Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

Mantle posted:

Not really interviewing cause I just started a new job last month, but an internal recruiter cold contacted me at my personal email. I agreed to take an exploratory call because always be interviewing, and the idiot sends the calendar invite to my work email. How do these people even get jobs?

On a related note, I've noticed that my work email addresses have somehow made it into some sort of profile on me. The above idiot cced me at my unlisted current work email, former work email, and unlisted Gmail. I haven't used any of those 3 emails in any public profile so I'm not sure how they all got connected to me.

if they get you fired first it makes their job easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they get jobs like salespeeps.

a big difference betw devland and salesland is that count of warm bodies help in salesland. so completely inexperienced (not inexperienced as in 'i dont know as much' inexperienced as in 'i dont know anything') peeps often get and keep jobs in sales and contribute, if poorly. but then the thing that is never helped by legions of warm bodies is reputation and so sales peeps get bad reputations

and the turnover ends up like mcdonalds

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

but then the thing that is never helped by legions of warm bodies is reputation and so sales peeps get bad reputations

This isn't why I don't like sales people, I dislike sales people because of the tendency (for software salespeople anyway) to offer features and support for things without consulting devs which can lead to insurmountable tech debt. That can takes years though to start feeling the effects, and of course they'll be long gone by then.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
experienced sales peeps know when theyre lying or dont lie (much rarer). so if theyre conscious of that they can get it checked and the feature scheduled

so you shouldnt have someone who doesnt know and understand that kayfabe doing the selling-poo poo-that-dont-exist trick. but that never happens because new business is usu inexperienced business who believe hard in warm bodies

the other thing is that they negotiate w everything and everyone. never works w computers every computer and every program is a terrorist

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 5, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Mantle posted:

How do these people even get jobs?

those who can, do. those who can't, recruit

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Never ever ever use your work email for job hunts. The recruiter was being a knob and a half but jeez why even give them half a chance to do something that hosed up?

Also:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if you get turnover like mcdonalds its structurally impossible to do a good job, anyhow

another job that has turnover like mcdonalds: tech company in house accountants, esp startups

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

as an aside, is McDonald’s turn over actually that bad? I went to the McDonald’s next to my work like once a month and it was always the same people working there

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Suppose that a restaurant needs ten employees. Eight of them are long-termers and the other two are replaced every month. That means you lose 24 people per year for a turnover of 240%.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

Suppose that a restaurant needs ten employees. Eight of them are long-termers and the other two are replaced every month. That means you lose 24 people per year for a turnover of 240%.

yeah its this both for maccas and salespeeps

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Never ever ever use your work email for job hunts. The recruiter was being a knob and a half but jeez why even give them half a chance to do something that hosed up?

Also:

I didn't. He cold emailed me at my personal email, then he sent the calendar invite to my unlisted work email that he somehow guessed. Basically he had to work to get it wrong.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you know someone's full name and workplace it's not generally that hard to guess their work email. He probably sent that to a bunch of common variations as well to see which ones bounce.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a recruiter once basically wardialed one place I worked at and since we were pretty new the numbers were grouped pretty closely so it was like a wave of phone calls through the different parts of the office

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I am interviewing for an admin/customer relations type job within a locally-owned IT company. They aren't expecting me to be a tech, obviously - I'm basically going to be the "soft skills" front for the company, the calendar guy, etc. From the job description it seems like I'll be thick as thieves with the owner and their managers.

I'm just glancing over free educational materials on IT infrastructure, IT management, the cloud :smithcloud:, trying to somewhat visualize my supporting role in all this stuff.

So I guess uhhh....anything I should read? Anything I should know? I have never interviewed for this kinda thing before, I have a pretty unique resume.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

qirex posted:

a recruiter once basically wardialed one place I worked at and since we were pretty new the numbers were grouped pretty closely so it was like a wave of phone calls through the different parts of the office

We had an angry customer do this once and had to make an announcement not to answer. Then I think somebody figured out how to lock an incoming number to a specific extension, locked it to one of the conference rooms, and turned off the ringer.

DawntoDust
Dec 11, 2006

Glory is Fleeting,
Obscurity is Forever
Just had a recruiter call me and it was very apparent they were in a VERY reverberant room with speakerphone on. I could barely make out a drat thing. Lol if I hear back from them.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

re: email, i get a lot of direct recruiter emails to one tied to my linkedin account that i have never used to apply for jobs/sent emails to recruiters from. i feel like they just used the linkedin dump from a few years back to cold email people. a facebook recruiter also emails me at this address every few weeks. now that i think about it, i think that email address was tied to my old facebook but i never applied to them using that email...

