Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
£25k is roughly what mcdonalds pays assistant managers in the uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i've increasingly become convinced that if your org can't prevent a bad hire from being actively harmful then it's probably also doing a terrible job of maximizing the value of your good hires.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

so far today i've gotten emails from three different recruiters which namedrop some important person involved in the company they want to recruit me for and i've never heard of any of them

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

today i had a person tell me that giving the recruiter feedback on what resumes are and aren’t good so that they can do a better job of screening future resumes was like training a ML agent

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Arcsech posted:

hey now, some of them will pivot and have founders that are skilled enough at scamming VCs to get money to do something reasonable

and/or acquihired by a bigco and assigned to work on something else

at least 5% of them aren't even blockchain companies to begin with and are just lying to vcs for funding

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Flat Daddy posted:

pro: having unlimited jobs to pick from and therefore near guaranteed financial security in a time when almost no one in this country or world has this
cons: surrounded by people that share my interests, personality, and career choice aka NERDS!!!!

i don’t like being around me so of course I don’t want to be around other people like me

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

having an official job description and responsibilities sounds weird to me. every job i've ever had has had official duties of "do the needful" with no details

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

qhat posted:

Sounds like a great way for your employer to argue that basically Everything is your responsibility and deny you a pay raise when your job diverges from what you were initially hired to do.

my current job has massively diverged from what i was hired to do and the end result has been that ive gotten around a 10% bump per year

if your employer wants to gently caress you then a perfect job description isn’t going to do poo poo to stop them, and if they don’t then it doesn’t matter

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

you say "no" when you're only interested in the job if "no" is an acceptable answer

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

do not do this if you want the job lmao

being okay with not getting the job is pretty helpful for getting figgies out of the job

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

you should consider giving more than two weeks notice if you are in a position where not doing so would materially hurt people below you in the company

do not do so if it would only cause problems for people above you

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

literally that's never the case

it is not uncommon for managers to be responsible for ensuring that the people who report to them don’t get hosed on raises/bonuses

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

our interview scorecard has like two pages of stuff to fill out and i never have filled out any of them other than the hire/no hire field

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

i have said yes to hiring people based primarily on the questions they asked

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

raminasi posted:

this isn't a universal rule at all, what makes you say this

it's pretty universal. startups offer competitive salaries these days, but that's very different from being competitive on total comp.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

there's very good reasons to want to work for startups (or just generally companies other than large public tech companies), but you do need to be aware that you're going to make less money there and a lot of people seem to just not realize how significant the non-salary comp can be.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

i had an internship sponsor me for ts clearance but the whole process was such a hassle that i never got around to submitting all of the things needed

that's my exciting security clearance story

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I once got a "the client said you don't have enough startup experience" from a recruiter and when I pointed out I've worked for 6 startups he started hemming and hawing because I basically think he was trying to say "you're too old" without actually saying it

sounds like too much startup experience rather than not enough. you'd think they'd at least try to come up with a lie that isn't the exact opposite of the real reason.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

three months is nothing. plenty of hires take longer than that when a visa is involved. don't spring "oh i can't start until july" on people as a surprise when they make an offer but otherwise it's not going to be an issue for many companies. it will be an issue for some but it's not like it hurts you to start looking now. at worst they tell you that they want someone who can start sooner and then if june rolls around and you still don't have a job lined up and the position is still open you can re-apply.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

my experience has been the opposite. new grads and interns are routinely hired 6 months to a year in advance and no one ever desperately needs a new junior employee.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

that's a very normal vesting schedule. the relevant question about options is how hard you're gonna get hosed in the slight chance the company does actually go public or get a big acquisition. the days of regular employees getting gently caress you money are over, but options that are """.1%""" of a billion-dollar exit could be anywhere between a house and not even a downpayment on a house, and an exit for double your company's money raised could be either a nice bonus or literally nothing

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

like i'm not disagreeing that it might make you feel like poo poo but digging a little deeper, why does it make you feel like poo poo? unpack that. does it actually have anything to do with you or is it just the idea that everyone should be pulling their weight? is that your responsibility?

i enjoy building things. i do not enjoy not building things because i'm instead spending all my time cleaning up messes some idiot made instead.

i'm sorry that you apparently cannot conceive of the idea of enjoying doing something that you are getting paid to do

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

re: people not knowing how to program i think they assume they'll pick it up on the job. especially if they're used to kinda getting thrown in the deep end and it working out. mostly that happens when people think they're getting thrown in the deep end, but actually the "deep end" is a carefully crafted college course that goes over the fundamentals to make sure that nobody's left out.

