Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jira and confluence work fine. are there better alternatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

notepad.exe

or

textedit.app

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Xarn posted:

Sometimes I wonder where Atlassian customers come from, because the only place I've worked at that used their products was my very first job, at a local C-tier outsourcer. Never ran into them since (not that I am complaining).

when a young company grows up and loves money very very much, they must hire a layer of people who are responsible for buying things they never ever have to use

the wild atlassian has evolved to exploit this niche by creating some of the most feature-rich, unusable software on planet earth

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

kalel posted:

both of these just need to chuck text/html at people and the response time of both are worse than any other website I've ever used

it feels like the whole earth is using one single rails instance to provide jira and confluence

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

the problem with jira isn't that it's slow, it's how stupid my bosses are at it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jira has probably the worst data design ive ever seen in a real product

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Xarn posted:

Sometimes I wonder where Atlassian customers come from, because the only place I've worked at that used their products was my very first job, at a local C-tier outsourcer. Never ran into them since (not that I am complaining).

I use 100% vanilla and in the cloud Confluence, Jira and Bitbucket. No real complaints other than their UI is slow. I'd use GitHub if I was gonna do it over but eh.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I swear to god I have done everything in my power to get my boss to directly compare two tickets in the backlog and decide "which one of these is more important?" and it has never once happened. the only thing that has sunk in is that it is important to prioritize the backlog. backlog triage consists of 1. going over every ticket in the sprint and asking if were still on track to finish it this sprint and 2. plopping new tickets somewhere in the list based on vague feelings. what do you mean our backlog isn't prioritized, we spend a bunch of time prioritizing it!?!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Asleep Style posted:

I swear to god I have done everything in my power to get my boss to directly compare two tickets in the backlog and decide "which one of these is more important?" and it has never once happened. the only thing that has sunk in is that it is important to prioritize the backlog. backlog triage consists of 1. going over every ticket in the sprint and asking if were still on track to finish it this sprint and 2. plopping new tickets somewhere in the list based on vague feelings. what do you mean our backlog isn't prioritized, we spend a bunch of time prioritizing it!?!

Do you not have goals to meet and then set the impact of tickets on meeting those goals?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Do you not have goals to meet and then set the impact of tickets on meeting those goals?

goals? yes. impact measurements? no. we have epics related to the goals and stories linked to them. we also have a bunch of other poo poo unrelated to the official goals we have to do at the same time all mixed together in a stupid pile

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Why do you "have to do" all that other poo poo?

If you do in fact have obligations that aren't directly related to your goals, you should add another (higher priority) goal that encompasses those obligations.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I agree. we've recently hired a product manager for the team, I've been trying to work with them to un gently caress our process as much as possible but there's a lot to do on that front

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

its this

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

their apis are p good but the second you start using any customizations it goes to hell

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

if your boss doesnt prioritize stuff just work on whatever seems fun imo

jira is balls slow and i hate it but at any company i've worked at that has it i just use that as the source of truth for what i'm supposed to be doing, and if the truth is that nobody cares about any of the tickets getting done i'm just gonna do what i want

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

kalel posted:

i feel like pretty much any other wiki is a viable alternative to confluence

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Shaggar posted:

what does good data design in this space look like

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Corla Plankun posted:

when a young company grows up and loves money very very much, they must hire a layer of people who are responsible for buying things they never ever have to use

the wild atlassian has evolved to exploit this niche by creating some of the most feature-rich, unusable software on planet earth

:bravo:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

kalel posted:

what does good data design in this space look like

oh stupid stuff like jira uses eunuchs epoch instead of datetime for storing dates. jira users do not have a nice generated id column, they use the original username as the id column even if the username changes or they sign in with a different identity provider. some (non-plugin) customizations will modify schema, others use name value pairs type stuff. indexing is done outside of the database.

its a design by someone who honestly thought that at any point relational databases were gonna disappear so the data design wont matter which caused them to try to make the application do all the work. the application is also bad at the work.

idk i havent had to be in there in a while but it was just bad.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Youtrack is better than jira as is the way of all jetbrains products

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive yet to use a good jetbrains product

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jira has a like decade old feature request for "can I make a board with all my mentions on it" and something about the way they built it makes that impossible

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

has anyone said gitbrains

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that only works if you pronounce git like a psychopath

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i like jetbrains Rider and jetbrains CLion and also jetbrains WebStorm thank you for listening

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Shaggar posted:

ive yet to use a good jetbrains product

datagrip is p good but gets slow (like every jetbrains product) if you abuse it (like every developer does)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

What's the alternative to JB IDES anyway?

I'm relatively okay with Eclipse and VS, but Eclipse is definitely even less snappy and VS has terrible configuration support (and is only for Windows for the most part)

ClIon does what I need, to the point where I pay for the stupid thing so that I can use it at home

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the alternative is electron garbage, which is why jetbrains continues to exist

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DELETE CASCADE posted:

also the chorus of weirdos who insist vim or emacs is great you just need to climb K2 and it all makes sense

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

there are others out there (qtcreator, codeblocks and such for c/c++), but coming to those from a high-end ide feels like a step down

nothing out there short of paid plugins for vs has anything close to clion's refactoring capabilities, and it's one of those things that's incredibly hard to give up once you are used to it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

vs code is just fine

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

The Fool posted:

vs code is just fine

vs code is unusable out of the box and you need to dedicate weeks of your one precious life to find the combination of third party plugins that makes it remotely useful

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Lady Radia posted:

i like jetbrains Rider and jetbrains CLion and also jetbrains WebStorm thank you for listening

rider is the visual studio your mom said you had at home

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'd hate to see your workflow that you need a whole week to setup a text editor

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The Fool posted:

i'd hate to see your workflow that you need a whole week to setup a text editor

depends what you want to do with it

more to the point text editors are fine for simple things (yes including - perphaps especially - vi/m and emacs) but kindof garbage when you get to the point where you actually need IDE features, even if you can hack them in somewhat

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Kernel Sanders posted:

vs code is unusable out of the box and you need to dedicate weeks of your one precious life to find the combination of third party plugins that makes it remotely useful

Idk, it works fine out of the box for me :shrug:, except for a few msft-maintained plugins that mostly just work

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
It's dumb as hell that the file watcher doesn't respect .gitignore files though. "Why yes, I want to chew through all of my kernel inotifies so that Vscode can tell me about the 500000 files that changed in my 60gb build directory"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

It's dumb as hell that the file watcher doesn't respect .gitignore files though. "Why yes, I want to chew through all of my kernel inotifies so that Vscode can tell me about the 500000 files that changed in my 60gb build directory"

more than once i've wanted a general .ignore file to be honored by all the things, from git to spotlight to tracker to whatever.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

kalel posted:

I was surprised at how well gitlab stories worked the one time I dealt with that several jobs ago. There were a couple of pain points, but it was infinitely better than their garbage jira that took 30 seconds to load any given page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I use whatever IDE my work makes me use. All of them are bad in their own.