Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

lord fifth posted:

https://cloud.jtar.bz/resume_semi_censored.pdf

it has some minimal but unavoidable identifying info so uh be nice :allears:

you have a 4.0 at a top 20 engineering school gfy

good resume

also by any chance do you have cp? if so I know you and you should include a bit of your prior work history and prior degree because it shows you’re not a weirdo which is useful because anyone with a 4.0 from a top 20 school is gonna be sus for that

edit: nvm you were in high school in 2021

edit2: go get a big name internship. I know some MD peeps who have landed as interns and coops at Apple. Northrop is aight but not exactly prestigious unless you wanna go work for the CIA because they might give you a clearance. You want a FAANG.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
yeah the big reason i am starting this early with optimizing resume, etc is because i am desperately trying to gtfo of defense and into a role that gives me more versatility in guiding my career

unfortunately i sort of washed out with my first year intern offers, though i've been told that it's common for tech to pass over first years so i'm hoping for better luck this time around

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

lord fifth posted:

yeah the big reason i am starting this early with optimizing resume, etc is because i am desperately trying to gtfo of defense and into a role that gives me more versatility in guiding my career

unfortunately i sort of washed out with my first year intern offers, though i've been told that it's common for tech to pass over first years so i'm hoping for better luck this time around

When I was IC @ a FAANG like 10 yrs ago interns were at least going into their junior year. If you dont get good big companies, find a YC startup at Work at a Startup, the earlier/smaller the better. That will give you some real responsibilities to put on your resume. Amazon stole one of my interns that I hired via WaaS. $33/hr for my 2nd best intern. Bastards. He graduated and works at Amazon now.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i didn't know that waas was a thing, so thanks for putting it on my radar. i'll definitely apply through there as well. that amazon pay is interesting, since the amazon interns i know from school are making around $50/hr this year in addition to living stipends

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

lord fifth posted:

i didn't know that waas was a thing, so thanks for putting it on my radar. i'll definitely apply through there as well. that amazon pay is interesting, since the amazon interns i know from school are making around $50/hr this year in addition to living stipends

$50/hr for fucks sake

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got paid $55/hour my second internship. i routinely hear about phd interns annualized pay crackin 130k/yr so if you divide by 2000 thats 65

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

also yeah i made 55 an hour when i interned at paypal over a decade ago but that was also in downtown figgieland primus so

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I wouldn't feel too bad, I made $18 an hour, and that was bumped to $20 an hour at some company near my college.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
apple hires sophomores as interns (or at least did a while ago), your resume is definitely good but do know that some FAANGs literally only recruit from their target schools (stanford, umich, etc) unless you know someone who can get a recruiter's ear

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
it's affirming to hear good feedback, and i appreciate all the advice.

GenJoe posted:

apple hires sophomores as interns (or at least did a while ago), your resume is definitely good but do know that some FAANGs literally only recruit from their target schools (stanford, umich, etc) unless you know someone who can get a recruiter's ear

w/r/t this, i will say that i am generally averse to working at the kinds of companies that do such selective recruiting anyway. i will definitely be pulling all stops to get my info in front of as many eyes as possible, though. upperclassmen have shown me the magic of applying to as many companies as possible and then chain backing-out on accepted offers as you receive better ones

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lord fifth posted:

w/r/t this, i will say that i am generally averse to working at the kinds of companies that do such selective recruiting anyway. i will definitely be pulling all stops to get my info in front of as many eyes as possible, though. upperclassmen have shown me the magic of applying to as many companies as possible and then chain backing-out on accepted offers as you receive better ones

I think you'll be fine. I don't know about UMD but the VA schools usually get recruiters from Google, Amazon, Microsoft, etc to come visit. If your school does a job fair, i'd recommend going there as it's a good way to connect with people.

At the end of the day, it's much easier to look for better opportunities while you're gainfully employed. I don't think it's bad to take a lovely contracting job while you apply to FAANGs.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Your resume also gives out a lot of PII like your name btw. Don't know if you meant to include that.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
actually i did not. don't know how i managed to remove other things but missed the biggest font on the document. i don't think it's really a big deal but i will update it regardless

the job fairs at umd have actually been kind of sad recently, we haven't had recruiters from a lot of big tech / faang / desirable companies. the cs fair is going back to in-person this fall though so hopefully that will provide better opportunities

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i got paid $55/hour my second internship. i routinely hear about phd interns annualized pay crackin 130k/yr so if you divide by 2000 thats 65

Don't they have to pay them a lot in California for them to qualify as exempt?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

Don't they have to pay them a lot in California for them to qualify as exempt?

yeah, lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

lord fifth posted:

actually i did not. don't know how i managed to remove other things but missed the biggest font on the document. i don't think it's really a big deal but i will update it regardless

the job fairs at umd have actually been kind of sad recently, we haven't had recruiters from a lot of big tech / faang / desirable companies. the cs fair is going back to in-person this fall though so hopefully that will provide better opportunities

did you get to take a meesh class before she retired? go terps

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

DELETE CASCADE posted:

did you get to take a meesh class before she retired? go terps

actually have not heard of her before just now. i've only taken through 132 so seems like i missed something special. i had fawzi though if he was doing his thing back in your time. go terps!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

edit: nvm

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 3, 2022

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

there was a recruiter for this in my inbox the other day it may help your shotgunning efforts.

