Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

MightyBigMinus posted:

i passed interview #4 at a startup so now i move on to interviews 5 - 9, this is so so cool

i can't tell if this is typical small-shop cargo culting of faang nonsense or if everyones just sitting around bored looking to fill their day with zoom chats

red flag. they're going to make you run those interviews soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

recruiter posted:

Came across your profile online and was impressed by what I was able to learn. You seem to know your way around Ruby, yeah?

I have not so much as opened a ruby source file in my entire life lol

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

It's pretty bad if your company has a policy of firing anyone even suspected to be disloyal.

sounds like it's still worth the risk in that case

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

yeah, what's the alternative? not interview and basically live as a hostage of your piece of poo poo current employer?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Private Speech posted:

should I quit my job while im in a probation period

what better time to do it? if it's short enough you don't even need to put it on your resume

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I worked for a place for 7 months and I just put (contract) after the title on my resume.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Carrier posted:

While I remember, and the discussion is basically on long interviews, one of the companies I interviewed for (which was basically computer janitoring propriety software for big clients) had the following interview process:

1st stage: 30m-1hr phone interview
2nd stage: 3 1hr one on one interviews and a 2hr one on one software demo over a full day
3rd stage: same again but 4 one on ones
4th stage: same AGAIN but this time with the boston team (I'm in the UK and in normal times they would've flown me out for this)
5th stage: another full day with the boston team

I was super thankful to not have had to go through all that in the end because I got another offer. It did seem like a cool place to work but man, they REALLY wanna be sure about who they are hiring.

this would be such a piss off working there. how does anyone have time to write bad code?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I've sent in what I managed to get done after 10 hours of a "3 hour" assignment that didn't tick all of the boxes they'd asked for along with a detailed explanation of why a 3 hour estimate was horse poo poo, and they asked me to come in for an on-location interview. (I turned them down.)

I mean, if you're not super-jazzed on the position, you could just say "I'm not doing this" and see what happens. Worst case scenario they say "okay, bye."

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

asur posted:

Rather than ascribing malintent I think it's generally more likely that the person who setup the homework did a version of it that quickly. If you're writing the problem you also have a pretty good idea how to solve it which cuts out all the design time and you probably have an environment already setup too. The person in question probably also did a trash job because they just needed it to work and if you could give them their own work they'd probably fail it.

I think this is probably close to the mark. my job is to write software, not write puzzles for job applicants. I've been asked to do the latter and managed to talk my manager into skipping it as part of the application process, but it's not like I'm given any more time to get my actual work done if I take on putting together a thoughtful and reasonable toy application for a take-home.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'd just look at job listings and see what looked fun. if you're not quitting until you get a job might as well apply for poo poo whether you're qualified or not

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

why limit yourself to the budget?

in all seriousness, I once hosed up and named a number, and then they gave me more than I asked for, so if you'd have been happy with the money without negotiating, you're doing great.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it basically means writing code logic in english. something like

code:
if post quality is bad:
    gas thread
    ban op
else:
    goldmine

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

yeah, if you've written stuff that works and you're confident talking about how it works, that's a great idea. I don't expect you'll be able to bring it in to show it off but you should always talk about your relevant past successes in an interview.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

for me, when i feel like i've killed an interview, i usually am right. so congrats, buttchugging adderall

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lots of the finance industry has contracts with clients that obligate them to run background checks on employees.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I got an interview problem a few years ago where it was some poo poo about there were a set of light sockets in one room and a set of switches in the other, you only have one light bulb, how do you figure out which switch corresponds to which socket in the fewest trips, because you can't see the lights from the switches. Or something like that, anyway. I got what I see as the clear most-efficient solution but the guy kept asking me if I could do it in fewer trips.

Turns out the answer he wanted was that I should hold my hand up to the sockets or the lights or something to see if they were warm in order to figure out several sockets at once.

