Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
If your answer to "where do you want to be in 5 years" isn't "retired after becoming independently wealthy", you are lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xarn posted:

If your answer to "where do you want to be in 5 years" isn't "retired after becoming independently wealthy", you are lying.

I once said "I want to be wealthy enough that I forget how to shop in a supermarket", I wanna be Lucille Bluth. The interviewer did not like it. Not one bit no sir.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

champagne posting posted:

I once said "I want to be wealthy enough that I forget how to shop in a supermarket", I wanna be Lucille Bluth. The interviewer did not like it. Not one bit no sir.

This answer owns big

gently caress knowing the price of milk

Plebs in the rat race

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think the only place that is an acceptable answer is like, buyside finance where they'll love it. a weird island of honesty

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The trick is to have a sane boss. I've already said that my main motivator to work here is money, and his answer was pretty much "duh, but the Americans like to pretend that there are other reasons to work in this company, so honesty is not the best option for your career". :v:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

one of my great professional victories was getting stuff like "passion" and "enjoys hard work" removed from all our tech job postings and getting people to ask more questions like "what kind of non computer hobbies do you have" has improved interviews immensely

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Share Bear posted:

ask more questions like "what kind of non computer hobbies do you have"

this seems like really dangerous territory, and definitely wouldn't fly anywhere with a rubric

danger example: that question can be used to suss out if a prospective employee has a family without directly asking.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

any question can have an answer that has volunteered information that is meant to be info you should not know or make decisions on (for non americans, you cannot ask or make decisions about certain types of protected classes of information in an interview specifically)

i am not a lawyer, i think that question falls within reason with the intent of finding people who have non-computer hobbies to demonstrate a variety of life experience (everyone has hobbies), but i'll look it up

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 2, 2022

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ok so no open ended questions like that as it can be tricky from a cover-your-rear end point of view but not explicitly forbade. however, if it relates to the job itself it can be asked

so i'll figure out how to rephrase that and narrow it down

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 2, 2022

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, my understanding is that the danger isn't so much in the question itself, but with information that question is likely to uncover and how you respond to it.

for instance, would you treat these two responses differently:

a) i don't really have time for hobbies outside of work.
b) my kids are my number one priority, so between them and work there isn't much time left for my own hobbies. i guess you could say being the family chauffeur is my hobby!

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

I don't give a poo poo if an interviewee has hobbies. Why is that better than just focusing on relevant work experience and ability to work on a team?

My main hobby is videogames with friends. I don't wanna talk about that too much in an interview but I also don't think it makes me a worse candidate than if I was on a bowling team or had a side hustle making bird houses

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

I do think not asking people to pretend they're "passionate" about writing unit tests is very good

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am very opinionated about unit tests, does that count?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
y'all keep acting like these are real questions that need honest answers that are a 100% reflection of your true self

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ultravoices posted:

y'all keep acting like these are real questions that need honest answers that are a 100% reflection of your true self

interviews are cool because i get to play my favorite game, "guess which hobbies and interests the interviewer thinks are cool and which ones they think are stupid dorky bullshit"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my hobbies include spending time with my friends and doing fun stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

interviews are cool because i get to play my favorite game, "guess which hobbies and interests the interviewer thinks are cool and which ones they think are stupid dorky bullshit"

you may not have to guess, some people think LinkedIn is Facebook

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

carry on then posted:

It's not much better wrt to most technical questions either

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ultravoices posted:

they are 100% real questions a person next to you is asking and you have to figure out "what happened to this person to make them ask this terrible question?"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre shibboleths to see if you can endure a tiny dollop of corporate bullshit

seems like sometimes the answer is no

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ya they're hoops to jump through. didn't you go to school, you should be familiar with busywork

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theyre shibboleths to see if you can endure a tiny dollop of corporate bullshit

seems like sometimes the answer is no

"I asked her what her hobbies were and she said she'd prefer not to answer so I'm gonna say no hire"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

during an interview one should be as offputting as possible rather than have generic easy answers to everyday qs or commonly known interview qs as bullshit as they might be

i also think leetcode poo poo is a travesty (as opposed to maybe recreating an issue that happened on the job) but that doesnt stop everyone from inflicting that on people

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the corporate bullshit is power. power relations are at the core of corporate bullshit. its an acknowledgement that they have power over you, like the kowtow or the offering of earth and water

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

anything that opens the door for unconscious bias to take the wheel is pretty bad imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ultravoices posted:

Yeah just lie. Instead of saying sometimes I just lie on the ground wondering where it all went wrong just say "I love reading. Currently reading X".

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah so we should do double blind interviews via text alone i agree

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah it's not that hard. i like to see movies and eat local food. Sometimes I go to local events such as live music and other human activities

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Share Bear posted:

one of my great professional victories was getting stuff like "passion" and "enjoys hard work" removed from all our tech job postings and getting people to ask more questions like "what kind of non computer hobbies do you have" has improved interviews immensely
This is not a good thing for a wide variety of reasons, there isn't any reason to do this. You're asking interviewers to say they like or don't like a candidate because of how they talk about their hobbies and by extension their personal lives.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

do you nerds seriously have zero hobbies

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

whatever you do, don't answer interview questions like a normal person to get a job. the worst would be if you spent ten minutes figuring out answers to questions that are "bullshit." you need to assert your moral, intellectual, and and indeed physical superiority over all interviewers so that they respect you and know to never, ever have the gall to ask you questions that you might consider beneath you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's just some human bean conversation to see if you're personable and easy to talk to, not a judgment on if you play the right type of video games

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

do you nerds seriously have zero hobbies

yes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hell i dont even go outside

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

well sounds like your hobby is meditation

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

Share Bear posted:

yeah so we should do double blind interviews via text alone i agree

obviously there are inherent problems with the format, but that doesn't mean we need to be defeatist about it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

it's just some human bean conversation to see if you're personable and easy to talk to, not a judgment on if you play the right type of video games

ya

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PokeJoe posted:

it will absolutely turn into this in the hands of most programmers who conduct interviews

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

yeah. the rubric for that doesn't read "has the right hobbies" or "has no kids," it reads "has basic interpersonal communication abilities; will have smalltalk conversations without throwing a fit; shows (or appropriately feigns) interest in other people to the minimum standard for team cohesion (minimum standard articulated here)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

interviewing isn't just about getting the questions right, it's just as much about not coming across as a stupid rear end in a top hat