Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

use of google docs is a huge red flag

yeah. should’ve been using office 365

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
my company apparently wants me to start giving interviews and nobody has a way of doing online coding anything, they’re just like “eh you figure it out”. almost 2 years into the pandemic even

not great!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
found out yesterday our yearly reviews have no impact on our figgies so why even bother now lolol

asked what does and my manager has no clue. thanks HR

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
someone asked about inflation and if that's a factor and he did have that answer! it's not factored at all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fourwood posted:

my company apparently wants me to start giving interviews and nobody has a way of doing online coding anything, they’re just like “eh you figure it out”. almost 2 years into the pandemic even

not great!

https://coderpad.io/pricing/
just tell them you’ll expense it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cheese eats mouse posted:

someone asked about inflation and if that's a factor and he did have that answer! it's not factored at all.

inflation is the base of all pay rise so you basically got a pay cut and should start clicking on those LinkedIn buttons

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qhat posted:

yeah. should’ve been using office 365

litterally yes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if a company doesnt have 365 its because they're too cheap to afford the most basic tools for a functional business

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

https://coderpad.io/pricing/
just tell them you’ll expense it

that pricing.... coderpad must be making a killing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raminasi posted:

- it is a crapshoot, do your best to not get discouraged by failure
- recruiter attention is not consistent. you will get ignored for a few weeks (especially around now) and then four people will contact you in a day.
- third-party recruiters, 90% of the time, are useful for knowing about open positions and filling out job applications for you, and nothing else. use them for this but don't invest too much in them or get sad when they're idiots or ghost you.
- first-party recruiters who reach out to you are a great sign and way more useful. treat them nicer!
- seriously, it's a crapshoot

its not a crapshoot its a sales process

here are the steps to the sales process, roughly

- Prospecting
- Approach / use of marketing (resumes and warm calls and crooters)
- Presentation / interview / objections (in tech land this is a phone screen then the daylong craptide usually so that can be considered as a formal two steps but sometimes takehome yadda yadda)
- Closing / negotiations

each of these have yield rates in companies from 0.1% to 40%. i have seen companies with both 0.1% and 40% in all of these. the multiplicative cascade forms the funnel that salespeeps like to talk about. with respect to interviews for peep hiring ive seen them range from literally 0, denominator thousands to 80%

the easiest thing to do to keep track of to improve the process and make it less of a crapshoot is to take simple fractions of yield for all these and unfuck the layer of the cascade thats hosed

if the approach is hosed you can unfuck it by unfucking resume. but if the close is hosed obviously it doesnt help

what are your current yield rates for each step? give us numerators and denominators too

if you think this a hateful irony, well it is a hateful irony. but you're selling 6.5 figgies worth of putertoucher

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 1, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

shaggar was right?!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

GODDAMMIT SOMEBODY HAND OUT PROBES FOR THE WORD "CROOTER"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
people at my work complain about not having a live code app too

i just link interviewees to whatever the first google result is for "online <language> repl" is and have them share their screen??? not that hard

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib

Quackles posted:

Ew, they couldn't even spring for a CoderPad?

i mean, the whole thing was over google meets, they could have given me the question, and i could have popped up the ide of my choice, and shared my screen. Ż\_(°_°)_/Ż

edit: to clarify, i did ask if they wanted me to do that, they did not. they wanted it in the GDoc.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

qhat posted:

inflation is the base of all pay rise so you basically got a pay cut and should start clicking on those LinkedIn buttons

i'm sticking around for another 1.5 years because of an extra 1.5 years of pay in vesting options. then i'm going to be funemployed for a few months

deffo started designing a new portfolio.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

We just tell people to have a Java editor (preferably IntelliJ since that's what we use) ready and we make them share their screen on zoom.

We also have them clone a repo to work in for the interview.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

found out yesterday our yearly reviews have no impact on our figgies so why even bother now lolol

asked what does and my manager has no clue. thanks HR

if it's like most places your manager gets a pool of money for compensation and divides it among their reports based on how they feel around the time that's determined [which might be months before reviews are done]. for extra psychotic points many places give a pool to a senior manager who instead of dividing it out lets the middle managers fight/horse trade with each other for their portion

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Corla Plankun posted:

people at my work complain about not having a live code app too

i just link interviewees to whatever the first google result is for "online <language> repl" is and have them share their screen??? not that hard
having some structured/codified interview process is actually good, op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Achmed Jones posted:

GODDAMMIT SOMEBODY HAND OUT PROBES FOR THE WORD "CROOTER"

roto-crooter

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its not a crapshoot its a sales process

here are the steps to the sales process, roughly

- Prospecting
- Approach / use of marketing (resumes and warm calls and crooters)
- Presentation / interview / objections (in tech land this is a phone screen then the daylong craptide usually so that can be considered as a formal two steps but sometimes takehome yadda yadda)
- Closing / negotiations

each of these have yield rates in companies from 0.1% to 40%. i have seen companies with both 0.1% and 40% in all of these. the multiplicative cascade forms the funnel that salespeeps like to talk about. with respect to interviews for peep hiring ive seen them range from literally 0, denominator thousands to 80%

the easiest thing to do to keep track of to improve the process and make it less of a crapshoot is to take simple fractions of yield for all these and unfuck the layer of the cascade thats hosed

if the approach is hosed you can unfuck it by unfucking resume. but if the close is hosed obviously it doesnt help

