Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
So this non profit I'm at is a cute anachronism of corporate stuff of yesteryear and weirdos that don't seem to be in corp jobs anymore.

:q:

I'm told to act and feel like an employee even though I'm contract because they hire slow as gently caress not because they don't want me to stay around. Feels good man.

The salary is meh (95k, in Denver) but bennies are generous: every other Friday off, 401k matching from the start, 401k contribution from the start, health, and a nice chill pace.

My worry is complacency or being painted in a corner as someone who fixes or migrates old poo poo to new poo poo. What do I do besides open sores?

Also I see potential to actually get some architecture experience, and speak directly to non technical types to negotiate work. Can I break into team lead or architect after a few years here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
My new role doesn't officially start into next week and I handled off my old responsibilities at the beginning of last week. I'm totally office spacing it up right now but drat does it feel weird after being run ragged for two years.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

EVGA Longoria posted:

how do y'all handle recruiting while interviewing? we're having some huge turnover, and i'm ready to move on. but i've got to back fill a few roles on my team from people who left, and i'm starting to feel guilty about hiring someone only to say peace out in a month.

Just do it like you normally would (and keep the advice someone else recommended for being able to poach them in the future if their awesome). Be sure to have someone in the interviews with you who will be sticking around though so you know you're hiring someone they want to work with. I just went through something similar where I was moving to a new role internally but still had to hire for my existing team.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ok i am getting let go at the end of the year, what can i do right now? because everywhere i have talked to wants me to start next week

e: i would just take an offer but my current job is dangling some diamond encrusted golden handcuffs in front of me to stay until the end of the year

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 15, 2018

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

HoboMan posted:

ok i am getting let go at the end of the year, what can i do right now? because everywhere i have talked to wants me to start next week

Why would you stick around to the end of the year if you know you won't have a job?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

TerminalRaptor posted:

Why would you stick around to the end of the year if you know you won't have a job?

85% of my current salary as a retention bonus to stay until then

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

HoboMan posted:

That sounds like a good reason.

If it were me, I'd look at being unemployed into the new year living off the retention bonus until I find a job. Ie less of a bonus and more of a severance package.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
use the handcuffs as leverage in negotiating your new salary

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

HoboMan posted:

interview and when it gets to salary negotiation ask for a signing bonus equivalent to your retention bonus

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

interview and when it gets to salary negotiation ask for a signing bonus equivalent to your retention bonus

that is the current plan but i was wondering if anyone had any better ideas

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

85% of a lot of our salaries would be six figures... is anyone really offering six figure sign on bonuses?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I ask because I think that would piss a lot of hiring managers off if you go through the interview process and then at the end spring "hey btw I need 100k to sign on". I guess you could bring it up earlier but I imagine that'll just short circuit the conversation.

If it was me I'd probably slack for the rest of the year, get some certs on the side and brush up my resume, and then take a couple of months to find a new job early 2019.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Noone is going to give you six figures for a sign on lol.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

About to have coffee with a hiring manager, they said they'd send me a take home after speaking to their head recruiter but instead I get a personal chat with the person IRL.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

qhat posted:

i'm pretty sure facebook does this for interns that they decide to bring on

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

talked to a recruiter today who told me that "you know only like 1 out of every 100 people that apply here even get an interview also ill send you a little challenge thing to do as a first step that will probably take a few hours" and its a bunch of like fancy encryption stuff that is seriously making my eyes glaze over

im still going to give it a try but poo poo i don't think im going to be beating the odds on this one

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GenJoe posted:

i'm pretty sure facebook does this for interns that they decide to bring on
100’s a bit high based on the folks I’ve talked to. Maybe if it was PhD intern to full hire conversion post-PhD

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i'm presuming that anywhere offering 85% of your salary in handcuffs isn't paying you six figures to start with

also, it's not just cash consideration (although if you really need the money then probably stay), but you can leverage it for bonuses, pto, stock, whatever.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

HoboMan posted:

that is the current plan but i was wondering if anyone had any better ideas

pretend you're planning to move back to the area in January when you talk to hiring managers?