software dev is a somewhat unusual field in that it's skilled labor (which is a loving lovely name for "you have to learn how to do this before getting a job rather than on the job") but doesn't have any certifications or anything to indicate that. there's a lot of white collar jobs where previous experience is a plus but not a requirement, and if you know nothing about the field i think it's easy to look at programming, see that there's no license you need, and assume it's the same.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

ask yourself why you're cleaning up those messes. isn't that their responsibility and not yours? is someone forcing you to do it? what would happen if you didn't clean up their mess?

i like building things too but i don't resent colleagues that are obviously out of their depth and just trying to cash paychecks until they get found out. i'm not gonna narc on them but i'm not going to protect them either. let the chips fall as they may.

but also maybe try to think about why someone else's incompetence bothers you so much.

then the thing i work on would be broken and our users would be sad. i have empathy for my users, so that makes me sad too. i guess if you are working on something that no one uses or you hate the people who use it then there would be no reason to give a gently caress, but thankfully that is not my job and i would get a new one if it became that.

it's really loving weird that you're trying to blame capitalism for this somehow. i have the exact same feelings towards net-negative coworkers as i do towards net-negative contributors to open source projects i have worked on in the past. idgaf about a potato who does nothing and gets a paycheck; i care about people who actively get in the way of what gives me job satisfaction.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

please explain how capitalism is relevant in any way because i really don't see it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea but if you told me that in a phone interview I would have a million follow up questions. 100% a red flag. An LLC visible on the sec of state website is official and, in my state, trivial to make. Yes I will spend 0.07% of my yearly salary to have a 7 year old company registered and current. poo poo looks official when they check you out.

calling that a red flag is just you being really weird. software developers spending a few years freelancing before looking for a normal job again is incredibly normal and no one gives a gently caress if you bothered to make a llc for it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

offering that up seems like a good idea because if you’re opposed to vaccine mandates you don’t want to get a job where that’s a problem anyway

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

it is true that a nlogn algorithm can be faster than the n algorithm for the values of n that you care about, and it is also true that logn is less than one when n is one, but those two facts aren't actually connected and the second isn't the reason why the first is true

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

trying to fix the root cause of problems even when it takes ten times as long as the workaround would have taken is much more satisfying and long-term better for your career since it means you're learning more. obviously that's not always possible though.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

do your best to not tell them about the one week option if you think it’s important enough

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

barkbell posted:

i bet that uxer got a fat raise for it

people don't actually get bonuses or raises for making their employer money

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Xik posted:

things you probably shouldn't put on your cover letter:

"I have a sexual assault conviction but it doesn't affect my work"

it's better than not putting it on your cover letter and wasting a ton of time interviewing with companies that'll end up rejecting you when they do a background check

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

you don't want revenue for an A round. once you have revenue you're valued on that rather than whatever metric you can scrounge up that gives a nice up and to the right graph. you do need something that's going up fast, though.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

when i interviewed at ms the hotel room service guy "reminded" me as i was deciding on a tip that my per diem was $75. i had no problem with giving $40 or whatever of ms's money to a hotel worker and i assume like 90% of his income was from people interviewing at ms.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

if you have equity grants from before 2020 then you're in very good shape because the whole industry saw stock prices triple in 2020 but i haven't seen any indications that companies are tripling _new_ grants after that

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

found out yesterday our yearly reviews have no impact on our figgies so why even bother now lolol

asked what does and my manager has no clue. thanks HR

we do quarterly reviews and one of them each year is explicitly "write some stuff that helps your manager justify a raise". the other three are apparently pointless busywork done to placate hr. based on this quarter's hr is under the impression that we have okrs so i proudly wrote that i nailed all of mine, which is vacuously true.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

getting completely nonsensical errors from swift is so incredibly normal that learning how to persuade the compiler to tell you something useful is one of the most important skills for writing swift

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

no one who hasn't personally worked on the thing you refactored cares about your refactorings, no matter how amazing it is. that's the sort of thing that makes sense to mention in an interview with a potential team member, but most hiring managers will see that on a resume and conclude that you don't do anything useful.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Good Sphere posted:

Is it extremely unadvisable to accept contract work through a staffing agency? I've done work by contract, but unfamiliar with this.The staffing agency are the ones that pay you. The service they provide is knowledge of your background and skills, so that their clients don't have to interview multiple times. They still usually interview you once. I'm pretty much on board now, besides getting assigned a client, which happens in January.

staffing agency jobs tend to be the bottom tier of software jobs in terms of pay and technical challenge. if you're looking for something relatively short-term that isn't high-pressure and doesn't expect you to work more than 40 hours/week it can be a good route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

if you want to really blow up some bridges you could do the interview, recording your pov, and then send it to the hiring company

this would be very likely to cause you a lot of pain and problems