https://joinhandshake.com

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
hell yeah i love lovely job aggregators. thanks (:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KidDynamite posted:

there was a recruiter for this in my inbox the other day it may help your shotgunning efforts.

https://joinhandshake.com

I hired an intern via handshake at the local state college. Would use again. Its the officially recommended way to hire interns from that school. Work at a Startup definitely has my most qualified average applicants, but tends to be pretty competitive for them. I can move faster than Lockheed, but not necessarily faster than a Series A startup with VC dollars burning a hole in their pocket.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 3, 2022

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
reposting here bc it got buried in cjs by an hbag meltdown:

got my first promotion ever, to senior dev! only took 13 years workin lol

but, uh, the comp change is only 10%. that seems rather low. not sure if I should ask for more but I am getting by and take a 2 hour nap every day and have an incredible mentor. maybe just hang out, learn more, work relatively little and see how the recession goes

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Enderzero posted:

but, uh, the comp change is only 10%. that seems rather low. not sure if I should ask for more but I am getting by and take a 2 hour nap every day and have an incredible mentor. maybe just hang out, learn more, work relatively little and see how the recession goes

Grats. A couple of devs are quitting current job where I’m at for presumably higher pay at smaller startups, which would be business as usual any other time, but not sure about how wise that is now with a recession over the tech sector looming

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Enderzero posted:

Looking at percentages doesnt make sense. 10% can be good or bad, depending on how your comp was before. If you were very top end of E3 and got promoted to E4, 10% will make you a mid-paid E4, which is above average because you just became an E4.

If you were paid $100K/yr and now make $110K w/13 years of full time experience and a CS degree...yea you can prob shop that resume regardless of where you live.

Should be looking at whats your total comp and what should your total comp be. If you're below average and the risk of the new job sucking or the recession killing it is below the delta between you and median pay, then shop.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Enderzero posted:

where do you work and what do you make?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I went back and took a look at my comp, they did a 5% raise last year, which I didn't notice because my manager didn't even tell me plus I bumped up my 401k contribution, and then another unannounced 3% raise just last month (ah the joys of working in a company that got bought out 18 months ago...) so the 10% senior bump puts me at $125k, which is actually the minimum I was hoping for. Considering how relaxed the atmosphere is and how little work I actually do, this is quite acceptable. Thanks for the advice, y'all!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

$125k is low but certainly comfy in some parts of the country

maybe at least update your resume and throw it out there a bit, low pressure casual searching while you have a job is refreshing

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

hobbesmaster posted:

maybe at least update your resume and throw it out there a bit, low pressure casual searching while you have a job is refreshing

not a bad idea, but I really have quite a good setup here, especially because I don't feel I'm at a senior level in the technical sense, mostly because I struggle like hell to focus because of the state of the world - hard to give a poo poo when things are endlessly slowly getting worse. I am the glue of the team, using humor and soft skills to generate a good vibe (this was explicitly called out in my perf review) and I have almost no deadlines or people looking over my shoulder, so between that and a fantastic mentor, I think I'll stick around and keep learning and move on when I feel more confidence in my tech skills.

it's funny because I tell my friend to go get jobs and pushed him, but he's legitimately good at developing - I do ok, but I'm actually best at verbal acuity, not symbolic and abstract work. but it pays better than any other industry and for less work soooo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that sounds like imposter syndrome. you just got promoted, send that resume out

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

hobbesmaster posted:

it really can’t be emphasized how cool + good it is to have a slow trickle of leads coming in. no pressure, no obligations, it something that looks cool comes along you can really spend time on it if you want to

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

and yes my monitor is on, I’m less than 6 months into a new job I got after that kind of self pep talk

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

raminasi posted:

it really can’t be emphasized how cool + good it is to have a slow trickle of leads coming in. no pressure, no obligations, it something that looks cool comes along you can really spend time on it if you want to

It's really difficult when you are so comfortable in a position. I keep running into that problem when i'm doing leetcode stuff.

I keep on telling the younger folks at my company that they should get out before they become complacent.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

Enderzero posted:

I don't feel I'm at a senior level in the technical sense, mostly because I struggle like hell to focus because of the state of the world - hard to give a poo poo when things are endlessly slowly getting worse.

this is relatable but seriously if you are putting in 3 hours of focused work a day that puts you in like the 99th percentile of dev productivity I swear to god. only two hours? that's still fantastic. keep at it

edit:

quote:

I work maybe 3 hours a day

lol I knew it

GenJoe fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 7, 2022

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

hobbesmaster posted:

oh I know, I’ve struggled with it for a long time. but it’s also a sober analysis of my skills, I work maybe 3 hours a day so my improvement skill wise has not been very quick. I also switched from front end to back end when I took this job, so there has been a lot of getting up to speed with kotlin, spring and a lot of other stuff. mostly I’m pretty smart generally but I realized when I was getting my EE degree that I’m just not that talented at abstract thought - but my verbal and writing skills are off the charts and that plus soft skills gets me through. your advice is still very apt though! but I think the low stress environment is good for me for now while I improve technically. currently reading domain driven design, and finally I’m finding reasoning for specific design decisions. good book