It wasn't the only red flag at that place, but it was the biggest and brightest one.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

it’s weird af this thread would advocate for polishing a resume, studying for an interview, learning to negotiate as things that improve your job prospects and outcomes

but not make a GitHub, something roughly 30% of candidates do, that’s giving your time away for free

I don't think anyone is saying a candidate should not make a github. they're saying an interview should not require it.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

in preparation for my first junior position job hunt I spent like 2 months writing a C#/windows forms project that would go through all your pirated tv shows and organize/rename them nicely. i also included a link to a joke web site i knocked together in an afternoon that autoplayed music and had 1990s marquees and animated gifs everywhere that told you how many pizzas to order for your pizza party. the pizza web site got me an interview at a c# shop and i don't think anyone ever looked at the tv thing.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

$75k to $110k doesn't seem that insane for montreal to me. i work in vancouver and that seems like what's available outside of FAANG poo poo

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Steve Jorbs posted:

I don't know what constitutes a good tech salary in Canada, but the fact that the recruiter told them they were only going to be worth marginally more than their current salary instead of offering up a market range is a real bad sign.

100% true

Mantle posted:

Are you in the Vancouver Goon discord? Love to chat more about market.

never heard of it

the talent deficit posted:

i don't know if i am in the discord but i too am a vancouver software dev and those numbers are really low ime

gently caress

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'll say the obvious thing: the vetoed candidate dodged a bullet

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

if they said a number, that's the goal when people say "don't say a number first." when they say a number, that number becomes the minimum final offer. when you say a number, it becomes the maximum. you want them to set the minimum first because you don't want to guess wrong and say a number that is below what they would have set as the minimum.

so, based on the minimum they have set, figure out what you would actually be happy with and then ask for significantly more than that. you should also bring up benefits now - I've had a lot of success getting to a number I'm happy with but then playing it as, "well, gee, i guess you can't go over that number, but I suppose I could accept some extra vacation time instead"

e: this is kind of a word salad. I'm saying that in my opinion, the goal is not to never say a number - it is to never be first to say a number.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

offer letter signed

congrats dogg

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i've rejected PRs for using regexes when string functions will do the job before.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

super shady, i would not touch it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

a talking dog might be a good perk for some fresh college grad but I have a wife and two children who I already have to talk to amd take for walks

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I have to admit that I'd have trouble answering an interview question about what emerging technologies I'm enthused about. I'm pretty skeptical about everything I can think of! fusion power would at least be beneficial to the species if it worked, I guess, and if that's an acceptable answer in a software interview

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

definitely read a bit of the negotiation thread in BFC but something like "I'm looking for a competitive, market-appropriate rate" is good enough for now, and if they press, you can say something like "I'm open to negotiation when we get to an offer." You don't want to name a number that they will then negotiate you down from; you want them to name a number that you will negotiate them up from.

e: and also you want to wait until they have already decided they want you and are offering before you discuss compensation at all.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

always be one, but also always avoid being perceived as one

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

obviously having a consistent set of questions and ranking criteria doesn't completely eliminate all bias. it does, however, remove a lot of it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

yeah that's not exactly an example where changing anything about the interview would have affected anything

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

4lokos basilisk posted:

hell, maybe just assign university graduates and other job seekers positions in random companies depending on their aptitude as determined by some independent national standards body

this isn't an endorsement but i think this would probably be an improvement for most companies

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

that’s a poo poo situation but can she just say the doc refuses to give them? that’s very common around here

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

refuse to give a number. say looking for a competitive rate, say you want to leave discussion to the offer stage, say you need the full details of an offer before discussing, w/e

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

The Fool posted:

also, as an interviewer, candidates are so bad at asking questions that if anyone actually asked anything remotely similar to any questions there, I'd assume they were a goon

the number of candidates that decline to ask any questions at all is loving astounding to me. it's not most of them by any means but it's a lot more than i would have expected

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

company values are definitely a bit of a biz school jackoff opportunity, but i think if the company makes a big deal out of their values it's important to ask how they come up in practice, day-to-day. i have justified a lot of pragmatic rule-breaking by referring to the Official Corporate ValuesTM at this job, am i going to be able to do that at the next place?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

probably the most effective agile i have ever encountered is my current team, where it is basically just having a retro once every 2 weeks. bosses have tried to get me to impose estimates a couple of times but lol to that

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

personally i would rather have a skilled communicator who writes bad code than a bad communicator who writes good code they don't write good code anyway

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

:barf::jj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

jira is the slowest application ever written even before anyone adds any extensions or customizations