IDK I'd wait until December to even start looking in your position

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

i'm presuming that anywhere offering 85% of your salary in handcuffs isn't paying you six figures to start with

maybe if theres stock involved

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Had the chat, the company seems nice but their workflow seems a bit weird. They mentioned that their CI/CD releases to production multiple times a day and I don't know how I feel about that, although I've seen a few companies brag about this. Personally i think you get more points for not breaking stuff in production in the first place than rapid firing out features and bugfixes when things go wrong. But maybe their application is different idk. What concerned me was the "umm, yeah we need more of that" when I asked how many automated tests the software goes through before it hits production, and whether devs actively write unit tests. In fact, it seemed like I caught them a bit off guard with that question. HM. They also mentioned that the teams were perhaps a little too polyglot for a company <200 people in size. Overall it still sounds better than my place and the salary would be undoubtedly better, but with a lot of room for improvement.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

qhat posted:

maybe not cash but lots will up your rsu grants to this kind of level

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qhat posted:

CI/CD releases to production multiple times a day... "umm, yeah we need more of that" when I asked how many automated tests the software goes through before it hits production

Everything is on fire 100% of the time.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
just lol if you’ve ever worked somewhere that has automated testing or CI

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I should just go independent and go from company to company as a consultant and fixing their CI since this appears like it's going to be a recurring thing for companies in Vancouver.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Several big companies are doling out six figure signing bonuses for good candidates nowadays, Amazon is pretty famous for this and I'd imagine every company in SF has to do it now to get people to relocate.

My buddy got 100k bonus + 75K to cover selling his house to move up to Seattle like two weeks ago for a mid level position so it's definitely still a thing.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qhat posted:

I should just go independent and go from company to company as a consultant and fixing their CI since this appears like it's going to be a recurring thing for companies in Vancouver.

What happened with applying for every Microsoft job?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

qhat posted:

If you think Vancouver's bad wait till you see [literally everywhere]

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

Had the chat, the company seems nice but their workflow seems a bit weird. They mentioned that their CI/CD releases to production multiple times a day and I don't know how I feel about that,

i dunno man if you have a pretty extensive automated testing suite you'd be impressed with how often you can-

quote:

What concerned me was the "umm, yeah we need more of that" when I asked how many automated tests the software goes through before it hits production, and whether devs actively write unit tests.

oh. lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

IDK I'd wait until December to even start looking in your position

december is a bad time to be looking. hiring generally shuts down from mid nov to mid jan

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

They're not a red flag, companies have other people lined up and they need to respond to them. That being said, 1 week is normal to let a candidate decide. Any less is certainly a red flag and just shows they're more interested in pressuring a candidate to accept what they know is probably a poor offer relative to the market than actually getting the best candidate for the job.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

A week is extremely reasonable

the talent deficit posted:

they're not a red flag at all. most companies/teams only have headcount/budget for a single hire when they are making offers and having to wait weeks for someone to make a decision means putting a hold on hiring during that time. as long as the period is reasonable (4+ days) and you are flexible on negotiating the period expiring offers are totally normal and reasonable

wait what? last this came up i thought people said that pressuring for an offer within a week was a red flag

did i misremember?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Jimmy Carter posted:

had a really fun talk with some people over in ops for an internal temporary gig, and they repeatedly said ‘yeah we are a new team and we need all the help we can get’ so I guess that bodes well for me

‘why do you like ops?’
‘you work with everyone and learn a bit about everything and despite it being a crushing workload it’s fulfilling at the end of the day’

update: I got accepted and found out a bit more about the scope

I’ll be taking a break from my regular entry level computer janitoring to act as a PM for a multinational, large scale manufacturing project and was explicitly told ‘lol don’t bother trying to google this because what we’re doing has never been done before’ and they are not bullshitting about that.

I’m super pumped but absolutely terrified because although I have touched this area before, nothing on this scale.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

wait what? last this came up i thought people said that pressuring for an offer within a week was a red flag

did i misremember?

Within a week, yes it's a red flag. Outside of a week, it's not a red flag. Like that's literally what we just said. You can't expect companies to give enough of a poo poo about one candidate to just let the other backups lose interest entirely.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
i got a take home for a hella kickass job that i really want

probably going to do that tomorrow (it's time limited from when you start it, not from when it's assigned), wish me luck. doin hackerranks tonight to warm up for it

e: also got an onsite for the other company, but I would have to move for that one

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

did i misremember?

If someone is like 'you have 24 hours' :redflag:

If 5 days later someone is like 'hey uhh can you get back to us soon' cmon now make up your goddamn mind

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

welp got destroyed on amazon's online coding assessment

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

qhat posted:

welp got destroyed on amazon's online coding assessment
What did they throw at you?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Peeny Cheez posted:

What did they throw at you?

nothing i shouldn't have been able unable to manage. i spent too much time on the first question trying to come up with an optimal solution when in actual fact they just wanted something which worked, had issues with bugs i was stuck on, then i started panicking and well i hosed up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

nothing i shouldn't have been able unable to manage. i spent too much time on the first question trying to come up with an optimal solution when in actual fact they just wanted something which worked, had issues with bugs i was stuck on, then i started panicking and well i hosed up.

I did this on my epic coding test. I gave 4 increasingly better implementations of the first problem then had to rush through the other 3 with lazy pseudocode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

qhat posted:

they just wanted something which worked
That's right up there with "It's okay, babe, I'll pull out!" on the list of things not to believe.