleagues, this is the impression I get.

Like, as of 2013-2014 their team was building cgi-bin scripts in Perl 4, and if I'm reading between the lines correctly my friend didn't get any stock grants, so it isn't clear that you'll have anything to add to your resume or be able to stack those figgies, but eh it's a job I guess?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
what ive heard from relatives who have worked at ibm is that its an ok gig but that every exaggerated story youve ever heard about the paperwork and bureaucracy inside a very big company is 100% true there. tasks are spread across dozens of teams stretching across the globe so decisions and implementations take forever and no one is ever accountable for anything. an ok place to park yourself and collect paychecks but not much more than that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dijkstracula posted:

Like, as of 2013-2014 their team was building cgi-bin scripts in Perl 4
Hnghhahhahahahha theyll be so hosed when a recession hits

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Dijkstracula posted:

One of my closest friends is at IBM and I've met a bunch of their colleagues, this is the impression I get.

Like, as of 2013-2014 their team was building cgi-bin scripts in Perl 4, and if I'm reading between the lines correctly my friend didn't get any stock grants, so it isn't clear that you'll have anything to add to your resume or be able to stack those figgies, but eh it's a job I guess?

advancement is super slow, like there are people with 30 years with the company who are only 2 or 3 promotions above a new hire

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

that era is over, unless you're in one of their India campuses

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ADINSX posted:

i wasn't asking for "respect" or justifying the practice, just pointing out that maybe, just maybe, something actually exists that you haven't personally experienced and would find less than ideal? that maybe the poster can be taken at their word and given relevant advice to the situation instead of just writing it off as categorically impossible?

im sorry that you find this insinuation so personally insulting. super weird that no job category or classification has ever happened without you being personally appraised of it's existence beforehand, but i guess you're the expert

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Piano Maniac posted:

I have bad news - I ran through the company papers with my wife and man, she was not pleased.
Apparently it's a common scheme in Japan where they take obviously unqualified staff as IT people, throw them at large corps to get yelled at.
Guess who's the unqualified piece of rear end - that's me.

God, I just want a good loving job here. Just because I made a few bad mistakes in the past of getting a
lovely low-end jobs way up until I am 27 doesn't mean I am doomed to mediocrity and working in the loving service industry.
Let me use my sperg brain damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

hey, it turns out this literally never happens because ADINSX doesn't think your second-hand description makes sense as a role long term, so you should definitely ignore your wife's opinion and go for the job!!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

JawnV6 posted:

i wasn't asking for "respect" or justifying the practice, just pointing out that maybe, just maybe, something actually exists that you haven't personally experienced and would find less than ideal? that maybe the poster can be taken at their word and given relevant advice to the situation instead of just writing it off as categorically impossible?

im sorry that you find this insinuation so personally insulting. super weird that no job category or classification has ever happened without you being personally appraised of it's existence beforehand, but i guess you're the expert

lol jesus christ do you really think I don't believe that dumb poo poo can happen in business? Of course I believe it can, I just find it weird and shocking and it doesn't make a lot of sense. I wanted to know more about the practice, ideally from someone like piano manic or penisface who actually lives and works in japan, or maybe even you if you work there too, I don't know.

What I got instead is you acting like a dick for no reason

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

good morning interview thread, getting ready for my flight

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

good morning interview thread, getting ready for my flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus&hd=1

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a man is coming to take apart some shelves today

tomorrow the movers will come

:ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

got another lead to look into this morning

recruiter says they don't do onsite interviews before making a hiring decision, just a phone screen plus lengthy hangout+code session, which feels odd for a non-remote job. i'll have to make sure i'll get a chance to do my half of the interviewing, i suppose

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I bet ibm is a great place to work for anyone who wants to be regularly pulled onto a vp’s project to build something, anything that uses the latest buzzwords he read about in Fortune

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

interviewing is going to be even more garbarge in the UK soon

Brexit plans: Four in ten tech companies consider move abroad

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Private Speech posted:

everything is going to be even more garbarge in the UK soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I've had no complaints with IBM. Only wish I had more vacation as a new hire.

Maximum Leader posted:

Can't use lotus notes if it never works. *thinking gif*

Seriously, no one likes it, the setup is painful, and my team's mostly moved to slack.