Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it sounds like they are preparing to be acquired or raise money and need to get your vacation time off their books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
RSUs are the best when you know they will be worth something when they vest.

Edit:

I think unlimited PTO largely depends on your manager. I’ve taken several days of PTO and my boss doesn’t give two shits. So long as the project is on time I could take a month off and he wouldn’t care.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 29, 2020

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ratbert90 posted:

So long as the project is on time

lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

well, as I said, management is really important here.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PIZZA.BAT posted:

so far all of my experiences with faang interviews have been extremely negative. back when i had my internship in silicon valley the whole scene was still extremely pretentious regarding whether or not you came from a pedigree school and i could sense people's demeanor towards me immediately shifting when they found out i was from a lowly state school. ever since any time i've interviewed i've always eventually talked to someone who i could tell wasn't even pretending to pay attention and the next day would get my rejection. gently caress them
My Google interview process never had my education come up, possibly because I don't have any (no CS degree or classes).

Google trusts their interview process enough that there are quite a few "no degree but some industry or open source experience" people getting through it. As cumbersome as it is, it's at least not blind to people like me.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah I have a cs minor but all the actual degrees are in one of the humanities. I've never even heard of anybody at google giving a poo poo whether or not somebody went to stanford (and this includes a couple people on my team who went to stanford)

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

FMguru posted:

please consult the title of this thread and take appropriate action
Just waiting for my wife to finish the school year so we can gtfo of this hell state (spoiler: they’re all hell states)

The Management posted:

it sounds like they are preparing to be acquired or raise money and need to get your vacation time off their books
This was actually after acquisition and merger into a parent mega corporation. Before that the company had standard vacation accrual.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
anyone I worked with who went to Stanford was an insufferable dick, and if I see it on a resumé it’s a giant red flag

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

anyone I worked with who went to Stanford was an insufferable dick, and if I see it on a resumé it’s a giant red flag

Sounds like the sort of thing somebody who wasn't good enough to get into Stanford would say :smug:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sapozhnik posted:

Sounds like the sort of thing somebody who wasn't good enough to get into Stanford would say :smug:

I wasn’t good enough to get into a lot of schools

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

I wasn’t old money enough to get into a lot of schools

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Yes he already said "good"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Management posted:

actually it's a giant cardinal red flag

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

My Google interview process never had my education come up, possibly because I don't have any (no CS degree or classes).

Google trusts their interview process enough that there are quite a few "no degree but some industry or open source experience" people getting through it. As cumbersome as it is, it's at least not blind to people like me.

i think the ivy league bias was more of a thing around 2005-2010, it doesn't seem to still be a big limiter these days

but yeah seeing attendance at an ivy league school would definitely be a red flag for me on a resume. you're trying to hire a competent person to do a job, not provide a sinecure for the kids of old money.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
a lot of the people in my cohort still have shame about going to a state school

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DuckConference posted:

i think the ivy league bias was more of a thing around 2005-2010, it doesn't seem to still be a big limiter these days

but yeah seeing attendance at an ivy league school would definitely be a red flag for me on a resume. you're trying to hire a competent person to do a job, not provide a sinecure for the kids of old money.

The old money kids aren't studying CS or applying to jobs at your company.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i did know a kid of a billionaire in plutocrat school who studied cs but he went into vc like his dad

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The Management posted:

back in my college days I managed to tour the campus there as part of a class trip. the one thing that stuck out to me was as beautiful as the campus was, and how "prestigious" the institution was supposed to be, nobody seemed happy to be there. all the students on campus had a sort of empty stare.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its plutocrat school

you think plutocrats or their kids are happy? lol

e: also it was there that i learned i look hella approachable cuz like every week some chinese tourist asked me for directions and when it became chinese tourist season that rate was upped to like every other day. kinda crazy

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 31, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TerminalRaptor posted:

back in my college days I managed to tour the campus there as part of a class trip. the one thing that stuck out to me was as beautiful as the campus was, and how "prestigious" the institution was supposed to be, nobody seemed happy to be there. all the students on campus had a sort of empty stare.
what always got me about visiting stanford was how big the campus was relative to the enrollment. the only time felt like it was a big crowded school full of noise and chatter and socializing was in the main campus dining hall during lunch rush. the rest of the time it just seemed...empty, especially in comparison to a big state school like ucla or cal or the like

the other thing that was unexpected about stanford is how much it is a jock school. athletic facilities for miles and miles (and boy oh boy will you hear about the sears cup)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i dilligently contributed to the excellent reputation the studentry has of being the worst student fans of a school with a top sports program

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
cant hate on the campus itself, though. a rodin statue garden and a frank lloyd wright house? thats p legit

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its plutocrat school

you think plutocrats or their kids are happy? lol

e: also it was there that i learned i look hella approachable cuz like every week some chinese tourist asked me for directions and when it became chinese tourist season that rate was upped to like every other day. kinda crazy
ever since my late teens I've noticed I *always* seem to be the person that people doing 'man on the street' interviews, people selling stuff, collecting for charity, giving out fliers or whatever make a beeline for and wondered wether it means I look friendly and approachable or I just look like a mark.

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut
dear diary. A year ago when I put my cv out there I felt like a girl with the big tiddies on tinder. It was a frenzy of emails calls etc. Now I've only had like two bites, the devops market in London must be dead for the time being. I can't face another bank audit its so meaningless.

Something lawful fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 31, 2020

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe

Something lawful posted:

dear diary. A year ago when I put my cv out there I felt like a girl with the big tiddies on tinder. It was a frenzy of emails calls etc. Now I've only had like two bites, the devops market in London must be dead for the time being. I can't face another bank audit its so meaningless.

check your PMs. My current place is trying to get more devops people.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I was just looking at this random ad in the UK, and:

quote:

Mother tong or perfectly fluent in English, you are also comfortable writing technical documentation

I wonder if father tong is also okay

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 31, 2020

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Private Speech posted:

I was just looking at this random ad in the UK, and:

I wonder if father tong is also okay

it's an expression that's quite common here. are you offended by it or something?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the expression is common in america as well, but it's spelled tongue. unless you are talking about these

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in the us people usually use "native speaker" but I think that can run afoul of equal opportunity guidelines outside of like acting or translation jobs

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

yeah it was a spelling joke about an ad asking for a native speaker

and it's not like that's the only mistake in it, I just thought that particular section was esp. fun

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

go play outside Skyler posted:

it's an expression that's quite common here

lol please tell me where "mother tong" is a common expression

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mother tong and father thyme makes a good sausage every time

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

yeah i rhymed time with thyme so what

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Achmed Jones posted:

lol please tell me where "mother tong" is a common expression

the cat thread several years ago

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the tonging must happen

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Progressive JPEG posted:

yeah i rhymed time with thyme so what

https://thymetime.ytmnd.com/

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh huh rjd2 is still making albums

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

going to an rjd2 show was the last thing i was able to do before the covid lockdown

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Robert Jowney Dr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

power botton posted:

Robert Jowney Dr?

the second