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://twitter.com/garybernhardt/status/1159914615385382912

salespeople will go to great lengths to obtain phone numbers/email addresses. they might not know what an api is but they can follow step-by-step guides.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how does he not realize that’s public info

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's public info but recruiters are still scum.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
the glengarry git ross leads

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my email isn't on the web (except for this one public website where it's absolutely everywhere)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
i would never tell anybody my email (except for the place where i frequently attach it as proof of my identity and for the possible purpose of getting in touch with me about my work)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ultravoices posted:

the glengarry git ross leads
Lol

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ive started interviewing again, aggressively. thanks to the op and the thread for providing the questions, they help and also make me sound smart

10+ years in web dev, full stack, on a product that went from prototype to enterprise with multiple regions across the globe. recruiters and interviewers seem pretty excited to talk to me which is nice. I have to remind myself to be picky tho. I'm just so loving desperate to get out of my current place because we just merged and the new mgmt is so so bad and killing the team that made the winning product they just bought. it's so blindingly stupid how obvious it is

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
enterprise acquisitions has the same problem as enterprise procurement: just like enterpriseland the peeps usin it aint the peeps buying it, the peeps doin poo poo after the acquisition arent the peeps doin the m&a

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the two owners are now c levels, and engaged in day to day activities. The former technology director isn't managing the engineering team though, and instead is cleaning up the abysmal mess of the hosting team for the other product. What that means is that the engineering team that I'm on is left to be managed by the SVP of engineering of the old lovely product and so this stuff is getting run into the ground while the new CTO is busy bringing their lovely old hosting team up to what our product used.

It's just a loving mess, and both owners got paid so much loving money they don't care

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
right, if the svp was fired and the cto just hired a new peep it might go well

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i cannot read your posts without imagining a guy in a suit shaking hands with a little yellow marshmallow bird

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

just heard back I'll be getting an offer within a day for 45k+bonus (UK) for remote consulting work, so the spy software people can sod off

pretty chuffed about that, not that keen on that company but if it were the only offer on the table, well

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Storkrasch posted:

i decided on a whim to respond to some of the linkedin messages i've been getting. first offer was a fully remote deal with base salary 34% higher than my current base+bonus, with potential for adding another 20% pending some organizational changes. another position (no offer yet, but prospects seem good) is for a fairly mature startup where there'd be a 15% increase + some amount of equity (still trying to clarify how much) in a company looking to IPO within the next few years + some cool tech with interesting applications and clients. all of the positions i've responded to would result in a significant workload reduction.

despite being offered several objectively better positions the first week of looking, i feel hesitant about leaving my current job. i feel like i'd be letting people down etc. seems kind of stupid to stay where i am though.

i talked to my boss about the offers i'd received, and i ended up with a reduced workload (removing the part of my job i didn't like), a better bonus model and a 33% raise on my base salary. i'm now a member of the european six figgies club, and i don't have to learn any new names or faces. somewhat concerned about future prospects for salary growth staying where i am, but we did discuss equity which might be the way forward.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom
thanks for the encouraging replies to my first post, they helped a lot during the negotiations :)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are very many places where this just means that you're getting fattened for the chop chop. maybe you're at one of these places! maybe you're not. don't dismiss the possibility tho, and just keep the resume updated

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i cannot read your posts without imagining a guy in a suit shaking hands with a little yellow marshmallow bird

i had limited edition psyduck branded marshmallow peeps somewhere and then i ate them

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are very many places where this just means that you're getting fattened for the chop chop. maybe you're at one of these places! maybe you're not. don't dismiss the possibility tho, and just keep the resume updated

getting fired here is pretty difficult, it can only be done in a few specific situations which don't apply here. at most it'd be a constructive termination, but my workplace is unionised so that would have some serious consequences. will keep improving my linkedin game though, it seems to be pretty profitable.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
interview status: I have no idea how that went. any feeling of positivity about it is drowned out by impostor syndrome.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

startup interview went well, moving onto 3rd. the equity vestment plan was 3 year with a cliff, which i wanted to ask the thread if it knew those buzz words. from the description i got from the recruiter, it's is the one where i get the 100% vested at the first day of the 4th year, and nothing until the first day of the second year where i get 25%. so, day 366 of employement i get 25%, etc (i think, i was wlaking when i was tlaking to the recuritier and didnt right down the specific)

i googled it, and from the description it sounds pretty fair, but i wanted to ask the thread what they think about those buzzwords, is that a good, bad or fair vestment schedule for working as a sr/lead dev at a 4 year old startup in series a?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

KoRMaK posted:

startup interview went well, moving onto 3rd. the equity vestment plan was 3 year with a cliff, which i wanted to ask the thread if it knew those buzz words. from the description i got from the recruiter, it's is the one where i get the 100% vested at the first day of the 4th year, and nothing until the first day of the second year where i get 25%. so, day 366 of employement i get 25%, etc (i think, i was wlaking when i was tlaking to the recuritier and didnt right down the specific)

i googled it, and from the description it sounds pretty fair, but i wanted to ask the thread what they think about those buzzwords, is that a good, bad or fair vestment schedule for working as a sr/lead dev at a 4 year old startup in series a?

the schedule sounds entirely normal and unremarkable. that part doesn't really matter. whether your equity is actually any meaningful share in the company and not subject to all sorts of liquidation preference bullshit does, and realistically in this day and age it's structured to be "lol, you are not a founder or investor, sod off". equity is not a reason to work at a startup nowadays.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

equity is not a reason to work at a startup nowadays.
Fair. what IS worth working at a startup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

KoRMaK posted:

Fair. what IS worth working at a startup?

cash, and a lot of it