what are your current yield rates for each step? give us numerators and denominators too

if you think this a hateful irony, well it is a hateful irony. but you're selling 6.5 figgies worth of putertoucher

per your own math, even the best candidate has only ~40% change of completing the process by accepting an offer. each individual interview is not a deterministic process, which is what i meant by "crapshoot." like in craps, there are things to do that improve your odds, but for any particular failure there is not necessarily some specific thing you could have done that caused the failure, which is the thing that can be hard to internalize for many jobseekers.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah sales is stochastic but you can do poo poo to improve in it, which takes a certain kind of weirdo which is brutally incompatible w the certain kind of weirdo it takes to be a putertoucher (which is a bedrock contention that shits deterministic and you can go and figure it out)

theres 0.1% close salespeeps and 40% salespeeps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

we have one sales guy in our company who is rumoured to outearn the rest of salespeople combined (we have nice sales splits)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i'm sticking around for another 1.5 years because of an extra 1.5 years of pay in vesting options. then i'm going to be funemployed for a few months

deffo started designing a new portfolio.

this is what a signing bonus is for

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that happens half the time

there are public went-and-did-an-ipo-with-ibanks big league companies that depend on their existence on like 4 salespeeps

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The analysis described in William Shockley on what makes a person who publishes a lot of papers (and the superstar researcher system) absolutely applies to sales. The best salespeople are orders of magnitude better than the typical salesperson.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 1, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a funny lil exercise for thought about multiplicative cascades:

take a matrix composed of repeated kronecker multiplication of a tiny stochastic matrix w some anisotropy, say [[0.2 0.8] [0.6 0.4]] or something like that. take the whole induced kronecker matrix and sample from the implicit induced probability distribution over matrices from a bernoulli on each of the entries: each entry is chance of a coin flip landing heads wrt that entry.

it is recommended to know that np.kron is kronecker multiplication in numpy and kron is kronecker multiplication in matlab

count of entries landing 1 is the count of sales made by putative peeps with respect to different putative chance in the simulated multiplicative cascade

1. look at the matrix after sampling. you really wanna actually look at that fucker w eyeballs
2. sum over one axis of the matrix: this is sales per peep. look at that histogram

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 1, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is called "stochastic kronecker matrix" in network analysis land btw. originally invented to whack away at lognormal distributed matrix degree distributions

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

don't know what literally a single word in that text means other than matrix. i assume it justifies me earning a mind-boggling amount of figgies to sit at a computer and swear for at least half the day.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

qhat posted:

this is what a signing bonus is for

plz point me in the direction of a product designer signing bonus. i'm not being sarcastic cause i've never heard of it in my field.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you dont get if you dont ask

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i dunno much about product design negotiations but i would assume yeah like you walk in there and say "i have options vesting in 6months so i'm going to be down if i take this role" and they should get it that they need to buy you out or at the very least sweeten the offer somehow to compensate.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

like there's a lot of bullshit you can throw around in negotiation to extract the maximum possible offer, but saying you're going to lose money if you take the role is about as powerful a move you can make without saying you have a competing offer elsewhere

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve had a couple signing bonuses as a designer but they were generally really small and imo it’s easier to negotiate a 5k salary bump than a 10k bonus

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ya exactly just hold it over their heads and you'll get something nice out of it eitherway. money now or in 6months is more valuable than some speculative money that vests in nearly 2 years.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the problem with options is that when they do vest, the company will come along and say "here's some more options that vest in 2 years" because they need to in order to retain you. so really you're just constantly waiting for things to vest without actually upgrading your base income. and this is all without knowing for sure if those options will be worth anything by the time they expire. alternatively, you could take a higher paying job and get that money now and invest it in securities that are more diversified and more likely to make a consistent return. they might even give you some rsus or options anyway on a shorter schedule so what's the difference? 1.5 years seems like a long time to wait for options to vest unless we are literally talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

cinci zoo sniper posted:

we have one sales guy in our company who is rumoured to outearn the rest of salespeople combined (we have nice sales splits)

our sales guys apparently make multi-millions per year which is ~15x the average computer toucher, and we get Jack poo poo despite being the poor bastards that make the poo poo they sell

the only consolation is that we are in the EU, so have decent work-life balance, US guys, especially sales ones, have an amusing tendency of sending invites for 7pm EU time meetings at 5am US time. Needless to say they are declined, repeatedly

got my first 2 talent screens at quite reputable companies today, hoping i can make something of it! going back from eng management to coding, i reckon this will be a negative for some companies but a plus for others, we shall see. upside of eng mgmt is i have interviewed like a hundred candidates this year,, which will hopefully translate to good results on the other side of the table

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i used the kronecker product like 100 times (manually writing it every time) in grad school and then found out at the end of the year that it was an existing matlab/numpy function with a name that whole time

of course i never needed it again after I learned that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they didnt teach you how to write reusable subroutines?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they didnt teach you how to write reusable subroutines?

i have some bad news about graduate student programming education

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

qirex posted:

I’ve had a couple signing bonuses as a designer but they were generally really small and imo it’s easier to negotiate a 5k salary bump than a 10k bonus

when i was negotiating with goog they took away like 15k of signing bonus to give me an extra 10 or 15k salary and 40k/yr stock

it was fuckin bizarre, it felt like they did that just so they could feel they were horse-trading instead of bettering an objectively terrible initial offer

e: just to be clear, not a designer. not offering advice or anything just tellin stories