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

personally i would rather have a skilled communicator who writes bad code than a bad communicator who writes good code they don't write good code anyway

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

the consulting company got back to me. we are now looking at around $220000-230000 total comp. I could debase myself and go back to the FAANGs but I really do like this style of work and it should be pretty chill. in terms of raw maximization of figures it's not a good deal but idk

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enderzero posted:

oh I know, I’ve struggled with it for a long time. but it’s also a sober analysis of my skills, I work maybe 3 hours a day so my improvement skill wise has not been very quick. I also switched from front end to back end when I took this job, so there has been a lot of getting up to speed with kotlin, spring and a lot of other stuff. mostly I’m pretty smart generally but I realized when I was getting my EE degree that I’m just not that talented at abstract thought - but my verbal and writing skills are off the charts and that plus soft skills gets me through. your advice is still very apt though! but I think the low stress environment is good for me for now while I improve technically. currently reading domain driven design, and finally I’m finding reasoning for specific design decisions. good book

you know software is supposed to pay better than EE, right? I’m an EE, with less than half your experience (5y), at a lower level (E3, so sub-senior), and I’m making 10k more, assuming the figure you named earlier was base salary. keep in mind that I’m only compensated about average for my role.

there’s something to be said for comfort zone, but it would be a lot more comfortable if you were compensated appropriately for your level of experience and the high-value work that you do.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Raluek posted:

you know software is supposed to pay better than EE, right? I’m an EE, with less than half your experience (5y), at a lower level (E3, so sub-senior), and I’m making 10k more, assuming the figure you named earlier was base salary. keep in mind that I’m only compensated about average for my role.

there’s something to be said for comfort zone, but it would be a lot more comfortable if you were compensated appropriately for your level of experience and the high-value work that you do.

i have a weird history. one of 14 valedictorians in high school, I floated by on book smarts until mid college, where my study habits caught up to me. a late spell of depression led to just barely escaping after 6.5 years. i graduated into the great recession so that affected things, especially income. I’ve been fired or laid off (mostly fired) from every job I’ve had prior to this one. as I said, this is my first promotion (though I did jump levels from junior to mid level during a job change) and was out of work for 2 years in the early-mid stage. I constantly chafe against being stuck in an office for 8 hours a day - it was only going remote due to pandemic that saved me here; I used to agonize over leaving at 4:55 because I couldn’t stand being there any more.

I struggle with design, can only see the simplest solution to anything, and have trouble following complex logic or invariants. I’m incredible at interviewing, again thanks to verbal skills, but suck rear end at actually putting it into practice. perhaps the largest issue is that everything is hosed and I don’t care about how most businesses are just shifting money around. I can talk their language (and put on a mask so effectively they think I’m all in) but I don’t buy in at all. until the pandemic when I finally felt like weeknights were more than a pittance of personal time, I used to get Sunday dread every week. I counted the hours down every weekend - ok it’s 6 pm on Saturday, that’s still a good 18 hours until you have to be at your desk, etc…

I’m comfortable but don’t think there’s a next level - I paid off my student loans only because our company got bought and the 1x retention bonus turned into a 3x bonus after they fired the revered ceo suddenly and needed to prevent everyone running for the door 3 months after purchase. I don’t believe I’ll be able to own a home ever and retirement is a pipe dream so what more do I need money for? vacations? not enough pto and they pass so subjectively quick, it feels as though I’m instantly back at work and hours take ages to pass again. someone will say, well you can save up and take long breaks between jobs, but that’s a dangerous path - both because of hiring biases and because I may well dread returning to a next job so much that I go into a depressive spiral (yes, on meds and in therapy) and don’t recover in time. the insane coding challenge gauntlet this industry has only makes that more likely.

wall of text made short, I feel safe here and I’m learning a ton from a mentor, individually make double the household average and have been able to throttle work effort and stay comparatively relaxed and upbeat despite an ongoing pandemic. it’s a good situation and while going elsewhere might max the money, who knows if you’ll get an rear end in a top hat manager, or insane deadlines, etc.

this is meant to be an balanced analysis of my situation but also could read as very e/n so I hasten to add y’all do great work and give excellent advice here. yospos is where I fine tuned a good view of how Things Are and where I learned stuff like negotiation and knowing your worth - I pass on advice here to friends all the time and encourage them to jump ship when they should.

but I’m truly not that good or valuable in the ultimately most important technical sense - though this is slowly changing! I think it’s simply a case that I have some great skills but they are only tangentially salient to the deepest, rubber meets the road, parts of the craft and thus I’ll always be a bit behind since jobs in my real wheelhouse just don’t make that money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
“If you're not intimidated it's not a step up. If you're already qualified for the job you're seeking you're not making any progress.”

“The excessive compensation for programming positions is not indicative of its difficulty or value, so don't let that intimidate you if you want to pursue an easy way to earn money.”

Two of my favorite quotes from this thread.